Trylon Theater

98-81 Queens Boulevard,
Rego Park, NY 11374

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on October 28, 2008 at 10:56 pm

I happened to be driving by the former Trylon this soggy morning and snapped the following low res – and rather sad -image of what has become of the old theater facade since the current owners completed their renovations:

OHR NATAN

I snapped a couple of other close up images, but my photobucket acct isn’t letting me complete their uploads at the moment. I’ll get back here once I’ve been able to fix that problem.

Funny… while I stopped to grab the photos (which took me all of 3 or 4 minutes) a young man wearing a yamulka and carrying a back-pack snapped a photo of my license plate and another of me standing in the street as I was finishing up. I gave him a nice wave “hello.” He never said a word to me. Just shook his head as if in disgust and walked away. I wonder what was going through his mind…. that I was plotting some sort of nefarious scheme against the center?

FormerFlixGuy
FormerFlixGuy on April 30, 2008 at 5:26 pm

I’m surprised this theatre isn’t listed as the Loews Trylon. I will remember it as such from my time at Loews. This tiny gem being managed by the incomperable Gene Thompson and Loews legend Julia Albanese of Loews Gates fame.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on March 18, 2008 at 9:24 am

The Queens section of today’s NY Daily News has a photo taken in 2005 that’s similar to the one in the introduction above dated 2002. Is the Trylon’s marquee still in that same extremely damaged condition, or have repairs been made? One would think that the present tenant would not want such an ugly and probably dangerous condtion to exist.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on January 12, 2008 at 12:41 pm

According to the article by Ron Marzlock that accompanied the photo in Queens Chronicle: “The entire block on Queens Boulevard bounded by 66th Avenue and 66th Road was owned by the Thornton Ridge Development Company. The firm patiently held this and many other properties on the north side of Rego Park during the Depression. When the IND subway was built along Queens Boulevard, Thornton Ridge built the large apartment house development on the next block called Queens Gardens, seen in the background of this photograph. By 1940 they sold off more property to build stores for the new apartment house complex. A movie theater called the Trylon was built. The rest of the block was sold to the 99 Street Development Company, which put up stores.”

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on January 12, 2008 at 12:08 pm

Those are some large dwellings behind the Trylon. Are they anything significant?

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on January 12, 2008 at 11:10 am

Here’s a 1942 view of Queens Boulevard between 66th Avenue and 66th Road that I copied from this week’s Queens Chronicle. The Trylon was showing “Panama Hattie” & “Brooklyn Orchid,” a double bill that had originated on the Loew’s circuit about a month before. The building in the lower right corner was a restaurant that later became a bank and is now back to being a restaurant. Perhaps one day the Trylon will revert to its original purpose:
www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/trylon42.jpg

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on November 3, 2007 at 4:29 pm

I complained too soon. Sorry! My copy arrived this afternoon, but I haven’t had time to read it yet.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on November 3, 2007 at 1:02 pm

My copy of this Marquee (2nd Q 2007)arrived in today’s mail.

SchineHistorian
SchineHistorian on November 3, 2007 at 12:46 pm

That issue was mailed from Elmhurst on 10/20. Bulk mail might be cheap, but it’s “expensive” in other ways. Drop me a line at and we can talk more about this.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on November 3, 2007 at 10:45 am

Although I’m a member of Theatre Historical Society of America, I’ve yet to receive the issue of Marquee with the Trylon article. I hope that it didn’t get lost in the mails.

SchineHistorian
SchineHistorian on November 2, 2007 at 11:02 pm

Which gives me a chance to reiterate that if anyone else is interested in a copy of the latest Marquee magazine, just go to www.historictheatres.org and order one for yourself! The issue also includes a great article on projection methods over the years and a piece on the home museum of the late Jim Foley of Syracuse NY. (Shameless THS promotion – yeah i know!)

: )

PKoch
PKoch on November 2, 2007 at 5:34 pm

It depends on how much you care about the Trylon, but, it’s academic, now that you have your answer.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on November 2, 2007 at 5:32 pm

I think what you are saying is that I should have spent the time sifting through all of this for the sake of the Trylon, an assertion I disagree with. It’s a confusing stew of posts reporting that demolition had begun, but that they fight was not over. And no, the post above did not answer my question.

At any rate, the whole reason I got back on here was to mention that a great article on the Trylon appeared in the latest Marquee magazine from THS. The Marquee article answered my question very quickly:

The project was finished, the Jewish center is now open, most of the interior was destroyed, and the “Friends” group is still trying to get the exterior landmarked.

PKoch
PKoch on October 5, 2007 at 10:37 am

“Life’s too short” to spend half an hour reading this page, for the Trylon’s sake ? I think you’re in too much of a hurry.

Hope you got your answer.

SchineHistorian
SchineHistorian on October 4, 2007 at 10:59 pm

That post is from May 3, 2006 if you want to look up the whole post.

SchineHistorian
SchineHistorian on October 4, 2007 at 10:57 pm

THIS IS EXCEPTED FROM A PREVIOUS POST BY NATIVE FOREST HILLER:

… CM Katz’s flip-flop of decisions is particularly disturbing in the Trylon case, since she opposed landmarking, then publicly stated her support, and then said she never felt it was suitable. She made no effort to encourage the LPC to calendar it. LPC won’t act without strong political support.She has the power, since she’s the Chair of Land Use. How can an elected official choose to suit her own interests, and mislead her constituents rather than serve them?

The Committee To Save The Trylon Theater & the community communicated. It was Melinda Katz who failed (to meet after promising, respond to letters, etc)! The effort isn’t over. Will her lack of intervention in this scenario be an obstacle in other neighborhood preservation efforts? Let’s continue to bond together for the benefit of the community, and not let this happen. “Power to the people!!!!!” ……

HOPE THIS SHEDS SOME LIGHT. YOU MIGHT NOT WANT TO SEE WHAT IT’S SHINING ON, BUT THIS IS THE SAD TRUTH.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on October 4, 2007 at 10:37 pm

It would take at least half an hour, for God’s sake. I started reading it and didn’t find my answer. I thought one of you people in the know might write a couple of sentences to fill me in. Instead you wrote a couple of sentences giving me attitude.

That’s pretty weak.

SchineHistorian
SchineHistorian on October 4, 2007 at 3:07 pm

My thoughts exactly PKoch – let her constituents fill in those blanks! Not for me to say. :X Ditto on the current status.

PKoch
PKoch on October 4, 2007 at 2:43 pm

Mikeoaklandpark, rather than confuse you further, I suggest you read all of this theater’s page and, if that does not answer your question, I leave it to “NativeForestHiller” to do so.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on October 4, 2007 at 1:40 pm

Whi is Melinda Katz and what does she have to do with this theatre?

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on October 4, 2007 at 1:25 pm

I don’t have a clear idea of what happened here. Did they finish converting the theatre into another use, or is it still sitting there?

SchineHistorian
SchineHistorian on October 4, 2007 at 12:08 pm

See? No matter how bad, there is always something worse! : D

PKoch
PKoch on October 4, 2007 at 12:00 pm

Better than Roseanne Barr grabbing her crotch and spitting on the ground !

SchineHistorian