Marbro Theatre

4110 W. Madison Street,
Chicago, IL 60624

amoswald on September 21, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I will send the link as soon as the Autumn issue is available. Thanks to all of you for the references and photos.

BobbyS on September 21, 2012 at 11:53 am

Tinseltoes, you did it again !! Many thanks for the wonderful link. B&K removed those glass doors prior to demolition and re-installed them in the Portage Theater on the northwest side of Chicago where they hang today in the open mode in the outer lobby. Also bits & pieces of the flashing marquee were salvaged and used for the Portage marquee modernization. Looking so forward to your piece amoswald..

amoswald on September 21, 2012 at 10:16 am

They sure tried, didn’t they? I love the close ups of the entry in the trade article. BTW, my nostalgic piece, “Saturday at the Movies” will appear in the autumn issue of The Write Place at the Write Time, a literary journal. I will send the link when the issue comes out. The story will take you back.

amoswald on June 28, 2012 at 10:35 am

I remember all white, too, Bobby. It was a fabulous view from my window.

BobbyS on June 28, 2012 at 1:22 am

What a beauty!!! Would love to see a color photo at night. I too loved living in the area. So exciting. I read that the Marbro had colored bulbs on the top of the marquee (ala Chicago Theatre) when it was first installed, but were changed to all white in the 1950’s due to expenses. Yet this photo in 1943 looks like they were all white. I remember them white and flashing in 1955. How about you amoswald? Thanks Tinseltoes for posting.

amoswald on June 27, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Beautiful. This was the view to the right of our apartment on Madison Street. I loved living on Madison!

amoswald on June 26, 2012 at 11:09 am

I am trying to find old maps of the Madison Crawford business district. Used to have a link but it is not working. If you know of any, please advise.

Burkesniece on June 26, 2012 at 12:03 am

amoswald ~ have a question for you about the area but not the Theater. I don’t want to break posting rules. I would appreciate it if you would contact me at . Thanks! Michelle

rivest266 on June 25, 2012 at 6:48 pm

This opened on May 28th, 1927. It’s grand opening ad is in the photo section for this theatre.

amoswald on March 11, 2012 at 11:38 am

I did not know about the lawsuit but I do remember seeing a lot of second run and revival films at the Byrd when I was a kid.

BobbyS on March 11, 2012 at 11:11 am

Thanks, I will try it. I am sorry I never ate in your wonderful restaurant. I loved the picture. If my mother knew about it, I am sure we would have. She loved good food. Did you know the owners of the Byrd Theater sued Balaban & Katz Co. owners of the Marbro & State theaters on Madison St. for preventing the Byrd booking first-run quality films in 1955. I don’t know how it ended. But we always went to the Byrd for horror films and films that we missed at the Marbro or State.

amoswald on March 11, 2012 at 10:26 am!/profile.php?id=100002065858388 Try sending a friend request so you can be added.

amoswald on March 11, 2012 at 10:25 am

Did you try searching on Austin neighborhood and sending a request to join the group?

BobbyS on March 10, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Thank you. I got the St. Mel’s, but I could not get the Austin Neighborhood. I tried several times.

amoswald on March 6, 2012 at 11:07 am!/groups/51222342741/ St. Mel’s!/profile.php?id=100002065858388 Austin Neighborhood.

BobbyS on March 6, 2012 at 10:55 am

I too am trying to find the St. Mels search. I did .see a picture in the local paper achives dated 1940’s where a large group of St Mels students marching down Madison St. towards the Marbro Theater for graduation exercises. Also found out Marks Bros. Inc was not bought out by Balaban & Katz Inc in the 1930’s, rather both corporations were bought out by Paramount-Publix and both were subsidies of the giant film studio looking to buy theaters to show their films. The Marks Bros. name was eventually dropped.

Burkesniece on March 3, 2012 at 12:03 am

Amoswald – 2 days on FB … St. Mels – what is exact name to search?

Scrabble on March 2, 2012 at 9:13 am

To enjoy a photo gallery of magnificient theaters, go to:

Burkesniece on March 2, 2012 at 4:17 am

amoswald – Hello, new here! My aunts, The Three Burke Sisters sang at the Marbro, as well as other Chicago theaters. In the late 1930’s they ended their careers, and Rita Burke married a football coach from St. Mels! I just got a facebook acct., I will check out their page. Thanks for the info.

amoswald on February 1, 2012 at 11:54 am

Good question, Bobby. Neon is very expensive. We had a neon sign in front of our family restaurant. It was so amazing to look down from our apartment on our name in lights. What a great time.

BobbyS on February 1, 2012 at 11:49 am

I had to walk two blocks to see what they were putting on the sign on Thursday nights. Couldn’t wait ‘til Friday when I walked by. You had it easy. By the middle 50’s, there weren’t any bulbs on the vertical sign. Pink neon only and elevator trucks were used to re-gas the tubes. I think maybe there were bulbs at one time when they first updated the sign, because you could see the holes were the bulbs used to be. I wonder what year they did the neon.

amoswald on January 31, 2012 at 11:08 pm

I lived on Madison one half block west on the south side of the street. I’d open the window to check the marquee to see what movies were playing. You can’t beat that memory.

JoelWeide on January 31, 2012 at 10:31 pm

I am amazed by the size of the upright sign. I wonder what it took to change the blubs on it?

amoswald on January 30, 2012 at 11:52 pm

If any of you are on FB, there are photos and memories of the Marbro and other B&K theaters posted on the Austin neighborhood group and the St. Mel’s group.