Majestic Theater

Ridgewood, NY 11385

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on June 6, 2006 at 5:28 am

Gee, I hope this site wasn’t their source. LOL

Bway
Bway on June 6, 2006 at 5:15 am

Haha, I think their source may be cinematreasures….

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on June 6, 2006 at 4:46 am

Peter…On the Forgotten NY website it claims that, “The Madison opened in 1927 and showed its last film in 1978”. Here is the link. Scroll down, its near the bottom of the page. I don’t know who or what their source is.

PKoch
PKoch on June 6, 2006 at 4:33 am

Closing date of the Madison : recommend beginning the search in October 1977 and continuing to February 1978. I KNOW, as surely as I know anything, that the RKO Madison was closed by the last Saturday of February 1978, as I have amply posted on this site, perhaps at risk of seeming as if I have “RKO Madison Turretts Syndrome” !

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on June 6, 2006 at 3:46 am

From what people have told me and from documents that I have found, I think that both the Majestic and the Grandview closed around the same time and that would be 1954-55. Finding the closing date of the Madison theater should be easier than finding the closing date of the Majestic. Maybe one of those ads that RobertR posts will show movies playing at the Madison one week and not the following week. We need to see some ads from early 1978 to narrow down the closing date of the Madison.

Bway
Bway on June 5, 2006 at 5:27 pm

Lost, just as you can still see your ball on the roof of the Majestic….one day we will find out what was the last movie at the Madison, and when the Majestic actually closed….

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on April 10, 2006 at 2:18 pm

I think I see a spalding on the Majestic roof. I wonder if its from the last stick ball game that I played there. Can’t be, it probably would have melted by now. :) Two questions that I still have not found the answer to. When did the Majestic close and what was the last movie to play at the Madison. I don’t give up easily so one day I hope to find those answers.

PKoch
PKoch on April 5, 2006 at 5:28 am

Thanks, Bway !

Bway
Bway on April 5, 2006 at 4:26 am

Here’s an aerial view of the Majestic Theater:

KenRoe
KenRoe on August 26, 2005 at 8:20 am

Bway;Here are a couple of links to the ‘Majestic’ that was built for the movie “The Majestic” in Ferndale, CA: View link

Bway
Bway on January 19, 2005 at 7:21 am

I also noticed that in the movie “The Majestic” with Jim Carrey, they use the Graumann’s Chinese Theater in Hollywood both outside in the courtyard and in the auditorium at the beginning of the movie.
However, does anyone know where the “Majestic” Theater is that they use in that film is? They use the interior and exterior of an old theater as the basis of the film, and was wondering if it was a real theater, and if it is, where it is and what it’s called.

I didn’t know where to ask this (and I of course know it’s not this “Majestic Theater”), but didn’t know where else to ask this.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on December 6, 2004 at 10:05 am

There are three buildings on the block where the Majestic stood. Seneca Chapels formerly the Majestic is on Seneca ave at the corner of Greene ave. The next building closest to Seneca Chapels is still some sort of factory building. The building after that is the laundromat which is on Seneca ave and Harmon st.

boygeniusandme
boygeniusandme on December 3, 2004 at 7:23 am

The factory building next to the majestic is now a laundromat.

Carlo
Carlo on October 21, 2004 at 11:57 am

the majestic opened in 1923, the grandview in 1924, the oasis in 1927 the same year as the madison theatre

Bway
Bway on October 11, 2004 at 10:01 am

I also posted a current photo of the Oasis site in it’s section:
/theaters/4624/

Unlike the Whitney which was demolished in the 20’s, the Oasis building still partly survives. The lobby, the entire right side of the building, and the stores connected to the theater on the Fresh Pond Road frontage was torn down in the mid 1990’s. However, the main auditorium still remains, and new exterior walls put on it from where the other parts were ripped off. It is currently a CVS.
The stores that faced Fresh Pond Rd were in the same Egyptian design on their one storry fasades as the main part of the theater. Unfortunately, all of that is now gone.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on October 11, 2004 at 9:55 am

The history of the Oasis (designed by Thomas Lamb) is posted at that theatre’s listing. It was not the same theatre as the Whitney. In fact, the land sites are quite a few blocks apart.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on October 11, 2004 at 9:45 am

Orlando…..The Whitney was already open in 1912 because we have seen a photo of the Whitney taken that year. I do believe the Majestic opened in the early 20’s and closed around 1954. The Evergreen opened in 1913 and possibly closed around 1928.

Bway
Bway on October 11, 2004 at 9:42 am

The Whitney and the Oasis are not the same theater. The Oasis opened as the Oasis in the early 1920’s and was located on Fresh Pond Rd, near Greene Ave or Menahan St, not near the subway tracks.
The Whitney was located right next to the subway tracks, and there are photos of it from the 1910’s showing the theater next to the tracks. The Oasis and the Whitney are seperate theaters, both on Fresh Pond Rd, but quite a few blocks apart.

Orlando
Orlando on October 11, 2004 at 9:29 am

According to my records, the Majestic closed in 1953 maybe ‘54 and opening in the early 1920-24 period. The Grandview 1929-1954. The Evergreen opened in 1920 and closed in 1928 (only a silent film house). The Whitney opened in 1920 and closed in 1927 and then became the Oasis in 1927. The Whitney and Oasis are one in the same.
I was in the area yesterday. P.S. See the STARR theatre on this site.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on October 11, 2004 at 8:04 am

This theater was open in the 20’s. I found a list of New York movie theater’s from 1925 and the Majestic is on it. This theater is older than I thought. Also on that list is the Grandview, the Whitney and the Evergreen on Seneca ave.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on October 1, 2004 at 4:10 pm

Your right about that 1931 build date being incorrect. I found the same thing on a few other buildings in the area. I now believe that the Majestic opened sometime in the 20’s and I’m trying to find out when the Grandview opened. I think its possible that they both opened around the same time.

Bway
Bway on October 1, 2004 at 2:09 pm

Yes, that’s that discrepancy which occurs with a lot of the buildings in Ridgewood. (Remember this came up with the EVergreen Theater’s neighboring buildings too). That 1931 date seems to come up for a lot of buildings incorrectly. It is highly unlikely much got built in the 1930’s in Ridgewood, as that was the beginning of the Depression. No one was investing anything back then in that decade.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on October 1, 2004 at 12:02 pm

I previously had thought that the Majestic was built in 1931. The following story is from 1928 so the document I viewed that said 1931 must be incorrect. It must have opened in the 1920’s.

“In 1928 We lived on Woodward Avenue between Bleecker Street and Menahan Street. It used to cost a dime to go to the Majestic movie theater with wooden seats without cushions, which was located on Seneca Avenue, and as they were still showing silent films, a musician would play a piano to accompany the action on the screen”.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on September 23, 2004 at 6:52 am

Bway…..Thanks for posting that photo. Maybe now people can better understand what I was talking about when we first discussed this theater. The open space to the right in the photo is where the wooden house stood that I mentioned. I see that the factory building is still there. At one time it was a knitting mill but I have no idea what it is used for today. Like I mentioned previously, there were no side windows on the building. You can see in the photo the side door that we entered the Majestic through to find a way to the roof. Behind the car parked by the stop sign is a fire hydrant which limited how many cars could park in that area. Between that and the driveway further down, most of that side of the street was clear of parked cars. Opposite that building is a row of parking garages (not shown in the photo) which made that enire area a great place to play ball.

Bway
Bway on September 22, 2004 at 2:12 pm

Here’s a current view of the Majestic Theater taken today.

Click here for link

The is theater is now Seneca Chapels.