AMC Loews Norridge 10

4520 N. Harlem Avenue,
Norridge, IL 60706

aek316
aek316 on July 17, 2012 at 11:30 am

I spoke to an employee at the theater as their number is still listed on Fandango and he told me AMC shut them down. No current plans for the building he said that’s strictly up to the landlords, but AMC is done with the theater. In a perfect world, someone like Classic Cinemas would step in and give it the new life it needs, but I’m sure some stupid big box store will be going there!

aek316
aek316 on July 17, 2012 at 11:27 am

I knew this was coming. Broan is right on, they ran this place into the ground which is a horrible shame. 40+ years in business! While renovations were sorely needed, this theater was very unique. It had big screening rooms unlike the ones you have at today’s multiplexes, comfortable seats and a look that recalled theaters of yesteryear. As usual, AMC let it rot into oblivion just like they did with countless other theaters they owned that were older. Classic Cinemas please step in before it’s too late!

Broan
Broan on July 16, 2012 at 3:17 pm

You get the impression that AMC approached it like an old car – just enough maintenance to keep it running until something serious breaks, running out the clock.

whtesoxfan56
whtesoxfan56 on July 16, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Yeah, same here. In a way, I’m not surprised it finally closed, since it was hemmoraging in its attendance for years. Muvico especially put a nail into the coffin(when it came to its attendance), as well as the opening of newer theaters in surrounding areas in recent years(i.e. Showplace 12(Golf Mill) in Niles, etc.).

The last several times I saw a movie here in recent years(and as recently as December 2011, primarily since it was the only theater it was playing at), I always got the impression AMC put next to no investment into this theater, vs. other ones they own(i.e. Village Crossing 18 in Skokie). I must say that I always got the impression the last few times I saw a movie here that if a company other than AMC owned Norridge(and threw some money to improve it, a la when Kerasotes renovated Webster Place), that it would’ve really helped things a lot. If this theater ever were to reopen(and I really doubt it, especially with the digital projection deadline being December 2012), I couldn’t see it being viable except as a 2nd-run theater.

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on July 16, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I don’t see another operator taking it over especially for the reasons Broan cites; currently Chicago does not have many smaller operators except for Classic Theaters which I doubt would be interested. The closing will probably give the Muvico at Rosemont a boost.

Broan
Broan on July 16, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Norridge is so far different from what AMC’s direction is. I can’t see them investing in a non-stadium, irregular theater that requires 2 concession stands, 2 sets of bathrooms, has poor visibility, excessively large auditoriums, etc. Maybe a smaller operator will want to deal with it, but it would still need 10 digital projectors at a minimum and major renovations to bring audiences back. It would probably be more efficient to just build a new one, like AMC did at Randhurst.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on July 16, 2012 at 1:20 pm

So is the closure permanant or temporary?

Broan
Broan on July 16, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Yeah, I should have rewritten that before I posted. Here: The original twin theaters, which sat 1200 and 900 respectively, were ultimately subdivided into screens 5-10. I’m guessing at which screens were involved, but this sounds like the most likely series of expansions and splits to me. A third screen was added to the right side of the building (ultimately called Theater 1) and opened July 25, 1975. A fourth screen was opened June 10, 1977, which was probably the flat-roofed section to the far right of the building, now theater 2. A fifth screen was created by a split in 1983. Screens six and seven seem to have been additions to the rear of theaters 1 and 2. Three more screens were created by splits in 1988, opening on memorial day.

As for the closure, signs on the door of screens 5-10 explained that they were closed due to a water main break, which probably brought about the closure of the remaining screens. Otherwise it seems odd to close a theater a week before the opening of The Dark Knight Rises.

Tim O'Neill
Tim O'Neill on July 16, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Broan: to quote Vinnie Barbarino…“I’m so confused!!!”

Broan
Broan on July 16, 2012 at 8:16 am

Here is an updated link to Box Office Magazine of November 2, 1970. I’m adding photos I took about 5 years ago and a couple from last night.

Tim O'Neill
Tim O'Neill on July 15, 2012 at 12:23 am

BREAKING NEWS!!! Norridge closes tonight, Sunday, July 15.

rivest266
rivest266 on June 23, 2012 at 10:05 am

June 26th, 1970 grand opening ad has been uploaded in the photo section for this cinema.

KenC
KenC on September 17, 2011 at 2:56 pm

After the 10p.m. showing of STRAW DOGS last night, I asked an employee about the possibility of the Norridge closing. Low attendance (8 people in auditorium 1 ; perhaps 24 cars in the parking area at 9:45) did not look promising. He said every year there are rumors re: the theatre closing. But every year AMC renews the lease. Most important, they recently invested $10,000. for new air-conditioning. So, it looks like the theatre will remain open for at least the near future. Good news.

Paul Fortini
Paul Fortini on July 4, 2010 at 6:46 am

Cinemark Fan,

Thanks for the shout out. It is amazing how this cinema has survived the other M&Rs and even outlived its supposed competitor, the Bricktown.

It’s too bad Kerasotes bailed so quickly on the cinema biz. Imagine what they could have done to this place, ala the Webster Place.

telliott
telliott on July 2, 2010 at 11:18 am

Any idea which building it is when you look at the Google satellite image? Usually they have these buildings marked, but I can’t tell which is the theatre.

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on June 14, 2010 at 3:50 pm

It has just dawned on me that the Norridge’s 40th birthday is Saturday June 26th. It is doubtful that I’ll be able to finally visit, but you never know.

It’s life is really something. It went from two screens to ten. The movies that have played here cannot be measured. Right now, it is showing the remake of “Karate Kid”, and the original played here when it had 5 screens. And Like Paul Fortini said earlier in this thread, it has outlived its predecessors like the Old Orchard, the original Golf Mill, and the Lawrencewood aka Niles Square. And even in the face of its supposed successors (Bricktown, Cinemark Melrose, Rosemont etc.), it stands. Whether or not it still stands later this year or next remains to be seen. But it looks like Costco has moved on from its plans at Norridge, so we’ll see.

I must ask people who know the place, how big are the screens in #1, 2, 5 and 6? Do some screens in the 5-10 section have top-down masking?

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on December 1, 2009 at 1:00 am

Three photos and a brief description of the original Norridge Twin can be seen in Boxoffice, November 2, 1970.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on November 2, 2009 at 10:16 am

Does this theater still use the LOEWS name or has it changed?

Paul Fortini
Paul Fortini on November 2, 2009 at 9:18 am

Cinemark Fan,

A little off-topic, but it stinks that Kiddieland closed. That place was still profitable up until the end. I went there with my wife and my sister and her boyfriend the next-to-last weekend and we had a great time.

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on October 28, 2009 at 10:48 am

I just saw on the news that Costco is looking to build a store on the site of the now-closed Kiddieland in nearby Melrose Park. If that goes through, then that’s more hope for Norridge.

Anyway, does all the screens have side-masking for scope films? I ask because I think of another M&R turned Loews theater, the Evergreen. And its original 2 screens were split to make 4, and all of them were pretty big screens. I’m wondering if Norridge’s split auditoriums have the same effect.

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on July 10, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Would anybody be willing to describe the theaters themselves to me? Like the color of the seats, walls etc.. And do all the screens have side-masking?

Adoresixtyfour
Adoresixtyfour on June 1, 2009 at 1:32 pm

Went to the Norridge on Saturday to see “Drag Me to Hell.” Hadn’t been there in ages. Used to go there all the time when I was a kid (because the neighborhood theaters were falling apart and the downtown theaters were scary), so I’m happy it’s still around and in pretty good shape, as far as I can tell.

KenC
KenC on May 28, 2009 at 6:23 pm

CinemarkFan- I have never been to Chicago Ridge Mall; it’s unlikely I’ll get there. Haven’t been to the Lake in some time. Will try to get there in early June…it’s a great theatre.

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on May 10, 2009 at 4:07 pm

KenC,

If you can, could you get the seat count for Chicago Ridge Mall and the Lake in Oak Park?

KenC
KenC on February 24, 2009 at 6:25 pm

A correction: The employee who gave me the seating capacity for each auditorium was selling tickets and working the concession stand for theatres 1,2,3 and 4. This section is the one nearest to Harlem Ave. A little west is another section of the theatre, which houses auditoriums 5 through 10. This is where an employee is IN the boxoffice, and two more are working the concession…facing south. Across from the popcorn and candy is the managers stand- facing north. Even though the Norridge lacks stadium seating, it’s still a very comfortable place. Lots of leg room, very high ceilings, and pretty wide auditoriums will make me come back. One negative- the marquee on Harlem is NOT inviting; one might think the theatre is closed or has only 5 screens. A very minor complaint- a few water stains on the ceiling of a few auditoriums. But, generally speaking, I give this decades old theatre a thumbs up. Hope it lasts!