Cineworld Cinema - Leicester Square

5 Leicester Square,
London, WC2H 7NA

tjhyman
tjhyman on December 7, 2006 at 5:19 am

When I saw THE INCREDIBLES there a couple years ago, the sound effects in the film took full advantage of the Empire’s sound system – brilliant sound then.

One of the best sound experiences I can remember at the Empire is FORREST GUMP – during the Vietnam scene, when it’s all quiet, raining and then suddenly the bombs and bullets hit and the sound system went NUTS !!!

andysummers
andysummers on December 7, 2006 at 5:11 am

sinelinden, cjc

I would do this take an SPL db meter with you! This way it will be able to judge the level of power of presentation.

There is still only one cinema that has pinched me and that was Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade at the Empire via the original THX specification back in 1989.

When I say pinched I mean that, just when the water from the cup, the Holy Grail was poured onto Indiana’s dad I felt a pinching low frequency that was right in the stomach I Kidd you not all!

I was seated about 4 rows from the front in one of the middle rocker chairs, so I was pretty close to the screen! I’m never going to forget that part in the film never it was incredible now that was power of atmosphere sheer presentation that not even the Bournemouth IMAX cinema has achieved, sure it’s got over 10KW of power provided by the Sonics loudspeaker array.

But the Empire is still the number #1 for film sound presentation! I would like very much to see hear and feel the power of the Empire unleashed on me again not sure when? I’ll keep checking the films coming soon and do a little research on that film based upon it’s soundtrack this will hopefully sale me the film based on the type of theme if it an Action, Sci-Fi, Horror, or other hopefully I’ll be making my way from Bournemouth to the Empire Leicester square…

sinelinden
sinelinden on December 7, 2006 at 1:31 am

Sound at the Waterloo IMAX has 11,600 Watts Sound accordig to their website whereas The Empire Screen 1 has 56,000 Watts. And The Empire has a bigger 35mm screen than any other in London.

tjhyman
tjhyman on December 7, 2006 at 1:12 am

HAPPY FEET is showing at The Empire from tomorrow.

And whilst I would now make an effort to go to the IMAX London for certain films (like Happy Feet / Superman Returns / Batman Begins), I would prefer to see it at The Empire this weekend – I think the sound is much better than IMAX, although IMAX claim to have more power in terms of watts !

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on December 6, 2006 at 1:49 pm

Insignificant to the point of “off EDI” and no one knows what “THX means anymore” best describes this run, Andy.

andysummers
andysummers on December 6, 2006 at 1:36 pm

I think that those of us who have visited the Empire on one or more occasions rave about the THX sound system there. Getting a good film to play there that’s going to do huge box office returns for that site I feel is based on sound!

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was one of those films and the Star Trek films especially the Star Trek day back in October 1989 WOW astonishingly out of this world and the THX sound system really brought out the richness of the 70mm six-track Dolby Stereo presentation to very high standards that I don’t think has been equalled anywhere else in the United Kingdom except at the Empire!

Not sure how well “A Good Year” is doing at the moment but with 56KW of JBL THX sound power I’d say it doing moderate business, does anyone know for sure?

andysummers
andysummers on November 14, 2006 at 1:19 pm

Qoute
“The Laser Show has not been working since about 1997 and it now seams that they could not get it repaired and no plans to have it again as it appears that at one Royal Film Premier his HRH Charles objected to it as it was "Tacky”.“
Qoute

Mr70mm

What the hell would he know a person who’s been born with a golden spoon in his hand, tacky my foot!

bwales
bwales on November 14, 2006 at 11:20 am

The Laser Show has not been working since about 1997 and it now seams that they could not get it repaired and no plans to have it again as it appears that at one Royal Film Premier his HRH Charles objected to it as it was “Tacky”.

andysummers
andysummers on November 13, 2006 at 5:28 pm

Does anyone know if the laser is working in the booth, the last I heard it broke-down sometime during the mid 1990’s?

andysummers
andysummers on November 13, 2006 at 5:25 pm

Have attended the Empire since the summertime of Wednesday September 13th 1989 for the 70mm six-track Dolby Stereo THX presentation of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, what a show what show it was totally out of this world. Ever since that day I was rather taken by its style for cinema presentation that is second to none.

Since my early days starting out as a junior projectionist for UCI at the Tower Park site based in Poole where lacing up 35mm Victoria IV projectors and running shows was kinder of entertaining. During a few days I took a day trip to London, because all I was reading in the press and certain other magazines was THX sound system.

Well has anyone would know it’s a very special event that brings the sound into you’re lap! Well maybe you’re chest whole pinching you’re stomach as well as the water from the Holy Grail is poured onto Indiana Jones’s dads wound! Still couldn’t tell where that low frequency was coming from?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on November 12, 2006 at 4:16 am

My photo from April 2006:

Already posted above was my photo from 2005:

From the above comments, it doesn’t sound like this theater can survive as is, with the huge auditorium. That would leave the Odeon Leicester Square is the one huge theater in the area.

FilmMan2006
FilmMan2006 on October 19, 2006 at 4:32 am

Visited this cinema on Monday night and saw The Guardian in Dolby Digital Cinema and THX.
I was a little worried when the trailers and commericals played as the screen seemed small considering I’d read here that was now a bigger screen in stalled. During the trailers the top masking was very thick as was the side masking.
However when the movie started, the screen was much bigger, with very little top masking and more screen displayed at the sides (despite this being a film presented in 1.85.1), if it had been scope I’d understand the sides seeming in wider. It seems the new screens increased size is used more for digital presentations, which I have to say looked excellent and the sound was very good.
The curtains are now working again and a good use of lights before the film started.
Only about 40 people in the cinema though.

FilmMan2006
FilmMan2006 on October 19, 2006 at 4:32 am

Only about 40 people in the cinema though.

gio
gio on October 11, 2006 at 5:56 am

I am very curious about these new custom 4-way JBL speakers installed at the Empire,anyone knows more?thanks

tjhyman
tjhyman on October 8, 2006 at 10:51 am

Do we know yet if CASINO ROYALE will be showing at the Empire or the inferior (in my opinion) Odeon Leicester Square ??

bwales
bwales on October 5, 2006 at 10:20 am

On Wednesday I went to see “World Trade Centre” at the Empire in Screen One presented in (2K) Digital Cinema.

It was the 2:15pm screening, the ticket was at £7.50 not bad for West End prices.

On entering the empty Auditorium you notice the Taps/curtains were left open and did not move at any time, as the Adverts and Trailers I only counted 30 people in a 1,300 seater Theatre!.

Through out the film you could hear at times drilling noise from a construction site below the Cinema and this is a THX approved Theatre!.

Some of the “WTC” scenes did loose a lot Black contrast and it looked like Gray scale in some of the darker scenes, most of the film looked and sounded great as well the 35mm Adverts/Trailers.

The Empire seam to lost it’s “WOW” factor these days and on my way out I asked the Ticket guy about the Curtains and was told they had broken down last Sunday and was uncertain if the owners will get them fixed sooner or later.

kevinp
kevinp on August 24, 2006 at 11:13 am

I have to say, hats off to Empire Cinemas, Bell Theatre Services ( Max and Lawrence particularly), Harman, Andre Mort and all the many others involved in what they have achieved at this truly flagship cinema:

I viewed Thunderball this morning, in Panavision, in mono, and it looked and sounded fabulous for what is essentially , a 41 year old film, recorded in Westrex Recording mono technologies of the day, printed from an internegative, and just looked amazing !

The staff were courteous and friendly, and I , like many fellow cinema/film fans would love to see this massive effort publicised more: and of course, to see Empire cinemas expand this care and expertise accross all their cinemas acquired and new.

best
Kevin P

and PS:

Empire Cinemas:please spread the word more about the earlies at the Empire !

Tomorrow is ‘The Spy Who Loved Me’

bwales
bwales on August 24, 2006 at 6:31 am

The problem there, if they only get about a handfull of people a day for these early shows, would people go to see them when you have the BFI NFT Cinema in London?.

These “early specials” never get publicised anywhere other than their website, so no wonder it is poorly supported.

I expect the Empire’s long term plan is for first run Premier openings judging their investment at this Cinema.

It would be nice to see 70mm screened at the Empire once again…..

tjhyman
tjhyman on August 23, 2006 at 1:26 pm

Why can’t the Empire show classic films like this???

Look at the line-up for the New York Ziegfield Theatre –
Unbelievable!…

Ian
Ian on August 18, 2006 at 10:00 pm

August 2006 detail of facade here:–

lclaydon
lclaydon on August 3, 2006 at 7:24 am

Since I have been asked recently, here is a definitive specification of Empire One since its two-week closure last month.

Screen Dimensions

Cinemascope: 18.38x7.62m, 85mm Schneider Cinelux Premiere aspheric variable-iris combined anamorphic lens
Widescreen: 14.95x8.06m, 52.5mm Schneider Cinelux Premiere aspheric variable iris lens
70mm: 18.04x8.23m, 100mm Schnieder Super Cinelux Lens
D-Cinema image sizes are as 35mm

Sound system

Dolby CP650 with CAT778 digital i/o card ensures all-digital signal path for 35mm and D-Cinema Screenings. DMA-8 also fitted for added flexibility, and DTS-6D retained for DTS screenings, and DFP-2000 for SDDS 8-channel screenings.
Dolby CP200/DA20/SA10/MPU-1 for premiere backup, and 70mm magnetic screenings (70mm tested and working!). CP200 modified with CAT64 EQ cards removed and linked out.

5x DBX 4800 loudspeaker management systems controlled via HiQNET take Digital Feeds from CP650, and Analogue from SDDS/CP200, and provide all crossover, EQ, time alignment and banked surround delay.

5x Crown CTs2000 amplifiers feed HF and Upper Mid sections of 5x JBL 4-way Custom ScreenArray stage loudspeakers
5x Crown CTs3000 amplifiers feed LF and Lower Mid sections of 5x JBL 4-way Custom ScreenArray stage loudspeakers
8x Crown CTs3000 amplifiers feed 16x JBL 4645C SVG Subwoofers
6x Crown CTs8200 8-channel amplifiers feed 42x JBL 8340A surround loudspeakers arranged as 22 (left/right side) delayed in four banks, 8 (left/right lower rear, concealed), 12 (left/right long-throw upper rear) delayed to match position and curvature of lower bank.

For the watt-counters,

Stage Channels (each) 5,000w (25,000w total)
Sub Bass Channels (total) 24,000w
Surround Channels (total) 10,500w

Total system power, 59,500w

The system is THX certified

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on August 1, 2006 at 12:19 pm

The current auditorium (as seen in the photo’s by Woody which I posted on March 26 2006) was originally the former balcony of the Empire (The orchestra stalls area was converted into a damce hall in 1962).

Regarding the size of the 70mm screen, I am not sure on actual size, but the cinema has just been re-furbished (June 2006) and a new larger screen has been installed. This extends 1 metre wider on each side, to what the previous screen was. It is THX certified, as is the sound system.

Unfortunately the new wider screen has mean’t the removal of some of the sets of drapes(screen curtains). The Empire used to have a house curtain and a screen curtain (both travellers), and main curtain which rose in sections.

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on August 1, 2006 at 11:54 am

From Ken Roe’s pictures this looks like it has a huge screen with a huge orchestra. Is this really the case? Though modernistic in design it reminds me of the old Times Square road show houses. If only we still had a theater like this in New York!
Anybody know the size of the 70mm screen?

sinelinden
sinelinden on July 14, 2006 at 11:14 pm

I’ll get onto finding out the upcoming classics that are going to be shown, There are some classic Bond films booked in a couple of months that I know about.

tjhyman
tjhyman on July 14, 2006 at 11:59 am

Will try and see Raiders in Screen 1.
Saw Temple of Doom there back in 1984!
If anyone knows of future classics showing at the Empire, please post here as early as possible so I can get a bunch of friends to come along!