El Capitan Theatre

6838 Hollywood Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Giles
Giles on October 12, 2010 at 4:05 pm

well for starters Monday’s is the slowest day of the week, and two, 22 bucks for prime orchestra seats – major ouch – I thought we are still in a recession, personally I draw the line at $18.50 … tops.

dctrig
dctrig on October 12, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Folks, I attended the 9:45PM showing of “Secretariat” on Monday 10/18. I expected a smallish crowd but there were only five of us! Each performance they have a free raffle for four club house tickets to Santa Anita and I won. What an experience for $10 senior/$13 general admission. On weekends the house organist plays the Wurlitzer, which I heard at the 7PM 9/5 screening of “Tinkerbell and the Great Fairy Rescue.” (A very cute movie). I counted about 95 in the audience. The show included a live Tinkerbell and cascading confetti.

Friends, this is very scary: How can the El Capitan draw only five people when they have a magnificent sign and marquee, Disney enterprises around the world to direct tourist traffic, a revitalized traffic heavy Hollywood Blvd (“Red” was premiering across the street at the Chinese). I assume Disney employees and retirees also get admission discounts.

I for one will attend every upcoming movie at the El Capitan and urge others to do so. Wake up Angelenos-do you know what you are in danger of losing?

DonSolosan
DonSolosan on September 11, 2010 at 5:33 pm

How would you like to get a personal tour of the El Capitan while it was a work-in-progress by designer Joe Musil? Now, thanks to Matt Spero, you can. Part one of two:

You can find links to these and other theater videos on LAHTF’s YouTube channel.

William
William on June 30, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Theatre designer Joseph Musil passed away on June 29th. 2010 after a long illness, He was 74 years old.

PeeWeeValance
PeeWeeValance on June 29, 2010 at 11:35 am

Loved the theater productions when the building next door was utilized for after film shows themed to the movie playing!

monika
monika on June 1, 2010 at 8:59 pm

A May 2010 night shot I took:

Giles
Giles on May 19, 2010 at 11:21 pm

I assume the soundsystem will be upgraded to 7.1 discrete digital sound for ‘Toy Story 3’s 3D engagement?

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on April 26, 2010 at 5:10 pm

I think those might be from 1999, if you look at the last photo.

DonSolosan
DonSolosan on April 8, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Please explain how Disney is responsible for something that, from the link, appears to have happened in Michigan/Ohio? Plus that page is 5 years old!

hollywoodtheatres
hollywoodtheatres on April 6, 2010 at 12:57 am

DOCUMENTARY ON CLASSIC HOLLYWOOD CINEMAS – Lookn for interviewees, photos, videos of old hollywood

Hello,

I’m and independent filmmaker working on a documentary about old movie theatres in hollywood (Iris, Warner, Pacific, Hollywood, Vogue, Grauman’s Chinese, Egyptian etc..) that have had an impact on the hollywood community, both as a symbol of Hollywood as well as the historical and heritage effects it has had on “hollywood” as an industry. We are profiling theatres that are currently functioning as well as the obsolete. If you worked in these theatres back in the day (during their highlights) and have interesting stories to tell, photos to show, video to talk about I would like to hear from you. Many older movie houses are being demolished due to new developments and it is important to help future generation know and understand how these movie palaces have helped shaped the Hollywood we know today. If you have any photos or videos with personal stories you’d like to share, please contact me (323) 876-0975 – – You must owns the materials you are willing to share (taken the picture- recorded the videos, written the letters, etc…)

If you do have materials you’d like to send that may help in accurate information, you are welcome to send it to me.

Jorge Ameer
Classic Hollywood Cinemas
Box 3204
Hollywood, California 90028

Coate
Coate on December 7, 2009 at 12:56 am
*THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG opens December 11th @ Arclight Hollywood. This is the first time,that i can recall,that a Disney produced animated film has NOT opened at the El Capitan since it opened.*

“Mulan” (1998) opened at the Chinese.

KingBiscuits
KingBiscuits on December 6, 2009 at 11:52 pm

Well, it is playing at the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank so I guess that counts a little.

Even more surprising was that Old Dogs was not played at the El Captian (being that it was Disney’s big Thanksgiving movie). But also I was surprised that Ponyo didn’t run either (due to a long run of G-Force).

markinthedark
markinthedark on December 6, 2009 at 9:07 pm

Very surprising. They will be holding Christmas Carol for quite a while.

richjr37
richjr37 on December 6, 2009 at 1:30 pm

THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG opens December 11th @ Arclight Hollywood.

socal09
socal09 on November 21, 2009 at 11:14 pm

To Don S.’s Oct 24th question above concerning the Hollywood Playhouse: This facility now known as Avalon nightclub , was never a cinema. It opened in 1927 as a legitimate theatre and then had various incarnations as a live performance space and radio/television studio before being converted into a nightclub. Therefore, probably the reason its not listed on CT although it does appear on other sites like CinemaTour as Hollywood Playhouse.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on November 21, 2009 at 11:00 pm

Now if only more theaters were this ornate! I did take a peak at their admission prices..WHOA!

DonSolosan
DonSolosan on October 24, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Back in 2003, Harry Lime wrote about another El Capitan theater in Hollywood: “The Hollywood Playhouse (1927 – 1945), located at 1735 North Vine Street, recently The Palace and now The Avalon Theatre (a Clear Channel operation), was formerly the El Capitan, and the Jerry Lewis Theatre.”

Does this not have a page here? I’ve been searching on the various names (and checking “previous names”) and can’t seem to find it.

KingBiscuits
KingBiscuits on September 21, 2009 at 7:56 pm

They are guinea pigs, Ken.

BhillH20
BhillH20 on September 21, 2009 at 7:35 pm

They didn’t give any credit to theater architect G. Albert Lansburgh!

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on September 1, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Nice theatre, but WAY WAY WAY too expensive to get decent seating. Also, the screen is not big enough for 2:35 aspect ratio (I distinctly remember seeing major cropping for “Narnia – Prince Caspian” the last time I was here).

But the showy stuff (the decor, the pre-show) is unbeatable and that’s how the place consistentliy packs them in.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on August 29, 2009 at 6:28 pm

I like my hamster photo better.

segask
segask on August 23, 2009 at 11:05 pm

does this theater have a new owner now, or is it still up for sale?

raybradley