Cineworld Cinema - Leicester Square

5 Leicester Square,
London, WC2H 7NA

AdoraKiaOra
AdoraKiaOra on July 20, 2007 at 8:07 am

Well i remember ages ago the reports were that they were going to put up a more traditional new marquee. I do like this one even tho it doesnt look that exciting, its 100% better than what they ve just rippedd down. Thanks for the pics Ian. I’ll be in town tomorrow and will take a proper look.

Ian
Ian on July 20, 2007 at 7:43 am

A couple of recent exteriors so you can judge for yourself about the new look marquee:–

andysummers on July 20, 2007 at 6:25 am

Here’s a nice but rather rare occasion to see the director and stars from of Apollo 13 at the CIC Empire Leicester square.

andysummers on June 17, 2007 at 3:37 pm

Also I heard from the (Team Leader) at the EMPIRE, who I was speaking to on the phone last Friday night that the new look outside looks fantastic!

andysummers on June 17, 2007 at 3:36 pm

Well I’m looking forwards to travailing up to London on 11th July for DIE HARD LIVE FREE in THX and 56KW of JBL sound power sounds too tempting, see you there in the early hours of the morning.

andysummers on June 10, 2007 at 11:01 am

I see, well I think it should be left alone why change perfection.

AdoraKiaOra
AdoraKiaOra on June 6, 2007 at 9:41 am

I may be wrong but i hope im not- the auditorium is a listed building.

andysummers on June 6, 2007 at 9:30 am

By the way is there any pictures of this conversion? I know that Fred, who once projected at the EMPIRE does some really neat looking videos on Youtube, I wonder if he’s covering this issue?

andysummers on June 6, 2007 at 9:27 am

I don’t know about changing the auditorium I think it should be left as it is it looks fantastic I mean out of this WORLD!
I liked the look of the outside during the late 1980’s with the word EMPIRE all lit up it looked the part and the advertisement of 70mm Dolby films in THX made it all so very tempting to step inside.
I seem to remember when the Warner West End was all knocked down except the front that remained that was a nice touch, so I hope they don’t go too far over the top with the front of the EMPIRE.

AdoraKiaOra
AdoraKiaOra on May 4, 2007 at 5:37 am

Why thank you Mr Dependable! Yea i forgot about that part- sounds great. Wouldnt it be fantastic if they took away all that 80s decor in the foyer and tarted up the auditorium for todays audiences. Ive seen many a great movie here in what is a truly great theatre

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on May 4, 2007 at 5:30 am

Plans have been passed for the ‘opening up’ of the balcony above the entrance doors. This will be used as a ‘platform’ for stars to greet fans when premiers are held at the cinema (similar to the one at the Odeon, Leicester Square.

AdoraKiaOra
AdoraKiaOra on May 4, 2007 at 4:50 am

The front of The Empire is at this time undergoing a transformation. Fankly what ever they do to it it will be million times better than what they had till a few weeks ago. The dreadful canopy that carried the word ‘Empire’ that looked like it had been written by Walt Disney has been taken away and hopefuly destroyed never to be seen again on such a fantastic facade!!! According to a report that the Evening Standard carried a few weeks back which included an artists immpession of what it will look like- its going to go back to an old fashioned iron work canopy. From what i recall from the painting it resembled the new canopys on Londons Victoria Palace & Novello theatres- both of which are stunning. If im corresct its an Irish company who are takeing over the running of The Empire. It needs a lot of work inside to bring it up to a standard exceptable today. Its gone to look very old and tatty in the auditorium recently, maybe because a take over was known for awhile! Back in the 80s this really was a showcase theatre where they had a great pre-performance laser and light show before those fantastic curtains opened onto a huge screen. I look forward to a visit in the future to see whats been done. If anyone has more detailed news of whats going on maybe they would care to fill in the gaps! (Hello, Mr. Roe)

andysummers on January 15, 2007 at 2:08 pm

What’s the cubic volume size of the Empire?

What is the lowest frequency the sub bass array can possibly generate and highest sound pressure level?

andysummers on January 3, 2007 at 8:58 am

cjc

This is the new Mel Gibson film hmm, sounds tempting to go along to I mean £20.00 for travel return, ticket for the Empire yeah £30.00 pounds should be well worth the JBL THX 56KW experience!

andysummers on January 3, 2007 at 3:43 am

Happy New Year to you all

So what’s new at the Empire I know I can look at the sites now showing now list, but what’s new on your latest Empire JBL THX 56KW power experience?

tjhyman
tjhyman on December 18, 2006 at 6:33 am

Surprisingly, it was a 2.35:1 ratio – looked great spread out across the 62 feet of Empire’s screen!

andysummers on December 17, 2006 at 8:56 pm

Happy Feet

What aspect ratio was the film in sounds like a 1.85:1 presentation?

andysummers on December 17, 2006 at 8:54 pm

You have to remember this could be down to two several things one the dynamic range on the film mix might be too high! Therefore the projectionist has set the fader level on the Dolby CP-200 from mark “7” to “6” or worse “5.5”!

On the other hand the fader is set to mark “7” and the mix really isn’t that great, but I’m sure if you where too see it elsewhere, you’ll notice the differences between the films soundtrack.

tjhyman
tjhyman on December 14, 2006 at 8:37 am

I don’t remember if the stars were used for Forrest Gump, but I would assume they were.

I saw HAPPY FEET there last night – absolutely crystal clear digital projection on the 62ft wide screen! Sound was not used to its fullest for the movie though, and was not all that loud, compared to most movies shown there! A cute movie that looks great on the Empire.

andysummers on December 7, 2006 at 4:12 pm

Here’s a basic idea of the type of neon light that I’m using now.

Compared to the Empire the Empire is light-years ahead with there own technique which is absolutely indispensable.

andysummers on December 7, 2006 at 4:09 pm

Anyone know if it neon lighting that colours the Empire’s auditorium? Neon is my first guess or is it something other something more exotic and it is. It’s the only cinema in the UK that knows how to create an atmosphere and that light system is incredible.

Also does anyone know the cost of that lighting system?

I have plans to do something similar in my home cinema using neon lighting with three primary colours and a computerised lighting controller.

andysummers on December 7, 2006 at 11:20 am

LOL, Mate I’m still suffering the after-effects of the Empire’s sound system from the late 1989’s to the mid 1990’s the flashbacks are very vivid.

Star Trek III was kicking me when captain Kirk was kicking the Klingon in the face, I have had enough of you! The audience like that bit! It was in your chest, now that was seated in the middle row, the royals sit. When the U.S.S. Enterprise final went up it went UP! BOOM! It felt like someone kicking me in the face damn!

tjhyman

You mentioned “Forrest Gump” I read an article somewhere that the Empire used the stars above the screen to great affect during the opening of the film is this true?

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on December 7, 2006 at 9:01 am

Andy, the Empire will outgross most West End sites due to their prices but the results do not reflect the excellent presentation they provide in the big screen. At least not yet.

tjhyman
tjhyman on December 7, 2006 at 7:19 am

When I saw THE INCREDIBLES there a couple years ago, the sound effects in the film took full advantage of the Empire’s sound system – brilliant sound then.

One of the best sound experiences I can remember at the Empire is FORREST GUMP – during the Vietnam scene, when it’s all quiet, raining and then suddenly the bombs and bullets hit and the sound system went NUTS !!!

tjhyman