United Palace

4140 Broadway,
New York, NY 10033

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on February 27, 2010 at 10:34 pm

In March 1969, the 175th Street stopped showing movies after a run of “2001: A Space Odyssey”.

Bway
Bway on February 15, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Theaters listed on CT are listed by their current name if they are still used as a Theater. The United Palace is now the name of this Theater….175th St is a former name, even if the more famous name. It’s to keep consistent within the site. There are many theaters listed by a less known name, because that is the current name of the theater.
Theaters that closed use the last name used for the theater.

Look at it this way…..it’s better that this theater is gloriously restored and intact and called the “United Palace” than the alternative….that it’s called the “175th St Theater”, and it’s a pile of rubble or in shambles like let’s say the Loews Pitkin…

shoeshoe14
shoeshoe14 on February 14, 2010 at 3:56 am

I was biking by there today and they were putting up banners and a show was there at the moment. I asked the ticket lady if I could walk inside and she said yes, but two men said I couldn’t go further. Turns out they have public tours on weekdays from 9-5 if you go to the side stage door. I did look inside the lobby and I must say, I’m really not a fan of Mayan Revival. It’s too dark and ugly for me and it bleeds into everything else.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on February 11, 2010 at 7:02 pm

You are right thats a LOT OF A K A,s.Thanks.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on February 11, 2010 at 6:59 pm

By the way I am a former LOEWS employee from Nashville,Tennessee,I when on C.T. to look up other LOEWS and got hooked on looking up others,theatres that is.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on February 11, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Here’s my favorite:

/theaters/290/

You can’t do any New York research without stumbling on the Village East with some other name.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on February 11, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Yes I know,I was not complaining,I am on C.T. most everday,love it.Just some people like to battle it out over a little thing known as A.K.A.Many of these theatres have had serveral names as I am sure that you know.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on February 11, 2010 at 6:46 pm

There is some consistency at CT. If it is still used as a theatre, they use the new name.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on February 11, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Thanks AlAvarez,Thats what I thought too.Many posts about that issue.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on February 11, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Advanced search. It still is a theatre AND a church.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on February 11, 2010 at 2:26 pm

How could someone look up the Loews 175th. theatre by the name it is now if they do not know it? This site is about theatres right.

MGrifo
MGrifo on January 29, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I’m going to see the Allman Brothers in March. Can anyone recommend a decent/safe hotel with parking within a reasonable cab ride from the theater?

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on January 14, 2010 at 2:21 pm

The movie palaces of Washington Heights and Inwood.

Bway
Bway on January 6, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Very interesting! Thanks!

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on August 4, 2009 at 12:05 pm

here’s a followup NY Times article on the passing of Reverand Ike and the effect on the church:

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 31, 2009 at 10:18 am

Yesterday, I emailed the NY Times article to homepage for news, after seeing William’s comment.

jflundy
jflundy on July 31, 2009 at 10:05 am

As William has reported, the Reverend Ike has passed on. The Reverend deserves a lot of credit for the Loew’s 175th Street Theatre surviving in the form we see today.

A link to his obit in the New York Times is provided by Warren.

William
William on July 30, 2009 at 10:04 am

Reverend Ike died on Tuesday July 28th. 2009 in Los Angeles at age 74.

wurl240
wurl240 on June 18, 2009 at 2:20 pm

I’ve been told the old Robert Morton organ console burned in the theatre a few year back. It was gold gilt and jeweled console when I heard organist Lee Erwin in concert in 1971. Any plans to restore
the console…? And, I think this Morton sounds better than many
others. If it’s not working, what’s it take to get the organ
playing…?

Bway
Bway on May 18, 2009 at 9:48 am

Haha, not to reopen the controversy on “what” the title of this theater is, and the NY Times may not have had “the” as part of the name, but it did have “Theater” as part of the name…..“United Palace Theater”. :)

Bway
Bway on May 18, 2009 at 9:47 am

For some reason, I couldn’t read that link without logging into the NY Times site, but found another link on google which I didn’t have to sign in for:

Bway
Bway on April 23, 2009 at 7:05 am

Thanks so much Joshua for sharing the link with us.

JoshuaCohen
JoshuaCohen on April 20, 2009 at 3:17 pm

A story I did on the United Palace for WNET, New York’s flagship public television station went up on the web today. The piece has some great shots of the interior and gives a good sense of how the building is being used today:

Bway
Bway on April 19, 2009 at 12:05 pm

It’s just wonderful that this theater is so well preserved.