Cinedome Theatres

3001 W. Chapman Avenue,
Orange, CA 92868

beatlequigon
beatlequigon on August 5, 2005 at 2:00 am

Way Back When – (1987) I was a film student out of work and in debt. I got a job at the cinedome because I needed a job fast and thought hey! Free movies! I quickly made friends with the assistant managers running the movies and got promoted to “assistiant manager” ( glorified non-union projectionist ). I ran the movies because almost nobody else wanted to, and the union projectionists had been locked out years ago. I learned movie projection there THE HARD WAY, the equipment was poorly maintained and films were often breaking, burning, center wrapping, scratching, you name it. Myself and maybe three or four other people who worked there at the time actually gave a damn about the film presentation, the rest just ran the snack bar and counted the box & video game money.
Stiky floors? yes.
Rats? Yes.
(though to this day I have yet to work in a movie theatre that did not have SOME level of rodent problem at one time or another)

Iffy film presentation? Yes.

Best Moments – ReRelease of Lawrence of Arabia – Myself and others Really took care of that print. – U2 rattle & Hum in the big dome = Rockin Party!
Broomball.
Girfriends in the projection booth.
Getting Drunk on top of the domes watching fireworks on the 4th of july.
Roger Rabbit.
Tango & Cash ( Stallone Movie ) in the big dome and the curtain motor broke, I had to step out into the audience with the chain around my arm, with every few feet I pulled, the curtain opened a little more – the mostly male audience was chanting – PULL! PULL!
Any of the many 3am “friend” screenings.

Worst moment – Riot after the movie “The Doors” broke ( though I had transfered to the Stadium drive in by that time).

Any movie sliding off the platters, it happened often.

Switching theatres was generally tolerated. Sneaking in was not. We had buzzers in the lobby that went off when exit doors were opened, it was a macho thing to catch sneakers.

I saw Return of the Jedi on opening day when I was 15 in Dome #1. the far left speaker distorted like mad, three years later when I started to work there the problem was still there.

I was told that the wood beams that held up the domes were termite ridden.

Eventually I transferred to the Stadium drive in ( Politics! ) and then I became a union projectionist and worked at Various Edwards Cinemas.

I have some fond memories of the place, & some bad.

It WAS a nice theatre, in its later years it really got neglected. Too Bad captain Blood couldnt buy it, he probably would have fixed it.

Paul Carroll
SAVE THE FOX FULLERTON!

moviebluedog
moviebluedog on July 29, 2005 at 10:12 am

The Cinedome was actually busy until its last few days of operation. If memory serves, “Titanic” played on two screens for a considerable amount of time in second-run when the Cinedome was turned into a discount house. That’s pretty impressive for a theatre with the high seating capacity the Cinedome was known for.

The last show I saw there was “Men In Black” (1997). In the lobby, there was an artist conceptional drawing of the new Century 25 going up on Katella Avenue. I knew, at that point, that the Cinedome’s days were numbered. The theatre closed down in early 1999 after nearly 30-years of operation.

Michael Coate is correct that the Century 25 opened earlier than November 1998. :) I recall seeing “Anastasia” there in Christmas of 1997. One of my experiences with this new theater was my family wanted to see “Flubber,” but all four or five screens were sold-out! That didn’t seem to happen at the Cinedome, where seating capacity was high.

Indeed, there were numerous Friday and Saturday nights in which the theatre parking lot was full. I’ve fought to find parking many times there, but usually the experience of seeing films here outweighed the parking problems. I always wondered why Syufy/Century (which are one in the same) didn’t buy extra property around them to expand not only parking—-but the number of screens. I’m sure they certainly made enough money on this complex to justify expansion on that lot. The Cinedome was very popular. I can recall numerous times waiting in long lines in the parking lot for a showing of the popular movies of the day. “Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom.” “True Lies.” “Fatal Attraction.” And for a number of years, the Cinedome usually got 70mm prints of the big films, much like its competitor, Edwards Newport Cinema (a.k.a. “Big Newport.”)

I don’t recall the Cinedome having sticky floors. The theatre was usually kept up better than many other houses I’d been to in the area, including the dreadful AMC Orange Mall 6. I think where I began seeing a decline in showmanship was when the theatre showed vacation slides of Europe and local advertisements. One of the nice things about this theatre for years is that it didn’t show slideshow ads. I often felt like I was going to the movies, not watching television or a relative’s travel slides.

But when the theatre showed big event films, it excelled in presentation. I recall seeing the final “Star Trek” (original series) film in 1991, and they played the “Star Trek” theme as an overture. I also remember those curtains opening up to their very wide screens in the large domes. Talk about an experience. Almost everyone I’ve heard talk about the Cinedome has kind things to say about it. No, it wasn’t perfect. But overall, it was a great place to see movies.

Indeed, a major apartment development is going up, but next door where a hotel and restaurant used to stand. The Cinedome’s lot, at least for now, is vacant. It’s really quite sad to think that Century tore down this theatre. All we have now are The Block of Orange, which is seemingly always crowded, and the Century 25.

Coate
Coate on July 17, 2005 at 7:51 am

The nearby Century 25 opened earlier than November 1998, as claimed in the post above. I saw several movies at the Century 25 — “As Good As It Gets,” “The Replacement Killers,” “The Man In The Iron Mask,” “Lost In Space,” “Lethal Weapon 4,” “Small Soldiers” — all of which were released prior to the fall of ‘98.

It’s a shame Century saw fit to close up the Cinedome. I had great moviegoing experiences there, too numerous to count. And I’ll take the stadium seating of the two big domes over each of the tiny 25 screens at the new complex any day. (And don’t you love how “stadium seating” is thought by many to be some recent innovation. The Cinedome had ‘em, dating all the way back to its 1969 opening.)

bigdrummer
bigdrummer on June 1, 2005 at 5:34 pm

I too grew up in Orange and the only place to watch a movie was the Cinedome! True I have great memories of the old Villa Theater, now Captian Bloods and the Orange Mall 6 (remember the day), but Cinedome will reign Supreme for all time. Yes, Empire Strikes Back and all the rest, I am truely sad of it’s demise. I checked out the demolition pics on another site and literally held back tears thinking of all the good old Orange High school days and going on dates to the Cinedome. For all you true Cinedome fans you’ll always have a place in my heart for your heartfelt love for the Domes.

Wayne Shores
Orange Ca.

DenizMichael
DenizMichael on July 14, 2004 at 8:02 am

I saw hundreds of movies here, by way of buying a ticket for one movie and watching every damn movie that was showing.

Thank you Cinedome for turning a blind eye.

I owe my career in film to you.

Deniz Michael

www.solitaryfracture.com

toddwrtr
toddwrtr on April 16, 2004 at 7:44 pm

This may have been a great theater back in the 70s, but by the late 80s and 90s this place was a dive. Unless you saw a movie on opening day, and it was the first screening, then the print would quickly deteriorate. Yes, the two main Domes were nice, but the majority of the other screens at this theater cropped the projected image to 2:1, regardless if it was 2.35:1 or 1.85:1.

jiminomaha
jiminomaha on April 8, 2004 at 10:27 pm

I lived in Southern California for 25 years beginning in1970. I loved the Orange Cinedome. I was actually surprised to learn that the theatre had been torn down. What a loss. I knew that if I really wanted to experience a movie not just watch it, I needed to go to the Cinedome. The large capacity of the theatres, the sound system and the large screens all contributed to an awesome viewing experience. One of my finest memories was watching the premiere showing of Return of the Jedi. The small, tight multiplex theatres of today just don’t compare to the Cinedome. I am visiting California this summer and I hoped to see a movie at the Cinedome. To my dismay I found out that the theatre no longer exists. Obviously some people considered the Cinedome to be a relic of the past.

jigsta212
jigsta212 on April 8, 2004 at 11:09 am

oh yeah-p.effin-s. who cares abouth the sticky floors-i remember them too-trust me young one-that can be corrected-lol-as well as the screen projections-besides-in the future all those anomalies will also be unflawed-the cinedome will resurrect! into perfection! and no other theatre will be its master-learn now megaplexes-your successes will be short lived!-and the movie going experience will once again be the domain of the movie goer and thier dollar!!!!!!!

jigsta212
jigsta212 on April 8, 2004 at 11:04 am

The HELL? I was born in 1982, thus i’m 22-Since i was a kid-I have loved not a single multiplex-not a single theatre as much as i dearly beloved the Century Cinedome theatres! I was so impressed with the Big Domes-No other screen (excluding imax of course) has ever made me feel more involved nor has any other sound system been more enthralling as the cinedome provided-The BigDomes are simply untouched and sacred until one day I myself will buy the rights (or do it all on my own) and make that theatre come back to life!!! It was the Century Cinedome that inspired me since i was a damn child to become one of the world’s greatest film directors in that,-it is the sensation-the experience-the awesome power that movies have as far as they are played correctly-on a giant screen-with superior enveloping sound-and by far, the world’s greatest audiences i have ever had the pleasure of being a part of-I cried the day that theatre went down and vowed my avengeance to the cinedome!!!! Soon enough—-my fellow cinedome admirers-where we saw id4-jurassic park-all the greats in our youth and of wise age-IF NOT-then what the hell is the point of the film industry?!!!! By God-(like christ) I shall live to see the day when the cinedome and the true movie going experience is RESURRECTED!!! not these teenie bopper b.s. megaplexes with weak sound and bass-BOOOOO-the true directors are being jipped!!!!! Are You with ME? – P.S. I Am A Good Natured Self-Proclaimed Genius- :=) a true director-a true lover of the true movie going experience-AND, i never knew that about you Capt. Blood-i should have shaken your hand everytime i saw you-and i do applaud the remminants you’ve obtained and tresured at your very cool theatre-by and by-i have not visited your place in a few years-do you still play movies in ultra stereo-or have you upgraded?-oh—:) i also have a few trinkets my self from the cinedome-it is actually displayed in my livingroom-in honor-in remembrance-the future shall see the light-the light that befell the smiling awe stricken face of a young child——

toddwrtr
toddwrtr on February 19, 2004 at 8:51 pm

I used to hate this theater, and was more than happy to evaluate it on many occassions for Lucasfilm’s Theater Alignment Program (TAP). The floors were always sticky, the prints trashed within a matter of days (they even incinerated a 70mm print of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade on opening day). Although the domes were nice, most of the other auditoriums that were added over the years severely cropped the projected image to 2:1.

CaptainBlood
CaptainBlood on December 30, 2003 at 10:02 am

I grew up in this theatre. Boy was it great on a opening night.
Empire Stikes back just after midnight, Raiders of the lost arc, Walter Hills Streets of fire, The helicopters and Jim Morrison in F.F.C. Appocolips Now. Remember the credits were handed out in the lobby. There was none on the film. I still have mine.
I have film of the giant crowds, Exit polls for my favorite films. I also have film of the domes coming down, very sad day. Especially since I offered to keep it open as one of my theatres. I built a theatre just 4.6 miles away that basically is a tribute to the domes. Captain Bloods Village Theatre in Orange Ca. 714-808-0400 Go find the suviners I grab and placed all over my theatre. You’ll have to search for them but they are there. So are treasures from 7 other theatres that closed in Orange County over the last ten years.
See ya and enjoy the show, Captain Blood.

RandyHenderson
RandyHenderson on October 14, 2003 at 10:43 am

I remember seeing many films at this theater in the early to mid-70’s, including “Chinatown” and “Funny Lady.” The management tried to pull a fast one by breaking “Chinatown” in the middle for an intermission it otherwise would not have had, presumably to see more popcorn and JuJuBees. I think Pacific Theaters stopped them from doing this.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on October 14, 2003 at 8:54 am

“This is Cinerama” played here in a 70mm single lens format.

papibear
papibear on October 13, 2003 at 5:46 pm

Address for the Cinedome site is 3001 W. Chapman Ave, Orange, CA 92868

papibear
papibear on October 13, 2003 at 5:16 pm

This is the link that should have been listed under “Related Websites” – View link

cirish
cirish on October 13, 2003 at 2:43 pm

So where is the link to The Orange Cinedome ?

papibear
papibear on October 13, 2003 at 9:54 am

Status on this theater should be Closed/Demolished. The Orange Cinedome was demolished in April 2000.