State Theatre

703 S. Broadway,
Los Angeles, CA 90014

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on February 4, 2009 at 8:33 pm

Here are two photos taken today. I was trying to get a shot of the booth but the proselytizers were swarming today, so it’s a little blurry.

Meredith Rhule
Meredith Rhule on December 20, 2008 at 7:01 pm

I use to love this booth. The State and Los Angeles were my two favorite boothes on Broadway. This was a long, narrow and a deco booth. It was just comfortable.

What was strange about State is you had to walk to the corner of the street, walk North to another business, take an elevator upwards, get out, and from there you would open a door to enter the projection room. Hey, that was nice. Nobody could bug you up in the booth.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on December 15, 2008 at 3:45 pm

From Boxoffice magazine, January 1963:

LOS ANGELES-Metropolitan Theaters is taking over the lease on the State Theater, as of January 14. United Artists is dropping the theater, which it has operated since 1949. The house is owned by Loew’s Theaters. The UA lease had until May to run, but arrangements were worked out for the earlier takeover. This gives Sherrill C. Corwin’s Metropolitan circuit most of the downtown first-runs.

vokoban
vokoban on September 26, 2008 at 10:52 am

lol….I guess you’re brave. I was afraid they would suck my soul out and flush it down the toilet.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on September 26, 2008 at 10:51 am

See post of 7/27/07. All things are possible, grasshopper.

vokoban
vokoban on September 26, 2008 at 10:47 am

They are really creepy also….they practically do a cavity search when you go inside to make sure you don’t have a camera.

vokoban
vokoban on September 26, 2008 at 10:41 am

It doesn’t look the same inside….that idiotic church painted white latex over everything.

monika
monika on August 22, 2008 at 1:57 pm

A recent shot of the State’s marquee:

vokoban
vokoban on August 1, 2008 at 4:44 pm

Here’s a photo of the State being built from a Harold Lloyd movie. The photos are from the author of the amazing books named Silent Echoes (Keaton) and Silent Traces (Chaplin). He’s currently writing a new book about all the locations from Harold Lloyd films…can’t wait.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on May 3, 2008 at 5:57 pm

I usually put the dates on. I was working and doing this at the same time, so I wasn’t being thorough.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on May 3, 2008 at 3:04 pm

Here is a 1938 ad from the LA Times:

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on April 22, 2008 at 4:48 pm

Today, sadly, the website dropped the historic Loew’s from the theater’s name, to be consistent with this site’s overall policy.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on April 8, 2008 at 7:34 pm

That was with a cell phone. OK for closeups, but not much good long range. I had to toss some other Broadway shots I took today.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on April 3, 2008 at 2:12 am

Here is a screen shot from the 1988 film “Colors”:

William
William on March 31, 2008 at 8:31 pm

You can see the marquee in the film “Action Jackson” (around 51 minutes in). The film takes place in another city, but they used Downtown Los Angeles for select location shots.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on March 28, 2008 at 6:01 pm

Ken: with the big camera I had around my neck that day. I’d surely have been chased out. If I ever go back, I will take your advice. Thanks again.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on March 28, 2008 at 10:10 am

You’re welcome, Bill. You can easily go inside and walk around as long as you don’t start taking pictures. Then you get chased out.

roxy1927
roxy1927 on March 24, 2008 at 3:59 pm

If you can’t tell the diffrence between between a theater and a theatre you’ve got not class that’s all I can say.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on March 24, 2008 at 3:03 pm

Ken, thanks for taking those photos last summer. In January I walked down Broadway and saw the outsides of all the great theaters, but was too scared to actually try going inside any of them. Maybe I should have, if you got into the State. Anyway, thanks again for posting pictures of where “Forbidden Planet” opened in 1956.

William
William on March 24, 2008 at 12:45 pm

stevebob, that small vertical sign before it was blanked out said “Seiko” and was blue in color for the watch store at the corner at one time. The store was LeRoys. The State has not had any other signage other than the marquee for decades on the building. When it had a Big A feature playing the companies sign department put up a large display above the marquee.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on March 24, 2008 at 12:09 pm

It would be great for entertainment to return to the Loew’s State. The emphasis on spelling of theater vs theatre is annoying.

stevebob
stevebob on March 24, 2008 at 11:29 am

ken mc’s photo of 3/23 seems to show a grey metal vertical sign, apparently blank, hanging on the very edge of the building at Seventh and Broadway. I don’t recall seeing that before, and am guessing that it’s connected with the “Catedral” in some way.

What does it — or did it — say?