Cineplex Cinemas Yonge-Dundas

10 Dundas Street East,
Toronto, ON M5B 2G9

robboehm on July 15, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Yes, I thought there was an entry for it. I’ll contact the folks at CT and see if they can find it. If one was lost ……

William Mewes
William Mewes on July 15, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I think there was an entry for the “Market Square Cinemas” which was originaly the “Ciniplex Odeon Market Square” but some how it disapeared.

PS I am the same person as scruffywilber. I forgot my password and closed my eMail account so I came back under my real name.

robboehm on July 15, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Scruffy, you mention the Market Square Rainbow Cinemas above. It’s not on CT. Maybe you could add it. On one of my trips to Toronto I was actually in it.

Jon Lidolt
Jon Lidolt on November 6, 2010 at 3:00 pm

The AMC now has an IMAX auditorium. I saw the3-D IMAX short film about the Space Station on their new screen and was impressed by what I saw and heard. Too bad the Hollywood features converted into the IMAX format aren’t composed specifically for this type of presentation in order to maximize the effect.

qwo06 on October 16, 2010 at 7:29 am

The theater will have both ETX & digital Imax, it says on their website.

igoudge on October 1, 2010 at 2:29 am

Its a case that it will stay the same (ETX), again if they retrofit any of the theatres it will be 6, 9 or 10 on the main floor or one of the one is the centre lobby on the top, but it will be tricky again since from my understanding for 70 mm the auditorium needs to meet certain specifications for seating as well for screen side and sound which is why it is easier to start from scratch such as the ones Famous has made for Colliseum, Scotiabank and Collosus. Since AMC are already existing houses and have limted room makes more sense to convert to etx rather than imax.

Jon Lidolt
Jon Lidolt on October 1, 2010 at 2:25 am

I wonder if the AMC’s ETX auditorium will be the one they retrofit for IMAX? If it is the same one, I certainly hope they eliminate the one row of seats in the middle of the auditorium where you can’t see over people’s heads. The two rows of seats are on the same level. So much for stadium seating throughout the entire complex. It’s got to be very annoying when paying a premium price for ETX and you can’t see the bottom half of the screen if you get stuck sitting in that row.

As an aside… the Scotiabank’s Imax auditorium screens 35 mm films that are blownup to large format 70mm stock. I suspect that all Imax theatres screening Hollywood features will soon be converted to digital projection technology. The cost of 70mm film prints (especially for 3-D since it requires two prints, one for the left and one for the right eye) is incredibly expensive.

igoudge on September 30, 2010 at 9:12 pm

It is not going to be a True Imax screen, just a retrofitted auditorium akin to the ETX to better compete with the Imax screenings taking place with Cineplex Entertainment, mainly the Parascotia. Whenever a new Imax auditorium is built in the city it is customarily built when the theatre is built or from scratch as part of an expansion (Colliseum 13 built further into the parking lot to built it to spec). The AMC doesn’t have the room. Not the first time I heard this rumor. Also heard someone at the Queensway saying their new Ultra AUX system was IMAX which it isn’t just higher resolution presentation.

qwo06 on September 30, 2010 at 7:21 pm

This AMC is getting an Imax. Don’t know how the future hold for Scotiabank Theatre.

scruffywilber on February 11, 2010 at 3:03 pm

I think this will be considered a classic one day.
I like the Auditorium sizes much better than the shoe boxes around the corner at the “Market Square Rainbow Cinema”

John Fink
John Fink on September 10, 2009 at 5:39 pm

Interestingly enough TFF this year is using Theater #7. I might try to catch Cleanflicks (a documentary about the mormons editing Hollywood films to make them more family friendly) in ETX. Sweet.

Jon Lidolt
Jon Lidolt on September 10, 2009 at 4:13 pm

The ETX auditorium at the AMC has nothing whatsoever to do with the IMAX corporation. IMAX has developed a system that uses two 2K projectors running simultaneously to beam a brighter image onto an enlarged screen. They have also developed audio technology to provide the same standard of sound reproduction that you hear in a film-based 70mm IMAX theatre.

ETX on the other hand is projected from one Sony 4K machine – the same projectors that AMC has installed in their entire 24 screen complex. AMC has also worked on improving the sound reproduction, providing a more immersive experience. That being said, there are more similarities than differences between the two. And at least ETX is not pretending to be a genuine “IMAX experience.”

john230 on September 10, 2009 at 7:06 am

The ETX system is plain bad. This joint venture between IMAX and AMC is terrible. Not that it looks bad… but I saw Star Trek in #6’s large screen, and sneaked a peak at #7’s Star Trek. Looks exactly the same!

Watching digital cinema on 4K projectors is as good as it gets, IMAX /ETX don’t have anything better. There aren’t any 8K projectors… well not yet anyways. Not worth an extra 3 or 4 dollars or whatever it is.

At least they called it ETX (Enhanced Theatre Experience) in Canada. In the states they apparently just label these theatres IMAX, like every other IMAX theatre. Big backlash has happened. Check out the “Mini-IMAX” section under IMAX on Wikipedia.

igoudge on June 26, 2009 at 9:10 pm

Has anyone been able to see the new ETX system working as of yet? I have been wanting to see a screening with it for the past month and a half and unfortunately schedule hasnt worked and had already seen star trek by that point. But it is defintitely not the old school definition of Classic Movie Houses but in the modern contempoary definition in comparison to the Silvercities and the Parascotia, I would consider it to be a palace. I think it might even be better than the Varsity in some cases, both in presentation for projection and set up.

kamikaze4511 on May 29, 2009 at 8:28 am

123 seats – #1,4,5,8,11
134 seats – 14,15,22
155 seats – 16,17,18,19,20,21
223 seats – 23,24
247 seats – 9,10
283 seats – 2,3,12,13
432 seats – #6
450 seats – #7 (minus the first row of seats)
Total looks like 4901 seats give or take a few seats in each auditorium. Sorry but don’t know the exact screen sizes. Seat count will dictate screen size.

Jason Whyte
Jason Whyte on May 16, 2009 at 8:41 pm

Do you have a seat count/screen size/pictures for the auditoriums?

kamikaze4511 on May 10, 2009 at 5:59 am

The 35mm Projectors are interchangeable with the Sony SXRD 4k’s.

kamikaze4511 on May 10, 2009 at 5:07 am

Auditorium #7 now has the ETX (Enhanced Theatre Experience) set up with a 4 storey (floor to ceiling) curved screen and upgraded 11.1 Surround Stereo system. Auditorium revamped and now showing Star Trek (May 8, 2009).

Auditorium #9,12,23,24 have 2k Real-D capabilities. First 3D feature will be Disney/Pixar ‘Up’ on May 29, 2009.

Just to confirm, we have just under 5000 seats in the complex. A whole row of seats was removed in #7 for the big screen.

Auditorium #3,4,5,7 have 35mm Strong Projectors since the ‘08 TIFF.

telliott on September 16, 2008 at 4:15 pm

Theatres of this size and on upper floors all have fire exits from each cinema that take you right down to the street. No need to go through the lobby and down the main escalators or elevators.

mik on September 16, 2008 at 3:33 pm

Anybody else think the theatre is a firetrap? During the festival, the two down escalators from the floor with theatres 1 to 10 was backed up just with people exiting one or two movies. If everybody had to get out at once, they’d be totally inadequate. It would take half-an-hour to get the numbers the theatre will hold out, even if there was no panic. The two elevators are tiny and just as slow as the escalators. Whoever decided to put this theatre on the fourth level and up was an idiot. Whoever approved the exit system was a big idiot. Of course, many cinema treasures were firetraps, too — maybe they’re just keeping up the tradition?

John Fink
John Fink on September 15, 2008 at 4:01 am

I just got back TIFF so I have a few notes on the complex: the box office for the theater is on the first floor, with an automated box office at the entrance of the theater, which shares the forth floor of the Toronto Life Center with Jack Astors Bar & Grill and Milestones. Screens 1-10 are on the forth floor of the complex, with Screens 11-24 (I think) on the sixth floor. The festival took over screens 1-10 so I can only comment on those, with the larger theaters you entered the theater on at the mid-point, with stadium seating both upwards and downwards. The smaller theaters had a few rows of sloped floor seating with stadium seating upwards.

The festival was using 1-10, and instead of using the large lobby inside for ticket holder lines, they created a single line out front in Young Dundas Square wrapping around the block, so much so at one point it touched Ryerson University, a long block away. The theaters are used in the morning by Ryerson University as classrooms, which explains why the festival didn’t have morning shows at AMC (they did at Scotiabank, where they took four theaters this year). I suppose getting back to that line issue TIFF could have used some of the unused space in the Toronto Life Center to create a better system. The mall is mostly filled though, with a basement floor connected to the PATH (therefore I could walk from my hotel to the theater, only having to go outside to wait in the ticket holders line). They still share films with Scotiabank with that theater having an IMAX screen that gives them a bit of an advantage over getting some hotter films (ie: Dark Knight). AMC shows move-overs from Scotiabank, art films that aren’t getting booked at the Cumberland, Varsity or Carlton for some reason, and some new studio films. Food options between the food court and the two restaurants that share the forth floor aren’t in short supply, since unlike Scotiabank this theater doesn’t have its own food court.

Boczki on May 28, 2008 at 11:23 pm

That’s all I’m saying Jon, to each his own. Lets give film a chance. Film may have never been appropriate for multiplexes but that doesn’t mean it should go away. I always thought film seemed out of place in a multiplex because it is too graceful of a format and was never intended to be draped across rollers back and forth or laid on it’s side. I still feel like a single projector with a platter looks like an amputee without a projector 2. D-cinema suits the multiplex era much better both for practicality and that sterile, robotic terminal feel that defines most multiplexes.

Jon Lidolt
Jon Lidolt on May 28, 2008 at 3:01 pm

To each his own.

markp on May 28, 2008 at 12:08 pm

I got so excited, I meant to say SAYING, sorry.

markp on May 28, 2008 at 12:02 pm

Someone give Boczki a cigar!!! FINALLY someone who agrees with what I’ve been sating.