Paris Theatre

4 West 58th Street,
New York, NY 10019

LuisV
LuisV on February 20, 2008 at 6:18 am

So is this theater still operated by Solow? The site of the Paris has to be one of the most valuable retail sites in the city; especially now that the Plaza has been redone. The Solow Tower gets some of the highest office rents in the city and it is obvious that Solow (if in fact he still runs the Paris) he is not totally focussed on money. Anybody else who held the Paris probably would have sold out to retail a long time ago. Hopefully, The Paris will be around for decades to come. Like many comments above, I agree that this small house shows that you don’t have to be big to be a palace. This intimate theater is about understated elegance and it is a pleasure to see a film in.

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on February 3, 2008 at 2:37 am

This obscure film from Italy (La Fuga, about a lesbian relationship), played here in March 1966.

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on February 2, 2008 at 6:39 pm

The lease had expired and the landlord had no intention of negotiating a new one with Pathe, he had made a deal with Loews. I was the manager at the time and I handed the keys over to the Loews people. Pathe had intended to open up at a different location and use the Paris name there, and they removed their signs from the 58th St. theatre which we donated to the Museum of the Moving Image over in Astoria. Sheldon Solow and Loews (landlord and partner) re-named the theatre Fine Arts. Pathe’s local representative was scouting out locations. Shortly thereafter, Pathe in France, fell on hard times and the French equivalent of bankruptcy and reorganization. Their plans for a replacement outlet in New York were scrapped and their local representative let go. It was after this that the Paris signs went back up at the theatre at 4 W. 58th St. Still later, the Loews/Solow partnership broke up, and Solow went solo with the Paris.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 2, 2008 at 2:43 pm

Pathe did not return.

Loews renamed their theaters Sony after its owner, but after merger with Cineplex Odeon, the Loews name returned. So, Sony and Loews was the same operator. I think Loews stayed longer. My notes indicte maybe until 1997. When Sony Lincoln Square opened, arthouse movies often began there.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on February 2, 2008 at 2:38 pm

In September of 1990 Pathe lost their lease at this location. They decided to re-open elsewhere so they removed the marquee and moved out. Loews took over and renamed the location LOEWS FINE ARTS.

In late 1992 it became LOEWS PARIS FINE ARTS and by summer 1993 it was the PARIS once again without Loews' involvement. Either Pathe returned or the landlord bought the rights to the name, as it never did open elsewhere.

Advertisements and the marquee were changed and news stories are available along with a “goodbye” ad in the NYT from Pathe when they lost the lease.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 2, 2008 at 2:33 pm

It is no secret, but well known. I think it was after Pathe’s lease was up, when Sony leased it that Fine Arts was the name.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on February 2, 2008 at 2:29 pm

i can find out monday as there film buyer books my theater..

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on February 2, 2008 at 10:34 am

Fine Arts should be listed as an alternative name for this location although it was only for a short time in the early nineties.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on October 11, 2007 at 8:56 am

Warren, I wrote World Premiere. When it was posted by the editor Premiere became Premier. I understand the spelling has since been changed. As to caps, I like it that way.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on October 11, 2007 at 6:45 am

And one should never start a sentence with “And” either but who really cares.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on October 10, 2007 at 7:04 pm

That’s a shame. I wonder if a theatrical run of CE3K will happen at all for the anniversary. Perhaps the strong numbers for the “Blade Runner” engagement at the Ziegfeld will encourage a booking. Perhaps even via Digital Cinema Presentation (though I know Spielberg is a big proponent of film). Better still would be a 70MM run, but I doubt we’ll be so lucky..

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on October 9, 2007 at 8:14 pm

A week and a half ago, I saw “The Rape of Europa.” Don’t miss! It is a great film. You learn much, but it is also more entertaining than many current commercial feature films!

Ed, I asked about “Close Encounters of the Third Kind” Staff told me it isn’t going to happen despite earlier expectations or hopes. Hmmm…that film had its World Premiere at the Ziegfeld…..

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 7, 2007 at 9:43 pm

I wonder what’s going on with plans for a 30th anniversary theatrical run of “Close Encounters of the Third Kind” here. According the theatre’s website, the documentary “The Rape of Europa” will start a run at the Paris on September 14th, right after the current engagement of “La Vie En Rose” ends its long run. No word on CE3K at all at the website.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 23, 2007 at 8:15 pm

When I saw La Vie En Rose a month ago, which is still playing, the Paris leaflet stated Coming Soon: Close Encounters of the Third Kind-30th Anniv engagement- 2 WEEKS ONLY!, and Youth Without Youth, Francis Ford Coppola’s first film in ten years, an extraordinary love story wrapped in a grand mystery.

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on July 4, 2007 at 10:24 pm

Jacobs is the last name of the guy who booked the Angelika for Joe Salah. Salah, btw, apparently passed away in April in Paris (sounds like the name of a song…). Thanks to CT member astrocks for that info.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on July 4, 2007 at 8:11 pm

Does anyone have dreative entertainments phone number?

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on July 4, 2007 at 6:16 pm

I don’t know if he is ‘from’ NY originally, but he’s been around for years. He was with Joe Salah and them up in the Angelika’s corporate office on Green St., where they were also involved in distribution of videos.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on July 4, 2007 at 12:31 pm

is the booker from ny?

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on July 3, 2007 at 10:53 pm

I forget his name, but he was the booker for the Angelika in the pre-City Cinema days.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on July 3, 2007 at 9:31 pm

Who books this theater?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on June 24, 2007 at 8:25 am

Here are my photos at the Paris of a few of the movies shown in the last few years:

2005 Happily Ever After, View link

2006
The White Countess, View link
Copying Beethoven, View link

2007
The Namesake, View link
Paris, Je T'aime, View link
La Vie En Rose, View link

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on June 24, 2007 at 7:20 am

Having been well reviewed by the critics, La Vie en Rose seems to be doing well at the Paris. Yesterday, the orchestra was crowded during the afternoon.

The lobby display, in the niche to the right, no longer changes with the movie. I think it was sometime earlier this year, perhaps in February when Breaking and Entering was shown, that the display became a wonderful montage of Paris monuments and actors.

I’d like to see a photo of the former, huge basement lounge.