AMC Empire 25

234 W. 42nd Street,
New York, NY 10036

ridethectrain
ridethectrain on January 9, 2017 at 4:25 pm

Theatre 8 usef to be theatre 6. The manager said the number changed due to the original plans. It was supposed to be 8 when the theatre opened in 2000

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 9, 2017 at 3:08 pm

I think AMC should renovate every screen with recliners but that would cost a lot of money and time for a 16 year old complex that slowly became the top grossing theater in America after a lukewarm summer in 2000.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on January 9, 2017 at 3:05 pm

Alpinedownhiller- I think it’s screen 6 (certainly is the one which used to be ETX) which is now the Dolby Cinema screen, and that has fewer seats because it uses those large recliners that cut seating capacity more than half.

Also there are two IMAX laser locations in the Washington D.C. area (part of the Smithsonian museum system and thus can’t play R rated movies, but do play other Hollywood IMAX releases), but true there are more in other parts of the country as well as certain overseas markets.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on January 9, 2017 at 2:56 pm

@Kurtpvincent – if you want deep blacks and great contrast, etc. check out IMAX Laser, I’d say it outdoes ever the best film did for contrast and color (unfortunately there are barely any around, I think Lincoln Square and Reading, Boston are the only two in the entire Northeast)

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on January 9, 2017 at 2:53 pm

Thanks.

One odd thing is I found a review that claims #6 is the ETX screen but looking at the seating list on the other page, #6 has only 156 seats. The article also said #7 was big but that has even less seats. I wonder if they re-did the auditorium numbers since that 2011 article?

Hopefully the seating list on the other page isn’t wrong with the numbering.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on January 9, 2017 at 10:18 am

Just to elaborate a bit further, the IMAX is obviously the biggest screen in this theater, though the Dolby Cinema and screens 13 and 18 (which have over 370 seats) are large as well. I think a few screens in the 20s on the top floor are pretty small, but in general the other screens are at least typical multiplex size.

poland626
poland626 on January 9, 2017 at 4:26 am

@alpinedownhiller

Based on the earlier comment about seating sizes per screen, it says #17 has 262 seats. That’s a good size and not a shoebox screen with 100 or less seats

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on January 8, 2017 at 9:08 pm

What are the screen sizes like here? Are any those super tiny little shoe box screens? Anyone know if #17 is tiny or pretty big?

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on December 19, 2016 at 2:45 pm

Sounds similar to what i usually watch at AMC in Rockaway with a 2d version of a 3d converted movie where the movie looks sharp during the previews but when the lights go down its blurry. This theater is in need of an upgrade soon.

Kurtpvincent
Kurtpvincent on December 18, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Be warned – saw Rogue One last night in theater 18 – in 2d. Projector image was subpar – very dim with poor contrast. It wasn’t bad enough for people to walk out – but it was not great. Really missing the vibrancy of a good old film print.

markp
markp on December 1, 2016 at 9:15 am

I have to say that I cant disagree with you folks. Me personally, I can care less about all this laser stuff, etc, but these people with the which seat in which row and this and that. Whatever happened to just going to the movies, watch the damn thing, and enjoy it? I guess I’m just really getting old or I missed something along the way.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on November 30, 2016 at 4:46 pm

hdtv267 is not the annoying one here, although his responding to every asinine post can get a little tiring.

This is not a blog about current attractions, ticket sales, etc. Please find somewhere else to discuss those matters…

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on November 30, 2016 at 4:00 pm

“MISSION:IMPOSSIBLE 2”, “GLADIATOR” and “THE PERFECT STORM” all out-grossed “X-MEN” that summer.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on November 30, 2016 at 3:02 pm

stop annoying us, hdtv267. When this theater opened back in April of 2000, the top grossing movie for the summer of that year was X-Men at the Empire since it played only there and not Loews Ewalk.

celboy
celboy on November 28, 2016 at 12:54 am

logged in at 1201 got my tix & seats but transactions never completed—-3x—ended up on mac website cause fandango had 20 min wait

celboy
celboy on November 27, 2016 at 11:32 pm

Went to theater to get rogue one tix in person bit box office closing at 1145 so this is a fandango sell only…bummer…i got my TFA tix in person because of fandango crash probability

plagasX
plagasX on November 25, 2016 at 5:41 pm

Whats the exact screen size for the Dolby Cinema??

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on November 18, 2016 at 12:07 pm

How about the “Now Open” ad posted on photos page 11…?

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on November 15, 2016 at 3:13 pm

Any grand opening ads? I remember hearing about this theater via the New York Times 16 years ago. It’s still the largest theater in the NYC area and with the most screens.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on October 8, 2016 at 7:24 pm

Yes Force Awakens sold more tickets than Avatar and lasted longer here until April of this year.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on October 7, 2016 at 10:45 pm

I think the double bill of Fists of Fury and Five Fingers of Death did pretty well back in the day…

xbs2034
xbs2034 on October 7, 2016 at 6:17 pm

Moviebuff82- IMAX has said they’ve started developing a laser system for the smaller screens, though there is no timeframe given for when it would be ready or any guarantee it would be put here early on (Lincoln Square waited two years), so I wouldn’t expect it for a long while.

As for highest grossing movie ever here, I think it would likely be The Force Awakens (#1 domestic film ever unadjusted for inflation, as well as the top adjusted gross since this theater’s been open, and it played to big crowds here well into it’s release) with Avatar probably the only other possible alternative.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on October 7, 2016 at 2:41 pm

What’s the highest grossing movie at this theater?