Astor Theatre

1531 Broadway,
New York, NY 10036

robboehm on June 5, 2009 at 7:07 pm

Love ken’s 1956 photo since it shows the “capitol” name in a distance, which is the way I always remember it, in the distance. Was only inside it once.

jflundy on June 5, 2009 at 5:00 pm

March 1943 “Human Comedy” at the Astor, “Saludos Amigos” at the Globe:http: //

kencmcintyre on May 16, 2009 at 2:47 pm

Here is a 1956 photo. I’ve been having trouble scrolling through some of these larger entries, so if it’s already here somewhere I apologize.

edblank on March 31, 2009 at 11:51 am

Great shot. Can’t quite see the Victoria marquee. Looks as if “Prince (something)” is playing.

kencmcintyre on January 9, 2009 at 11:23 am

This is from the Ellensburg Daily Record on July 27, 1948:

kencmcintyre on January 9, 2009 at 11:21 am

From the NYT, 7/8/48:

‘BABE RUTH’ PREMIERE SET; Film Story of Famed Bambino Opens at Astor July 26

“The Babe Ruth Story” will have its world premiere at the Astor Theatre on Monday, July 26, with all proceeds from the initial showing going to the Babe Ruth Foundation, recently formed to aid under-privileged children throughout the country.

kencmcintyre on November 27, 2008 at 11:36 am

Here is a 1951 photo from Life Magazine:

roybarry on November 22, 2008 at 10:25 am

My prayers are also with you! We worked together at the Astor Theater when Broadway was Broadway. It had it’s Damon Runyonesque broadly stated with colorful broad strokes of joy. I am glad we had the oppotunity. God Bless!

BobFurmanek on November 21, 2008 at 12:09 pm

People that hide behind an alias are a bit odd. What are they afraid of in using their real name?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on November 21, 2008 at 12:08 pm

Lost Memory: are YOU “misterboo”? I’ve never seen that name anywhere on these pages except in your posts.

BobFurmanek on November 21, 2008 at 11:35 am

Will you please stop these “misterboo” spam postings? They’re really annoying!

kencmcintyre on November 21, 2008 at 11:18 am

Here is another Life photo, this time from 1946:

br91975 on November 21, 2008 at 8:19 am

I’m sending good thoughts your way as well, Roger. Take care and all the best…

RobertR on November 21, 2008 at 6:41 am

My prayers are with you.

dodgerg on November 21, 2008 at 6:36 am

To all — I just got diagnosed with acute leukemia, so I won’t be around too much longer. But I didn’t want to just disappear without thanking you all for all of the hard work you have put into this wonderful site. As some of you know I actually worked at the Astor in 1955, so these pics and your memories are invaluable to me. Please know that your diligent research is appreciated more than I can say.
Roger W. Gardner (Dodger)

KingBiscuits on November 21, 2008 at 6:23 am

The theatre’s marquee (in archive footage) recently had a small appearance in The Express. The film showing was a reissue of Stalag 17 (the scene takes place in 1961).

kencmcintyre on November 19, 2008 at 10:13 pm

Here is a February 1954 photo, from the Life collection:

kencmcintyre on November 19, 2008 at 9:44 pm

This November 1944 photo from Life magazine shows more detail of the photo posted by Bryan Krefft on 6/21/05:

roybarry on October 16, 2008 at 3:16 pm

I was working that day at the Victoria theater. My twin was at the Astor that day. Remember it as though it was yesterday. Sad to see the Astor Hotel. As I keep saying…“great times!”

dodgerg on August 25, 2008 at 1:25 pm

Hi Leroy. We’ve talked before. No, unfortunately I didn’t come to work there until about two months after that premier, but East of Eden was showing while I was there. I believe I mentioned that I still have a pay envelope from there dated May 1955.

roybarry on August 25, 2008 at 1:20 pm

I was the doorman for the world premiere of that film. I was only 17 and was chosen for that position becaise of my height. Dodger (Roger C) did you work that premiere? I remember Ronnie Greewald, Tommy Walsh and Marilyn Fried. I have a Pathe news reel of that premiere and the ABC telecast of the premiere. Television was sure in it’s infancy! I opened the door for Marilyn Monroe'e limo. She sure was a beauty! i was surprised that she was relatively short…I think 5' 6". Great time!

I changed my posting name from leroyelliston to roybarry.