RKO Commack Twin

Veterans Highway,
Commack, NY 11725

Bloop on July 9, 2007 at 7:37 pm

…aren’t you glad it’s not “Star Wars”?

Bloop on July 5, 2007 at 7:21 pm

One of my best childhood viewings at the Commack RKO:

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on July 2, 2007 at 10:24 pm

I worked in the village in high school also bloop…

Bloop on July 2, 2007 at 6:52 pm

Longislandmovies; what years did you manage the York ?

Bloop on June 30, 2007 at 5:58 pm

Oh by the way, I’d like to see how the Will Rogers collection cans would do with today’s Long Island teen audiences.

Bloop on June 30, 2007 at 5:55 pm

If it does well, it’s probably only because of people trying to find an alternative to the Commack Multi-Obnoxious-Teenager-Plex! The Shore used to be an alternative (for me; I worked in Huntington village for a decade). Now that has gone “Lolita-Plex”.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on June 30, 2007 at 5:29 pm

ELWOOD NOW IS A 4 SCREEN AS OF LAST YEAR OR 2 …DOES VERY WELL..

Bloop on June 30, 2007 at 4:26 pm

The RKO Commack and RKO Rockville Center, were mirror image bookings in the early 1970’s. I think the Babylon was too. I have some ads, with these very uniform bookings that I will post soon.

BobT
BobT on June 30, 2007 at 3:47 pm

I saw “Trog” and “Dracula” at The North Babylon Theater. It must have been a move over from the RKO Babylon. Every chain collected for Will Rogers and The Variety Club. Most of the executives were on the Charities boards. When I was at The 150 we would show the charity film with lights off then show trailers or a music video (the 80’s ya know) with the lights on instead of the audience just sitting there.

Bloop on June 30, 2007 at 2:54 pm

So when are we gonna have that “Commack Drive In / Commack R.K.O.” tailgate/reunion party ?

Bloop on June 30, 2007 at 2:51 pm

Saps, I saw “Taste the Blood of Dracula” (great title!) at the RKO, but have NO memory of “Trog”. I think my father made us leave before it started (knowing that it was a “bomb”?). Yeah, the Will Rogers thing was annoying…they did it at Whitman too? And I remember it was the same ritual at Elwood but I could be wrong. ____
By the way, I’m shocked that Elwood is still standing…That has “closed/demolished” written all over it! C'mon people—lets wreck it an put a C.V.S. up in it’s place!

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on June 29, 2007 at 9:13 pm

century and rko ran will rodgers…………that was the worst

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on June 29, 2007 at 9:08 pm

I saw that Trog/Dracula double feature. Trog was my first Joan Crawford picture, and her last. Thanks for the flashback.

Bloop on June 29, 2007 at 8:18 pm

Was it the RKO the theaters chain where they showed that Will Rogers short “commercial” then had the ushers come around with cans collecting change? That was very strange and discomforting—even for a good charity..at least that’s how I had felt as a kid. They showed the “commercial” way into the 80’s and it was in horrible shape as well.

Bloop on June 28, 2007 at 6:22 pm

I guess it’s “happenstance”. The two theaters were not connected in any way. But when you think about it—were there any other two movie theaters ANYWHERE, that were so close together?

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on June 28, 2007 at 1:14 pm

I think i have heard of this before at other indoor /out door theaters when they are both the same company..never saw this situation…

Bloop on June 28, 2007 at 1:06 pm

Oh my gosh: this 1970 double bill was at the Commack RKO and the Commack Drive In…AT THE SAME TIME! Is this the first time this has happened?

Bloop on June 27, 2007 at 6:03 pm

The micro-film at certain public libraries are a goldmine They keep Newsday on file from day one…some of my best ads are from there. (Unfortunate however, no Daily News or New York Post—which would have the most smokin' movie ads!) The machines are linked with Xerox machines, so anything you want, just drop in a dime and it prints out! I do collect newspapers, but DAMN, “human nature” sucks! The only newspapers that people actually saved were the following: World War 2 (various dates), Kennedy Shot in 1963, the other Kennedy shot in 1968, Man on the Moon in 1969, Nixon resigns in 1974, Bicentennial in 1976, Elvis dies in 1977, John Lennon dies in 1980… Therefore, nothing happened in 1964,1965,1966,1967,1970,1971,1972,1973,1975,etc.????????????

BobT
BobT on June 27, 2007 at 2:18 pm

As Babs would sing memmmreees….Jeez, I was assistant manager at one of those theaters playing “Polyester” at the time. I got to meet John Waters and I have an Odorama card signed by him and I met Carol Kane last year and have the Stranger DVD signed by her. I wish there were a site that had tons of Newsday movie ads. I collected one sheets, and now I collect DVD’s signed by the stars but I never thought of keeping the ads. Every time I read one of your posts Bloop, it’s like my own personal “This Is Your Life!”. Thanks.

Bloop on June 27, 2007 at 1:01 pm

Another “classic” thriller I saw, at the Commack RKO:

Bloop on June 27, 2007 at 1:00 pm

The best time I ever had at the Commack RKO TWIN :

Bloop on June 22, 2007 at 1:51 pm

OOPs, that was for the Commack D.I. ———-THIS is for the RKO!

Bloop on June 22, 2007 at 1:37 pm

CLICK for a shot of the dying days of an ad for Commack’s “grind house” features

Bloop on June 21, 2007 at 8:59 pm

Oops! it’s up and running now!!