Radio City Music Hall

Showing 26 - 50 of 2,973 comments

NewYorker64
NewYorker64 on October 23, 2014 at 5:39 am

Keep the faith, brother!

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on October 23, 2014 at 5:37 am

It was more than just an appropriate staffing change made. Many changes were made. Some of which I scratch my head at. Typical for around here. Nothing is ever set in stone. As we found out last spring.

NewYorker64
NewYorker64 on October 23, 2014 at 5:32 am

LOL. Well, I think an appropriate staffing change was made.

Baby boomers make up the largest segment of society with disposable income… I have faith that with some really smart marketing, the romance and excitement of Radio City can make a “Spring Spectacular” a commercial success.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on October 23, 2014 at 5:26 am

We will see. Don’t get your hopes up too much……

NewYorker64
NewYorker64 on October 22, 2014 at 6:23 pm

Fingers crossed for this Spring!

RobertR
RobertR on September 29, 2014 at 7:08 am

Nyer OMG you took the words out of my mouth. I said the same thing about GWTW 75th anniversary. Ho hoopla, no big celebration like for the 50th. I have been trying to find out if the showing yesterday was like the Wizard of Oz showings where all they did was project a DVD. The movie theatre business is DEAD and buried, any theatrical showings are just adertisement for the home DVD release.

NYer
NYer on September 24, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Only shows you the movie industry is dead. Where is the showmanship. The movie is iconic and has been very very good to the Disney Company. Radio City is sitting empty and even ten years ago there would have been a celebration. Where is the two week 70MM roadshow engagement complete with Disney stage show, with big opening night with Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke? Shame on Disney.

Coate
Coate on September 24, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Walt Disney’s “Mary Poppins” premiered here 50 years ago today.

Radio City Music Hall was the second theater in the United States to open “Mary Poppins.” (It opened about a month earlier at Grauman’s Chinese in Los Angeles. Also, many sources, including the IMDb, continue to cite an incorrect Radio City/NYC opening date.)

For those who might have an interest, I’d also like to mention I have prepared a “Mary Poppins” 50th anniversary retrospective article for my film & TV history column at TheDigitalBits.com. The article includes a historian Q&A and a list of many of the film’s first-run engagements. The article is also linked on the Cinema Treasures home page in the News section.

LorinWeigard
LorinWeigard on September 10, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Still the grand palace to end all movie palaces—– remember every movie I ever saw there- from “The Spirit of St. Louis” to the special screening of Abel Gance’s “Napoleon” with live orchestra— the nation’s showplace beyond compare

Vito
Vito on July 21, 2014 at 3:43 am

Watching a sportscast last night the guys were talking about how the Football draft will no be at RCMH next year cause there is a new show featuring the Rockettes in the works for that time spot. If this is true hopefully it does not fall thru as the last one did. Anyone heard anything about this?

LuisV
LuisV on June 14, 2014 at 6:40 am

I wish NPH had hosted again. I like Hugh very much but he can’t hold a candle to Neil. I too plan on seeing Gentleman’s Guide again. We bought the cast recording the next day and there are several beautiful songs and the lyrics are smart and witty. Great sets, costumes and very funny.

Vito
Vito on June 14, 2014 at 6:17 am

Yup Luis I shared the same thoughts watching the show.
I too loved “Gentleman’s guide” and plan on seeing it again. Let’s also give a big hurrah to Neil Patrick Harris for his outstanding performance and Tony win. only thing missing was seeing the grand curtain go up oh well not that I have not seen that quite a times in the good ole days. Live live RCMH may she prosper and live on

LuisV
LuisV on June 14, 2014 at 5:57 am

I had the good fortune to attend the TONY awards this year and, in my opinion, the true unheralded star of the show was Radio City itself along with the staff that runs the theater and the show. That this theater could accommodate the high volume of different sets, hundreds of actors, very quick changes as well as a wandering full size orchestra and make it all look like a breeze is nothing short of astounding. Great Job to all and I really need to take a back stage tour of this treasure this year. Also, Congrats to “Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder” for winning best Musical. A great show and highly recommended.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on June 13, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Since it opened on December 27, 1932 and screened its first film on January 11, 1933 (exactly two weeks and one day later) I am going to guess that movies were part of the plan from the beginning.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on May 24, 2014 at 9:10 am

Just curious, does anyone know if the Music Hall was installed with movie projectors from the start? Or did they have to be added, and the booth windows rebuilt, after the variety format flopped? Thanks!

Cimarron
Cimarron on April 9, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Upload 1936’s “Mr Deeds Goes To Town” Ad in Photo Section.

Cimarron
Cimarron on April 8, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Upload of 1935’s “Mister Hobo” Ad in Photo Section.

DaveM
DaveM on April 7, 2014 at 1:04 pm

From the 4/2/14 NYT:

“Marc Platt, a lively and versatile dancer who had standout roles onstage and in films, including in the original 1943 Broadway production of “Oklahoma!” and as one of the virile young woodsmen seeking spouses in the 1954 film musical “Seven Brides for Seven Brothers,” died on Saturday in San Rafael, Calif. He was 100.”

“After his dancing career slowed in the 1960s, he spent eight years as the producer and director of Radio City Music Hall’s ballet troupe.”

Cimarron
Cimarron on April 4, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Upload of 1935’s ad “Peter Ibbetson”

Cimarron
Cimarron on March 30, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Upload of 1948’s “Date With Judy” ad. Film was based on popular radio program by same name that was on air 1941-1950 and played several weeks at RCMH.

NewYorker64
NewYorker64 on March 21, 2014 at 9:23 pm

Actually, there’s some video from rehearsals that’s starting to flow out, and frankly, I’m not sure I wouldn’t have pulled the plug myself. Bad story, bad direction of the characters, cloying (i.e., repetitive without any creativity) choreography. And so many people who have worked so hard on this project – I feel for them.

It may be time for a new directorial perspective. I’m just saying…

DavidM
DavidM on March 21, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Oh, well. Here’s hoping they mount the show in 2015. In the meantime, I heard a rumor about the spectacle which will replace Heart and Lights. It’s a musical update of The Exorcist. In the new version, James Dolan becomes possessed by the spirits of both Leonidoff and Russell Markert. When all attempts at a conventional exorcism fail, Father Merrin calls upon the Rockettes to kick the unwanted spirit out. The Rockettes succeed, leaving Leonidoff and Markert to ring in a new era for the Hall.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on March 21, 2014 at 3:29 pm

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/rockettes-kicked-curb-article-1.1729439#ixzz2wcMvmjlK….no wonder why MSG promoted this a lot on tv…heard about it on facebook…

robboehm
robboehm on March 1, 2014 at 8:32 am

In this Oscar season I’ve uploaded a photo of an ad from February 18, 1948 for “A Double Life”. Ronald Coleman won best actor 1947 a month later qualifying because the film played a limited engagement in LA the previous December.

robboehm
robboehm on February 18, 2014 at 10:17 am

First time, and, in color, the public had seen America’s most popular couple, Lucy and Desi, on the big screen. Opening day February 18, 1954. See photos.