Radio City Music Hall

1260 6th Avenue,
New York, NY 10020

Showing 26 - 50 of 3,227 comments

vindanpar
vindanpar on May 26, 2018 at 10:58 pm

When they were held in Broadway theaters no. The Music Hall is so large that yes.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on May 26, 2018 at 10:11 pm

I don’t think Tony tickets are actually offered for sale to the general public, but I could be wrong…

vindanpar
vindanpar on May 26, 2018 at 12:00 pm

I’m sure anybody can go and pay face value. Looks like the least interesting race in Tony history and that’s saying something. Even on theater chat sites there isn’t much interest. Scalpers even sell tickets to easily available Broadway shows. I guess there are enough tourists who aren’t aware how this works. England now has draconian laws for a show like Hamilton to avoid this kind of thing. And a current British music star who has a concert tour coming up has a complex system in place to make sure his fans can buy tickets at face value. There is even discussion about people presenting ID when purchasing tickets. Which means of course no gifting of tickets. It might be a price to pay for going to a hit show.

Comfortably Cool
Comfortably Cool on May 26, 2018 at 8:23 am

Scalpers are offering tickets for the June 10th “Tony Awards” ceremony at RCMH for upwards of $500 each. Details here

NYer
NYer on May 22, 2018 at 3:11 am

In the summer of 1985 Disney took over RCMH and presented their summer movies “The Return To Oz” & “The Black Cauldron” with Summer Magic Special Engagements. With an offer for General Admission Orchestra and Third Mezzanine seats, including a 70MM presentation of the movies, a Disney stage show, 7 Course Meal, Free Parking and Mickey Mouse Watch for the kids.

Opening day ads in photo section.

Comfortably Cool
Comfortably Cool on May 18, 2018 at 5:57 am

Easter Sunday fell on March 29th in 1964, while NYC was breathlessly awaiting the grand opening on April 22nd of its first World’s Fair since 1939-40. The Music Hall brought in “The Pink Panther” and new stage show on the next day.

NYer
NYer on May 17, 2018 at 9:32 am

“The World of Henry Orient” opened March 1964 and “The Pink Panther” was April 23, 1964. I typed the wrong date. Sorry, full disclosure, I have Dyscalculia, numerical dyslexia, numbers and dates jumble. And yes “The Pink Panther” played all over the world first with an engagement in Italy in Dec.‘63.

vindanpar
vindanpar on May 17, 2018 at 8:29 am

Concerning NYer Pink Panther ad. That’s very early for a post Easter film. How many weeks did Henry Orient play and what date was Easter that year?

And did Pink Panther open everywhere before opening in NY? That’s unusual as well.

If I had a time machine it’s one of the top films I would have chosen to see at the Hall.

vindanpar
vindanpar on May 12, 2018 at 8:58 am

Comfortably Cool posted White Cliffs of Dover announcement.

Amazing that June Lockhart who plays the grown up Elizabeth Taylor is still with us.

A wonderful movie.

CF100
CF100 on May 1, 2018 at 2:17 pm

Article on Radio City Music Hall with photos, cut-away diagram published in a 1933 issue of Popular Science, and a 2013 plan for “America’s Got Talent.”

The auditorium’s acoustics are mentioned in the book “Spaces Speak, Are You Listening?: Experiencing Aural Architecture”, by Barry Blesser and Linda-Ruth Salter, pp109-11. (Direct link to p109.)

It says that the walls and ceiling were constructed of more than 1000 tons of Kalite sound-absorbing plaster, and the reverberation time was estimated at >1 second, noting that this is a very short time for an auditorium of such volume. Of course, today this could hardly be considered acceptable for the screening of movies.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on April 6, 2018 at 2:44 pm

Mike (saps), you will find those lists around page 73.

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on April 6, 2018 at 12:14 pm

Art Deco apartment inside Radio City with photos.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on April 5, 2018 at 8:52 pm

I wish there was a way to bookmark the pages that contain the lists and dates of movies that played here.

vindanpar
vindanpar on March 29, 2018 at 9:06 am

Am I going blind? Streisand didn’t star in What’s Up Doc? O'Neal was the only star?

Look at March 28 upload.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on March 13, 2018 at 8:23 pm

If you look at the Wikileaks entry, “KING KONG” opened at 99,000 seats in NYC, (so 50,000 was more than enough). The second week dropped 50%, due to the Roosevelt bank holiday and the fact most exploitation films do just that. Still, it was a huge success.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on March 13, 2018 at 7:59 pm

I just posted a NY Times ad for King Kong in the photo section. It says “50,000 Seats Were Not Enough”. The date was March 3, 1933.

vindanpar
vindanpar on March 13, 2018 at 3:52 pm

NYer with all due respect I appreciate many of your photos but do you feel perhaps in the photo section we should concentrate on the Music Hall’s history as a presentation house rather than a concert venue? Personally I feel a bit of a pang when I see these ads. I realize the Hall still exists because of these concerts but I like seeing people celebrate its glory years as a film and stage show house which made it a cinema treasure.

vindanpar
vindanpar on March 13, 2018 at 12:52 pm

Thank you for that. I thought it odd it was put into a doc on the Roosevelts and the depression. It seems to come out of nowhere as a consequence of the bank holiday.

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on March 12, 2018 at 4:46 pm

The RCMH and the Roxy did humongous business:

vindanpar
vindanpar on March 12, 2018 at 1:12 pm

Supposedly King Kong did very poorly at the Music Hall because that was the week Roosevelt closed the banks. Just saw this recently in a documentary on the Roosevelts. This was news to me. I thought it had been a hit.

Very bad timing indeed. Anybody have access to Variety on microfilm to see what the week’s gross was?

curmudgeon
curmudgeon on February 22, 2018 at 11:54 pm

I agree vindanpar, that false proscenium within the original proscenium just looks tacky and cheap. Clearly, the glory days are over.

vindanpar
vindanpar on February 21, 2018 at 3:19 pm

And eventually in the 70s after the ballet company was eliminated the number of Rockettes on stage was reduced to 30 and they started selling popcorn which of course ended up all over the place.

The Rockefellers were doing everything they could to run the place into the ground. But then the entire way of marketing films had changed and exclusive city engagements would no longer even be considered. I just wish the inevitable end of the Music Hall as a stage show and movie palace had been a bit more dignified.

Jay Franklin Mould
Jay Franklin Mould on February 21, 2018 at 10:24 am

Regarding the number of Rocketts. During my time at the Music Hall 61 to 64 & 67 to 70. The number on the payroll was 46. There were always 36 on stage, and the rest were on days off.

michaelkaplan
michaelkaplan on February 21, 2018 at 9:55 am

Those hanging speakers really look bad. I agree about “A Chorus Line.” Miserable screen adaptation. Was a natural for 3D, too. Speaking of 3D: the Music Hall never showed it in the 50s. The theater was too large, and the projectors just couldn’t put out enough light. “Kiss Me, Kate” was shown flat, while it later toured in 3D. (The restoration on Blu-ray is stunning.)

vindanpar
vindanpar on February 21, 2018 at 5:12 am

May I point out that once when I said the Music Hall opened with 48 Roxyettes was slapped down by a poster who said from the beginning the Music Hall opened with 36 Roxyettes and he said with firm authority it was always 36. I even pointed to a photo with 48 though I must admit I might have said 46.

And there you have it in the opening ad posted by NYer 48 Roxyettes though yes it was soon to be reduced to 36.

Don’t toy with me fellas when it comes to Music Hall history.

Scherzo.

And see General Yen. A wonderful early Capra talkie. The kind of beautiful poetic commercial film beyond any of today’s directors.