United Palace

4140 Broadway,
New York, NY 10033

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on July 11, 2010 at 3:11 am

I would guess that the vast majority of those who attend “Tony” ceremonies have never been to Washington Heights in their lives, and certainly wouldn’t know how to get there except by chauffeured limo or taxi. Perhaps chartered bus service will be provided from a location in the midtown theatre district?

wally 75
wally 75 on July 10, 2010 at 5:41 pm

new york posts MICHAEL RIEDEL on broadway ny post july 9th read

show gets tony new digs

Bway
Bway on July 10, 2010 at 9:20 am

What great news!!
We are so lucky that this church had saved this theater years back, and now while still functioning as a church, it also has been used more and more as a real theater again too.
This is amazing news!

Astyanax
Astyanax on July 9, 2010 at 4:03 pm

What a fitting tribute to such a spectacular setting. If only we could convince the church owners to upgrade the theater name. United Palace is such a clunker!

LuisV
LuisV on July 9, 2010 at 4:58 am

It was just announced that the Loews 175th Street theatre will be the home of next year’s TONY awards!!!!! How fabulous is that? It seems that Cirque de Soleil has Radio City booked for next June. A new home needed to be found and so they moved on up to Washington Heights! This will be a great showcase for one of the country’s most beautiful theaters.

Bway
Bway on April 5, 2010 at 4:13 pm

According to ticketmaster, there’s a couple of concert events scheduled at The United Palace Theater, including Elvis Costello:

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on April 5, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Now the Rev. Ike has died is everything still going at this church/moviehouse?

Bway
Bway on March 1, 2010 at 6:28 am

Does the theater/church still have film projection capabilities?

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on February 27, 2010 at 6:34 pm

In March 1969, the 175th Street stopped showing movies after a run of “2001: A Space Odyssey”.

Bway
Bway on February 15, 2010 at 11:06 am

Theaters listed on CT are listed by their current name if they are still used as a Theater. The United Palace is now the name of this Theater….175th St is a former name, even if the more famous name. It’s to keep consistent within the site. There are many theaters listed by a less known name, because that is the current name of the theater.
Theaters that closed use the last name used for the theater.

Look at it this way…..it’s better that this theater is gloriously restored and intact and called the “United Palace” than the alternative….that it’s called the “175th St Theater”, and it’s a pile of rubble or in shambles like let’s say the Loews Pitkin…

shoeshoe14
shoeshoe14 on February 13, 2010 at 11:56 pm

I was biking by there today and they were putting up banners and a show was there at the moment. I asked the ticket lady if I could walk inside and she said yes, but two men said I couldn’t go further. Turns out they have public tours on weekdays from 9-5 if you go to the side stage door. I did look inside the lobby and I must say, I’m really not a fan of Mayan Revival. It’s too dark and ugly for me and it bleeds into everything else.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on February 11, 2010 at 3:02 pm

You are right thats a LOT OF A K A,s.Thanks.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on February 11, 2010 at 2:59 pm

By the way I am a former LOEWS employee from Nashville,Tennessee,I when on C.T. to look up other LOEWS and got hooked on looking up others,theatres that is.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on February 11, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Here’s my favorite:

/theaters/290/

You can’t do any New York research without stumbling on the Village East with some other name.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on February 11, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Yes I know,I was not complaining,I am on C.T. most everday,love it.Just some people like to battle it out over a little thing known as A.K.A.Many of these theatres have had serveral names as I am sure that you know.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on February 11, 2010 at 2:46 pm

There is some consistency at CT. If it is still used as a theatre, they use the new name.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on February 11, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Thanks AlAvarez,Thats what I thought too.Many posts about that issue.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on February 11, 2010 at 11:48 am

Advanced search. It still is a theatre AND a church.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on February 11, 2010 at 10:26 am

How could someone look up the Loews 175th. theatre by the name it is now if they do not know it? This site is about theatres right.

MGrifo
MGrifo on January 29, 2010 at 10:38 am

I’m going to see the Allman Brothers in March. Can anyone recommend a decent/safe hotel with parking within a reasonable cab ride from the theater?

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on January 14, 2010 at 10:21 am

The movie palaces of Washington Heights and Inwood.

Bway