AMC Empire 25

234 W. 42nd Street,
New York, NY 10036

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on May 15, 2016 at 8:23 pm

Jumping Jehosaphat, who the hell cares.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 15, 2016 at 4:27 pm

X-Men will have huge grosses at this place. Outside the USA and Canada, this movie will be shown in Imax while we get Alice 2 in Imax.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on May 14, 2016 at 11:23 am

X-Men Apocalypse is going to playing both here (in Dolby Cinema and regular formats) and the Ewalk (regular formats and then RPX and 4DX), as well as both theaters on East 86th street, plus other theaters very close to each other.

I understand some of the reasons behind passing the clearance rules, and maybe it’s just that it’s new to me, but on first impression I don’t like it. It feels to me like a way for the biggest studio releases to get everywhere, and that might leave less room for smaller releases (and I like blockbusters probably more than most people, so don’t want to sound like I’m hating on them, but feel having variety in film options is crucial).

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 10, 2016 at 3:43 pm

Too bad Civil War isn’t playing in dolby cinema at this location yet they keep Jungle Book.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 2, 2016 at 11:38 am

Yes. Remember when Star Wars Episode I came out and most of the Loews Cineplex theaters wouldn’t show it? http://www.nytimes.com/1999/05/15/arts/manhattan-s-loews-screens-won-t-show-star-wars.html

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on April 25, 2016 at 7:41 pm

Are you all just discovering PRODUCT SPLITTING? It has always been very common and has also been very illegal.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on April 25, 2016 at 7:37 pm

Same for Loews Wayne and Wayne Preakness.

greenth1ng
greenth1ng on April 22, 2016 at 10:04 am

I can definitely relate to this. West Town / Wynnsong 16 and Knoxville Center 10 / Carmike 10 in Knoxville are just like this E-Walk / Empire 25 situation.

waterguy56
waterguy56 on April 22, 2016 at 9:38 am

thanks everyone. It’s interesting to know there is actually some sort of “agreement” between empire and e walk. Now I see why London has fallen and Huntsman were not played at empire’s Dolby Cinema. Wish there could be more movies getting released at this Dolby Cinema because it’s fun to watch movie there, and it’s the only Dolby Cinema in NYC!

xbs2034
xbs2034 on April 21, 2016 at 9:52 am

Yes, typically films can’t play both here and the E-Walk, though Fox has said they are dropping that clause from their contracts starting with X-Men: Apocalypse (so it could become the first movie to play in same locations simultaneously in years, if not ever).

Age of Ultron also played the E Walk instead of Empire, which was nice as it freed up this theater to be one of the few domestic locations to play Mad Max: Fury Road in IMAX during its initial release.

mhvbear
mhvbear on April 21, 2016 at 7:41 am

Maybe because it is booked into the Regal E-Walk 13 across the street.

waterguy56
waterguy56 on April 21, 2016 at 6:34 am

How come Captain America will not be played at this theater and its Dolby Cinema?

poland626
poland626 on April 15, 2016 at 1:40 pm

This is the Dolby Cinema 3d experience now with the jungle book. It’s a brand new 3d system apparently and not even at all locations yet

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on March 16, 2016 at 11:30 am

When did AMC Empire 25 first get digital projectors? I know the E Walk had a digital 8 channel sdds presentation of Final Fantasy The Spirits Within nearly 15 years ago. I think they stopped showing 35mm film around 2010 or so.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on March 14, 2016 at 1:25 pm

So how many seats does Theatre 1 have? (I couldn’t tell from the posts above…)

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on March 14, 2016 at 11:51 am

Even with the recent changes to this theater, this place still brings in the big bucks along with that other top theater in Lincoln Square which will get the laser IMAX first before Empire gets it.

ridethectrain
ridethectrain on March 8, 2016 at 7:54 pm

Theatres 13 and 18 are the 2nd biggest 371 seats, followed by 9 and 14 301 seats. 12 and 17 255. Prime now screen 8 218

Theatre 2 50 Theatre 3 122 Theatre 4 73 Theatre 5 129 Theatre 6 154 7.140
10 and 15 117 11 and 16 95
19 137
20 139
21 117
22 95
23 76
24 95
25 140

The Prime auditorium lost 400 seats. That used to be the biggest auditorium, but when it was ETX/Dolby Atmos They must had trouble selling it out due to know one wanted to pay $20. to see the film

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on February 26, 2016 at 6:39 pm

Are all screens 4k projection with the exception of the digital IMAX?

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 20, 2016 at 4:43 pm

Which screens have 7.1 and which ones have 5.1?

xbs2034
xbs2034 on January 20, 2016 at 12:35 pm

The Prime (now Dolby Cinema) certainly does not have the second most seats as it uses those recliners which cut down seating capacity dramatically.

There is a regular screen (think theater #13 but not sure) on the second main floor which has a lot of seats and my guess is second to IMAX.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 20, 2016 at 11:35 am

Which screen has the most seats? I think the IMAX is, followed by the AMC Prime auditorium.

Movieholic
Movieholic on December 23, 2015 at 8:16 am

It’s an understatement to say this place is HUGE! I saw “Captain Phillips” here two years ago in, I think, Auditorium 6, which is probably one of the smaller ones but still nice. I’d come back.