Capitol Theatre

1645 Broadway,
New York, NY 10019

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on May 29, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Hello-

Opps I forgot to add an interesting note.for about a month now I have not received any messages in my inbox that theaters in Manhattan that I am on the list for have received new comments. these notes on Cheyenne Autumn being an example. I only realized they were posted because I looked this page up.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on May 29, 2014 at 3:30 pm

to Peter A.–

thanks for the info. one’s memory does play tricks on you and I guess this is an instance. I don’t know why I thought this. its just i swear I can
remember seeing an ad in a NYC newspaper at the time of its opening. oh,well.

NYer
NYer on May 3, 2014 at 12:31 pm

“Cheyenne Autumn” New York Times premiere ad posted in photos. No mention, including The Times review mentions Cinerama, only Super Panavsion 70.

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on May 2, 2014 at 8:45 pm

No mention of Cinerama in either LA or NY engagements:

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on May 2, 2014 at 8:41 pm

I don’t think so. It was filmed in SuperPanavision 70 and tech credits around the Internet say that it only had regular 70mm prints. Why do you think it was billed as a Cinerama presentation?

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on May 2, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Hello-

i hope my fellow fans of the late but great Loew’s Capitol/Cinerama can answer a question. John Ford’s “Cheyenne Autumn” opened the fall of 1964 on a reserved seat engagement. this is where my question comes in. i wouldn’t bet my next paycheck but i am 99% certain that the film was one of the 10 or so single lens Cinerama films. now i can find no newspaper ads or copies of the mail order form and like stuff online to bolster my claim. so was “Cheyenne Autumn” one of the 10 or so films presented “in Cinerama” or not? again i’m 99% certain it was.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on April 12, 2014 at 10:48 pm

bigjoe59, the film was not the whole show. A fourth week was rare at the Capitol in the early thirties.

Cimarron
Cimarron on April 12, 2014 at 10:11 pm

Upload 1935 “Escapade” MGM promo ad.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on April 8, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Hello-

a question for my fellow fans of the late but great Capitol. nowadays big films will open on 2 to 3 thousand screens on the same day. now in Manhattan every so often one of these big films will stay at a theater or two for quite some time. which brings me to my question. in the photo section is an ad for “Mata Hari” that states at the top “held over for 3rd and final week”. to which did films at the Capitol during this period never play for all that long no matter how much of a hit they were?

Cimarron
Cimarron on April 6, 2014 at 10:39 pm

Uplaoad Pic of 1935 “A Tale Of Two Cities” in Photo Section.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on April 5, 2014 at 12:33 pm

That rave review makes me want to see the movie again, even though I just saw it a few months ago in its 3-D incarnation.

To quote form the review “…the comicalest of all is Bert Lahr with an artistically curled mane, a threshing tail, and a timid heart. As he mourns in one of his ballads, his Lion hasn’t the prowess of a mow-ess; he can’t sleep for brooding; he can’t even count sheep because he’s scared of sheep. And what he wants is courage to make him king of the forest so that even being afraid of a rhinocerus would be imposerus. Mr. Lahr’s lion is fion.”

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on April 4, 2014 at 7:55 pm

I think Bill’s comment is accurate.

MGM agreed the results were less than expected and early tracking showed a lack of adult interest. “PINOCCHIO” did twice the business.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on April 4, 2014 at 7:49 pm

According to a book called “The Wizard of Oz: The Official 75th Anniversary Companion”, the movie did above average box office business in 1939, but failed to break even due to its exorbitant production costs. The same thing happened to “Cleopatra”, the top box office attraction of 1963 but forever branded a flop. “Oz” did recoup its costs and start to show a profit ten years later, due to a very successful nationwide rerelease in 1949. MGM promoted it as the “most requested” of its hits from years past.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on April 4, 2014 at 5:22 pm

The internets are your friend.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on April 4, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Hello Again-

I am now more confused than ever. I have read on more than one occasion that The Wizard of Oz which opened at this theater never really ignited the box office even after MGM tried various catchy ad campaigns and its books only entered the black when it was sold to t.v.. Al A.’s reply seems to confirm this. yet Mike’s post makes it seem like it was a big box office hit. so which is the case?

Cimarron
Cimarron on April 3, 2014 at 10:11 pm

Pic upload 1936 Ad “Born To Dance” starring Eleanor Powell & James Stewart. See Photo Section.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on April 3, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Since it was barely released in 1939 and had most of its runs in 1940, it came in fourth place behind “PINOCCHIO” and “BOOM TOWN”.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on April 3, 2014 at 8:23 pm

The story of the Wizard of Oz' difficulties at the box office upon its initial release is a bit apocryphal.

It was the second most popular movie of 1939 (after Gone with the Wind) and the third most popular movie of the entire 1930s (after GWTW and Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs) according to more than one internet source.

A good read on the creation and history of The Wizard of Oz can be found in Aljean Harmetz' The Making of the Wizard of Oz, which is still available in many local libraries.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on April 3, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Hello to AL A.–

as always I thank you for your font of knowledge. so if I understand your reply correctly the story I related in my question is more or less true?

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on April 3, 2014 at 6:24 pm

“WIZARD” had a hard time attracting adults the first time around. It was only a big hit in NYC and that was mostly because Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney were added in person to help fill the house.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on April 3, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Hello-

since The Wizard of Oz debuted at this theater a question. we all assume the film was a big box office hit when it opened Sept. of 1939 I believe. but I have read more than once that while it wasn’t a flop per se it never really ignited the box office to any great extent. in fact since this was the time when the studios still controlled the theaters MGM tried to jump start the film with ingenious ad campaigns but the public never really bit. to which the film only became this beloved classic after it started airing on t.v. in 1954? is this true?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on April 3, 2014 at 5:25 pm

I believe today was the day “2001” opened to the general public, after the press screening and premiere, 46 years ago.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on April 3, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Good thing the plaque was wrong about that, BigJoe. The only time I was ever in the Capitol was June 1968.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on April 3, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Hello-

a bit of info fellow Capitol Theater devotees will find interesting. the Loew’s Lincoln Square has each of the auditoriums named after a famed Loew’s movie palace. to the right of the entrance to each auditorium is a plaque with info about the honored theater. the plaque for the Capitol states the theater was torn down at the end of 1967. I’ve mentioned it to management several times but they don’t seem to care about the incorrect info.

Cimarron
Cimarron on April 2, 2014 at 10:29 pm

Pic upload of 1919 Ad “Blind Husband”.