Tivoli Theatre

110 James Street North,
Hamilton, ON L8R

hamiltonmark
hamiltonmark on October 8, 2005 at 7:15 am

Nothing has change from the outside since they demolished the front section. When they were tearing down the front section, I managed to see inside the back stage doors which were open. The gentlemen that was inside clearing out the balance of his stage equipment (using flashlights)said time will only tell it’s fate. With no heat or hydro in the auditotium, winter my seal it,s future of another lost theatre of Hamilton’s past.

mrchangeover
mrchangeover on October 8, 2005 at 6:00 am

I was in Hamilton over the summer and took some photo’s of the demolished front part and the auditorium which was still standing.
Is it still like this?
If anyone wants a picture let me know and I will e mail it to you.

hamiltonmark
hamiltonmark on October 7, 2005 at 8:21 pm

Has anyone heard any new of what is going on with what is left of the Tivoli(Auditorium)?

hamiltonmark
hamiltonmark on February 22, 2005 at 3:18 pm

The Tivoli theatre made the top 10 list of the most endangered heritage properties in Canada which was is listed by Heritage Canada Founadion. The auditorium, which was saved by the wreaking ball was saved under the Heritage Act for six months while the front section was torn down. This protection lasted for six months and now unless someone can buy the theatre including the cost of demolishing the front section, Hamilton will say goodbye to the last working theatre still standing in Hamilton. The Century is still standing but it is very unlikly it will ever be a theatre again. mark

mrchangeover
mrchangeover on December 10, 2004 at 1:17 pm

The Tivoli theatre opened in 1908 in the carriage factory which was built in 1875. When the Princess Theatre, part of the same site, was closed in 1923 it became part of the lobby of the Tivoli. The front of the Tivoli today is the old front of the carriage factory.
This information comes from an August 20/2004 report from the city’s Planning and Development Dept.

hamiltonmark
hamiltonmark on November 3, 2004 at 8:26 am

wHAT IS LEFT OF THE FRONT PORTION

What is left of the front portion of the Tivoli theatre is set to be demolished november 4. there is nothing left of any historic value . The former Princess theatre and main auditorium portion will not be touched. New owners are still be looked for. Utilities are also to be reconected to the remaining two sections.

Misfit
Misfit on October 26, 2004 at 11:04 pm

Thanks, I will. You have been given proper credit in the paper, I’ll add more later when I’ve recovered from this research.

mrcinema
mrcinema on October 26, 2004 at 5:45 pm

Your welcome Misfit. Make sure you add my name under the photo of the Tivoli. All the best on your research paper, let me know how it turns out.

Misfit
Misfit on October 25, 2004 at 5:45 pm

Thanks a lot! This is really helpful; as its the only recent photo I’ve been able to find.

mrcinema
mrcinema on October 25, 2004 at 1:04 pm

Hi Misfit, Sure you can use my picture of the Tivoli.
I wish I could email you some more photos of the Tivoli but right now I have them locked away for safe keeping. :–)

Misfit
Misfit on October 23, 2004 at 11:13 pm

Hi I am currently doing a research paper on the Tivoli Theatre, and I was wondering if I could use the photo by Chad Irish. Please let me know, thanks.

hamiltonmark
hamiltonmark on October 20, 2004 at 11:49 pm

You are correct Warren. I am not sure how to submit information to change this site and to change the status from open to closed. Mark

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on October 20, 2004 at 10:48 am

Isn’t this simply Tivoli Theatre, and not The Tivoli Theatre?

hamiltonmark
hamiltonmark on October 20, 2004 at 10:27 am

180 Days. A permit to demolish what is left of the Tivoli theatre (The lobby which was the original Princess theatre and the auditorium) is expected to be denied to the Sniderman family. This gives any groups interested in saving the last theare of it’s kind in Hamilton some time to buy the theatre. A new entrance would have to be build since the front portion was demolished as was stated in my previous comments. Let’s hope this happens.

mrcinema
mrcinema on October 20, 2004 at 12:33 am

You can cheak out some pictures of what the old Tivoli used to look inside back in the 1940’s. Just click the link…

hamiltonmark
hamiltonmark on September 25, 2004 at 2:59 pm

In August of 2004, a section of the wall of the main entrance (Proonguey) collapes. Under inspection by the city it was found that the sign and all the working lights was pulling away from the building (which was taken down and it’s where abouts is unknown at this time) and that the building was unsafe. The City demolished the Pronnguey block stating it could not be saved. The princess portion and the main auditorium remain standing but their condition are unknown. Unfortunatly the City only designated the Prognuey block under the HERITAGE ACT because under city listings the main auditorium has a separate adress and is not protected. (what a oversight that was) The Sniderman family have applied for a permit to tear down what is left ( Princess addition and main auditorium) unless someone is willing to take over the theatre which the city cannot afford to do. The city is also planning to send the Sniderman family the bill to date as was reported in the Hamilton Spectator.

ChadIrish
ChadIrish on October 22, 2002 at 1:43 pm

Go check out The Tivoli Theatre Web Site @ http://www.tivolitheatre.ca
There is more information about the Tivoli on there web site.