Radio City Music Hall

1260 Avenue of the Americas,
New York, NY 10020

Showing 51 - 75 of 3,046 comments

HenryABax
HenryABax on October 28, 2015 at 11:23 am

Was the Wurlitzer used before the screening of Back to the Future? Will it be used for the Christmas show?

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on October 28, 2015 at 10:37 am

For the 30th anniversary of “Back to the Future”, they had 2 screenings 2 weeks ago. Thursday night and Friday night 8PM. Christopher Lloyd, James Tolkan, Alan Silvestri, and Bob Gale were at each screening.

We ran the dialogue track but the music track was cut and played live by the New Jersey Symphony Orchestra on stage. They seated the entire house except for the 400 section of the first Mezz. We had 2 Christie digital projectors there for the movie. It’s the first time we used the new house picture sheet since it was installed in April.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on October 27, 2015 at 1:10 pm

rcdt55b, could you give some more detail about the Back to the Future screenings? I love events like that…

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on October 27, 2015 at 12:35 pm

The curtain operates as it always did. As for the other things you mentioned, maybe you should see the show first before commenting.

vindanpar
vindanpar on October 27, 2015 at 11:59 am

I read the curtain can no longer do the complex configurations Roxy designed it to do. Is this not the case? There are video screens and speakers I see in all the pictures. An ugly blight. The proscenium is for the Christmas and Spring shows and this is doing fine? These are the absolutely worst shows to have it for. This makes absolutely no sense to me but ok.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on October 27, 2015 at 6:50 am

Not sure why you think the hall is lost. The curtain works fine and in any configuration needed. The proscenium is specifically for the Christmas and Spring shows only. We ran Back to the Future last week on the newly installed house picture sheet to 2 very large audiences. I think the Hall is doing just fine.

vindanpar
vindanpar on October 27, 2015 at 6:04 am

How ironic that a few years ago they made such a big deal about restoring the Hall to its former glory when they fouled up the curtain so that it is no longer allowed to make its multiple configurations, they installed a false proscenium totally throwing of the sweeping sunrise arches and have large video screens and ugly speakers everywhere. I guess the Music Hall is lost for good. Just like New York.

markp
markp on August 22, 2015 at 2:21 pm

Thanks for telling us how you really feel George, LOL. But serioiusly, I have to agree with you. The hall is a beautiful place and these shows are turning it into a mockery.

GeorgeStrum
GeorgeStrum on August 22, 2015 at 12:52 pm

Having watched the live broadcasts from RCMH of America’s Got Talent programs I’ve been aghast and shocked how awful and ugly all that electronic equipment and lighting makes the auditorium look. I prefer the original simple look without all that extra added crap.

vindanpar
vindanpar on June 6, 2015 at 5:14 pm

Mike I only wish I had the photos I saw in a family encyclopedia I had as a boy which were under the heading of ballet. I believe you bought them volume by volume from the A and P.

Also the company Impact Photos I believe it was called had photos in one of the outside vetrines of the Music Hall of past stage shows(by the 70s this was far in the past)which were pretty impressive.

The most spectacular stage show I saw was the ‘69 Christmas show which started with The Nativity(very Catholic Renaissance unlike today’s more reformed Christian take)and ended with I kid you not the launch of Apollo 11 and its’ landing on the moon with a guy as Neil Armstrong coming out of the spacecraft and planting the American flag on the lunar surface. How they managed to tie this into a grand Christmas finale was ingenious. Such was the theatrical showmanship of the old days.

wolfgirl500
wolfgirl500 on June 6, 2015 at 1:46 pm

Does anyone have any photos of the Andre Rieu concert at the Radio City Music Hall?

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on June 6, 2015 at 1:32 pm

Vindanpar, welcome to CinemaTreasures… Please continue to post your thoughts and memories of the great (and not so great) cinema treasures of years past. And add some photos, too, if you have any to share.

vindanpar
vindanpar on June 6, 2015 at 12:35 pm

That seems curious as the Music Hall disbanded its' ballet company 4 years earlier and it was not in existence when the Music Hall ended its' film/stage show format.

This was especially unfortunate as the ballet company was the ensemble on which the Music Halls spectacles were built such as Rhapsody in Blue, Bolero and the Undersea Ballet.

I remember many years ago seeing color photos of Music Hall stage shows from the 50s and they really were something. I wish somebody would find them and post them.

By the 70s when I was going and especially after the ballet company was dismissed the stage shows were incredibly amateurish, cheap looking and embarrassing. The curtain opening kept getting smaller and smaller doing little to disguise the fact that the sets were puny and there were few people on stage. Even the Rockettes were reduced to 30!

Even when films still had limited engagements the Music Hall got the leftovers which were from hunger. Why didn’t the Hall get films like The Way We Were, Murder on the Orient Express or That’s Entertainment? Because the studios no longer wanted their films to open there. Seeing stuff on the great screen like The Girl from Petrovka and Hennesy was mortifying.

Little_Billy_At_The_Movies
Little_Billy_At_The_Movies on May 31, 2015 at 11:51 am

In 1978 New York’s “Showplace of the Nation,” Radio City Music Hall, was threatened with closure and possible demolition. There have been many accounts of the efforts to save the building, some more accurate than others, but you can see a brief history of what really happened at the following link:

Rosemary Novellino, the captain of the Radio City Music Hall ballet company at the time, led the fight to save the iconic Art Deco masterpiece from destruction. She has documented the struggle in a new book “Saving Radio City Music Hall – A Dancer’s True Story” which is available from amazon.com, barnesandnobel.com and turningpointpressllc.com.

GeorgeStrum
GeorgeStrum on May 21, 2015 at 7:13 pm

Experience an evening at the Music Hall on the night of June 6, 1939. Find the following videos on Youtube: Radio City Music Hall March Loews Wonder Morton Organ. Goofy and Wilbur 1939. Tchaikovsky Symp. 6 movements 2 & 3. Corp de Ballet (1936) 1930s Rockettes at Radio City, Jan Pierce 1939 Vesti la giubba. Frank Sinatra Wishing 1939. The Sun Never Sets 1939 (1 min clip), Not all clips are from 39 and many are condensed but you’ll get a little feel of what you may have seen and heard at the Music Hall on 6/6/39.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on April 17, 2015 at 7:33 pm

I love that term “picture sheet.” Thanks for using it…!

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on April 17, 2015 at 4:02 pm

We actually did just install a brand new house picture sheet this past Monday.

GeorgeStrum
GeorgeStrum on April 17, 2015 at 3:37 pm

I wish they would return to the movie/show policy. for perhaps one special day or week

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on March 12, 2015 at 4:58 pm

Nope. In fact, they are sealed up so you can’t even tell they’re there.

HenryABax
HenryABax on March 12, 2015 at 4:35 pm

Are they using the Wurlitzer before and/or during the Spring Spectacular?

markp
markp on March 12, 2015 at 9:15 am

I noticed the booth looked dark. No film on this show I guess. Im just thankful my wife got called to work the show since her Broadway show closed in January. This ol projectionist doesn’t have much to do these days. Would still love to see your magnificent booth someday. You guys keep up the good work.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on March 11, 2015 at 6:40 am

It’s not just you Mark. We see the seams and tile color differences from the booth. The wall is crap. Always was, always will be.

markp
markp on March 11, 2015 at 6:21 am

Went to the dress rehersal of the spring spectacular last night. It is in a word, “spectacular.” The costumes were awesome, the rain scene was incredible, and the statue of liberty, while I feel is a bit too large, was amazing as well. One downer was the video wall used for the 3D effect as well as other portions in the show, I could see some seams and some squares were brighter than others. (This coming from a former projectionist with over 37 years expeirience) And to be fair I was in the 2nd row from the stage. But otherwise, a job well done and a truely great show. Perhaps the start of a new annual tradition.

DavidM
DavidM on December 15, 2014 at 1:58 pm

rcdt55b, thanks so much

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on December 15, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Hey David. Is it possible that they renumbered the seats since then? The 2 seats house left of the console in BB are actually 412-413. They are definitely used as handicapped seats if needed. There was a wheelchair there yesterday for one of the shows. I looked at the ticket list and every show seems to be sold out for those seats till the end of the run. Sorry.