Los Angeles Theatre

615 S. Broadway,
Los Angeles, CA 90014

DonSolosan
DonSolosan on June 20, 2009 at 9:54 pm

I shot some time lapse video at the Last Remaining Seats show two weeks ago of the exterior, auditorium and lobby. It’s on YouTube if anyone wants to take a look.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on June 7, 2009 at 10:44 pm

Here is a little video tour of Broadway:

Bway
Bway on May 21, 2009 at 10:48 am

Wow that is a beautiful photo.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on May 21, 2009 at 7:19 am

This is a nice 2009 photo.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on April 26, 2009 at 12:19 pm

Here is a January 1948 ad from the LA Times:

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on March 30, 2009 at 11:32 am

The seating given on the “Related Websites” link above is:

Seating capacity: 2,050 (Orchestra: 1,465; Balcony/Mezzanine: 585)

monika
monika on March 25, 2009 at 3:38 pm

Posting to get this theatre back on my “notifications” list, and to add that I greatly enjoyed the “All About…” event! Pictures soon…

kencmcintyre

ADMISSION IS FREE!
Los Angeles Theater
615 S. Broadway
Downtown Los Angeles

SEE! â€" the beautiful 1931 Los Angeles Theater
HEAR! â€" Theatre Historians tell the theaters story
TOUR! â€" get an insider’s look at this amazing theatre â€" from the Gallery to the Basement
DISCOVER! â€" how you can become actively involved with the LAHTF
PREVIEW! â€" a series of exciting events coming to historic theatres soon
LEARN! â€" how you can get experience in saving, restoring and programming great theatres
EXPLORE! â€" http://www.losangelestheatre.com
REPAST! â€" Join us at Clifton’s Cafeteria following the event to continue the discussion
SHOP! â€" Look for bargains in the nearby Garment District and in Broadway’s shops

Los Angeles Theatre (1931)
615 South Broadway
The most lavish and last built of Broadway’s great movie palaces, the Los Angeles was designed by legendary theatre architect S. Charles Lee. It was constructed in 1931 at an estimated cost of more than one million dollars. Patterned after the celebrated Fox theatre in San Francisco, the Los Angeles recalls the glories of the French Baroque. The façade rises five stories, decorated with huge columns and accented with urns, angels, and vines. Its majestic lobby features mirrors, fluted columns, sparkling chandeliers, finely detailed plaster ornament, and a sunburst motif alluding to France’s “Sun King,” Louis XIV. A grand central staircase leads to a crystal fountain.

In addition to its lavish decor, the Los Angeles originally boasted a number of unusual amenities. These included an electric indicator to monitor available seats, soundproof “crying rooms” (for parents with crying children) above the loge, a staffed playroom in the basement, and a glamorous ladies’ lounge featuring sixteen private compartments, each finished in a different marble. In the walnut-paneled basement lounge, a periscope-like system of prisms relayed the featured film from the auditorium to a secondary screen, allowing patrons to watch the film while socializing.

The Los Angeles has undergone a number of incremental improvements in recent years and is a popular filming and special-event location.

View link[/quote]

rfwebber
rfwebber on February 21, 2009 at 10:35 am

Actually, William, on Feb 4 you should have said “Just making sure you’re on the ball.”

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on February 21, 2009 at 8:31 am

In February, 1931, “The World’s Finest Theatre” presented a movie that proved to be one of the greatest of any year. Tickets in reserved seat sections were as high as $1.50 (about $21 in 2009), but the top for unreserved seating was 75 cents (about $10.50 today). Kiddie tickets at all performances were 25 cents (about $3.50 today): View link

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on February 4, 2009 at 6:44 pm

If you check the Palace page, there should be a youtube video I posted last year that was taken from a car driving down Broadway at night, circa 1988.

William
William on February 4, 2009 at 6:31 pm

Pretty much most of them were still running at that time. They all started to close in and around the next few years. I think the first ones to close were Arcade, Broadway, Globe, United Artists. (not in any order) Everything was Metropolitan, but Pacific Theatres operated the Tower and Cameo at the start of the 80’s. Then Metropolitan took control of Broadway again.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on February 4, 2009 at 6:17 pm

When I moved to LA in the early 80s, several of the Broadway theaters were still showing films, namely the State, Palace and Los Angeles. Probably some others as well that I can’t recall off the top of my head. I stayed in a seedy hotel at 13th and Olive the first two weeks I was in LA, and I spent some time walking around Broadway and environs as I was assimilating. I remember the neon quite vividly.

William
William on February 4, 2009 at 6:09 pm

I would park in the lot by the old Eastern Columbia building. The Broadway side was where the Majestic Theatre once stood.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on February 4, 2009 at 5:44 pm

I actually don’t have to go out of my way, since I go downtown for work probably once a week. Today I had to park at 6th and Main as all of the lots on 4th and 5th were being hogged by film shoots, so I hoofed down Broadway on my way back to the car.

William
William on February 4, 2009 at 5:41 pm

ken mc above should have said “Just making sure your on the ball”. sorry.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on February 4, 2009 at 5:34 pm

Broadway is always full of people, so it’s sometimes hard to move them out of the way to take pictures of the sidewalk.

William
William on February 4, 2009 at 5:30 pm

Just make sure your on the ball.