UA 150

2131 Sixth Avenue,
Seattle, WA 98121

markinthedark
markinthedark on May 10, 2005 at 6:36 pm

Thanks Colin. Great Photos (but also sad) photos!

ColinMarcoe
ColinMarcoe on May 8, 2005 at 11:35 pm

Mark, I do! Several of the interior after some pre-demolition took place (you get the idea what it looked like), and exterior before and during demolition. Glad to send some your way if interested, e-mail me at:

markinthedark
markinthedark on May 5, 2005 at 4:47 pm

Does anyone have pictures of this theatre inside and out?

ColinMarcoe
ColinMarcoe on May 5, 2005 at 1:15 am

Dominique, I thought I kept track of movies shown at the UA 150 second run during the nineties as I continued to attend it frequently, and I don’t recall any of the films you mentioned. ‘Saturday Night Fever’?? Where these specialty/midnight screenings of some sort?

I do agree with you 100% the UA should have beed saved along with (if not instead of) the Cinerama. The Cinerama is cool of course, but the UA had true charm!

smonion
smonion on April 24, 2005 at 10:30 pm

God I absolutely loved this theatre. It was my favorite!!! It had the coolest sunken bathrooms and real velvet curtains. It was just huge. The aisles were great, tons of legroom. It was a true cinematic esperience. The saddest part is (to me) is that I never even went to it in it’s heydey, just when it was a second run theatre in the nineties. And it was still the coolest ever. Even now that the cinerama is working and wonderful (thank you Paul Allen!), I still wish it was the UA-150 that could have been saved.<p>
Probably the best film I ever saw there was ‘From Here to Eternity’, which was wonderful. however, I still had loads of fun with ‘Saturday Night Fever’, ‘Rumble in the Bronx’, and ‘Wildthings’. I will never forget this magical place.

ColinMarcoe
ColinMarcoe on December 6, 2004 at 3:35 pm

Yes, who could forget “Raiders of the Lost Ark” in 70mm at the Southcenter Theatre in 1980! I once heard the Southcenter boasted the LARGEST screen in the Pacific NW. Not sure if it was true or not compared to the Cinerama or UA 150.

MisterB
MisterB on December 5, 2004 at 3:19 am

Paul Allen’s got money invested in the new Cinerama. It’s not going anywhere anytime soon. Wish I’d known about the seat sale at the UA 150. Would’ve bought a roomful. As for the UA 70, I think it was always a 35mm moviehouse. As for ET, yes, it opened June 11, 1982 on the UA 70 side and then moved to the UA 150 when the 70mm print was released sometime in August of that year. I’ve also been lamenting the loss of the great Southcenter theatre (demolished for a restaurant).

ColinMarcoe
ColinMarcoe on November 29, 2004 at 12:25 pm

Yes, I had always been curious about the Seattle UA 150 curtain. The rigging and motors must’ve been very complicated because of the curve. I regrete not taking a closer look at it the day I was there buying my seats. I remember it was frozen in the raised position.

I don’t know much about the UA70 as the 150 received all the attention. One could assume it was intended to show 70mm, however the equipment was always 35. I remember that E.T. originally opened on the UA70 screen but was quickly moved to the 150 in 70mm.

veyoung52
veyoung52 on November 27, 2004 at 11:02 pm

I’ve been in dozens of Cinerama, CineMiracle and D-150 houses, but this is the ONLY one where there was a rising contour curtain on a curved track in front of the screen. Must’ve taken motors the size of a Volkswagen to lift that thing. Anybody have any info the UA70 right next door?

ColinMarcoe
ColinMarcoe on November 19, 2004 at 1:50 pm

This was a very special and unique theatre in the Seattle area. Everyone loved it! It should never have been allowed to become run down by United Artists, closed and finally torn down in 2002. It’s sad, these large screen theatres are being demolished all over the country. Hmm, wonder how long the remodeled Cinerama will eventually last?

Some of my fondest memories are going to movies at the UA. Yes, the theatre and screen were enormous and had a great Dolby Stereo sound system (for the time), but additionaly it simply felt “majestic” and intimate at the same time. Just staring at the huge red and beige curtian, waiting for it to rise gave you a rush of anticipation no matter what movie you were about to see. A feeling and ambiance you just don’t get from today’s multi-plex theaters!

Before the theatre was torn down, the seats were for sale @ $5 each. So I bought several for my home theatre. What a great souvenir!

gittes98
gittes98 on September 17, 2004 at 6:55 pm

Sad to see dust and rubble at this site on a recent visit to the city. Used to come down from Vancouver regularly to see Star Wars in 70MM Dolby stereo and those memories are some of my favorite movie-going experiences. Here’s to progress, yecccch.