Whitman Theatre

160 Walt Whitman Road,
Huntington Station, NY 11746

Bloop
Bloop on January 19, 2012 at 8:55 am

It’s so rare to see old signs ANYWHERE on Long Island these days. Happy it’s still there & funny that it’s not worth vandalizing ?

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on January 19, 2012 at 7:42 am

I always look for it when I drive that part of Route 110.

robboehm
robboehm on January 12, 2012 at 2:39 am

The Mall management probably has forgotten about it. It’s sort of blends in with the background (which probably also has kept down vandalism).

RSB
RSB on January 11, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Yep…it still lives!

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on January 11, 2012 at 4:04 am

2012 — we nee a pylon update – does it still live??

robboehm
robboehm on November 3, 2011 at 1:04 am

Way back when Bloop mentioned the blue decor in the lobby. The large Century’s sign on the facade of the building was red with the theatre name in blue.

robboehm
robboehm on July 9, 2011 at 1:58 am

The pylon is still there and not, amazingly, vandalized. The only time I was in the theatre was the day it closed. Everything had been removed from the lobby, candy stand,etc. Can’t believe they were that anxious to repurpose it. A handful of people were watching some movie, not the one on the marquee which they had’t even bothered to change in who knows how long.

Bloop
Bloop on May 9, 2011 at 11:42 am

My imagination? very few theaters had benches, seats, places to sit in the lobby; but the Whitman did as I recall ?? I loved the blue (and green mixed in ?) color scheme.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on May 3, 2011 at 3:58 am

It lives on and on!

Bloop
Bloop on May 2, 2011 at 2:36 pm

It’s like the monolith from “2001: a Space Odyssey” !

robboehm
robboehm on March 12, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I noticed that, too, the other day. What always surprised me about the pylon was that it just said Whitman Theatre. Century was never shy about identifying their properties, particularly on the facades of their later theatres. Perhaps a zoning thing. The simple design may be the reason for it’s survival; it’s innocuous.

Bloop
Bloop on March 12, 2011 at 9:07 am

As of March 2011; the Pylon is still up and in nice shape! Maybe this is something symbolic? The spirit of Cinema Treasures fans are keeping it preserved. I liked this theater because it looked “very 1960s” in the 80s!

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on July 16, 2010 at 8:13 pm

A.K.A Loews Whitman?

Fixer3
Fixer3 on January 8, 2010 at 10:35 pm

Photo of the Whitman Theater pylon sign on Route 110 taken on December 8, 2010 (yes, it is Elvis' birthday)…Note: the electric meter is still attached. It’s the Whitman because it is right across the street from the birthplace of Walt Whitman.

robboehm
robboehm on January 7, 2010 at 3:00 am

Pylon is still up and not vandalized. Amazing.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on October 22, 2009 at 2:21 am

pylon is up as of last week ..looks like it did years ago…good shape!

konga5
konga5 on June 27, 2008 at 6:03 pm

JUNE 27, 2008. THE PYLON IS STILL THERE! The memory lives on!

konga5
konga5 on June 27, 2008 at 6:01 pm

KRB555! you rock! Do you remember when there was no fast food in the Whitman Mall, and us hungry teens, has to cross Route 110 to go to Arby’s (which used to be WIMPY BURGER in the 1960’s). (LOVED Arby’s Horsey Sauce!). I remember my brother and his friends went to the Whitman to see “Go Ape” (all 5 Planet of the Apes movies). I passed on that as I was too intimidated to sit in a movie theatre for 7 hours! Built in 1964, the Walt Whitman mall suffered after the great McCrorys burned down (in the May 1991) . After that, the mall was “upscaled” and geared twards affluent women and teenaged girls. This is the way ALL Long Island malls have gone! And they are more expensive than EVER!

krb555
krb555 on April 21, 2008 at 6:51 pm

I lived in the Walt Whitman mall between 1968-1978. My house was directly behind the mall on NY Avenue – so least be said that I saw just about every movie in the Whitman. Just a few that stick out at me are House of Wax in 3D, Patton & Batman (the Adam West original). Does anyone remember the summer that the Whitman ran marathons to keep the kids out of the heat (and IMHO, away from their parents)? The biggie that summer was the Planet of the Apes marathon (all 4-5 movies for a single price and it lasted 8 hours). There weren’t that many movies with sequels back then, so showings were limited. The one thing I will always get a kick out of at the Whitman was when the Route 110 Pylon only read in large letters “Fight Pay TV” – instead of promoting the movie playing at the time. Of course back then, Pay TV equated to what became Cable TV. What great times they were.

gerryrules73
gerryrules73 on February 16, 2008 at 2:59 am

Now it’s a Cheesecake Factory restaurant

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on December 17, 2007 at 2:30 am

I became friends with im when i went to manage the COMMACK TWIN after his friend Dwane died…When i was dm he was at LOEWS….

FormerFlixGuy
FormerFlixGuy on December 17, 2007 at 2:25 am

Sure, he mentioned Bruce a lot. Jim was among the last of a dying breed. I’m glad I got a chance to work under his watch. A big part of making me who I am today.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on December 17, 2007 at 2:18 am

Did he ever mention BRUCE who managed the Whitman and was the ast DM.He was a great guy also.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on December 17, 2007 at 2:17 am

The last mtime i spoke with him he was at bay terrace!He was a great guy that got the shaft many of times after RKO SOLD OUT!

FormerFlixGuy
FormerFlixGuy on December 17, 2007 at 2:10 am

No, he had left on disability a few years earlier. His last assignment was as Managing Director of the Loews Bay Terrace 6.