4th Avenue Theatre

630 W. 4th Avenue,
Anchorage, AK 99501

Patsy
Patsy on May 19, 2006 at 8:51 am

May the citizens of Anchorage AK do the right thing and restore their theatre…they won’t regret it now or in the future!

Patsy
Patsy on May 19, 2006 at 8:51 am

Patsy
Patsy on April 15, 2006 at 4:52 am

splicer: Nice to read your description of this theatre in Alaska so I hope that it can be saved and not go the way of many others in the lower 48!

shopdown
shopdown on April 14, 2006 at 8:28 pm

I was a manager of the 4th avenue for the Wometco chain in the early eighties. It was a wild building to figure out. Art deco lighting hung from hand crank winches you had to crawl into the top level to lower and change the bulbs on, the main ceiling had tiny lights laid out in the shape of the big dipper, with a flashing one for the North Star. (see alaska state flag)

and the murals on either side of the screen.

the murals are hard to describe if not in front of them.

I’ve crawled around that building, it’s nice.
The chain’s owner had a penthouse on the roof.
The basement had his NBC tv station. Found old cardboard 55 gallon drums with civil defense labels poking around. The front outside sign is hollow to access the neon, can climb and exit at roof/penthouse level. The old candy storage room was behind a curved wood door that had curved bubbled glassed on the second story- could climb to second story from there (but there were exposed neon transformers)

Patsy
Patsy on April 5, 2006 at 6:49 am

“I really don’t feel my tax dollars should be involved in renovating something that belongs in the private sector,” said Mike Vogel, an insurance agent. “To be perfectly honest, the fact that it’s an architectural jewel doesn’t really push my buttons.” I clicked on the name, Mike Vogel in the AP article and don’t believe they are the same person, but I may be wrong. Hope someone can clear this matter up!

Patsy
Patsy on April 5, 2006 at 6:46 am

I just hope there aren’t many Mike Vogel’s in Anchorage that feel the way he does about the 4th Avenue Theatre!

SpikeSpiegel6262044
SpikeSpiegel6262044 on April 4, 2006 at 7:14 am

I saw the same thing on CNN. It would be a shame to let it go to pot.

dyban
dyban on April 3, 2006 at 5:13 am

Associated Press article from April 3, 2006, on the theatre.

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on May 2, 2005 at 4:42 am

The 4th Avenue Theatre opened in May 1947.