Crest Theatre

1013 K Street,
Sacramento, CA 95814

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on October 7, 2008 at 11:29 am

That is a great shot Don. It looks like the kind of photo that belongs in a magazine. Here is one with some neon.

DonSolosan
DonSolosan on May 6, 2008 at 9:30 pm

I would say it’s a very nice shot of the entrance, Lost Memory. I wish I’d had more time to take photos. I’d have liked to have shot it when the sun was going down and the neon was turned on…

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on May 6, 2008 at 7:18 pm

This is a nice shot of the entrance.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on May 5, 2008 at 10:49 am

This is another photo of the Crest.

William
William on April 22, 2008 at 12:55 pm

Those Gold Rush panels that Don S posted about can be found in a few former Fox West Coast Theatres in Southern California. (Village in Westwood, El Portal in North Hollywood, California in Huntington Park)

Robert Allen
Robert Allen on April 22, 2008 at 12:12 pm

I worked the Crest as a relief man for the Sacramento IA local in the late 60s. At that time it had three projectors – two Century and a Simplex. I used to run the trailers and a short (Universal News or a cartoon, I can’t remember which). It was one of the prettiest theatres I ever worked.

DonSolosan
DonSolosan on March 30, 2008 at 12:02 pm

The entrance to the lobby features two bronze panels depicting Gold Rush scenes that were created for the Fox chain.

I also visited this theater last year on a photo safari and experienced the generosity of the employees. Great theater, great people.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on February 2, 2008 at 1:01 pm

And here is a 2008 exterior view.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on August 12, 2007 at 8:21 am

Here is a recent interior view of the Crest.

scottfavareille
scottfavareille on June 7, 2007 at 1:09 pm

According to yesterday’s Sacramento Bee, someone is planning to turn this into a performing arts center “like the Lincoln Center” in New York City.

noncmuffin
noncmuffin on April 25, 2007 at 7:16 pm

The Crest is something to be experienced. Few places hold so much beauty and wonderful energy. I worked there for about three years (1998 – 2001) and it was a great moment in my life. So many interesting people and performers come through those doors. I’ve seen a million films there, and so many concerts I can’t remember them all. Everyone, from Cab Calloway to Nirvana have graced it’s stage. If you are ever in Sacramento I cann’t tell you enough…visit this most historic and wonderful theatre.

Simon Overton
Simon Overton on January 15, 2007 at 3:02 pm

While waiting for agaes for Greyhound bus connects back to San Francisco, my wife and I came across the magnificent Crest by sheer and wonderful surprise. We peered through the lobby doors and were smiled at by “Syd” a lady who opened up and gave us the “royal tour.” It was a most memorable visit and we’re so pleased to see the Crest is alive and well!

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on September 26, 2006 at 6:10 am

There are a couple of recent photos of the Crest theater at this link. Click each photo to expand it.

Coate
Coate on September 17, 2006 at 3:32 pm

Earlier in this thread, two people claimed seeing “2001: A Space Odyssey” at the Crest in 1968. I think this is highly doubtful considering “2001” played an exclusive run at the Esquire from the time it had its area premiere in June 1968 through spring 1969. Perhaps the posters were thinking of a subsequent engagement. But then, perhaps one theatre is being confused with the other.

It seems a lot of people have fond memories of seeing “2001” in the theatre. For those folks, here’s a link to a little something I researched regarding its original release. Page 2 of the article is a list of the original hard-ticket, reserved-seat roadshow engagements. Well, most of ‘em anyway.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on September 16, 2006 at 4:34 pm

Here is a recent 2006 photo of the Crest theater.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on March 26, 2006 at 5:50 pm

Wow. Is this place cool or what? In the dictionary next to the definition of killer vintage movie theatre there is a picture of this place. That tower is the best part.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on March 5, 2006 at 3:14 pm

This is a recent view of the entrance.

tomdelay
tomdelay on October 5, 2005 at 1:11 pm

As the Hippodrome, this theatre contained a 2 manual 6 rank style D
Wurlitzer opus 1843. Another Wurlitzer went to a Sacramento Hippodrome Theatre contained a 2 manual 4 rank style 135 piano console Wurlitzer opus 289. This organ was shipped from North Tonawanda, NY on 2/28/20.

The larger style D organ was sold to Carlos Mendoza in Santa Clara.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on September 15, 2005 at 6:18 am

A 2003 view of the Crest marquee lit at night can be seen here.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on September 15, 2005 at 6:03 am

This is a 1989 photo of the Crest Theater auditorium.

teecee
teecee on April 2, 2005 at 6:51 am

Old interior photo:

teecee
teecee on March 1, 2005 at 2:28 pm

Close up of marquee:

Backseater
Backseater on October 17, 2004 at 9:36 pm

I also saw 2001 there in the spring or summer of 1968, while stationed at Mather AFB. I remember when Kier Dullea was getting ready to “breathe vacuum” transferring from the pod to the ship, I was tempted to stand up and shout “I know you’re out there, Arthur C. Clarke!”

Sierrasue
Sierrasue on June 27, 2004 at 3:38 pm

I saw “2001 a Space Odyssy” at the Crest for the first time in 1968. My friend, Thomas Farrell, was one of the projectionists on duty that night.

KerriSchiff
KerriSchiff on June 19, 2004 at 6:54 pm

Here is a link to the renovation…very cool site.
Yummy pictures: