Hollywood Theatre

6764 Hollywood Boulevard,
Hollywood,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

William
William on September 25, 2008 at 10:31 am

You can see the Vog of the Vogue’s vertical sign in that picture.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on April 19, 2008 at 7:46 pm

Here is another photo from the LAPL, circa late 30s:

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on April 2, 2008 at 7:13 am

Across the street you can see the signs for Pickwick Books and the Vogue.

DonSolosan
DonSolosan on April 1, 2008 at 10:42 pm

All that beautiful neon. Sigh.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on April 1, 2008 at 9:20 pm

Here is a night shot from yesterdayla.com:

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on March 29, 2008 at 9:16 pm

Hollywood, welcome back. Please post more of your unique and fascinating collection, on this and other pages.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on March 24, 2007 at 4:46 pm

No, the status is closed if it’s no longer being used as a theater.

Bway
Bway on March 24, 2007 at 2:39 pm

I don’t think they use the word “closed” unless the building sits empty. The building is very much open and in use, just not as a theater….

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on March 24, 2007 at 2:13 pm

Status should be closed.

Bway
Bway on February 19, 2007 at 4:08 am

Thanks. I went to the Guiness Museum some years back, before I even realized it was a theater….but don’t remember ANY theater ornamentation inside, but that could be because I really wasn’t looking either. But if it was blantant, I would have noticed it.

William
William on February 19, 2007 at 2:57 am

The Hollywood Theatre was just standard size theatre when it opened in 1919. The first big house was the Egyptian Theatre in 1922 on Hollywood Blvd.. Over the years the theatre lost much of its past decor through remodels. The final remodel was done in June of 1977, for the move-over of Star Wars from the Chinese Theatre.

Bway
Bway on February 18, 2007 at 12:43 pm

Thanks! That’s what I thought, but got confused when I looked at the aerial photo. So the Hollywood wasn’t all that big of a theater it appears.

William
William on February 18, 2007 at 11:43 am

Bwy, The Hollywood Theatre was just like the picture shows, a low building. The building on Highland in question is not a theatre and was never a theatre. It’s the Max Factor make-up building.

Bway
Bway on February 18, 2007 at 9:56 am

I have a question, here’s an aerial view of the Hollywood. When looking at the aerial image, the building with the Hollywood marquee appears to be a low building, and attached, actually on Highland Ave, appears to be a large theater building with windows knocked into it. I have never been in the Hollywood when it was still a theater, is this the case. Is that large building the actual auditorium, perpendicular to the old lobby area?

Pine
Pine on October 24, 2006 at 3:07 am

continued. I went into the elevator and checked each floor as it was a small hotel and didn’t see her.I realize now that I saw Julie’s spirit!

Pine
Pine on October 24, 2006 at 3:04 am

continued: Her parents moved from Hollywood to Santa Monica and then to Newport Beach. She died in the late 1970’s, after falling off of her horse. She was in a coma and her parents removed life support. I didn’t know this all these years, only finding out recently. The weird thing about all of this is that back in 1980 my husband and I liked to eat lunch occasionally at a Mexican restaurant on the top floor of a hotel in Santa Monica. I knew that Julie moved to Santa Monica but didn’t know that she moved to New Port Beach. I stopped in the lobby of the hotel to look up her last name in the phone book. I couldn’t remember her parents first names, and put down the phone book, turned around and looked at the front lobby door. In walked Julie. I was so shocked I couldn’t speak. She walked past me, and the funny thing about all of this was that she looked exaclty the same as she did in high school. Same dress, same shoes, same hair and she was carrying school folders and a notebook.
She went into an elevator.

Pine
Pine on October 24, 2006 at 2:52 am

What is your name? Julie and I worked mostly at the Fox Theater but Julie would also often work at this theater. I remember working here one night to help out. Julie worked as a cashier. I worked as a candy girl. I remember Dave James. How did he die? I remember one of his friends who had blond hair. I also remember Dave’s wife. Julie worked at a small wig/clothing store on Hollywood Blvd. near Highland and near this theater. She did this in her senior year of high school. The men from the wig store were bad. Julie loved everone good or bad. She would often buy popcorn and sodas for poor people who all knew her because she’d help them out. She and another friend from Fox got into taking drugs. I wrote her a letter when I started beauty school telling her that I no longer wanted to be her friend. At that time she had just met Art Leboe, the famous D.J. who had the radio station “oldies but goodies.” I didn’t meet him back then, only heard about him thru Julie. I heard recently that she lived with him for a couple of years.

skinnyiworkedhere
skinnyiworkedhere on October 23, 2006 at 2:29 pm

Pine:— It’s been along time since I worked at the theater. Do you remember my best friend Bruce who worked at the theater as well? Dave James was the manager and one of my closest friends as well. Dave passed away a couple of years ago. I’m sure I would remember alot of the people I worked with at the theater over the years back in the day; Maybe not their names ,but the faces are forever imprinted upon my brain. Everyone around the Boulevard knew me.

Pine
Pine on September 21, 2006 at 10:57 am

My friend Julie worked here in 1969 after we graduated from high school. We both worked at Fox Theater as well. Sometimes we’d work as “loan out’s from the Fox. I remember this theater. See my post at Fox Theater Hollywood. After working one summer at Fox, I enrolled at Hollywood College of Beauty down the street. Hollywood Blvd. back then was great fun and also dangerous at the same time. I left Hollywood at age 20. Does anyone remember Julie? Please respond on this post. Julie died in the late 70’s. I found out a few years ago.

William
William on June 28, 2006 at 8:13 am

Ed
The marquee in the film was an old style one, not like the Hollywood’s current one. The theatre exterior in the film was one of the studio’s backlot theatre fronts and the interior shots where shot at the Los Angeles Theatre in Downtown Los Angeles.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on June 6, 2006 at 5:18 pm

Minor point here, but I was mistaken about the theater in “1941”. While it might have been based on the Hollywood, the fictitious theater is called the Hollywood State in the film.