Ridgewood Theatre

55-27 Myrtle Avenue,
Ridgewood, NY 11385

Showing 51 - 75 of 2,832 comments

Bway
Bway on August 27, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Wow. That is very bad news. It appears the Ridgewood’s interior is in it’s final hours. After all this, this is where we are now…. Who would have thought….

—–“INTERIOR DEMOLITION , TO REMOVE ALL WALLS AND FIXTURE FORM THE BASEMENT ,FIRST FLOOR THOU THRID FLOOR. NO HCANGIES TO EGRESS, OCCUPANCY AND USE”

Let’s hope it’s only for the fake dividing walls from the multiplexing, but that remains to be seen. This is the closest the Ridgewood has gotten to destruction to date.

Here’s the link:

Matt Lambros
Matt Lambros on August 26, 2013 at 5:04 pm

According to the NYC Department of Buildings website, the demolition plan was approved on 8/21/13.

NativeForestHiller
NativeForestHiller on August 11, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Are there any quotes from the Landmarks Preservation Commission? It is of the utmost significance to calendar a public hearing for the Ridgewood Theatre’s interior. This is famed architect Thomas Lamb’s earliest and most intact example of a theater throughout NYC!

johndereszewski
johndereszewski on August 11, 2013 at 4:22 pm

While the 8/8/13 edition of the Times Newsweekly confirms that a reovation permit for the Ridgewood’s first floor and basement was submitted, it also indicates that the Landmarks Preservation Commission blocked implementation of this permit on 7/31/13 pending further review. So, keep tuned.

johndereszewski
johndereszewski on August 3, 2013 at 12:05 pm

According to a local blog called Wyckoff Heights, which covers these matters pretty closely, an internal renovation permit for the old theater was recently filed. So some “progress' here may soon occur. While the blog disclosed no details of the application, it is presumably on file at the Building Department and probably subject to inspection.

By the way, the emergence of a locally based group in support of the Ridgewood’s preservation is very good news indeed. Until recently, it seemwd as if the only persons supporting this were this bunch of non-resident movie enthusiasts who comment on this page. Locally based support provides a real boost to this effort.

PeterKoch on May 23, 2013 at 11:00 am

Thanks, Ridgewood_towncrier !

Ridgewood_towncrier
Ridgewood_towncrier on May 22, 2013 at 11:05 pm

WeLoveRidgewoodTheater.org is a community group dedicated to encouraging the new owners (in contract March 2012) to engage in a dialogue regarding revitalizing the theater as a mixed use venue for arts and entertainment in Ridgewood. Facebook.com/WeHeartRT

PeterKoch on May 13, 2013 at 10:42 am

Thanks, Tinseltoes. I’ll believe rumors when I see something done with the Ridgewood Theatre.

PeterKoch on March 22, 2013 at 5:12 pm

I walked by the Ridgewood Theatre this morning. No change since I last walked by it a year ago (March 23 2012).

THE BUSHWICK TWIN-S is still on the western face of the marquee, facing Madison Street.

There is now something about C-PEX on the southern face of the marquee, facing Myrtle Avenue. There was an area code 718 phone number, and four names I did not copy down.

Michael Perlman probably has additional information on the current status of the Ridgewood Theatre.

PeterKoch on October 1, 2012 at 10:32 am

The Capitol Theatre in Port Chester, NY reopened 4 weeks ago on Monday September 4th with Bob Dylan. Dylan is to perform later this year at the Barclay Center in downtown Bklyn only a few miles west southwest of the Ridgewood Theatre. It would be great if the Ridgewood Theatre reopened with Bob Dylan as wll.

PeterKoch on October 1, 2012 at 10:28 am

What’s the “wild goose chase”, Tinseltoes ? Thanks for the link.

PeterKoch on August 30, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I’m reminded of the TV show “The King Of Queens”, and the Eddie Murphy film, “Coming To America”, in which Murphy plays an African prince looking for a queen in Queens, NYC, NY.

robboehm
robboehm on August 29, 2012 at 1:51 pm

At one time there was major confusion on CT about the listings for theatres in the Borough of Queens. Some showed the community name, some had the community and Queens, so just showed Queens. Queens is unique, along with Staten Island (Borough of Richmond), where there are distinct community identies rather than “sections”. At my request these Queens entries on CT were listed, uniformly, under their community, post office, identities. Accordingly, only the Queens and Community Theatres in Queens Village would be accessed by inputting “Queens”, excepting, of course, other locations in the world such as Queensland, Australia.

Nicholas Vargelis
Nicholas Vargelis on August 29, 2012 at 9:54 am

This theater is in Queens, NOT Ridgewood !

RobertR
RobertR on June 19, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Some pics when it was open http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2010/07/02/landmark_ridgewood_theater_back_on_the_market_for_cheap.php#ridgewood-theater-5

PeterKoch on May 21, 2012 at 10:12 am

Good photo, Tinseltoes. Thanks. I would attempt to date it if I could get it large enough to read the movie titles on the marquee.

PeterKoch on May 8, 2012 at 11:25 am

You’re welcome, Brad. My pleasure.

I will consider it.

Brad Smith
Brad Smith on May 8, 2012 at 10:56 am

Thanks for the good words Peter. Send me your e-mail address at and I’ll send you a link to a file that will allow you to make a print for your wall at just about any size you want.

PeterKoch on May 8, 2012 at 10:01 am

GREAT photo !!!!!

I’m going to print it, and stick it on my wall at work.

PeterKoch on May 8, 2012 at 9:59 am

Thanks Brad, and welcome to Cinema Treasures.

Brad Smith
Brad Smith on May 5, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Click here for an exterior view of the Fox’s Ridgewood Theatre in 1929.

PeterKoch on March 26, 2012 at 10:17 am

You’re most welcome to my comments, John. Yes, indeed, let’s see. Yes, I am doing well, thank you, albeit crazy busy off the hook, and hope you are too.

johndereszewski
johndereszewski on March 23, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Thanks for your comments Peter – and great to hear from you …… My guess is that the grand supermarket proposal has gone up in smoke and that the current owner is trying to make something out of his investment …..Let’s see what will happen – and hope to see you are doing well!!

PeterKoch on March 23, 2012 at 3:48 pm

I walked by the Ridgewood Theatre this morning at 10 a.m. on my way to RSB. I didn’t cross the street to peer through the gates but took notes on the marquee.

The western face still reads :

THE BUSHWICK
TWIN – S

The small southern face. parallel to Myrtle Avenue, reads :

RETAIL FOR LEASE Erin Grace, CCIM
40,000 SF 212 710 5257
DIVISIBLE Christa Minogue
SRS 212 710 5247

The eastern face of the marquee is blank.

No change since I was last there August 4 2011.

On a happier note, Rudy’s Konditorei Bake Shop at 905 Seneca Avenue (northeast side, between Catalpa and Myrtle Avenues, next door to Ridgewood Eats, formerly the Bank Restaurant) has reopened after a ten-day renovation and is back in business as usual, selling cakes and cookies from cases and counters in the front, with a cafe area in the back with tables and chairs where you can sit sipping cappucino.

PeterKoch on February 17, 2012 at 9:59 am

Yes I am Bway, thank you. It’s good to ‘hear’ from you too.

I may soon return to Bushwick Buddies as well.