Loew's Capitol Theatre

1645 Broadway,
New York, NY 10019

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on June 16, 2019 at 11:37 am

And neither are any of us, sad to say lol

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 15, 2019 at 3:18 am

51 years ago today, and it was a Saturday like today, I was in the Capitol with my dad seeing “2001”. I just finished watching it at home, on a 92" screen, but it just wasn’t the same.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on June 11, 2019 at 2:28 pm

Hello-

in my search for the 1st purpose movie theater in Manhattan a fellow poster mentioned a theater with the name City Photoplays which I had never heard of. i later found the theater on a list but can’t remember the website. i thought my fellow poster might have meant the Variety Photoplays at 3rd Ave. & 14 St.. but the list i found listed a seating capacity that would have been too for the Variety Photolays. so where was the City Photoplays theater to which my' fellow poster referred?

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters on May 9, 2019 at 8:46 pm

On December 25, 1959 the Loew’s Capitol Theatre – after being modernized – was re-opened with Yul Brynner in “Solomon and Sheba”. The architecture was by John J. McNamara.

robboehm
robboehm on May 8, 2019 at 7:39 pm

I’m with you guys. Never knew Loew’s was associated with the Capitol. Signage just said Capitol. Loew’s always made their presence known on their signage, even the smaller venues. Always remember looking up Broadway at night and seeing the vertical spelling out Capitol in white letters. The State specifically said Loew’s State.

michaelkaplan
michaelkaplan on May 7, 2019 at 10:26 pm

I believe Comfortably Cool is correct. I grew up in New York, left the city in 1959, and always remember the theater as “The Capitol.” I was never aware of any connection to Loew’s. If any theater was “the flagship,” it was Loew’s State. I only visited the Capitol once, after it had installed the big Cinerama screen. I think I saw Cinerama Holiday.

Comfortably Cool
Comfortably Cool on September 14, 2018 at 7:48 am

A good case could be made for Loew’s State as “flagship” of the circuit. Marcus Loew certainly intended that when the State first opened in 1921, adjacent to the new Loew’s HQ building at 1540 Broadway. The company inherited control of the five-year-old Capitol in 1924 as part of the merger that created MGM Pictures, but never marketed it to the general public as Loew’s Capitol until a modernization in 1959. The Capitol was the largest cinema in the world until the Roxy’s opening in 1927.

BobbyS
BobbyS on September 13, 2018 at 9:49 pm

I thought the State was. Which one had the larger stage?

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on September 13, 2018 at 4:19 am

The Capitol was the number one flagship theatre of the entire chain.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on September 12, 2018 at 4:18 pm

Was the Capitol one of Loews' flagship theatres?

vindanpar
vindanpar on September 12, 2018 at 2:19 pm

If there ever was a Music Hall film Magnificent Ambersons was it. But like Kane Radio City passed because of Rockefeller ties to Hearst?

vindanpar
vindanpar on August 24, 2018 at 12:37 pm

Thank you for posting it. I’ll check it out. Some of those Mad magazine parodies of the films themselves were pretty funny. Especially Sound of Music and the combined parody of 3 films: On a Clear Day You Can See a Funny Girl Singing Hello Dolly Forever. Still the best most scathing send up of Streisand and I’m a fan of hers and those 3 films.

Any many of those big roadshow lps ended up in the bargain bins which is how I was able to afford them as a kid. It was the bombs not the hits. You wouldn’t find Funny Girl, Oliver or Sound of Music. The cutout of Finian’s Rainbow came wrapped with the souvenir program.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on August 23, 2018 at 3:06 pm

Hello-

I enjoy chatting with fellow movie buffs via this site since IMDB did away with their message boards. to which a thought- I wish people would stop equating being able to reserve seats online nowadays with traditional roadshow engagements popular from 1952-1972.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on August 23, 2018 at 2:19 pm

I would have enjoyed watching movies at the Belch Art or the Art Burp.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on August 23, 2018 at 2:13 pm

Thanks, Al. Very funny. It reminded me of the time I saw the soundtrack album of Hello, Dolly!, not too long after its big 70mm premiere at the Rivoli on Broadway, in the cutout bin at a record store, selling for $1.99.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on August 23, 2018 at 6:05 am

I have posted the Mad Magazine parody on the Cinema Treasures Facebook page.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 22, 2018 at 4:19 pm

Al, please post that Mad article, it would fit perfectly here.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on August 22, 2018 at 12:38 pm

So this is where the rebirth of reserved seating in mainstream theaters is coming from….it’s here to stay and with the popularity of movie subscrption services such as MoviePass (rip) , Sinemia, and AMC’s A-List, more people will reserve their tickets for big movies; first come, first served unless the show is cancelled due to an outage, movie being pulled from theater, etc.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on August 22, 2018 at 10:20 am

vindapar, is that the one that starts with advance sales for a major four hour film event and ends as a TV Guide listing for the one hour version? If, so I have a copy somewhere.

vindanpar
vindanpar on August 22, 2018 at 10:10 am

Anybody remember the MAD magazine parody of reserved seat newspaper film advertising? A picture of IMPORTANCE and that kind of thing? Yes it was funny but I think those old advance ads for big movies was very cool.

Comfortably Cool
Comfortably Cool on August 22, 2018 at 6:19 am

Yes, but Capitol offered “GWTW” with continuous performances, while Astor was reserved-seat roadshow. They were re-linked years later with “Quo Vadis” with the same policies.

Tony P.
Tony P. on August 21, 2018 at 3:41 pm

Capitol also shared with the Astor theater, the first showing of GONE WITH THE WIND.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on August 20, 2018 at 6:44 pm

The logo came on screen at the very beginning. I guess Quentin thought: it was shot in Ultra Panavision 70, and if it was made in 1965, it would be shown on Cinerama screens. Just like The Greatest Story Ever Told and Battle of the Bulge.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on August 20, 2018 at 4:15 pm

That was just a winking nod to the roadshow era – as was the accompanying ‘60’s style Weinstein Company logo. Those logos only appeared in the 70mm prints. The “general release” versions did not have them.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on August 20, 2018 at 2:31 pm

Hello-

to Bill H.–

why was the Cinerama logo at the end of The Hateful Eight if it wasn’t presented “in Cinerama”?