Byrd Theatre

2908 W. Cary Street,
Richmond, VA 23221

byrdone
byrdone on January 13, 2008 at 10:41 pm

To be sure the publicity is great. I never said they come up with anything they believe is fake, what I think is that they are conviced that what ever they “detect” is otherworldly. I’ve been at the Byrd for 20 years and have never seen or heard anything that isn’t totally explainable. The ghost hunters don’t want to know about real world explanations

SinisterBanana
SinisterBanana on January 13, 2008 at 10:20 pm

The Ghost Hunters crew try to disprove hauntings, not come up with fake hauntings for publicity. Either way the theater should be thankful for the publicity…

byrdone
byrdone on January 13, 2008 at 9:16 pm

For a very early exterior photo of the Byrd, check
www.richmondthenandnow.com the click Richmond Then and Now the Byrd photo will be on page 7 of the photos

byrdone
byrdone on January 13, 2008 at 9:11 pm

The ghost hunters set up quite an array of “detection equipment” that night and detected nothing that their over active imaginations didn’t cause them to find. They got annoyed when we referred to them as ghost busters. Mr. Coulter, if he really is here is much too evasive for these people to detect.

The vertical sign was taken down in ‘71. It was in poor condition and was moving back and forth with the wind because the original stabilizing rods had rusted loose inside the sign. Cables installed after the rods cam loose were working loose too. The problem was that there was no access to the inside for maintenance and repair and even if there had been there was nothing inside to climb on to get to problem areas. Once it was down it was found to be in much worse condition than anticipated and couldn’t have been put back up even if they wanted to. The blue neon marquee lights and sign were installed in the early '30s. The marquee as original had no sign or lights other than lighting for the sidewalk on the underside. Movie signs were on banners above the doors. The ends of the marquee were cut off and angled at time too.

ghamilton
ghamilton on October 31, 2007 at 7:59 pm

Of course,it may have just been Mr.Memory they encountered.I’m convinced he COULD NOT be human and come up with the spooky stuff he uncovers.

ghamilton
ghamilton on October 31, 2007 at 7:58 pm

HEY!!!Did anyone notice the article in the 10-30-issue of the RICHMOND-TIMES DISPATCH about the ghost and the ghost hunters' adventures in the Byrd over night while having strange experiences.a REAL TREAT.

byrdone
byrdone on June 10, 2007 at 7:33 pm

The Byrd Theatre has been purchased by the Byrd Theatre Foundation. After 3 years of negotiations with the estateof Samuel and Irma Warren, the foundation closed on the building a couple weeks ago. Operationally the transition was seemless. The former operating company, Nelson Commnications moved out one morning and the foundations LLC opened at 6:45 pm, the normal time that evening. There will be fund raisers etc. to raise money for some much needed repairs as well as paying off the mortgage.

BognarRegis
BognarRegis on May 31, 2007 at 10:32 am

I lived in Richmond for a few years in the late ‘90’s. One of my favorite places to hang out was Cary Town a fun evening would include visits to Plan 9 Records, World of Mirth, the tobacconist, dinner at Mary Anglea’s and a movie at The Byrd. The midnight shows were the best. I remember going to see “Pink Flamningos” there (I think I still have the stub somewhere).

BognarRegis
BognarRegis on May 31, 2007 at 10:32 am

Patsy
Patsy on February 24, 2007 at 5:08 pm

The 1930’s photo of the Byrd with its vertical sign and beautiful marquee is not what is there now which is a shame.

byrdone
byrdone on February 5, 2007 at 6:44 pm

Some updates on the Byrd. Yep! All the carbon arcs are now gone, along with the dust and the associated mess. We now have a much brighter and cleaner metal halide lighted follow spot. Also during the first week of November ‘06 we were closed for 3 days for the removal of the old sound system and the installation of a new Dolby Digital system. There are new left, right and center channel speakers as well as 4 sub woofers behind the screen. Twenty surround speakers have also been installed, giving equal coverage to the balcony as well as the main floor. The processor is a Dolby CP 650. Connecting the speakers required 5700 feet of 12 ga. speaker cable all but about ten feet of which is out of sight.

LeeWampler
LeeWampler on May 18, 2006 at 7:30 am

I forgot to mention, my grandfather (Eddied Weaver) also played at the Lowes Theater in downtown Richmond.
He actually started out playing for silent movies. In Florida in the 20’s I believe, Conneticut, New York, etc.
I once even got to see him play a feature lenght silent picture. It was the Academy Award winning, “Wings”. A film about WWI pilots which, as I remember, was over three hours long and the musical score looked like a New York City phone book in large print edition.
I’ll shut up now and let someone else have a turn.
LeeWampler
ZedLee

LeeWampler
LeeWampler on May 18, 2006 at 7:22 am

I am so glad to see that people still apreciate the elegance and magic of the old movie houses!
I grew up in, around and under the Byrd Theater.
My grandfather, Eddie Weaver, wa the house organist for many, many, many years.
He would entertain twice nightly before the main feature with music,
song slide sing-alongs and his speciality, the parody.
Many times I would go along, climb down into the (dungeon) basement, go through the tiny door to the elevator shaft where the ‘Mighty Wurlitzer’ lived when it wasn’t performing, climb up next to my grandfather and ride to stage level where he would unleash the awesome power of the organ pipes, the ghost percussion section and the piano in the side balcony that seemed to play itself!
I once even met a celebrity there. When the James Bond film “Goldfinger” was playing, I met Harold ‘Odd-Job’ Sakata, the right-hand hench man for Goldfinger. I wasn’t allowed to see the movie so I didn’t know he was a “bad guy”. He was very large and scary at first but turned out to be very nice and gentle and gave me an autographed picture.
Ah, memories……….
Lee Wampler
zedlee

ghamilton
ghamilton on May 5, 2006 at 12:01 pm

Where in NEW YORK can you drive your car to FREE,safe parking,have a good meal for 2 for under 30.00,see a current movie in a REAL movie palace for 2(each) entire dollars?????Where Mr Big Town???

Hi2lowgan86
Hi2lowgan86 on May 5, 2006 at 9:00 am

Thankyou. I couldn’t agree with you more, Very well said.

rproark
rproark on May 5, 2006 at 6:58 am

Yep, I think we all agree that the statement above made by Camden was rather ridiculous. Unfortunately, that sort of sentiment runs rampant with many New Yorkers. “If it’s not in New York…..IT’S CRAP!!!” Give me a break.

I’ve never spent any time in Richmond (only passed through), but everything I’ve read and seen of the city looks just great. The Byrd Theatre looks incredible, and I hope to visit in person some day soon.

Keep your heads up, Richmond. I’d rather be in a dungeon in your town than a penthouse in New Stinkin' York.

ghamilton
ghamilton on March 6, 2006 at 9:23 am

One fun thing about the Byrd is the eateries close by.The Thai place just out the front door and to the East is great.BBQ right across the street.Everything you could want is close by.Parking isn’t a big deal.The downtown private contract parking nazis aren’t much in evidence here.The funky stores should be avoided by all females-that means you Patsy-the temptations are irresistable to that side of the human race.

ghamilton
ghamilton on March 6, 2006 at 9:15 am

Forgot to mention-the balconey is the place to sit-the seats aren’t as worn and the view is beyond compare.

ghamilton
ghamilton on March 6, 2006 at 9:12 am

Sometimes we forget what this is all about.Sat.night my wife and myself went to the big Byrd.The Chronicles of Narnia was the earlier feature.Full house with tons of families and people of all ages.The organ program was great,just not long enough.People loved the movie,clapped,cheered,left with smiles.I watched people before the lights went down.You could tell who had never been there before.The wide-eyed wonder was not hard to see.It was like going to the theater 50 years ago.WHAT A BLAST!!!What a treasure.I still wish there was a section here on JUST movie palaces that show movies.Anybody within 100 or so miles of Cary St.should support this marvelous place.Every time I go there I feel like a little kid again,going to the Florida or the Palace in a Jacksonville that is long-gone.

enterstellar1
enterstellar1 on September 1, 2005 at 3:44 pm

FUND RAISER. Hello everyone. The Byrd is one of my favorite places because it has everything; old movies, new movies, and even great architecture. Recently I did a drawing of this awesome building and made prints. The framed prints sell for 25 dollars, but 10 will be donated directly to the Byrd. Check out the display when you see your next movie there or view the image at www.ArtWanted.com/mlmmlm777art . I am excited to help preserve the Byrd for future generations. I hope you enjoy viewing the drawing.
Thanks,
Michael Martin

Hi2lowgan86
Hi2lowgan86 on August 5, 2005 at 9:05 pm

I agree with Mr. Gibbs and others that the statement, “a shame the theatre isn’t here in New York City, where it could serve a more discerning population and wouldn’t more or less go to waste,” a very insulting comment. Many Richmond locals as well as tourists enjoy the Byrd Theatre. It is certainly not a waste being in Richmond, as this city has quite a history. Being only eighteen, my friends and I go to many of the shows at the Byrd and appreciate its marble, crystal chandaliers, and velvet drapes. New generations should be able to appreciate it just as the old generations did. Perhaps I am overly defensive being a Richmond “native,” but Richmond is an amazing town and deserves to have such an incredible piece of histoy in its town.

Suwanti
Suwanti on July 21, 2005 at 3:55 am

It is glad to learn that Byrd Theatre can be saved and still shows movies nowsadays.

balto18
balto18 on July 12, 2005 at 10:05 pm

Quote from above:

What an absolutely insulting thing to say! Richmond is a beautiful old city with a fine history. Although nowhere near New York’s size, it has a well-educated, lively and interesting population. Although a Baltimore native I lived for two delightful years in Richmond and, frankly, have never seen anything in Babylon-on-the-Hudson that could match Richmond for elegance and graciousness. If New York is so discerning, why are the Paramount and the Roxy gone? Of course New York is more metropolitan, but please, Camden, don’t write off Richmond just because it isn’t New York. The Byrd is not wasted on Richmond; nor is the Loew’s or the Mosque. It does seem, though, that the Paramount WAS wasted on New York.

ghamilton
ghamilton on June 22, 2005 at 8:33 am

ONE THING THAT IS A FACT!!!the Byrd is the grandest theater in the whole region that still shows normal,scheduled movies.Yes,the Carpenter and a few others in the mid-Atlatic are a bit grander or larger,but NO movies.You don’t have to pay 35 dollars or more to see the trans-siberian ballet and bagpipers to enjoy the experience.I’ve tried to figure out how many great theaters still operate as the Byrd.There are not many in the entire country.