Radio City Music Hall

1260 Avenue of the Americas,
New York, NY 10020

Showing 26 - 50 of 2,989 comments

markp on November 8, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Like I said, I guess being a projectionist for over 38 years, I notice these things the average joe would not. If they ever give booth tours Im in, LOL

rcdt55b on November 8, 2014 at 9:18 am

The girls scouts were gone before our test so I was able to go down. Unfortunately, because of the angle the projectors shoot down at, the hotspot that you’re seeing is more prevalent in the front parts of the orchestra seats. The further back you go, the less the hot spotting seems. Curving the screen would lessen this, but there is just no room to fly a curved screen up. As Vito was saying, the 3D effect usually is lessened the further off center you go. The one good thing about the screen here not being curved is that it actually does not lessen the effect. I checked out the side seats last year during a test and there was very little drop off of light. I took a few pictures that I will post in a few minutes.

Vito on November 8, 2014 at 7:57 am

Thanks redt55b I would love to see some updated photos, as to the equipment being clean I found the entire booth immaculate including the polished floors. Clearly a lot of pride in that work space. Yes Mark us booth junkies are a special breed.

rcdt55b on November 8, 2014 at 4:57 am

Thanks Mark. It’s good to know your exact seat. I will have to check it tomorrow. Girl Scouts are here today.

Vito mentioned how clean the equipment was. For a week and a half during load in this year, we completely torn down both 70MM projectors. Everything was cleaned and parts were replaced as needed. Very few parts. I will try and post some pictures later.

markp on November 8, 2014 at 4:29 am

If it will help rcdt55b, I was sitting in row EE seat 503. Vito, I have seen photos of the booth, but like you, and you know me for many years, Im just a booth junkie I guess. And now more than ever since I dont work in the business anymore because of digital, I just love seeing old projection rooms.

Vito on November 8, 2014 at 2:11 am

You all may recall the main reason for not the Hall not showing “Kiss Me Kate” in 3-D aside from dealing with distributing all those glasses was problems with light fall off form the silver screen for people sitting too far left or right of center. It was a problem for us back in the 50s in some movies palaces with wide auditoriums for those siting in seats too far from center. Mark, I visited the both back when 70mm was installed and what impressed me the most was how immaculately it was maintained, do they no longer have backstage tours which includes a visit to the booth?

markp on November 7, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Glad I was able to help.

rcdt55b on November 7, 2014 at 9:34 am

Thanks for the update Mark. I will go down tomorrow morning during our testing to check on it. Most likely it’s because we use a silver screen and it’s not curved like it is supposed to be. It’s bad enough when it IS curved. You will get hotspots. When a silver screen is not curved, the hotspots are worse and they change depending on where you sit.

markp on November 7, 2014 at 4:38 am

And I also looked back up to the projection room port windows and saw 2 projectionists looking out at the end of the show. Oh how I miss projection, and wishing that one day I could see this iconic booth. Once again my wife is working the show. Heres to to a great run.

markp on November 7, 2014 at 4:32 am

Saw the Christmas show at 5:30 last night. Glad to see they revamped it a bit and got rid of that stupid game playing skit. A quick question, when I was watching the 3D segment, why was the left side of the screen significantly brighter than the rest of the screen. It looked as if the screen had a bright patch sewn in, which of course I know is not possible. It was just a bit distracting, but I still enjoyed it, knowing it was on film. I should add I was 5 rows from the screen on the aisle just left of house center.

moviebuff82 on October 28, 2014 at 12:48 pm looks like msg entertainment will be a good stock!!!

Vito on October 24, 2014 at 12:30 am

I hear you Mark, perhaps “Interstellar” will be the start of something good for film again. Many industry people are not happy with Digital and would like to see more film. As to 70mm 3-D at the Hall I expect as long as the Santa opening remains so will the 70mmm 3-D It is very difficult for the Hall to project Digital from the booth does not work well and projecting form the mezzanine as they did with movies is surly not going to happen no way they close those to the public at Christmas time.

markp on October 23, 2014 at 12:43 pm

I hope your right Vito. I wish one day I could see the booth at RCMH, but I know its a pipe dream.

markp on October 23, 2014 at 7:38 am

My wife is once again a dresser on the Christmas show. I will probably be there the day of the last dress rehersals, as always. Lets hope the 70mm stays forever. I miss being a projectionist. Damn digital.

rcdt55b on October 23, 2014 at 7:15 am

70MM 3-D as always. Hopefully that will never change.

Vito on October 23, 2014 at 7:07 am

They had better have the show go on, cancelling again would be bad for the theatre’s reputation. Last year they should have at least played the preview performances as we do on B'way where shows are occasionally cancelled after previews due to patrons dissatisfaction or interest. Let the people decide

I know I ask this every year but 70mm for the 3-D Christmas show?

NewYorker64 on October 23, 2014 at 5:39 am

Keep the faith, brother!

rcdt55b on October 23, 2014 at 5:37 am

It was more than just an appropriate staffing change made. Many changes were made. Some of which I scratch my head at. Typical for around here. Nothing is ever set in stone. As we found out last spring.

NewYorker64 on October 23, 2014 at 5:32 am

LOL. Well, I think an appropriate staffing change was made.

Baby boomers make up the largest segment of society with disposable income… I have faith that with some really smart marketing, the romance and excitement of Radio City can make a “Spring Spectacular” a commercial success.

rcdt55b on October 23, 2014 at 5:26 am

We will see. Don’t get your hopes up too much……

NewYorker64 on October 22, 2014 at 6:23 pm

Fingers crossed for this Spring!

RobertR on September 29, 2014 at 7:08 am

Nyer OMG you took the words out of my mouth. I said the same thing about GWTW 75th anniversary. Ho hoopla, no big celebration like for the 50th. I have been trying to find out if the showing yesterday was like the Wizard of Oz showings where all they did was project a DVD. The movie theatre business is DEAD and buried, any theatrical showings are just adertisement for the home DVD release.

NYer on September 24, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Only shows you the movie industry is dead. Where is the showmanship. The movie is iconic and has been very very good to the Disney Company. Radio City is sitting empty and even ten years ago there would have been a celebration. Where is the two week 70MM roadshow engagement complete with Disney stage show, with big opening night with Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke? Shame on Disney.

Coate on September 24, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Walt Disney’s “Mary Poppins” premiered here 50 years ago today.

Radio City Music Hall was the second theater in the United States to open “Mary Poppins.” (It opened about a month earlier at Grauman’s Chinese in Los Angeles. Also, many sources, including the IMDb, continue to cite an incorrect Radio City/NYC opening date.)

For those who might have an interest, I’d also like to mention I have prepared a “Mary Poppins” 50th anniversary retrospective article for my film & TV history column at The article includes a historian Q&A and a list of many of the film’s first-run engagements. The article is also linked on the Cinema Treasures home page in the News section.

LorinWeigard on September 10, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Still the grand palace to end all movie palaces—– remember every movie I ever saw there- from “The Spirit of St. Louis” to the special screening of Abel Gance’s “Napoleon” with live orchestra— the nation’s showplace beyond compare