Sony Columbus Circle

15 Columbus Circle,
New York, NY 10019

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on October 4, 2005 at 6:35 am

I saw a couple of films here, but the only one I can specifically remember was a 1980’s restoration of the British horror film The Wicker Man, which had been released here in the U.S. in a seriously truncated version back in the early ‘70’s. The theater was still called the Paramount at the time. Presently, a feng shui inspired unisphere (not unlike the '64 Worlds Fair remnant that stands in Flushing Meadow Park – but much smaller) is situated more or less on the spot where the exterior entrance to the Paramount used to be.

moviesmovies
moviesmovies on July 14, 2005 at 12:57 pm

Saw ‘Hair’, ‘The Great Gatsby’ and ‘Catch-22’ here.

bazookadave
bazookadave on July 13, 2005 at 6:36 am

I recall this as being named the Paramount. I saw “Ghost” and “Dave” here. Seems like yesterday! And now the theater is a subterranean carpark. What a sad but predictable end to an entertainment venue.

Ron Newman
Ron Newman on July 1, 2005 at 5:27 pm

From Loew’s 1981 annual report:

“During the year the [Theatres] Division assumed management of the Paramount Theatre at Columbus Circle in New York City…”

RobertR
RobertR on April 25, 2005 at 2:14 pm

Was that the same Little Prince that opened at the Music Hall?

jbels
jbels on April 25, 2005 at 12:35 pm

Went on a school trip to this theatre to see The Little Prince.

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on January 25, 2005 at 10:41 pm

Due to it’s location under the plaza, there were constant water problems – at least in the Rugoff/Cinema 5 years. When it would rain, the front of the auditorium, the lowest point, would fill up with rain water. The landlord of the G+W Building was either unable or unwilling to repair it.

The little hatbox-shaped entry kiosk on the plaza had a digital sign surrounding the cornice (though it was done in hundreds of small light bulbs in those pre-LED days) that never worked correctly. Eventually, Loews put up a couple of conventional back-lit sign that used standard Zip Change letters for the picture titles.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on January 25, 2005 at 10:19 pm

I saw The Graduate here for the first time, during a revival run. I left the theater wanting to tell everyone about this great movie that I’d just seen, but of course the picture was already decades old and there was no one to tell.

deleted user
[Deleted] on January 25, 2005 at 4:33 pm

The address posted in another sub as 15 Columbus Circle is the correct address for this theatre. I show 535 seats for this theatre as posted above by Warren.

DonRosen
DonRosen on December 13, 2004 at 3:55 pm

I saw The Exorcist at it’s NY premiere there.

RobertR

10/20 Fat Man & Little Boy
11/17 Steel Magnolias
1/12/90 Music Box
2/16 Stanley & Iris

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on July 21, 2004 at 1:30 pm

Sorry, the bank teller comment was directed to Andy T, not David S.

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on July 21, 2004 at 1:01 pm

Warren, David S, look it up? I did just that an hour ago! “Cria!” opened at the Plaza on East 58th Street and was reviewed in the New York Times on May 19, 1977. Subsequently it expanded to the Paramount at Broadway and 61st Street, and by the time I saw it at the Paramount on June 22, 1977, it was playing at BOTH theatres. Must have done good business because of the rave reviews. David, if you don’t believe me, check the New York Times for June 22, 1977 and you will see a “Cria!” ad shared by both theatres.

Now, with regard to that bank teller, I hope you restored the money. If not, perhaps you could send it to me instead.

AndyT
AndyT on July 21, 2004 at 10:44 am

Easy there Gerald. I remember a bank teller avering that they didn’t make mistakes at that bank. I walked out with an extra $100 in my pocket.

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on July 21, 2004 at 9:49 am

Davids, I do not confuse. “Cria!” played at the Paramount, not at the Studio, and I noted it in my log and journal. Art films may have been unusual for this venue, but “Cria!” did have a run there.

SethLewis
SethLewis on July 21, 2004 at 9:44 am

David S you’re right…The Paramount pretty much daydated with the Sutton for most of its life…occasionally with other Loews Eastside theatres and occasionally with the Coronet/Baronet…the opening attraction was Catch 22…The Great Gatsby did a reserved seat run there daydating with Loews State 1 and Loews Tower East on General Admission not that anyone was breaking down the doors

davids
davids on July 21, 2004 at 8:23 am

Gerald, I think u confuse the Paramount with Cinema Studio, located few blocks further up, on broadway & 66th. CRIA! was an art film, the kind of films they used to show at the studios (2 screens).I remember seeing at the Paramount movies such as RAGING BULL (‘80), THE IN-LAWS (firsr version) and TOOTSIE ('82). I m pretty sure. I lived in that area back then.

jays
jays on March 15, 2004 at 8:21 am

in the exact space under the now Trump International Hotel and Tower stands an under ground parking garage where the theatre stood.

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on March 15, 2004 at 2:29 am

The only time I was in that theatre, and I remember it well, was to see Carlos Saura’s haunting CRIA! (Cria Cuervos) an the late 70s.

RobertR
RobertR on February 4, 2004 at 8:55 am

I remember the original electronic marquee Cinema 5 had was screwed up alot and either had old titles flashing or nothing at all. They later redid it with a better electronic/conventional one. I am not sure if Cinema 5 did that or Loews.

SethLewis
SethLewis on September 4, 2002 at 4:24 am

This was actually a fun place to see a movie when I was a kid…starting with a ride down the escalator and the circular grey and black corridors…Opened as a Paramount showcase and operated by Rugoff/Cinema 5 before switching to Loews in the late 80s.

I remember seeing Little Big Man, Murder on the Orient Express, Eight Men Out and a revival of The Manchurian Candidate here

William
William on August 27, 2002 at 9:53 am

The theatre was also known as the Loew’s Paramount theatre.