Whitman Theatre

160 Walt Whitman Road,
Huntington Station, NY 11746

Bloop
Bloop on May 2, 2011 at 9:36 am

It’s like the monolith from “2001: a Space Odyssey” !

robboehm
robboehm on March 12, 2011 at 8:56 am

I noticed that, too, the other day. What always surprised me about the pylon was that it just said Whitman Theatre. Century was never shy about identifying their properties, particularly on the facades of their later theatres. Perhaps a zoning thing. The simple design may be the reason for it’s survival; it’s innocuous.

Bloop
Bloop on March 12, 2011 at 4:07 am

As of March 2011; the Pylon is still up and in nice shape! Maybe this is something symbolic? The spirit of Cinema Treasures fans are keeping it preserved. I liked this theater because it looked “very 1960s” in the 80s!

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on July 16, 2010 at 3:13 pm

A.K.A Loews Whitman?

Fixer3
Fixer3 on January 8, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Photo of the Whitman Theater pylon sign on Route 110 taken on December 8, 2010 (yes, it is Elvis' birthday)…Note: the electric meter is still attached. It’s the Whitman because it is right across the street from the birthplace of Walt Whitman.

robboehm
robboehm on January 6, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Pylon is still up and not vandalized. Amazing.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on October 21, 2009 at 9:21 pm

pylon is up as of last week ..looks like it did years ago…good shape!

konga5
konga5 on June 27, 2008 at 1:03 pm

JUNE 27, 2008. THE PYLON IS STILL THERE! The memory lives on!

konga5
konga5 on June 27, 2008 at 1:01 pm

KRB555! you rock! Do you remember when there was no fast food in the Whitman Mall, and us hungry teens, has to cross Route 110 to go to Arby’s (which used to be WIMPY BURGER in the 1960’s). (LOVED Arby’s Horsey Sauce!). I remember my brother and his friends went to the Whitman to see “Go Ape” (all 5 Planet of the Apes movies). I passed on that as I was too intimidated to sit in a movie theatre for 7 hours! Built in 1964, the Walt Whitman mall suffered after the great McCrorys burned down (in the May 1991) . After that, the mall was “upscaled” and geared twards affluent women and teenaged girls. This is the way ALL Long Island malls have gone! And they are more expensive than EVER!

krb555
krb555 on April 21, 2008 at 1:51 pm

I lived in the Walt Whitman mall between 1968-1978. My house was directly behind the mall on NY Avenue – so least be said that I saw just about every movie in the Whitman. Just a few that stick out at me are House of Wax in 3D, Patton & Batman (the Adam West original). Does anyone remember the summer that the Whitman ran marathons to keep the kids out of the heat (and IMHO, away from their parents)? The biggie that summer was the Planet of the Apes marathon (all 4-5 movies for a single price and it lasted 8 hours). There weren’t that many movies with sequels back then, so showings were limited. The one thing I will always get a kick out of at the Whitman was when the Route 110 Pylon only read in large letters “Fight Pay TV” – instead of promoting the movie playing at the time. Of course back then, Pay TV equated to what became Cable TV. What great times they were.

gerryrules73
gerryrules73 on February 15, 2008 at 9:59 pm

Now it’s a Cheesecake Factory restaurant

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on December 16, 2007 at 9:30 pm

I became friends with im when i went to manage the COMMACK TWIN after his friend Dwane died…When i was dm he was at LOEWS….

FormerFlixGuy
FormerFlixGuy on December 16, 2007 at 9:25 pm

Sure, he mentioned Bruce a lot. Jim was among the last of a dying breed. I’m glad I got a chance to work under his watch. A big part of making me who I am today.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on December 16, 2007 at 9:18 pm

Did he ever mention BRUCE who managed the Whitman and was the ast DM.He was a great guy also.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on December 16, 2007 at 9:17 pm

The last mtime i spoke with him he was at bay terrace!He was a great guy that got the shaft many of times after RKO SOLD OUT!

FormerFlixGuy
FormerFlixGuy on December 16, 2007 at 9:10 pm

No, he had left on disability a few years earlier. His last assignment was as Managing Director of the Loews Bay Terrace 6.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on December 16, 2007 at 8:56 pm

WAS JIM STILL WORKING AT THAT TIME……

FormerFlixGuy
FormerFlixGuy on December 16, 2007 at 6:58 pm

Jim passed in 2004, just a few months after I left Loews and the business for good. Ted retired after the AMC takeover since they eliminated all the RM positions. They’ve pretty much spent the last couple of years weeding out all the old Loews people and replacing them with their own people. I’ll never set foot in an “AMC” theatre.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on December 16, 2007 at 6:47 pm

thats who made me manager in 1983.I thought you were with cineplex…I did not know jimmy passed away, how long ago..Is Ted maligloka still around.

FormerFlixGuy
FormerFlixGuy on December 16, 2007 at 6:19 pm

I was hired in June of 1990 by the late, great Jim Ward as an Asst. Manager at the Loews Nassau Six in Levittown. Mr. Ward was the one who taught me not only to love the theatre business, but theatres as well.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on December 16, 2007 at 3:07 am

FORMER FIX IT GUY ….I THINK I MAY HAVE HIRED YOU…. WHO MADE YOU MANAGER?

Bloop
Bloop on December 3, 2007 at 7:04 pm

FormerFlixGuy, now whenever you go to eat at the over-priced Cheesecake Factory (where you have to wait like, an hour for a table) , you can remember the Whitman! Will someone PLEASE snatch up pieces of that pylon/sign that is still standing as of last week (Nov. 30, 2007)!

FormerFlixGuy
FormerFlixGuy on December 3, 2007 at 5:25 pm

I was the last manager at the Whitman before it closed for good. Actually, I was the Manager of the Shore theatre but since no one wanted the Whitman, it fell to me to staff it and keep the doors open. As a former 14-year employee of Loews, with a great respect and affinity for those who came before me, I felt sad watching this theatre die a prolonged death. The bankruptcy was the only thing that got us out of the lease. I’m now affiliated with a live theatre company and had floated the idea of moving to the former Whitman after the furniture store that replaced it closed. Our owner seriously looked into moving to the old Rockville Centre twin as well, but could not get enough funding. Though I’ve been out of the “business” for four years now, I am a frequent visitor to this site and love reading the storied of our fabled Long Island theatres and even catching the name of and old friend or two. =)

Bloop
Bloop on October 15, 2007 at 3:42 pm

Is it gone now?! Lemme check tomorrow……Now would'nt it suck if it’s gone and nobody plucked the plastic letters off for a “keep-sake” ??

RonMotta
RonMotta on October 15, 2007 at 1:35 pm

Last time I went by here I couldn’t see the pylon for the Whitman. I know it’s become obscured by trees. I was driving on the opposite end of 110, so I couldn’t really look close enough without causing an accident!