AMC Loews Norridge 10

4520 N. Harlem Avenue,
Norridge, IL 60706

KenC
KenC on September 17, 2011 at 10:56 pm

After the 10p.m. showing of STRAW DOGS last night, I asked an employee about the possibility of the Norridge closing. Low attendance (8 people in auditorium 1 ; perhaps 24 cars in the parking area at 9:45) did not look promising. He said every year there are rumors re: the theatre closing. But every year AMC renews the lease. Most important, they recently invested $10,000. for new air-conditioning. So, it looks like the theatre will remain open for at least the near future. Good news.

Paul Fortini
Paul Fortini on July 4, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Cinemark Fan,

Thanks for the shout out. It is amazing how this cinema has survived the other M&Rs and even outlived its supposed competitor, the Bricktown.

It’s too bad Kerasotes bailed so quickly on the cinema biz. Imagine what they could have done to this place, ala the Webster Place.

telliott
telliott on July 2, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Any idea which building it is when you look at the Google satellite image? Usually they have these buildings marked, but I can’t tell which is the theatre.

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on June 14, 2010 at 11:50 pm

It has just dawned on me that the Norridge’s 40th birthday is Saturday June 26th. It is doubtful that I’ll be able to finally visit, but you never know.

It’s life is really something. It went from two screens to ten. The movies that have played here cannot be measured. Right now, it is showing the remake of “Karate Kid”, and the original played here when it had 5 screens. And Like Paul Fortini said earlier in this thread, it has outlived its predecessors like the Old Orchard, the original Golf Mill, and the Lawrencewood aka Niles Square. And even in the face of its supposed successors (Bricktown, Cinemark Melrose, Rosemont etc.), it stands. Whether or not it still stands later this year or next remains to be seen. But it looks like Costco has moved on from its plans at Norridge, so we’ll see.

I must ask people who know the place, how big are the screens in #1, 2, 5 and 6? Do some screens in the 5-10 section have top-down masking?

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on December 1, 2009 at 9:00 am

Three photos and a brief description of the original Norridge Twin can be seen in Boxoffice, November 2, 1970.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on November 2, 2009 at 6:16 pm

Does this theater still use the LOEWS name or has it changed?

Paul Fortini
Paul Fortini on November 2, 2009 at 5:18 pm

Cinemark Fan,

A little off-topic, but it stinks that Kiddieland closed. That place was still profitable up until the end. I went there with my wife and my sister and her boyfriend the next-to-last weekend and we had a great time.

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on October 28, 2009 at 5:48 pm

I just saw on the news that Costco is looking to build a store on the site of the now-closed Kiddieland in nearby Melrose Park. If that goes through, then that’s more hope for Norridge.

Anyway, does all the screens have side-masking for scope films? I ask because I think of another M&R turned Loews theater, the Evergreen. And its original 2 screens were split to make 4, and all of them were pretty big screens. I’m wondering if Norridge’s split auditoriums have the same effect.

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on July 10, 2009 at 11:13 pm

Would anybody be willing to describe the theaters themselves to me? Like the color of the seats, walls etc.. And do all the screens have side-masking?

Adoresixtyfour
Adoresixtyfour on June 1, 2009 at 9:32 pm

Went to the Norridge on Saturday to see “Drag Me to Hell.” Hadn’t been there in ages. Used to go there all the time when I was a kid (because the neighborhood theaters were falling apart and the downtown theaters were scary), so I’m happy it’s still around and in pretty good shape, as far as I can tell.

KenC
KenC on May 29, 2009 at 2:23 am

CinemarkFan- I have never been to Chicago Ridge Mall; it’s unlikely I’ll get there. Haven’t been to the Lake in some time. Will try to get there in early June…it’s a great theatre.

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on May 11, 2009 at 12:07 am

KenC,

If you can, could you get the seat count for Chicago Ridge Mall and the Lake in Oak Park?

KenC
KenC on February 25, 2009 at 2:25 am

A correction: The employee who gave me the seating capacity for each auditorium was selling tickets and working the concession stand for theatres 1,2,3 and 4. This section is the one nearest to Harlem Ave. A little west is another section of the theatre, which houses auditoriums 5 through 10. This is where an employee is IN the boxoffice, and two more are working the concession…facing south. Across from the popcorn and candy is the managers stand- facing north. Even though the Norridge lacks stadium seating, it’s still a very comfortable place. Lots of leg room, very high ceilings, and pretty wide auditoriums will make me come back. One negative- the marquee on Harlem is NOT inviting; one might think the theatre is closed or has only 5 screens. A very minor complaint- a few water stains on the ceiling of a few auditoriums. But, generally speaking, I give this decades old theatre a thumbs up. Hope it lasts!

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on February 24, 2009 at 12:41 am

Thank you for posting the info KenC. Multiplexes these days only have about 2 big rooms, and the rest are little screening rooms with 80-90 seats. I hope Costco will go elsewere, so Norridge may soldier on.

Who knows, maybe when my chain kicks off, perhaps I’ll pick it up from AMC and give it a much needed facelift.

KenC
KenC on February 18, 2009 at 1:34 am

The Norridge has a grand total of 3,952 seats. Auditorium #1-600 seats, #2-581, #3-304, #4-286, #5- 500, #6-524, #7-363, #8-365, #9-210, and #10- 219. The seating capacity is NOT posted outside each auditorium ;therefore, many thanks to the employee working the concession stand for screens 7 to 10 for the information.

Broan
Broan on January 31, 2009 at 2:58 pm

Well, the newspaper articles quoted Costco as having no interest in the site, and said that the surrounding planned lifestyle center hinged upon it

nightshadezero
nightshadezero on January 31, 2009 at 2:40 am

Unfortunately, big companies don’t care about history, and see everything in dollar signs.

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on January 30, 2009 at 7:22 pm

I still hope Costco will go elsewere. This theater has too much history to just vanish in the wind.

I mean, look at how many classic films played here in it’s almost 39 year history. “Halloween”, “Alien” etc…

nightshadezero
nightshadezero on January 30, 2009 at 3:45 pm

I think costco still has the space, but for whatever reason decided to hold off on buildong for another year. But this time, when they do decide to close, we will be given 3 months notice. That way, we won’t have to worry about wether we need to order more items or find new jobs. But we still don’t know if we’re closing after our year is up. Because of that, the higher-ups won’t find it worth their while to renovate. If that keeps people from returning to our theatre then they can to to the movico in rosemont. Much nicer there for the same cost. As for ‘how’s business’, the only times we’re really busy nowadays is for kids movies and those stupid PG-13 horror movies that teens go see thinking they’re getting into a rated R movie (i.e. the unborn).

aek316
aek316 on January 30, 2009 at 1:21 pm

Thanks for the good news nightshadezero! Based on what you said about your job, they must’ve just told you! I remember at this time last year I asked the manager if they were closing, and he said it depended on Costco building on the site. If they said no, the theater would remain open. Apparently, Costco has passed on the space. I’m so glad! Nightshadezero, how’s business? Do you know if the property is still for sale? The theater still looks fairly busy when I drive by it at night. I really think with some proper renovations, this theater could thrive for a long time. Good location, big screening rooms. It’s good to see history prevail over blah big box retail for once (at least for now)! Thanks for the update nightshadezero, and good luck with your new job!

nightshadezero
nightshadezero on January 30, 2009 at 5:45 am

I currently work at AMC norridge and I can tell you that it is staying open for at least another year! It’s too bad they took so long to tell us that since i’ve already found another job!

aek316
aek316 on January 30, 2009 at 5:22 am

There may be a ray of hope for the Norridge! I just read online that Costco WILL NOT be building on the Maurice Lenell lot or the surrounding property. Maybe the theater will have a stay of execution? If so, one word for AMC: Renovate!

Broan
Broan on December 28, 2008 at 7:56 pm

The Maurice Lenell outlet has closed…

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on November 26, 2008 at 6:56 pm

Does anyone know the seating capacity for each of the ten screens?

aek316
aek316 on October 31, 2008 at 3:53 am

I am finally commenting on my displeasure with the decision to close this theater. the Norridge in my eyes was (and to me still is) a northwest side institution. 40+ years in business for a movie theater is no small feat, especially in this day in age when movie theaters typically don’t make it to 20 years old anymore before they’re replaced with newer, bigger cinemas. As posted by many above, Norridge has been a survivor for years, and I think still has the potential to be one. Sadly, we’ll never know as yet another non descript big box store will soon take it’s place-

I see the logic of replacing the Norridge, even if I don’t agree with it. The theater is deteriorating inside and out. My fiance refuses to go to a movie there because of how dated and dirty it is on the inside. This obviously has had an effect on business. But the plain truth is IT DIDN’T HAVE TO BE THAT WAY! AMC with their inactivity and poor management, has let this once beautiful multiplex turn into a deteriorating relic. As Paul posted above, Kerasotes took a dated Webster Place theater and totally redid it and by all accounts, the place is jumping again. Why couldn’t AMC do this to the Norridge?! With it’s big screens, it has an experience to offer moviegoers that few of today’s multiplexes can provide!

I remember seeing Batman here in 1989. It was a matinee, but the place was packed and we got to sit in one of the big theaters with the reclining chairs. At that time 10 screens at a theater was unheard of in our area. Over the years, I have seen many a blockbuster at the Norridge and have had many great experiences. As the years progressed though, things began to look dated and almost like a time warp. The last 2 times I was there, even I had to partially agree with my fiance that they weren’t keeping things up well.

I have seen this theater through the years packed with people for the right feature, but over the years attendance has seemed to dwindle because AMC has allowed it to become an eyesore. The front and outside looks dated, the marquee looks as if it’s falling apart (and only half of it is even used anymore they strangely covered the bottom half with an ugly white board a year ago), the insides of the theaters look EXACTLY as they did when I was a kid. Why?! Doesn’t the AMC chain realize no one will come to your theater if the buzz is bad?

It’s is truly a shame a landmark theater like this has to close simply because management was too lazy to keep it clean and updated with the times. Other AMC theaters in my area like the Old Orchards and even Streets of Woodfield (though that has held up better) also look very dated when compared to some of my new favorites like Kersotes Glen 10 or Golf Mill Showplace or the Movieco in Rosemont. For their refusal to change with the times and keep once flourishing cinemas like Norridge thriving and in business, I hope Kerasotes, Movieco and all other chains draw in the customers and the customers neglect the AMC chain like AMC has neglected it’s once proud theaters! Here’s hoping the zoning does not get passed to build Cost Co, and a chain that actually cares takes this theater over! ‘Nuff said!