Whitman Theatre

160 Walt Whitman Road,
Huntington Station, NY 11746

konga5
konga5 on June 27, 2008 at 10:01 am

KRB555! you rock! Do you remember when there was no fast food in the Whitman Mall, and us hungry teens, has to cross Route 110 to go to Arby’s (which used to be WIMPY BURGER in the 1960’s). (LOVED Arby’s Horsey Sauce!). I remember my brother and his friends went to the Whitman to see “Go Ape” (all 5 Planet of the Apes movies). I passed on that as I was too intimidated to sit in a movie theatre for 7 hours! Built in 1964, the Walt Whitman mall suffered after the great McCrorys burned down (in the May 1991) . After that, the mall was “upscaled” and geared twards affluent women and teenaged girls. This is the way ALL Long Island malls have gone! And they are more expensive than EVER!

krb555
krb555 on April 21, 2008 at 10:51 am

I lived in the Walt Whitman mall between 1968-1978. My house was directly behind the mall on NY Avenue – so least be said that I saw just about every movie in the Whitman. Just a few that stick out at me are House of Wax in 3D, Patton & Batman (the Adam West original). Does anyone remember the summer that the Whitman ran marathons to keep the kids out of the heat (and IMHO, away from their parents)? The biggie that summer was the Planet of the Apes marathon (all 4-5 movies for a single price and it lasted 8 hours). There weren’t that many movies with sequels back then, so showings were limited. The one thing I will always get a kick out of at the Whitman was when the Route 110 Pylon only read in large letters “Fight Pay TV” – instead of promoting the movie playing at the time. Of course back then, Pay TV equated to what became Cable TV. What great times they were.

gerryrules73
gerryrules73 on February 15, 2008 at 6:59 pm

Now it’s a Cheesecake Factory restaurant

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on December 16, 2007 at 6:30 pm

I became friends with im when i went to manage the COMMACK TWIN after his friend Dwane died…When i was dm he was at LOEWS….

FormerFlixGuy
FormerFlixGuy on December 16, 2007 at 6:25 pm

Sure, he mentioned Bruce a lot. Jim was among the last of a dying breed. I’m glad I got a chance to work under his watch. A big part of making me who I am today.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on December 16, 2007 at 6:18 pm

Did he ever mention BRUCE who managed the Whitman and was the ast DM.He was a great guy also.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on December 16, 2007 at 6:17 pm

The last mtime i spoke with him he was at bay terrace!He was a great guy that got the shaft many of times after RKO SOLD OUT!

FormerFlixGuy
FormerFlixGuy on December 16, 2007 at 6:10 pm

No, he had left on disability a few years earlier. His last assignment was as Managing Director of the Loews Bay Terrace 6.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on December 16, 2007 at 5:56 pm

WAS JIM STILL WORKING AT THAT TIME……

FormerFlixGuy
FormerFlixGuy on December 16, 2007 at 3:58 pm

Jim passed in 2004, just a few months after I left Loews and the business for good. Ted retired after the AMC takeover since they eliminated all the RM positions. They’ve pretty much spent the last couple of years weeding out all the old Loews people and replacing them with their own people. I’ll never set foot in an “AMC” theatre.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on December 16, 2007 at 3:47 pm

thats who made me manager in 1983.I thought you were with cineplex…I did not know jimmy passed away, how long ago..Is Ted maligloka still around.

FormerFlixGuy
FormerFlixGuy on December 16, 2007 at 3:19 pm

I was hired in June of 1990 by the late, great Jim Ward as an Asst. Manager at the Loews Nassau Six in Levittown. Mr. Ward was the one who taught me not only to love the theatre business, but theatres as well.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on December 16, 2007 at 12:07 am

FORMER FIX IT GUY ….I THINK I MAY HAVE HIRED YOU…. WHO MADE YOU MANAGER?

Bloop
Bloop on December 3, 2007 at 4:04 pm

FormerFlixGuy, now whenever you go to eat at the over-priced Cheesecake Factory (where you have to wait like, an hour for a table) , you can remember the Whitman! Will someone PLEASE snatch up pieces of that pylon/sign that is still standing as of last week (Nov. 30, 2007)!

FormerFlixGuy
FormerFlixGuy on December 3, 2007 at 2:25 pm

I was the last manager at the Whitman before it closed for good. Actually, I was the Manager of the Shore theatre but since no one wanted the Whitman, it fell to me to staff it and keep the doors open. As a former 14-year employee of Loews, with a great respect and affinity for those who came before me, I felt sad watching this theatre die a prolonged death. The bankruptcy was the only thing that got us out of the lease. I’m now affiliated with a live theatre company and had floated the idea of moving to the former Whitman after the furniture store that replaced it closed. Our owner seriously looked into moving to the old Rockville Centre twin as well, but could not get enough funding. Though I’ve been out of the “business” for four years now, I am a frequent visitor to this site and love reading the storied of our fabled Long Island theatres and even catching the name of and old friend or two. =)

Bloop
Bloop on October 15, 2007 at 12:42 pm

Is it gone now?! Lemme check tomorrow……Now would'nt it suck if it’s gone and nobody plucked the plastic letters off for a “keep-sake” ??

RonMotta
RonMotta on October 15, 2007 at 10:35 am

Last time I went by here I couldn’t see the pylon for the Whitman. I know it’s become obscured by trees. I was driving on the opposite end of 110, so I couldn’t really look close enough without causing an accident!

Bloop
Bloop on October 10, 2007 at 2:46 pm

I wish the sign for Cooky’s Steak Pub was still there!

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on October 9, 2007 at 9:24 pm

The pylon lives on, was the same style as the YORKS……

WHITMAN———————————– I DONT THINK IT SAYS CENTURY ON PYLON

Bloop
Bloop on September 12, 2007 at 2:41 pm

SEPT. 2007—— UPDATE: the building is gutted! They are putting a Cheese Cake Factory there—-YET the pylon for the Whitman theater STILL STANDS tall & proud! LOL. Someone go and take it down as a keepsake!

Bloop
Bloop on August 1, 2007 at 9:00 am

The first movie I saw at Whitman, was “The Jungle Book” when it was new. We did not go there often, but I remember every movie I had seen there. A friend of mine worked there in 1978/79. Saw “Animal House” for free, as well as a re-release of “American Graffiti” . This was shortly before Whitman went “grind house” (SEE my above history and ads!). For some reason , “Dressed to Kill” sticks out in my mind the most, out of any movies I had seen at the Whitman.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on July 26, 2007 at 9:10 am

Saw my first James Bond movie here, Live and Let Die. In a word, wow!

Bloop
Bloop on July 26, 2007 at 8:13 am

Gutted! Drove by today,saw heavy construction at the former site, July 27, 2007. The pylon/sign is still out facing Route 110! Someone grab it.

Bloop
Bloop on July 3, 2007 at 10:03 am

OK…that’s why I saw JAWS at Whitman, AFTER it’s long run at the Shore!

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on July 2, 2007 at 7:21 pm

Moveover means you pic up a print (movie) AFTER IT HAS PLAYED ALREADY AT A THEATER IN YOUR AREA…

Ie..The Whittman played in the later years moveovers from the Shore theater all the time..