Malverne Cinema

350 Hempstead Avenue,
Malverne, NY 11565

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on October 10, 2007 at 9:54 pm

Much obliged, RCDTJ. I live so damn close to the Malverne now (I’m in Lynbrook), I’ll have to try and check out a flick or two there soon. I’ll give it a few weeks to see if they can finish installation of the new sound systems – and then, I guess, I’ll try and avoid #3! And I don’t think I’d enjoy #1 or #5 either due to size.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on October 10, 2007 at 9:38 pm

Hi Ed,
There was a reason for installing the stereo sound in those 2 theaters. Both of the theaters were having issues with the Kelmar mono sound systems. They did take the RGM stereo systems from Oceanside and use them in 1 and 5. Theater 2 will have the installation of a Dolby stereo system completed in about 2 weeks. Then theater 4 is next. As far as the splitting goes, the theater was NOT gutted. Theaters 3 and 4 share the original stage. Theaters 1 and 2 share the original rear. Theater 5 was a store next to the theater. These are definite facts.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on October 10, 2007 at 9:23 pm

Hmmmm. Interesting they installed the stereo sound for the smallest rooms in the house. Some contradictions in the posts above regarding how the original house was split. Sounds like the original auditorium was completely gutted to make way for the new screens – I’m just not sure if there are 3 or 4 rooms in the original space. Different posts here note that either 1 additional screen was open in adjacent retail space or 2 screens were. Can anyone clarify that for sure? Thanks.

7traintoshea
7traintoshea on October 9, 2007 at 10:29 pm

The seating is
1. 94
2. 128
3. 118
4. 143
5. 62
Screens 1 and 5 are equipped with stereo sound. I guess the speakers are from Oceanside, which closed a couple years ago, which they used to own.

Ligg
Ligg on December 3, 2006 at 10:26 pm

I love the Malverne. It is like the Long Island’s answer to the Angelica. I do not think most Malvernites go there, or at least in droves like a local movie theater it once was. My mother has a friend who lives near the main street, and she tells my mother, “oh you are one of those people who come from all over the Island to a movie and take all of our parking spaces, LOL!”

The place is very clean and well maintained. For the most part, with dividing the main auditorium, it is pretty modern inside, except, try going into the Men’s room. It still has the original urinals. You walk in, and it is not freakish or anything like that, but they look like antiques themselves, the kind you would find in an old courthouse, museum or old public building in the city!

So you we can all be assured that Malverne’s management has some interest in preservation! LOL

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on November 26, 2006 at 4:44 pm

Ed,
The “Independent Screening Room” was supposed to be a party room but it got screwed up during construction and became screen #5. The door you see in front is closed off. The exit is next to the box office.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on November 25, 2006 at 8:36 pm

Thanks for the info, saps.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on November 24, 2006 at 10:04 pm

The “screening room” is just another auditorium, the smallest one at about 62 seats. It is located in a former retail space to the right of the theatre, as seen in the photos above. The door you see is used for exit only; the small screen is to the right of the door (or to the left of the door when you are inside).

Malverne uses this screen for its older pictures, often splitting the bill with 2 separate-admission features.

The original auditorium is divided into four rooms; the entrance to the fifth screen is located toward the front of the lobby.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on November 24, 2006 at 7:01 pm

Snapped some evening photos of the Malverne Theater a couple of weeks back. In the first image, I tried to approximate the angle of the shot Warren posted on October 20, 2005. I’ll start off with those two images for comparison…

Malverne at night 2006
Malverne at night 1946

The old ticket booth is gone (for a long time now, I’m sure), the brick facade and wood-framed display cases have been concealed with more modern material and the old entrance doors updated with glass replacements. Here are the rest of the photos…

Wide shot
Profile shot 1
Profile shot 2
Independent Screening Room
Outer vestibule
Ticket lobby through entrance doors

RCDTJ… what’s the “Independent Screening Room” adjacent to the theater? There doesn’t seem to be any entry from the street (the door has a door saying as much)… is this a storefront that was converted to one of the Malvern’s current screens?

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on July 18, 2006 at 9:06 am

That was a great story Lin. I love hearing things like that. Now as far as the private screening room is concerned. I never thought of it as a private screening room, but I guess you really could call it that. It was actually a room for the projectionist to sit a monitor the film. It wasnt big enough to hold 15 people though. Maybe a bit less. Most theaters did have this room way back when. The room is still there, sort of. The wall was taken down to expand the booth. Believe it or not, the speaker is still on the wall. As far as stereo sound goes, it has started to be upgraded. Two of the screens, 2 and 5, have front/surround stereo. The other 3 will be upgraded to full dolby stereo in the next few months.

hotaru
hotaru on July 17, 2006 at 11:37 am

OK, I’ve got an anecdote and some info from my Dad, who was born and raised in Malverne. He worked at the Malverne as an usher back in 1952 for about 6 months; he was 15. RobertR is correct, it didn’t have a balcony. Look at the photos Warren posted (Dad liked those, BTW); in the second pair there’s a photo of the rear of the house, and you can see the doorway that leads to the stairs to the projection room, and the private screening room. The window of this screening room can also be seen in this photo, just to the left of the projection openings. I don’t know if this was a common feature in theaters, but Dad sure liked it- that was his favorite place to watch movies. This room was soundproof, with its own speakers, and had a seating capacity of about 10-15. Dad’s illustrious career as an usher came to a screeching halt when the manager discovered he had been letting his buddies in for free through the back door. The manager had been none the wiser to this arrangement for a while, though. One day the guys got a little too rowdy, and the manager asked to see thier ticket stubs, which, of course, they were unable to produce. Upon further questioning as to how they got in, they quickly ratted out their benefactor, thus ending Dad’s days of watching movies in private luxury upstairs, as his non-paying friends raised a ruckus down below. He wasn’t too devastated, though. He hated wearing what he called his “Monkey Suit”. This was the standard garb for ushers at the Malverne (and probably similar to what ushers wore everywhere in those days)– a grey jacket, slacks and hat with maroon trim, white shirt, and a cardboard dickey with a bow tie. You’d get busted for having a dirty dickey; this was one of the mgr.’s pet peeves, haha. Dad made 50 cents an hour for usher duty, a whopping 75 cents/hr for those days when he filled in for the mighty ticket-tearer. Box office duty was reserved for attractive girls in their late teens or early twenties. Dad still visits family in Malverne every weekend, but he has not seen a movie at the Malverne since the old days. I spent the better part of my childhood in Malverne, and can (barely) remember when it was a single screen house. Used to go sometimes once they twinned it and they were showing off price films, and have seen some of the offbeat stuff there. I haven’t been there since they added screens, and I have to admit, I’m put off by lack of stereo sound. Doesn’t seem to faze the Malvernites, though. The place still does a good business, and there are always people about whenever I drive by. I"ll have to stop in and ask if the private screening room is still in use!

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on October 25, 2005 at 1:44 am

The Film Daily Yearbook;1950 edition gives a seating capacity of 670.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on October 20, 2005 at 8:17 am

The Malverne Theatre first opened in 1946, and had John & Drew Eberson as architects. The style was described as “Neo-Colonial.” Here are several images:
www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/malverne1.jpg
www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/malverne2.jpg

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on January 20, 2005 at 11:45 am

It would do much better if they upgrade the equipment.

RobertR
RobertR on December 28, 2004 at 7:35 am

Malverne never had a balcony, it’s a well run clean place but small.

chconnol
chconnol on December 28, 2004 at 7:24 am

I went to this theater a lot but for some reason, I can’t recall if it had a balcony. I don’t think it did but it might’ve.

I saw “Being There” in 1980 and it was still a single screener. I remember thinking it was a lot like the Century’s Baldwin but then the auditorium was surprisingly ornate. It wasn’t all black paint…the ceiling was sculpted and had a small dome. It looked like it could’ve used some work though. Soon after, it got it’s multiplexing thing and became a double. For years it actually got a lot of first run movies then switched to more art house stuff. Saw “Out of Africa”, “Sweet Liberty” and other films here in the mid 80’s.

I think the theater remains to this day because the neighborhood is still so nice. Not a great theater at all but it was decently maintained at least.

taketheatrai
taketheatrai on December 21, 2004 at 10:13 pm

The capacities are an average of 125 seats in screens 1 through 4 and 62 seats in theatre 6. The sound is awful. All films are showned MONO, no stereo!!!

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on November 28, 2004 at 6:52 am

Malverne has 5 screens not 6. They also run film festivals.

RobertR