PlayStation Theater

1515 Broadway,
New York, NY 10036

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on November 13, 2015 at 9:19 pm

I think this is called the PlayStation Theater now…

Ugh. How far can you get from “Loew’s” and “Astor” and “Plaza”

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on November 9, 2015 at 7:24 pm

If only a single screen theater like this one showed the new star wars movie just like the Original trilogy…remember when Star wars was reissued in 1997 the astor chose not to show it as the rival ziegfeld from cineplex odeon got the rights to show it as well as the prequels when it became a clearview due to the loews cineplex merger. If the ziegfeld closes, as it was with Loews 72nd st, then an era of single screen non-imax palaces are over…

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on September 17, 2015 at 4:42 pm

I saw several movies here when I lived in NYC. From what I remember, Star Wars, Altered States, Superman, Raiders Of The Lost Ark and the rest I can’t remember

theatrefan
theatrefan on September 17, 2015 at 11:31 am

I had the pleasure of seeing 2001: A Space Odyssey here during the 70mm reissue by Warner Brothers/Turner in Dec. 2001. While the auditorium and lobby were nothing special, the picture and sound quality were both excellent. The picture was bright, sharp & the soundtrack was crystal clear as well. In a bit of a funny irony I had also seen 2010: The Year We Make Contact in Dec. 84, seventeen years prior, no where even close to the original from 1968. I can only imagine what a breathtaking experience it must have been to see 2001 originally at the Loew’s Capitol in 68.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on September 16, 2015 at 6:24 pm

I will add that the auditorium was orange in color. My photos are linked but none of the auditorium as even its last days staff didn’t allow interior photos. My digital camera then wouldn’t likely have well captured the auditorium though my current camera would as evidenced by my photos of the Ziegfeld, Paris, and in other cities shared on this site.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on September 16, 2015 at 4:21 pm

Unlike the Ziegfeld, there really weren’t any “surroundings” nor was the auditorium very notable in terms of visuals other than being large. It had great sightlines & great surround sound & used the curtain. It was a great presentation of movies.

Movieholic
Movieholic on September 16, 2015 at 3:54 pm

The only movie I saw at this theater, when it was known as the Loews Astor Plaza, was “Jade.” I literally arrived right when it was starting and had no time check out the surroundings. I only remember the screen and auditorium being large. I wish I’d seen more films here.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on November 6, 2014 at 2:17 pm

To many sci fi fans this was the theater to see the original Star Wars movie trilogy in Manhattan on one big screen. I always seen this theater on TV. Imagine if it still showed movies rather than be converted into a live venue for concerts and special events. Happy belated 40th to this theater and 10th for its reincarnation as its current form next year.

markp
markp on November 6, 2014 at 9:58 am

its a bit over 10 years since this large single screen theatre bit the dust.

marklyons
marklyons on November 15, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Would always go here for the big films, one of my favorites..

SAMMY5858
SAMMY5858 on September 13, 2013 at 4:53 am

I remembering when i was 21` i went on a double date to see Star Wars in July of 1977 with my brother at the Astor Plaza Theater it was a hot summer night we waited on that long line with our dates it was a very good movie for its time, the Astor Plaza was a nice movie theater, this movie was talked about for so long we had to go see it, those was the good old days and 1977 was a wild year a lot of things happen that year the black out in all big movies came out that year

BobbyS
BobbyS on August 8, 2013 at 11:52 pm

Thanks Tinseltoes for your BOXOFFICE. LOEWS Astor was a great place to see a picture…Nothing that large left in Chicago at present. I fear for the Zeigfeld in NY..

Bway
Bway on November 17, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Yes, I believe that is because the UA Twin is no longer in operation, so the best known name is used. If however the Rivoli was currently open, it would be titled the UA Twin.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on November 16, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I think the policy is that if a theater is currently in operation, even if it has been converted into a live venue and isn’t showing movies, it will be listed by its current name, and have its movie house names as AKAs.

In the case of theaters that are gone, such as the Rivoli, if they operated under one name for most of their history and under a later name for a fairly short time, it makes sense to use the name by which the greatest number of people visiting the site would probably remember it.

Incidentally, if you want to find the Rivoli under its final name, you have to search CT with the full name United Artists Twin. Nine other currently listed houses called UA Twin can be found only under the abbreviated name. Wikipedia-style redirects would be useful.

robboehm
robboehm on November 16, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Unfortunately there are a number of listings set up as, for example, UA Twin,without a clue as to where they are. But current CT logic gives you many ways of tracking down a theatre/theater.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on November 16, 2011 at 10:53 am

There are some odd wrinkles here and there, however, Bway. You can still find the old Rivoli Theatre under its original name, rather than the awful and generic “UA Twin,” as the grand old theater was known in its final years. And thank heaven for that!

Bway
Bway on November 15, 2011 at 10:36 pm

By the way, the search feature on the site searches current AND former names. If you search “Astor Plaza” for this theater in the search box above….one theater comes up. The Best Buy Theater. So if you are searching theaters by their “most famous name”, even if the name is now some other name, the theater will come up in search.

Bway
Bway on November 15, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Ed, in reference to “using the most recent name” is a decision that was made for consistency. Many theaters had several names, and sometimes it’s latest name is it’s most popular. Sometimes, it’s old name was the most popular, sometimes some name it had in the middle. For consistency’s sake, they chose to title theaters by their most recent name. For every theater that may have suffered by having it’s “most recent name” as the current heading name, there are others that benefited from it. It makes sense for consistency, and otherwise subjective things would have to be used to title a theater.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on November 15, 2011 at 11:35 am

When I first started working in the movie theatre industry in 1974 it was very clear. Legit use was ‘theater’ and cinema use was ‘theatre’, even in cases where the same company owned both types of venues. Whether there was a stage or never a consideration.

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on November 15, 2011 at 10:01 am

I have always been told that a place with a stage and fly loft was a ‘theater’ A cinema without staging capabilities was a ‘theatre’.

robboehm
robboehm on November 15, 2011 at 8:13 am

Ed, you’ll notice that the aka portion of this theatre lists it as Astor Plaza, not Loews. You’ll find a lot of inconsistencies on how the theatres were set up. There are some Century’s listed with the Century, some without. But the aka ability does give you the best crack at something which is listed by it’s most recent name.

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on November 15, 2011 at 2:23 am

It’s primarily a concert venue.

Ed Miller
Ed Miller on November 15, 2011 at 1:47 am

I agree with LuisV that the theaters here should be posted by their most famoius name. When I put Loews Ator Plaza in the search engine, it came back as “theater not found”. What I’m not understanding about the Best Buy is: is it a theater, a club, or a concert venue?

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on March 21, 2011 at 4:06 pm

In these type of venues the source of the unique ‘aroma’ is the carpeting – a combination of spilled beer, barf and far too frequent applications of carpet shampoo that isn’t allowed to dry before spilling more beer and barf on it.

Bway
Bway on March 21, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I haven’t been there since it first reopened as the Nokia Theater shortly after it closed as the Astor Plaza. Too bad, as it was nice back then, but then again it was pretty new yet when I was there. Now it sounds like a typical club with sticky floors.