National Twin

1500 Broadway,
New York, NY 10036

RobertR on October 4, 2006 at 10:44 am

1975 meet Flesh Gordon

longislandmovies on July 26, 2006 at 9:27 pm

i think thats a good idea ed .even function could read ,studio…

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on July 26, 2006 at 8:26 pm

I was thinking that there ought to be a new status for theaters where the interior has been completely gutted but the exterior structure remains. Say “Closed/Gutted” as opposed to “Closed/Demolished”. I’m thinking more of free standing theater buildings such as the old Roosevelt/Quartet in Flushing, NY where the interior was ripped out down to the bare brick walls and beams while the exterior (in some cases along with facade ornamentation) still exists. I suppose it could also be extended to office building theaters such as the National and the old Paramount across the street. While in both cases all traces of the old theaters have been completely erased, the structures that housed them are still standing and can be visited by CT members. This would allow further distinction between former theaters that have no interior traces of ornamentation or design and those that do retain some interior elements and have been adapted for re-use.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I think this information would be useful to the membership – particularly those like myself who like to visit and possibly photograph former theater sites.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on July 26, 2006 at 8:09 pm

Yup. From the gutted interior, anyway. And now that undulating mutli-tiered news ticker wraps around the facade at balcony height. Remember the big National marquee that had that sine-wave shaped string of lights rising above it? I remember Dick Clark hosted at least one of his “Rocking New Year’s Eve” TV shows from on top of that Marquee in the early ‘80’s. The National also had one of those TV monitor stands under the canopy entrance that would show a trailer for the current attraction on a seemingly endless loop. A number of theaters in the Times Square area featured the same advertising gimmick.

longislandmovies on July 26, 2006 at 7:42 pm

BobT on May 9, 2006 at 8:46 pm

To anyone interested, 20th century Fox just released a great 2 disc special edition of “The Posiedon Adventure” which is the film that opened this theatre. Highly reccomended with lots of extras and a bonus of an envelope with a full set of miniature lobby cards, too cool. On the extra disc is a stills gallery and they show the original huge marquee as well as a temporary marquee that was up during construction touting the grand opening and upcoming Posiedon.

ScottMullen on December 18, 2005 at 7:15 pm

I managed the National for about 18 months in the early 1990s. Some b-movies made a lot of money there; I remember Warlock making about $43,000 opening weekend.

We had the premiere of Jungle Fever there, and I got Stephen King’s autograph when he came to see Darkman.

It was a shame when they closed it down.

RobertR on October 23, 2005 at 11:20 am

Fox touted “Towering Inferno” here in its 1974 holiday block ad

BobT on September 28, 2005 at 10:53 am

I remember visiting this theatre while it was still under construction but the signage for “The Poseidon Adventure” was already up. If I remember right, the huge marquee on the North and South side were panels and the ship would be upside down when the panels flipped. It also stated “Combining the talents of fifteen Academy Award Winners” which I thought was neat to see on a marquee. In ‘87 I went to the premiere of “Who’s That Girl?”. Madonna at the time was the biggest star in the world and they actually constructed a stage in Times Sq. and closed traffic so she could appear. After her appearance which we could see from the big windows in the upstairs lobby, she came up and we saw the picture. I don’t think NYC has done anything that big for a film since. Shame they tore it down for that hideous looking thing they call the ABC studio. I passed daily as they built that too, with those awful curvy motion signs.

moviesmovies on July 14, 2005 at 11:07 pm

Saw Pacino in ‘Cruising’ here.

djandy622 on June 27, 2005 at 11:12 am

I been to the National many times when I was a kid in the 70’s, the last time I was there was 1995 to see “The Money Train”

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on June 4, 2005 at 6:59 pm

The landlord of the National had been trying to buy Cineplex Odeon out of the lease for years and Cineplex resisted as it wanted the Times Square presence. The Worldwide was unable to replace it as it was always unprofitable and attempts to triple the site (mentioned above) were aborted when the landlord refused to allow it at the last minute.

The National lobby was the best place to see the New Year in, a Cineplex Odeon yearly private party.

chconnol on June 3, 2005 at 4:19 pm

There is a very, very good shot of this theater in the book “New York, Then and Now” taken around 1974. You can see the huge marquee. The theater was playing “The Towering Inferno”. Also, on another page, there is a shot of the DeMille. You have to look very, very carefully for it because it’s all the way on the bottom right of the page. This book is in virtually every bookstore I got to in NY.

Ron Newman
Ron Newman on April 1, 2005 at 4:25 pm

If this is still a television studio, the “Function” should be changed to reflect that.

dave-bronx™ on April 1, 2005 at 4:02 pm

no, the lease was up and ABC wanted the space.

hardbop on April 1, 2005 at 2:03 pm

I think the National was the first of the Times Square cinemas to close with the advent of the AMC & Sony E-Walk ‘plexes. It closed even before the E-Walk and AMC 'plexes opened. The owners no doubt saw the hand-writing on the wall. Last time I can remember being at the National was '96 to see the sole film Tom Hanks directed, the bland “That Thing You Do.”

jays on February 20, 2005 at 1:34 pm

thanks Don Rosen for the photo I enjoyed the memories.

DonRosen on February 19, 2005 at 4:41 pm

I have a photo of the National Twin exterior. If some wants to post it, I’ll e-mail it to you.

jays on February 9, 2005 at 11:33 pm

My e-mail adress Don is

Mikeoaklandpark on February 1, 2005 at 8:27 am

Would you also e mail me the pic.

DonRosen on February 1, 2005 at 8:19 am

I have a number of exterior shots of the National Twin. Titles on the marquee: Buffy: the Vampire Slayer; Unlawful Entry; Twins; Home Alone. What is your e-mail address?

jays on January 17, 2005 at 3:31 am

DOn can you e-mail me some photos of the national primarily if you got an interior photo of theattre 2

DonRosen on December 27, 2004 at 1:33 pm

I have quite a few photos of the National. If I can figure how to post ‘em, I will.

longislandmovies on September 21, 2004 at 11:47 pm

The exterior of the NATIONAL is in many movies ,will post the names as i find them..

longislandmovies on September 21, 2004 at 11:46 pm

I dont have any pics of this theater (never took pics stupid now that i think about it)