55-27 Myrtle Avenue,
31 people favorited this theater
The Ridgewood Theatre is located on Myrtle Avenue in the Ridgewood section of Queens. It first opened on December 23, 1916 with ‘6 Big Acts of Vaudeville and Feature Photo Plays’. It was operated by William Fox and boasted a 3,000-seat capacity.
It was last operated as a five-screen multiplex by the same people who run the Jackson Theatre and ran the now-closed Loew’s Plaza Corona Theatre.
Sadly in early-March 2008, the Ridgewood Theatre was suddenly closed without any warning. Banners went up on the marquee advertising the building was ‘available for retail use’. The Ridgewood Theatre remained a first-run theatre to the end.
The owner announced in March 2009 that the theatre would reopen with a three screen cinema on the upper level and a mix of shops on the first floor. The Ridgewood Theatre was given Landmark status on January 12, 2010. Despite support to save the building, it was gutted in November 2014. In January 2016 it is being converted into housing, with the former foyer set to be a retail unit.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater