Astor Theatre

1531 Broadway,
New York, NY 10036

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on August 9, 2010 at 12:56 pm

If you click on the link for the “Best Years” sign, the film should start running almost immediately. You don’t need to sign in or license anything. Just ignore the messages around the screen where the film appears.

edblank
edblank on August 9, 2010 at 7:34 am

Just within the past few days I’ve found I cannot access any of the clips being posted on various Manhattan sites without going through some sort of licensing process.

Is this a whole extra step that will be necessary permanently, or does it have something to do with the way the clips are being posted by one or two individuals?

Is the licensing free and safe?

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on August 8, 2010 at 9:42 am

Here’s a link to the Astor’s animated signage for “The Best Years of Our Lives” in 1946: View link

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on July 15, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Some of the best photos I have seen on any site on C.T.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on May 10, 2010 at 4:20 pm

What a history.What a great story.Only in America.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on March 21, 2010 at 8:44 am

Here’s a 1931 aerial view of the massive Astor Hotel, with the Astor Theatre on the corner of the next northerly block, The caption should read 44th Street, not 43rd Street. The hotel fronted on Broadway between 44th and 45th Streets: View link

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on March 18, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Here is an interesting ad from Boxoffice in September 1951:

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on February 27, 2010 at 8:43 am

Here’s the 1938 spectacular for a 20th-Fox blockbuster: http://www.howardfrank.com/Street_02.html

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on February 22, 2010 at 11:55 am

Great photos and history on this site,C.T. is great.

MrDavid
MrDavid on January 23, 2010 at 10:17 am

Thank You for the lead…I will do just that. I will update my findings with a comment here –

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on January 23, 2010 at 7:26 am

There’s a vintage auditorium view here. with a photo credit to William Morrison. You might try contacting Morrison c/o of that website, where I think he does most of the theatre listings. He is also author of the book, “Broadway Theatres: History and Architecture”: http://www.ibdb.com/venueimages.php?id=1049

MrDavid
MrDavid on January 22, 2010 at 5:04 pm

I received the glass as a gift from a former New Yorker who’s brother was on the police force the day the wrecking ball was to raise the theatre. I was told his brother helped himself with it’s removal. I was also told that this glass was back lit with a blue lite bulb. I am wondering if perhaps their were 3 of these…the Nina, Pinta and Santa maria??

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on January 22, 2010 at 1:41 pm

The Astor was a rather plain “legit” theatre originally, so I doubt there was much use of stained glass. Do you have a certificate proving that your piece actually came from the Astor? It could have come from any building, anywhere, for that matter. If you posted a photo, that might help in identification. Does it seem to be a piece that would have been used inside the theatre, or on the exterior?

MrDavid
MrDavid on January 22, 2010 at 12:00 pm

I have recently acquired a piece of stained glass from the Astor theatre. It is of a sailing ship with a cross on the front billowing sail. It appears to be made entirely of white “slag” glass. Are there any books where I might find a picture fo my ship??

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on January 16, 2010 at 8:48 am

Dennis Stock, the celebrity photographer probably best remembered for his 1955 image of James Dean walking in Times Square. died yesterday of colon cancer at 81. Some classic examples of Stock’s work, starting with the shot of James Dean with the Astor Theatre in left background, can be seen here:

GaryCohen
GaryCohen on January 15, 2010 at 4:08 pm

I seem to recall that my favorite Bond film, “You Only Live Twice,” played at the Astor and Victoria at the same time. I know that I saw it at one of those two theaters. I also recall that enormous sign on the building above the theaters, several stories high, for this Bond film with that great Robert McGuiness artwork. It was quite incredible, I’m only sorry I didn’t take a picture of it. I also remember seeing two of my favorite war films at one of these two theaters, (I can’t remember which one,) Burton and Eastwood in “Where Eagles Dare” and William Holden in “The Devils Brigade.”

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on January 12, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Here’s a December, 1965 view of the Astor’s marquee. Bardot’s participation marked her first visit to the USA. After the Astor premiere night, the film ran simultaneously at the Plaza Theatre on East 58th Street: View link

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on December 28, 2009 at 9:12 am

This January, 1954 view looking north shows “The Bigamist” at the Astor, “Forever Female” at the Victoria, and “How To Marry a Milionaire” at the Globe:

robboehm
robboehm on September 14, 2009 at 7:08 pm

Aw, come on. That’s almost as bad as having a birthday cake for Jesus on Christmas eve which we do in my church.

deleted user
[Deleted] on September 7, 2009 at 10:08 am

Here’s a link to a great photo by Ruth Orkin that shows Times Square at the time of the 1939 New York World’s Fair. To assist tourists, MGM had set up an information booth on a traffic island in front of Loew’s Inc. headquarters at 1540 Broadway. I can’t make out the attractions at Loew’s State, but the Astor had “Goodbye, Mr. Chips,” which would later win an ‘Oscar’ for Robert Donat as best actor of that year:

missmelbatoast
missmelbatoast on August 23, 2009 at 1:54 pm

Another color view courtesy of LIFE –

robboehm
robboehm on July 31, 2009 at 6:31 pm

Okay, that’s the why. How about the where. So many of the New York dailies are gone – World, Telegram, Sun, Herald, Tribune, Brooklyn Eagle, LI Press/Star Journal, Mirror, etc.

robboehm
robboehm on July 30, 2009 at 11:06 pm

Where on earth did you find a 1925 ad and why were you looking for it in the first place.

seymourcox
seymourcox on July 30, 2009 at 10:40 am

another fine photo, this one dated 1944,

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 28, 2009 at 6:44 pm

Here is an undated color photo from Life: