Victory Drive-In

13037 Victory Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 91606

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on September 17, 2005 at 4:43 pm

Sorry, not movieman. Manwithnoname. My apologies.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on September 17, 2005 at 4:42 pm

I paged through movieman’s John Margolies link. There are some great color photos of old theaters on the website. Well worth a look.

GEORGIGOLD
GEORGIGOLD on May 11, 2005 at 1:05 pm

Peter Kerasiotis aka Pete Scott who was the artist for the mural on the Victory Theater was also responsible for the beautiful rotunda at the entrance of the now imploded Landmark Hotel in Las Vegas.
It was a series of eight mosaic tile murals depicting famous landmarks of the world such as Acropolis, Leanina Tower of Pisa, the Taj Majal and others.

GEORGIGOLD
GEORGIGOLD on May 9, 2005 at 12:05 pm

Francia, email me regarding your

DavidJ
DavidJ on April 11, 2005 at 7:49 pm

I went to work at the Victory in 1963 and was there for a couple of years. I eventually was the snack bar manager. The theater manager was Ed Topell. He and his brother Harold lived behind the theater in a home owned by the company. The Victory was not a Pacific Theater but advertised with them and accepted their passes. The same company owned the Gilmore and a few other theaters. I would love to hear from anyone who worked with me or was a regular customer.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on December 8, 2004 at 5:33 pm

Damn. Let’s try that link again…

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on December 8, 2004 at 5:32 pm

Here is a link to a photo of the Victory’s mural:

www.hoopla.org/…/ pages/0419VictoryDriveIn.htm

ljChase
ljChase on May 22, 2004 at 7:04 pm

The Victory Drive in Theater was located on Victory between Ethel and Coldwater. I too would love to find a photo of its beautiful western mural. It was the place to go in the ‘50s…I associate the theater with my many fond childhood memories.

Francia
Francia on February 29, 2004 at 8:42 pm

The western mural on the Victory Drive-In in the San Fernando Valley was painted by my father, Peter Kerasiotis (aka Pete Scott). If anyone has a photo of it, I would appreciate hearing from them.

William
William on December 17, 2003 at 3:29 pm

The architect of the Victory Drive-In was William Glenn Balch. The Victory Drive-In is not in Van Nuys, its more North Hollywood area of the Valley. The Victory had a capacity for 650 cars and was operated by Pacific Theatres. Mr. Balch’s firm also designed many other Drive-Ins in the Southern California area. They designed the Century Drive/In (1949-Inglewood), Compton Drive/In (1949-Compton), Gage Drive/In (1949-Bell Gardens), San Pedro Drive/In (1949-San Pedro), Terrace Drive/In (1949-Bakersfield), El Monte Drive/In (1948-El Monte), Gilmore Drive/In (1948-Los Angeles), Lakewood Drive/In (1948-N.Long Beach), Van Nuys Drive/In (1948-Van Nuys). Many of the Drive-Ins that his firm designed had large murals painted on the screen towers. Many of the murals have been turned to dust, when Pacific Theatres added more screens to the Drive-In lots.

Alanbaer
Alanbaer on December 16, 2003 at 11:06 pm

This theatre was remarkable and an important part of my childhood in the sixties. If someone can manage to get the image from Westways Magazine or others I would be grateful. My memories are many. My grandfather was a friend of the manager, Ed Topel and I spent time in the projectionist’s room with Al the projectionist. He was a wonderful guy. I have many stories to tell. I do know that it was christened in 1949 by Doris Day. The western mural was classic. I was a young boy and this was my Cinema Paradiso …..

A. Baer