Trylon Theater

98-81 Queens Boulevard,
Rego Park, NY 11374

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on January 12, 2008 at 5:08 pm

Those are some large dwellings behind the Trylon. Are they anything significant?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on November 3, 2007 at 5:02 pm

My copy of this Marquee (2nd Q 2007)arrived in today’s mail.

SchineHistorian
SchineHistorian on November 3, 2007 at 4:46 pm

That issue was mailed from Elmhurst on 10/20. Bulk mail might be cheap, but it’s “expensive” in other ways. Drop me a line at and we can talk more about this.

SchineHistorian
SchineHistorian on November 3, 2007 at 3:02 am

Which gives me a chance to reiterate that if anyone else is interested in a copy of the latest Marquee magazine, just go to www.historictheatres.org and order one for yourself! The issue also includes a great article on projection methods over the years and a piece on the home museum of the late Jim Foley of Syracuse NY. (Shameless THS promotion – yeah i know!)

: )

PKoch
PKoch on November 2, 2007 at 9:34 pm

It depends on how much you care about the Trylon, but, it’s academic, now that you have your answer.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on November 2, 2007 at 9:32 pm

I think what you are saying is that I should have spent the time sifting through all of this for the sake of the Trylon, an assertion I disagree with. It’s a confusing stew of posts reporting that demolition had begun, but that they fight was not over. And no, the post above did not answer my question.

At any rate, the whole reason I got back on here was to mention that a great article on the Trylon appeared in the latest Marquee magazine from THS. The Marquee article answered my question very quickly:

The project was finished, the Jewish center is now open, most of the interior was destroyed, and the “Friends” group is still trying to get the exterior landmarked.

PKoch
PKoch on October 5, 2007 at 3:37 pm

“Life’s too short” to spend half an hour reading this page, for the Trylon’s sake ? I think you’re in too much of a hurry.

Hope you got your answer.

SchineHistorian
SchineHistorian on October 5, 2007 at 3:59 am

That post is from May 3, 2006 if you want to look up the whole post.

SchineHistorian
SchineHistorian on October 5, 2007 at 3:57 am

THIS IS EXCEPTED FROM A PREVIOUS POST BY NATIVE FOREST HILLER:

… CM Katz’s flip-flop of decisions is particularly disturbing in the Trylon case, since she opposed landmarking, then publicly stated her support, and then said she never felt it was suitable. She made no effort to encourage the LPC to calendar it. LPC won’t act without strong political support.She has the power, since she’s the Chair of Land Use. How can an elected official choose to suit her own interests, and mislead her constituents rather than serve them?

The Committee To Save The Trylon Theater & the community communicated. It was Melinda Katz who failed (to meet after promising, respond to letters, etc)! The effort isn’t over. Will her lack of intervention in this scenario be an obstacle in other neighborhood preservation efforts? Let’s continue to bond together for the benefit of the community, and not let this happen. “Power to the people!!!!!” ……

HOPE THIS SHEDS SOME LIGHT. YOU MIGHT NOT WANT TO SEE WHAT IT’S SHINING ON, BUT THIS IS THE SAD TRUTH.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on October 5, 2007 at 3:37 am

It would take at least half an hour, for God’s sake. I started reading it and didn’t find my answer. I thought one of you people in the know might write a couple of sentences to fill me in. Instead you wrote a couple of sentences giving me attitude.

That’s pretty weak.

SchineHistorian
SchineHistorian on October 4, 2007 at 8:07 pm

My thoughts exactly PKoch – let her constituents fill in those blanks! Not for me to say. :X Ditto on the current status.

PKoch
PKoch on October 4, 2007 at 7:43 pm

Mikeoaklandpark, rather than confuse you further, I suggest you read all of this theater’s page and, if that does not answer your question, I leave it to “NativeForestHiller” to do so.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on October 4, 2007 at 6:40 pm

Whi is Melinda Katz and what does she have to do with this theatre?

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on October 4, 2007 at 6:25 pm

I don’t have a clear idea of what happened here. Did they finish converting the theatre into another use, or is it still sitting there?

PKoch
PKoch on October 4, 2007 at 5:17 pm

All too true !

SchineHistorian
SchineHistorian on October 4, 2007 at 5:08 pm

See? No matter how bad, there is always something worse! : D

PKoch
PKoch on October 4, 2007 at 5:00 pm

Better than Roseanne Barr grabbing her crotch and spitting on the ground !

SchineHistorian
SchineHistorian on October 4, 2007 at 4:58 pm

Hmmm…. yes. Isn’t it ironic…. : (

br91975
br91975 on October 4, 2007 at 4:24 pm

All I could think from my Upper Reserved box seat at Shea Stadium last Sunday, while the Mets completed the implosion of their season, was how ironically appropriate it was that Melinda Katz, of all people, was chosen to sing ‘God Bless America’ during the 7th Inning Stretch…

PKoch
PKoch on August 21, 2007 at 7:27 pm

Thanks, EdSolero and SchineHistorian !

SchineHistorian
SchineHistorian on August 21, 2007 at 6:06 pm

The next issue of Theatre Historical Society’s quarterly journal MARQUEE will have a piece on the Trylon, written by Trylon advocate Michael Perlman. Copies can be ordered by non members at www.historictheatres.org or better yet JOIN and get them delivered automatically to your mailbox!

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on August 21, 2007 at 5:46 pm

Just to follow up on Warren’s July 12th response to Queens Logic’s comments, the interior of the Trylon remained pretty much as it was on opening day – normal wear-and-tear notwithstanding – right up until the day it closed.

PKoch
PKoch on August 17, 2007 at 10:04 pm

Thanks for posting this, Warren. I enjoyed looking at it.

almcgrath
almcgrath on July 12, 2007 at 8:22 am

I remember going to the movies with my friends at the Trylon in the early 1980’s when I was in high school. What’s the latest on the preservation efforts? Was the interior of the Trylon still art deco-ish by the 1980’s or was it modernized by then? I don’t remember it being art deco at all, is why I ask. If it was modernized, is it just a matter of removing drop ceilings and revealing original ceiling, and removing old paint to reveal original paint, or was it completely destroyed inside when renovated, and nothing left intact?

uncleal923
uncleal923 on June 4, 2007 at 4:55 pm

Can the Trylon still be restored?