Northpoint Theatre

2290 Powell Street,
San Francisco, CA 94133

CONVERT94
CONVERT94 on December 17, 2005 at 4:47 pm

When the little monster broke out of the guys stomach in ALIEN, everyone in the entire packed theater jumped about 6 inches out of their collective seats. What a trip.

Coate
Coate on August 31, 2005 at 12:16 am

“STAR WARS was only available [initially] to theatres who had 70 and or Dolby Stereo.” (Twistr54, Jun 20)

It is a myth that the initial release of the original “Star Wars” was made available only to Dolby-equipped theaters. The history of this movie’s release has really been screwed up by the faulty memories of people and the false claims made by authors of books and magazine articles on the subject.

sheepy
sheepy on August 24, 2005 at 9:59 pm

I think this theater was the home to the famous screening of American Graffiti, where Ned Tannen (a moron from the studio)accused Lucas of filling the audience with friends to make the crowd reaction more positive than it should have been. Tannen also hated Animal House.

RobertR
RobertR on July 28, 2005 at 6:14 am

Here is a pic of the “Last Temptation of Christ” picketing

Twistr54
Twistr54 on June 20, 2005 at 2:13 am

I was lucky enough to see POLTERGEIST in 70MM at this theatre. I lived in SFO for a short time in early 1982.
My hometown had a twin theatre built in mid 70’s and the audtioriums were a match to the single screen Norhpoint.
No 70MM, and Dolby only in 1 auditorium, the screen that opened the original STAR WARS, It was only available ( at that time ) to theatres who had 70 and or Dolby Stereo. ( my hometown theatre twin went down in 1990.)

robertgippy
robertgippy on June 5, 2005 at 6:38 pm

The Northpoint, was a great theatre! Single floor, spacious, and comfortable, it had the best sound system of it’s kind anywhere. Major pictures played there. I saw the first screening of “Alien” there, as well as A Star is Born with Barbara Streisand. My memorable experience was when “The Last Temptation of Christ” played there, people were picketing. Huge lobby with a candy counter. nice restrooms. Huge auditorium with a neat standing area in the back which was well lit. The screen was huge and you got a good view no matter where you sat. I understand that the seats went to the Grand Lake and are on the main floor. When you stood outside and looked up the street, you would see the Pagoda Palace Marquee, lit up in green. San Francisco has lost a lot of theatres, and the Northpoint, was one of the great movie experiences.

Coate
Coate on April 30, 2005 at 2:43 am

“70mm Presentations at the Coronet”

Correction: The above post represents the NORTHPOINT, not the CORONET.

Coate
Coate on April 30, 2005 at 2:41 am

70mm Presentations at the Coronet

Source: View link

Title (Premiere Date)
RSE = Reserved Seat Engagement

The Dirty Dozen (June 28, 1967)
That’s Entertainment! (June 26, 1974)
A Star Is Born (Dec. 25, 1976)
Capricorn One (June 2, 1978)
Dersu Uzala (Oct. 26, 1978)
Superman (Dec. 15, 1978)
Alien (May 25, 1979)
Apocalypse Now (Sep. 21, 1979)
1941 (Dec. 14, 1979)
The Empire Strikes Back (May 21, 1980)
Poltergeist (June 4, 1982)
Gandhi (Dec. 29, 1982)
Blue Thunder (May 13, 1983)
The Right Stuff (Oct. 21, 1983)
Ghostbusters (June 8, 1984)
Starman (Dec. 14, 1984)
Silverado (July 10, 1985)
Year Of The Dragon (Aug. 16, 1985)
White Nights (Dec. 6, 1985)
The Last Emperor (Dec. 9, 1987)
Last Action Hero (June 18, 1993)
In The Line Of Fire (July 9, 1993)
Geronimo: An American legend (Dec. 10, 1993)

Re-Issues/Move-Over/Second-Run/Return Engagements:
Gone With The Wind (1968, 1971, 1976)
2001: A Space Odyssey (1971)
Doctor Zhivago (1971)
Jesus Christ Superstar (1976)
Camelot (1978)
Sleeping Beauty (1981)
Tron (1982)
Lawrence Of Arabia (1989)

70mm Film Festival Sep 27 – Nov. 14, 1996
2001: A Space Odyssey
Apocalypse Now
The Doors
The Last Emperor
Lawrence Of Arabia
My Fair Lady
Tommy
The Wild Bunch

Edward Havens
Edward Havens on June 25, 2004 at 12:37 pm

One of the best movie moments of my life was seeing “The Last Temptation of Christ” at the Northpoint, the first show on opening day in August 1988. Not just the movie, which I felt was a masterpiece, but the surrounding protests and the media circus that followed. My friends and I got to the theatre six hours before the first show, driving up from Santa Cruz, only to discover there was already a small line in place, at 5AM. By 9AM, the line for the movie went down Powell Street and turned east at Francisco Street, while hundreds of protestors filled the intersection of Bay and Powell. Several protestors assured me that God was going to strike upon the theatre with all his holy vengeance just before the start of the show, sending the theatre and all us heathens inside straight into the bowels of hell. I’m glad it didn’t happen, as I would have hated to miss seeing myself and my friends on every news channel in the Bay Area.