Paris Theatre

4 W. 58th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on October 21, 2019 at 11:40 am

That would be awesome for Netflix to run the theater. They actually need to release their films like Amazon Studios do as full length feature films. Until they do, I don’t see the Academy taking them serious and awarding one of their films best picture.

markp
markp on October 20, 2019 at 4:00 pm

HowardBHaas, wouldn’t it be nice to see Rahway get something like this?? It would sure be a shot in the arm for them, and a great place in Jersey to see it.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on October 20, 2019 at 2:52 pm

Actually, I think from what I’ve read, the landlord liked the Paris as a movie theater. He’s now about 90 though, and whether him or his son, likely wanted “market rent” than what City Cinemas likely was paying. Netflix might be willing to pay more than the prior movie operator, to obtain a topnotch movie theater in a great location to showcase their movies.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on October 20, 2019 at 2:41 pm

Hello-

considering the landlord of the building that houses this theater isn’t exactly a movie buff for closing it to begin with I’m surprised it wasn’t already gutted. but everytime I’ve passed by the theater which still has Pavarotti marquee up I had a feeling something was up.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on October 20, 2019 at 12:56 pm

I subscribed to Netflix last year because of the many great TV shows to stream. I prefer to see movies in theaters, and have been seeing Netflix movies in theaters including El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie, Roma, and the Ballard of Buster Scruggs. I will be overjoyed next month to see “Marriage Story” at the Paris, one of my favorite movie theaters. Thank you, Netflix! I hope Netflix obtains a regular lease of the Paris so the theater can continue to show movies rather than become something else!

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on October 18, 2019 at 8:17 pm

Are Netflix' Paris and Belasco projects the ‘last hurrah’ or a resurgence of public cinema

xbs2034
xbs2034 on October 18, 2019 at 7:00 pm

Netflix has rented the theater and will re-open it for the release of Marriage Story (a fantastic movie BTW which I saw at NYFF) on November 6th. Obviously it would be great if Netflix is able to take over the location and save it as a movie theater, but even if it’s just a one-off, is a more dignified send off than the sudden closure City Cinemas gave it.

cmbussmann
cmbussmann on September 19, 2019 at 6:40 am

Just because Village East is legally protected doesn’t mean it has to remain a cinema.

ridethectrain
ridethectrain on September 18, 2019 at 10:51 pm

Luckily Cinema 123 is still open. In 2002 it was rumored that the location would close. Luckily it still open

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on September 17, 2019 at 4:25 pm

Hello-

its nice he Village East is legally protected. in the case of the Cinema ½/3 regardless of any rumors do they own the building?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on September 17, 2019 at 12:58 pm

The Village East is a legally protected building. It has been reported that development is possible for City Cinemas 1,2,3.

cmbussmann
cmbussmann on September 17, 2019 at 10:45 am

It is only a matter of time before the other two close, imo.

robboehm
robboehm on September 16, 2019 at 6:11 pm

Doubtful. Seems all properties are leased.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on September 16, 2019 at 4:04 pm

Hello-

of the 5 theaters run by City Cinemas 3 have closed since
May- 86 St. East, the Paris and the Beekman. so the only
two left are the Cinema ½/3 and the Village East. might
it be that they actually own those buildings?

Comfortably Cool
Comfortably Cool on September 16, 2019 at 7:10 am

Despite the recent closure of the Paris, “There’s good news at the art house,” claimed New York Times film critic Manohla Dargis in yesterday’s edition (9/15/19). Her upbeat comments about cinema attendance have been uploaded to the Photos Section.

vindanpar
vindanpar on September 10, 2019 at 5:50 pm

Oh by the way I think the blu ray is sold out and now goes for extortionist prices. Sadly I did not get it. I do remember walking up the aisle of the Criterion after the film was over very shaken.

vindanpar
vindanpar on September 10, 2019 at 5:46 pm

Yes! I thought it was lousy for a roadshow film(I know why should I care?) that there wasn’t the art work but just the lettering. By the way did you get the souvenir program from there? I know there was one but they weren’t selling it at my performance. I’ve seen it on ebay or maybe someone posted it in the Criterion photo section.

Also if you pull up images Times Square 1970s you will see it in one of the images. Though to be honest someone stuck it in the images for the 60s which is where I saw it again all these decades later. Sadly the last roadshow film at that most prestigious of Times Square theaters which was a short while later to become an exploitation house before being sliced up into a slew of shoebox theaters. Superman looked great there before the theater ended up on the chopping block. Too bad its first very successful run was at the Astor Plaza.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on September 10, 2019 at 12:59 pm

Hello-

to vindanpar- I saw Nicholas and Alexandra twice during its roadshow run a the Criterion. its one of my favorite large scale historical dramas. the Blu-ray disc is !!! WOW !!! but for the life of me I can’t remember what the marquee looked like. are you saying during the entire roadshow run the marquee just had block letters and never any glass plates with art work?

vindanpar
vindanpar on September 10, 2019 at 12:56 pm

I should mention the Criterion with Nich and Alex had no film artwork on any side except for the lettering itself. Yet I believe the Newman Judge Roy Bean did on all sides from what I remember. Or was it McCabe and Mrs Miller? I wish I had taken photos of all of this.

vindanpar
vindanpar on September 10, 2019 at 12:49 pm

I didn’t think of it but you’re right. Odd for the time. But I was surprised that the front of the marquee for WSS at the Rivoli did not have the film’s artwork but the regular frozen plastic. Also Nich and Alex at the Criterion which disappointed me. My Fair Lady when it was revived at the theater in ‘71 nicely had the films artwork which was good to see though not as elaborate as in '64.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on September 10, 2019 at 12:31 pm

Hello-

on pg.1 of the photo section is a photo of the theater beginning of 1969 when R&J was still playing. what surprised me was the marquee had just block letters rather than the usual glass plate with the film’s art work.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on September 10, 2019 at 6:52 am

Harris did the L of A restoration that was shown at the Paris. Having seen 70mm classics including the most recent restoration of L of A at the Museum of the Museum of the Moving Image, I would say the Paris experience would’ve been fine. True, not an enormous screen, but plenty large enough. I enjoyed “Hamlet” in 70mm at the Paris when it was shown there.

vindanpar
vindanpar on September 10, 2019 at 6:22 am

Who did this restoration? Was it Harris? If not what did he think of it if he made any comment? Also considering size the Museum’s screen wasn’t the image small?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on September 5, 2019 at 2:42 pm

I answered this L of A a few questions above.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on September 5, 2019 at 12:35 pm

Hello-

just out of curiosity when did the Paris run the restoration pf LOA?