Wiltern Theater

3790 Wilshire Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90010

BobAlder
BobAlder on October 5, 2007 at 11:16 am

I was involved with the restoration of the big Kimball ppe organ in the early 60s. Here’s some photos of that era

rrussell007
rrussell007 on August 23, 2007 at 9:23 am

That’s the Wiltern for sure, thanks much!!

rrussell007
rrussell007 on August 22, 2007 at 2:52 pm

I remember my first time setting foot inside the Wiltern Theater. It was in the summer of 1972, at a sound check for “Little Richard”. I was playing drums for Richard and the Wiltern Theater was my first big gig with the King. The sound in the theater was air tight and the feel of the room was warm and vibrant. I remember sitting in the balcony looking down at the stage while the instruments were being set up. As I sat there, relaxed and in a dream like state of mind, I could only imagine how the audience would respond when we hit the stage. I have also attened many concerts at the Wiltern Theater and each show has been spectular. I have nothing but good memories when I think of the Wiltern Theater, long live the Wiltern!

My website: home.earthlink.net/~rrussell007/

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 28, 2007 at 2:35 pm

Here are some photos I took while making a left turn onto Western. Don’t try this at home, kids:

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on May 25, 2007 at 5:09 pm

Sam Hall Kaplan reported the imminent demise of the Wiltern on 4/15/79. How close was this theater to becoming a parking lot?

PERMIT SOUGHT FOR DEMOLITION
Landmark Theater in Jeopardy

A beneficent buyer is needed to save the historic Wiltern Theater from becoming just another vacant lot on Wilshire Blvd. with a forsaken “for sale” sign on it.

femmeshui
femmeshui on May 14, 2007 at 1:23 pm

This was also the theater used in the 1980’s flick ‘Get Crazy’, one of the greatest New Years films ever and a good dcumentation of the theaters interior at the time, lots of shots of the lobby and the empty auditorium. At the films end there’s a great shot of the freestanding ticket booth with the ticket girl passed out inside of it as the crowd runs out of the lobby. It was mentioned earlier that ‘Streets of Fire’ was filmed here, but I’m fairly certain SOF was filmed at the El Ray, also on Wilshire.

Bway
Bway on February 7, 2007 at 10:35 am

I went by the place the other day, and it looked great all lit up at night. I believe the marquee said Incubus was coming to performe there, but it was going to be after I left town. I may have been tempted to buy tickets if I was going to be in the area that night.

Bway
Bway on February 7, 2007 at 10:35 am

haineshisway
haineshisway on October 19, 2006 at 5:09 pm

I understand – it just irks me every time I see it – I grew up going to the Wiltern, almost every week of my childhood.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on October 19, 2006 at 2:32 pm

I understand your point, but it does make it more interesting to see the progression from yesterday to today. This is especially important when you consider how many places like the Wiltern are now parking lots.

haineshisway
haineshisway on October 19, 2006 at 12:30 pm

Wonderful, but we like views when it was a MOVIE THEATER, not this horrid rock/concert house with no seats

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on October 14, 2006 at 11:00 am

Here are two photos from the 1920s via the USC archive:

haineshisway
haineshisway on October 7, 2006 at 11:59 am

If you look to the right of the 1956 photo, you’ll see Yaekel (sp?) Brothers Oldsmobile where they used to broadcast Rocket To Stardom from and where they did live commercials all through the 50s and 60s.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on October 7, 2006 at 11:32 am

Here is a 1938 photo from the LA Library. A dime to park all day isn’t a bad deal:

haineshisway
haineshisway on July 17, 2006 at 2:54 pm

I spent a good deal of my childhood at the Wiltern, going regularly from the mid-50s until the late 60s – see my post above for details about its decline. One of my all-time favorite movie theaters.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 17, 2006 at 2:51 pm

I wasn’t around here then, so I will defer to your opinion.

haineshisway
haineshisway on July 17, 2006 at 2:50 pm

The theater was not a little down – it was still very nice at that point. Three or four years from then it would start to look a little dowdy, both inside and out.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 17, 2006 at 2:41 pm

This photo is from the 1960s. The Melody Lane drive-in across the street has been replaced by an office building, taking some of the focus away from the Wiltern. The theater is pre-renovation and looks a little down. The movie is “The Carpetbaggers”:

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 14, 2006 at 3:16 pm

Here is a panoramic photo from 1948:

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 14, 2006 at 2:51 pm

I thought this 1939 photo was interesting as it shows some adjacent Art Deco structures: