Radio City Music Hall

1260 Avenue of the Americas,
New York, NY 10020

Showing 51 - 75 of 3,422 comments

Vito
Vito on December 30, 2013 at 7:58 am

I am wondering if that silver sheet is installed every year for the Christmas show and will be removed after tonight’s performance. I would like to point out to those of you who are not aware, rcdt55b used that word correctly, Sheet is the correct and common word used to describe a movie screen in our business. If in the day you were to go backstage at any of the theatres featuring stage/screen shows such as Paramount or Roxy you would find in the rigging one marked Sheet for the screen as well as Rag which was how stage curtains were labeled. I wonder if the word Rag is still used in B’way houses today.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on December 30, 2013 at 6:04 am

Mike, the 3-D video game sequence is on a separate LED wall made up of many horrible looking panels that do indeed have distracting seams (film wouldn’t do that…but that’s for another discussion). The second 3-D scene that I’m assuming you’re talking about is the Santa fly-in to Radio City. That is still 70MM film shown on the large silver screen and not the picture sheet. As I said earlier, the picture sheet has been removed.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on December 30, 2013 at 5:41 am

I saw the Christmas show on Saturday morning and two things struck me — one, the use of the ceiling arcs nearest the stage for projecting animated trains and Christmas scenes. I’d never seen the ceiling used that way before and if was very effective.

Second, during the two 3D portions of the show, the screen (picture sheet? ha!) they used was abysmal. It was several panels assembled together and the seams were so prominent and visible that it was really distracting and reduced the effectiveness of the 3D images. My suspension of disbelief was sorely tested during those sequences.

Otherwise, as usual it was marvelous to be in such a grand house again; it just warms me all over.

Vito
Vito on December 30, 2013 at 2:47 am

As we mourn the end of movies at the Hall we must take time to be grateful for the fact that the theatre is still with us; for movies or no movies this treasure is alive and thriving. As rcdt55b has written we need to get used to the changes embrace them in fact for the Hall will continue to change as new technologies emerge and new challenges for the brilliant Music Hall staff and the great stage in particular emerge. Recently we have had the pleasure of reading posts from rcdt55b who has kept us up to date on the goings on at the theatre I very much enjoyed being kept up to dates on everything Music Hall. I am sure rcdt55b would agree that our greatest contributor here in the Radio City thread has of course been REndres. As most of you know Rob for many years was Chief Projectionist during the time of movies and stage shows and after the Hall stopped showing movies Rob continued to inform delight and entertain us with marvelous Music hall stories. Today is the final day of the 2013 Christmas show and could conceivably be the last time film will be projected at RCMH. So everyone join me at approximately 8PM tonight as the last show begins and bow our heads in a moment of silence ;)  Any final thoughts Rob?

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on December 29, 2013 at 1:18 pm

or even a sporting venue….The New York Liberty once played an exhibition game at this venue.

DavidM
DavidM on December 29, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Sad news indeed, however, movies at the Hall can always return. Nothing like a good show-biz comeback to lift our spirits. In the meantime, I’ll meditate on my now 36 year old mantra. “It could have become a parking lot.”

Vito
Vito on December 29, 2013 at 11:50 am

Well the end of an era has finally come movies are finished at the Hall. It was inevitable I suppose with the death of film and the fact that in order for the Music Hall to show Digital movies it meant setting up two Digital projectors in the mezzanine which probably became an it’s just not worth it situation. The beginning of end came a year or so ago with the removal of all the changeover equipment needed to run reel to reel I saw that as a sign of things to come. Now they have put the final nail in the coffin with the removal of the picture sheet (screen) and the speaker border and stage speakers

One has to wonder if they end up dropping the 3-D form the Christmas show or find a Digital way to replace the 70mm how long it will be before all the projectors are removed and that space utilized for some other equipment.

So goodbye to movies at RCMH it was a heck of a place to see a movie but now that it’s pretty much over we can all stop dreaming and hoping for movies to return which let’s face it we all knew but did not want to accept would never again happen.

So let’s hold on to our memories of the good ole days at RCMH we will never see the likes of that again.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on December 29, 2013 at 9:48 am

First off, get used to the stuff hanging everywhere. With more and more shows and the “need” for “effects”, more things will be added. Of course things change from show to show but there be always be equipment hanging everywhere…….. ……On a sadder note, the house picture sheet has been removed and most likely discarded. Also, the speaker border with the stage speakers has been dismantled and most likely permanently removed……….

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on December 29, 2013 at 9:14 am

Next year on April 25 marks 35 years since the Hall’s schedule changed to mostly live events and less movies, and 15 years since the last time it was renovated.

edlambert
edlambert on December 29, 2013 at 9:02 am

My second experience at RCMH was seeing the Christmas show back in 1989 or ‘90. I see from more recent photos that the auditorium has lots of audio and visual equipment hanging from the rafters and destroying the view of the magnificent architecture of the space. If this “stuff” appears only as needed for special events, ok. I’d hate to see it there were I to return to see the Christmas show or some similar event.

markp
markp on November 27, 2013 at 10:48 am

Thank you Ken, Ross and Stephen. With my wifes next paycheck, from none other than Radio City, a Christmas present for me.

Ross Melnick
Ross Melnick on November 27, 2013 at 8:00 am

A few years ago, Andreas Fuchs and I wrote a new chapter, revised the old book, created new theater pages, and then a new publisher came in to MBI and killed the new edition just before it went to press. Cost cutting at its finest. Thus, there are no revised versions of the book on the docket. It is now officially out of print but the CTA has copies for sale and there are some tattered used ones for sale in other outlets.

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on November 27, 2013 at 7:09 am

MARK; The ‘Cinema Treasures’ book is available at its published retail price $40.00 + p&p from the UK, from the Cinema Theatre Association

markp
markp on November 27, 2013 at 5:52 am

Hi Ross. Just a question, and I think its on topic, is the Cinema Treasures book still in print? Any ideas where to get it? Ive checked big and small book stores, with no luck. Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving.

Ross Melnick
Ross Melnick on November 26, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Thanks, Al. The book was a true labor of love. It means a lot to me that you enjoyed it.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on November 26, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Love the Roxy book, Ross Melnick.

I didn’t know the Rockettes predated Radio City Music Hall until I read your book.

Ross Melnick
Ross Melnick on November 26, 2013 at 8:04 pm

No problem at all, Ed! I didn’t want anyone to think that their content or photos would ever be removed by us.

Also, per the issue of off-topic comments, I rarely respond to these kinds of issues or even small disagreements on the site. But my inbox is filling up with angry comments about some of the behavior lately and it forces me to have to deal with it.

I love this site and I love all of our users but I hate the petty personal stuff. The site has been online for thirteen years and I used to be much more tolerant of disagreements, but time is a precious commodity these days and I like to spend it on the positive and not the negative.

Happy Thanksgiving and please keep it on topic, even if I just violated that policy here.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on November 26, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Hey Ross… I probably should have been clearer in my comments – I didn’t mean to infer that anyone at CT was removing Chuck1231’s comments and photos. I actually assumed that it was Stephen (or some other family member with the account password) who had been removing them. Just found it puzzling, since this site obviously meant something to him, that the contributions he left behind here, would be removed in the wake of his passing.

Anyway, I understand these off topic posts will be deleted – and rightfully so. Just wanted to make clear that I did not intend to suggest any favoritism. Apologies for appearances to the contrary!

Ross Melnick
Ross Melnick on November 26, 2013 at 7:29 pm

I am, however, removing off topic comments made on this page. As you know, we rarely step into these matters but it’s time to remind everyone — and I mean everyone — that off-topic comments will be removed without favoritism. Please keep this discussion related to RCMH.

As for our longtime member, Chuck Van Bibber, his presence is deeply missed and his contributions to the site are everlasting.

Ross Melnick
Ross Melnick on November 26, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Just to be clear, Ed, no one at Cinema Treasures has removed a single comment or photo from Chuck’s account.

markp
markp on November 26, 2013 at 5:41 am

Steven, its a shame some people have no respect for others. Ive always enjoyed your fathers comments and photos. My father was a long time projectionist here in New Jersey. He would have loved this site, but sadly passed away 20 years ago. I am sorry to hear of your dads passing.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on November 25, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Steven, I’m sorry too about your father. What was his name here?

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on November 25, 2013 at 11:50 am

Stevenvb… I’m very sorry to hear of your loss, and my thoughts are with you and your family. Indeed, as it has been commented elsewhere, CT will miss your father’s contributions. It’s a shame that his legacy of comments and contributed photos seem to be in the process of being systematically eradicated from CT.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on November 21, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Here is a new link to the “Christmas Spectacular” review published yesterday. It may not work for everyone, as some NYT viewing is limited to subscribers: NYTimes

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on November 13, 2013 at 9:07 am

There was a problem with e-mail notifications for a couple of weeks, which has now been fixed.