Harwan Theatre

7 N. Black Horse Pike,
Mount Ephraim, NJ 08059

jerseywizard
jerseywizard on January 16, 2007 at 6:25 pm

Yes it should be gone by the end of the week.Very sad I grew up in Glendora so as a kid The Harwan was a 10 min bus ride to go to the movies.
A Walgreens took out a Block in Glendora a few years ago. how many drug stores do you need.
So to see the Harwan it is sad if you love these old Theatres and you live in S.Jersey if you get the chance go to The Broadway in Pitman and enjoy it someday they may all be gone.

bmatlosz
bmatlosz on January 16, 2007 at 12:47 pm

IT’S GOING DOWN !!!!! The Harwan was being demolished today 1/16/2007 !!! I rode by it and there were two large construction shovels ripping down the surrounding structures. There were pieces of the roof over the lobby missing and a large hole in the wall above the marquee. I took what will probably be the last pictures of it on my camera phone. I will post them to a site shorty. Sad, very sad indeed…..

bmatlosz
bmatlosz on December 13, 2006 at 12:03 pm

Went by it today… it is boarded up and there is a temporary fence around the whole building. It looks like the end is near for another one of these treasures….

Killerwithin
Killerwithin on November 7, 2006 at 4:43 pm

The Century in Audubon was torn down to become a Eckard, not a Walgreens…. but it doesn’t matter – the nicer pieces of the face of the Harwan were salvaged ( who owns them now I don’t know ) and soon the place will be history.

elahrairrah
elahrairrah on September 15, 2006 at 9:46 am

I just took some pics of the Harwan when I heard it was marked for demolition like the Century was:

WCFieldsFanClub
WCFieldsFanClub on August 15, 2006 at 4:10 am

According to an article in today’s (8/15/06) Courier Post, the Harwan Theater WILL razed to make way for a new Walgreen’s! With a large CVS store under constructed across the street and another Walgreen’s less than one mile down the Blackhorse Pike what we really do not need is another drug store! What a shame!

The Walgreen’s in Audubon caused the demolition of another old theater, The Century Theater along with a theatricatical supplies store, which occupied the vacant theater building. The Audubon Walgreen’s closed approximately one year after its construction in 2003. Could it be the neighborhood did not want to support such a store?

Your voice can be heard…The Mount Ephraim zoning board and planning board is scheduled to conduct its regular meeting at 7:30 pm on Monday, August 21st at the Borough Hall, 121 S. Black Horse Pike. Please attend and let the board hear your feeling about the impending loss of another old theater. Remind them of the Walgreen’s Audubon store!

willow2k
willow2k on June 26, 2006 at 9:29 am

Not sure how long this link will work, but….
It looks like the Harwan is, unfortunately, on it’s way to becoming a Walgreens. Which of course will be directly across from a newly rebuilt CVS. So, it seems that the whole block will be torn down to accomodate yet another drugstore!
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news…

wizzack
wizzack on May 16, 2006 at 1:12 pm

I’m wondering the same thing. still looked closed when I drove by. hopefully opening soon!

raymondgordonsears
raymondgordonsears on March 28, 2006 at 9:36 am

Did this theater ever open? I see NO postings after July 2005. WHAT’s UP?

dave86a
dave86a on July 7, 2005 at 6:57 pm

The organ was most likely removed from the theater during it’s 1970’s facelift…

teecee
teecee on July 5, 2005 at 10:15 am

A Kilgen organ, opus 4271, was installed in the Mt. Ephraim Theatre in 1929.

teecee
teecee on June 8, 2005 at 8:00 am

FeverDog:

I found this information on the running of Rocky Horror in 1993-1994:

Harwan – Mt. Ephraim, NJ
Saturday, midnight, $5.00
Comments: One of the oldest casts in the country (15 years old), and
the only cast in South Jersey and surrounding Philadelphia area. The
Transducer Players are pictured on pages 120-121 of Sal’s 15th
anniversary book, as well as pictured on the back cover with the
eastside cinema cast. (That was just after they lost the 8th street
playhouse in the village.) Shows EVERY saturday night at midnight,
admition is still only $5.00. The theater itself is a single screen,
600 seat vaudville theater complete with stage. An average show is
150-250 people. Virgin of the week every week. Theme nights and
prizes all the time. Origonal pre-shows. Professional cast. Highest

recomendations. Phone: 609-931-8869

For more info on the Transducer Players, or to subscribe to our weekly
newsletter, (Non-profit. Just pay the postage. A stamp a week.) mail
to:
The Transducer Players
110 Warren Avenue
Voorhees, NJ 08043-1235

PS – No, I’m not a fan of this movie, I’m just trying to help others with this post.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on June 7, 2005 at 6:25 am

The only address that I have found for this theater is the intersection of Black Horse Pike and Kings Highway.

RickB
RickB on June 7, 2005 at 4:30 am

Before about 1968 the Harwan was known as the Mount Ephriam Theatre.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on June 6, 2005 at 8:14 pm

A photo of the Harwan Theater can be seen here:

mkbnett
mkbnett on June 6, 2005 at 7:55 pm

Hey Dave, just wondering if the Harwan would be ready for a one-night rental in mid-July, and if not, if there was any way that folks can volunteer to help renovate in time

Thanks,
‘matt!

ps – this is the same “‘matt” that sent you an email about a week ago, heh

Fable
Fable on May 19, 2005 at 11:46 am

Will do—and just did.

dave86a
dave86a on May 19, 2005 at 11:34 am

Hey Fable.. please contact me offsite —

dave86a
dave86a on May 19, 2005 at 11:32 am

I agree that classics on the big screen would be wonderful, but between rental rates and low-turn out they prove no profit. Since the Harwan is not a non-profit organization yet I doubt a film series will be realistically possible. I believe the new incarnation will be for small shows and celebrity performers, as that was the plan about a year ago. Shameless plug: I’ll be screening some classics outdoors on an 8 foot screen this summer as part of “The Lawn-Chair Drive In” in Northern Liberties park, Philadelphia, they’ll be screened off of 16mm film prints complete with cartoons etc… No admission costs!

Fable
Fable on May 17, 2005 at 7:03 am

I wonder what the hold up is? And whether the people trying to reopen it have considered making it a 30’s/40’s house? There should be a market for seeing quality b&w films, since at least two cable networks are devoted largely to that—but on a big screen, how much more impressive the films are. Not to mention the experience of going to an older theater: the shared audience appreciation, the celebratory experience of a night out, etc.

smut666
smut666 on May 17, 2005 at 6:53 am

Would love to see the theater from the inside and take some pics.
Went to alot of movies at the harwan in the 70’s.
I hope they fix it up.

Fable
Fable on March 30, 2005 at 8:21 pm

Called nearly a year ago, and left word, along with a phonenumber, expressing a willingness to help out in anyway. Never heard back. Hope you guys find the people to open up, in any case.

Fable
Fable on August 4, 2004 at 8:04 am

I think this is marvelous news. My wife and I moved to New Jersey 6 years ago, and we constantly joke about the utter lack of architectural taste in a state which it appears people are always traveling out of. ;) White Horse Pike and Black Horse Pike come in for our most scathing attacks.

But when I found the Harwan one day about a year ago, we pulled over and just stared. It’s a magnificent example of creative art deco, and (in our opinion) should be on the National Registry of Historic Buildings, if it isn’t already. We’ve occasionally passed by since then, and until we found this website, were simply waiting for it to be torn down. I’m glad the opposite is happening, and that it will be revived—though running a classic movie theater in the middle of nowhere, is going to be a difficult job, at best. I hope you secure state grant monies for this project. Keep as well away from films that can be found elsewhere; show films that are likely to draw large audiences while remaining true to the notion of what a “classic” is. Hopefully, you have a large-sized screen, not one of the mutant dwarf screens that proliferate in today’s movie theaters. That size may well prove one of your biggest draws, since you can tell people repeatedly that they’ll be looking at the picture the way it was meant to be shown.

I know a (little) bit whereof I speak, because I led a program of classic films up in Fargo many years ago, and more recently was a member of a board that chose classic films in Peoria. (Not exactly a beautiful town, either.) Good luck, regardless.

65novawagon
65novawagon on May 2, 2004 at 5:22 am

The HARWAN theater is scheduled to re-open shortly. It was set for june 19th but that date doesn’t seem very possible right now due to the recent break in of some kids. They sliced our screen, dumped all our donated paint. The theater will be running now as a nonprofit so we are literally working to get it open with nothing right now. We are still shooting to open sometime in June with the official grand-opening events in the begining of September.
The Harwan will house classic films, children’s programs, theater productions, bands, and yes midnight matinees of ROCKY HORROR.
Some corrections: over 500 seats in theater, ran now by the Peoples Love of the Arts.
The theater is becoming quite pleasing to the eye inside I must say. Dave And Jade I’m sorry I have never had the pleasure of meeting you but i’d love to talk.
Anyone interested in more info. on the theater, how you can help, or to be put on the mailing list for upcoming events please contact us at