Globe Theater

Los Angeles, CA 90014

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on September 8, 2007 at 5:51 pm

Here is a 1950 ad from the LA Times:

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on August 3, 2007 at 3:07 pm

Is that a new armored mobile theater? I think I’ll turn off the email notification for this theater too.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 28, 2007 at 10:28 am

Here is a July 2007 photo. The letters are back:

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on September 29, 2006 at 2:15 pm

Maybe you should look in the box office.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on September 29, 2006 at 2:03 pm

Here is a recent photo of the former Globe theater. It appears that the letters are still missing.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on January 22, 2006 at 4:04 pm

Maybe the letters were stolen. Investigators should look for a guy named Bo.

MagicLantern
MagicLantern on January 22, 2006 at 3:31 pm

Letters O and B on the right-hand side word GLOBE have fallen off. Not sure if they fell into the street or back behind the marquee.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on December 12, 2005 at 7:31 am

This is another photo of the former Globe Theater.

naiashashi
naiashashi on December 6, 2005 at 7:05 pm

I remember when the Orion hosted Tecknoclub on Saturday nights.. it was off the hook back then. I moved away for a couple of years and thought about going once I came back, only to find that they had closed the doors (boo-hoo)..
I haven’t been back since they’ve turned it into a “posh” nightclub, but seeing the pictures, even though they’ve made a lot of changes, has brought back some cool ass memories..
I wonder if the narrow alley is still accessible, we all used to go out there, crowded as hell, to get some air, cool off, meet up with some old friends, chill with some new, and smoke.
Now I need to dig out my old pictures, I know I have lots from this place.

PLUR,
RAH! :)

UKuser
UKuser on November 2, 2005 at 12:44 am

CALLING ALL THEATRE / MOVIE ENTHUSIASTS!!!

T'he Los Angeles Theatre' on South Broadway, LA is playing host to the UK television show ‘Dead Famous LIVE’. We are currently looking for people who would like to come along as part of the studio audience.

‘Dead Famous LIVE’ is a studio entertainment show all about Hollywood History and the paranormal. We will be welcoming celebrity guests on to the show and investigating famous locations around Hollywood which are rumoured to be haunted including the Los Angeles Theatre itself.

This is an invaluable chance to get access to the Los Angeles Theatre, the place where Charlie Chaplin’s ‘City Lights’ premiered in 1931 and to have a thoroughly great day out! (And its free!!)

We’re transmitting ‘Live’ back to the United Kingdom so expect it to be exciting and fun!

We will be filming on three days from 11th – 13th November between 11.30am – 4pm. If you are interested in coming on one or all of these days then email me for tickets!

.uk

I look forward to your responses!

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on October 14, 2005 at 4:45 am

This is a photo of the former Globe Theater as the Orion Night Club.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on September 19, 2005 at 6:12 pm

I poked around the front of the theater today. There is still no way to access the theater from the businesses out front. The entrance to the nightclub is in the alley behind the building. Perhaps the Conservancy will offer another tour in the future.

MagicLantern
MagicLantern on June 6, 2005 at 7:04 am

This theatre is now operating as Club 740. Website – with many photographs of a radically altered and cleaned-up interior – is here: http://www.740la.com/

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on April 14, 2005 at 1:15 pm

Here is an old postcard which shows part of the theatre in 1931 when it was called the President…and includes a view of Broadway.

falomir73
falomir73 on December 10, 2004 at 12:10 am

any news as to when it will open? anyone?

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on December 3, 2004 at 9:50 am

The letters spelling out “GLOBE” have been cleaned up and reinstalled.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on December 3, 2004 at 5:27 am

This theater has had four names: The Morosco, The President (in the 1930s), The Newsreel (in the 1940s, before that name was transfered to the Tower Theatre) and The Globe.

crazzypixxie
crazzypixxie on October 24, 2004 at 12:59 am

even though its no longer the globe im sure the people that love it as orion think it is just as splendiferous as it was way back when! i know i do. Im sure i will make the trek back down from my cow town in oregon again sometime- yup yup people, orion is really that fantastical.

MagicLantern
MagicLantern on June 10, 2004 at 11:52 am

I also have records of this being referred to (in 1942) as the Newsreel Theatre.

MagicLantern
MagicLantern on May 16, 2004 at 10:03 pm

The letters spelling out “Globe” have been removed from the marquee out front but the globe itself remains. Possibly the current club owners had something to do with this. Conversely, the removal of the letters makes it much easier to see “Morosco Theater” printed on the masonry directly above the marquee.

Knatcal
Knatcal on March 21, 2004 at 7:29 am

During a Los Angeles Conservancy Broadway tour in 1995 I entered this theater – actually the swap meet that then occupied the space – and I was able to see the magnificent ceiling and balcony. The swap meet remained open until a few years ago and has now been replaced by a single store front. The back area from where the ceiling and balcony could be viewed is now inaccessible to the public.

Squie
Squie on February 21, 2004 at 4:11 am

Even though the Globe Theatre is closed, it is still very much alive at the Club Orion, I wish I could have seen it a long time ago, but anyway if anyone knows of any pictures of the inside of the Globe or knows who to go to to get some pictures, please email me at !! I really am interested in the history of this building so hopefully I find out some more cool stuff about it. Thanx!! :–) U GO BUDDY BLEU!! UR AWESOME!