El Capitan Theatre

6838 Hollywood Boulevard,
Hollywood,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Giles
Giles on May 19, 2010 at 9:21 pm

I assume the soundsystem will be upgraded to 7.1 discrete digital sound for ‘Toy Story 3’s 3D engagement?

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on April 26, 2010 at 3:10 pm

I think those might be from 1999, if you look at the last photo.

DonSolosan
DonSolosan on April 8, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Please explain how Disney is responsible for something that, from the link, appears to have happened in Michigan/Ohio? Plus that page is 5 years old!

hollywoodtheatres
hollywoodtheatres on April 5, 2010 at 10:57 pm

DOCUMENTARY ON CLASSIC HOLLYWOOD CINEMAS – Lookn for interviewees, photos, videos of old hollywood

Hello,

I’m and independent filmmaker working on a documentary about old movie theatres in hollywood (Iris, Warner, Pacific, Hollywood, Vogue, Grauman’s Chinese, Egyptian etc..) that have had an impact on the hollywood community, both as a symbol of Hollywood as well as the historical and heritage effects it has had on “hollywood” as an industry. We are profiling theatres that are currently functioning as well as the obsolete. If you worked in these theatres back in the day (during their highlights) and have interesting stories to tell, photos to show, video to talk about I would like to hear from you. Many older movie houses are being demolished due to new developments and it is important to help future generation know and understand how these movie palaces have helped shaped the Hollywood we know today. If you have any photos or videos with personal stories you’d like to share, please contact me (323) 876-0975 – – You must owns the materials you are willing to share (taken the picture- recorded the videos, written the letters, etc…)

If you do have materials you’d like to send that may help in accurate information, you are welcome to send it to me.

Jorge Ameer
Classic Hollywood Cinemas
Box 3204
Hollywood, California 90028

Coate
Coate on December 6, 2009 at 10:56 pm
*THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG opens December 11th @ Arclight Hollywood. This is the first time,that i can recall,that a Disney produced animated film has NOT opened at the El Capitan since it opened.*

“Mulan” (1998) opened at the Chinese.

KingBiscuits
KingBiscuits on December 6, 2009 at 9:52 pm

Well, it is playing at the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank so I guess that counts a little.

Even more surprising was that Old Dogs was not played at the El Captian (being that it was Disney’s big Thanksgiving movie). But also I was surprised that Ponyo didn’t run either (due to a long run of G-Force).

markinthedark
markinthedark on December 6, 2009 at 7:07 pm

Very surprising. They will be holding Christmas Carol for quite a while.

richjr37
richjr37 on December 6, 2009 at 11:30 am

THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG opens December 11th @ Arclight Hollywood.

socal09
socal09 on November 21, 2009 at 9:14 pm

To Don S.’s Oct 24th question above concerning the Hollywood Playhouse: This facility now known as Avalon nightclub , was never a cinema. It opened in 1927 as a legitimate theatre and then had various incarnations as a live performance space and radio/television studio before being converted into a nightclub. Therefore, probably the reason its not listed on CT although it does appear on other sites like CinemaTour as Hollywood Playhouse.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on November 21, 2009 at 9:00 pm

Now if only more theaters were this ornate! I did take a peak at their admission prices..WHOA!

DonSolosan
DonSolosan on October 24, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Back in 2003, Harry Lime wrote about another El Capitan theater in Hollywood: “The Hollywood Playhouse (1927 – 1945), located at 1735 North Vine Street, recently The Palace and now The Avalon Theatre (a Clear Channel operation), was formerly the El Capitan, and the Jerry Lewis Theatre.”

Does this not have a page here? I’ve been searching on the various names (and checking “previous names”) and can’t seem to find it.

KingBiscuits
KingBiscuits on September 21, 2009 at 5:56 pm

They are guinea pigs, Ken.

BhillH20
BhillH20 on September 21, 2009 at 5:35 pm

They didn’t give any credit to theater architect G. Albert Lansburgh!

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on September 1, 2009 at 1:49 pm

Nice theatre, but WAY WAY WAY too expensive to get decent seating. Also, the screen is not big enough for 2:35 aspect ratio (I distinctly remember seeing major cropping for “Narnia – Prince Caspian” the last time I was here).

But the showy stuff (the decor, the pre-show) is unbeatable and that’s how the place consistentliy packs them in.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on August 29, 2009 at 4:28 pm

I like my hamster photo better.

segask
segask on August 23, 2009 at 9:05 pm

does this theater have a new owner now, or is it still up for sale?

raybradley
raybradley on July 27, 2009 at 4:52 pm

Sharp 1991 color night shot from LIFE,

bonbon
bonbon on July 8, 2009 at 11:10 pm

I was at on the top floor at Hollywood & Highland today and I’m curious as to who the people are in the reliefs at the top of the building. Sorry if I overlooked this information if it has been previously mentioned.

igoudge
igoudge on June 28, 2009 at 10:47 am

the booth would have been amazing to have seen for sure sooooo jealous ;–)

Tim Garrison
Tim Garrison on June 28, 2009 at 1:39 am

My first experience with this theater was this month seeing Pixar’s “UP”. And it was easily the most amazing theater experience I ever had. I was taken on a tour of the theater, got to go in the projection room. I loved their Wall of Fame showcasing all the premieres the theater had hosted. The organ performance, the curtain show, the live stage performance…almost brought me to tears it was such an experience. Greatest theater I’ve ever stepped foot in. And they turn the house around in less than 20 minutes. Insanity. Here’s a picture of the marquee from June 2nd, 2009 for “Up”

igoudge
igoudge on June 26, 2009 at 1:27 pm

First time to LA and I was able to catch the Nightmare before Christmas here in 3d totally awesome and the condition of the theatre is amazing, a virtual palace of Hollywoods yesteryear.

Patsy
Patsy on May 9, 2009 at 6:48 am

Joe: Quite the interior photo! Thanks. BTW……in a book entitled Lucy A to Z by Michael Karol there is mention of this theatre on page 114.

“This is the Hollywood Boulevard theater in which Desi Arnaz and his band played for Bob Hope’s radio show in 1947.”

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on April 25, 2009 at 11:28 pm

Ken, you are right and USC is wrong. Those three pictures do depict the Downtown Paramount.

This is the El Capitan’s auditorium.