United Palace of Cultural Arts

4140 Broadway,
New York, NY 10033

LuisV on August 21, 2010 at 8:41 am

Yes Al, you are correct that Radio City was not specifically built as a movie palace but a movie palace it most definitely is. That is how it was used for a majority of its life and how it is remembered by most.

I still think that the Tony committee made a brilliant move in scheduling the Tony ceremony at Loew’s 175th Street Theatre. It will focus attention on one of the nation’s most magnificent movie palaces while at the same time letting people everywhere know that not everything happens in midtown Manhattan. There is a wealth of architectural splendor throughout the boroughs and this will highlight it.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on August 20, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Radio City was never built as a movie palace. The Roxy (Center) was the failed movie palace. Radio City was built as a Music Hall and settled for movies when music shows failed.

Altoblanco on August 20, 2010 at 3:55 pm

I’m not surprised about this move, considering…in January 2010, the Allman Brothers Band, which held a 40-year relationship with the Beacon Theatre, was forced to move its legendary annual NYC concerts from that venue to the United Palace (breaking a 20-year, 190-show string) because – you guessed it – Beacon management booked a Cirque du Soleil production on an extended run!

It’s great that a Loew’s “Wonder Theatre” gets such an honor bestowed upon it, and that Broadway is actually celebrated ON Broadway…but 175th Street? Is it impossible today in NYC to find a theatre that’s both on Broadway AND boasts comparable capacity, quality, aesthetics or amenities, either in or closer to Midtown Manhattan?

What about the Upper West Side? The recently restored 2894-seat Beacon Theatre is magnificent! Want even more “spread-out” space for red carpet, crowds, traffic and parking? Go a few blocks down to the newly renovated Lincoln Center and its 3800-seat Metropolitan Opera House – it may not represent the authentic “classic” theatrical setting that we desire, but it’s classy, prestigious and celeb-friendly (for those of you with short memories, the MTV Video Music Awards ceremony was held there in September of 1999 and 2001).

LuisV on July 14, 2010 at 10:15 am

I’m not at all worried about any Tony “threats” to the theater. Let’s remind ourselves that the Tony’s have been housed in one of the world’s greatest movie palaces for many years: Radio City!

In addition, many acts have played the United Palace whose fans I feared had the potential to damage the theater much more than the performers. But my fears were not warranted. The United Palace has maintained the theater beautifully and I have no reason to think that it will change anytime soon.

wally 75
wally 75 on July 10, 2010 at 8:41 pm

new york posts MICHAEL RIEDEL on broadway ny post july 9th read

show gets tony new digs

Bway on July 10, 2010 at 12:20 pm

What great news!!
We are so lucky that this church had saved this theater years back, and now while still functioning as a church, it also has been used more and more as a real theater again too.
This is amazing news!

Astyanax on July 9, 2010 at 7:03 pm

What a fitting tribute to such a spectacular setting. If only we could convince the church owners to upgrade the theater name. United Palace is such a clunker!

LuisV on July 9, 2010 at 7:58 am

It was just announced that the Loews 175th Street theatre will be the home of next year’s TONY awards!!!!! How fabulous is that? It seems that Cirque de Soleil has Radio City booked for next June. A new home needed to be found and so they moved on up to Washington Heights! This will be a great showcase for one of the country’s most beautiful theaters.

Bway on April 5, 2010 at 7:13 pm

According to ticketmaster, there’s a couple of concert events scheduled at The United Palace Theater, including Elvis Costello:

TLSLOEWS on April 5, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Now the Rev. Ike has died is everything still going at this church/moviehouse?

Bway on March 1, 2010 at 8:28 am

Does the theater/church still have film projection capabilities?

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on February 27, 2010 at 8:34 pm

In March 1969, the 175th Street stopped showing movies after a run of “2001: A Space Odyssey”.

Bway on February 15, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Theaters listed on CT are listed by their current name if they are still used as a Theater. The United Palace is now the name of this Theater….175th St is a former name, even if the more famous name. It’s to keep consistent within the site. There are many theaters listed by a less known name, because that is the current name of the theater.
Theaters that closed use the last name used for the theater.

Look at it this way…..it’s better that this theater is gloriously restored and intact and called the “United Palace” than the alternative….that it’s called the “175th St Theater”, and it’s a pile of rubble or in shambles like let’s say the Loews Pitkin…

shoeshoe14 on February 14, 2010 at 1:56 am

I was biking by there today and they were putting up banners and a show was there at the moment. I asked the ticket lady if I could walk inside and she said yes, but two men said I couldn’t go further. Turns out they have public tours on weekdays from 9-5 if you go to the side stage door. I did look inside the lobby and I must say, I’m really not a fan of Mayan Revival. It’s too dark and ugly for me and it bleeds into everything else.

TLSLOEWS on February 11, 2010 at 5:02 pm

You are right thats a LOT OF A K A,s.Thanks.

TLSLOEWS on February 11, 2010 at 4:59 pm

By the way I am a former LOEWS employee from Nashville,Tennessee,I when on C.T. to look up other LOEWS and got hooked on looking up others,theatres that is.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on February 11, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Here’s my favorite:

You can’t do any New York research without stumbling on the Village East with some other name.

TLSLOEWS on February 11, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Yes I know,I was not complaining,I am on C.T. most everday,love it.Just some people like to battle it out over a little thing known as A.K.A.Many of these theatres have had serveral names as I am sure that you know.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on February 11, 2010 at 4:46 pm

There is some consistency at CT. If it is still used as a theatre, they use the new name.

TLSLOEWS on February 11, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Thanks AlAvarez,Thats what I thought too.Many posts about that issue.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on February 11, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Advanced search. It still is a theatre AND a church.

TLSLOEWS on February 11, 2010 at 12:26 pm

How could someone look up the Loews 175th. theatre by the name it is now if they do not know it? This site is about theatres right.

MGrifo on January 29, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I’m going to see the Allman Brothers in March. Can anyone recommend a decent/safe hotel with parking within a reasonable cab ride from the theater?