AMC Loews Wayne 14

67 Willowbrook Boulevard,
Wayne, NJ 07470

moviebuff82 on November 19, 2007 at 5:44 am

travis reid was involved in managing this theater as well as other loews/sony/star/cineplex odeon places before amc merged the company into its umbrella. as mentioned in a post for the rockaway theater that was to be built as a loews before the takeover, this theater has recently been run down in the dumps as more people prefer clifton commons over wayne.

moviebuff82 on November 10, 2007 at 2:05 pm

Here’s a link to a story first published in the New York Times nearly 10 years ago, back when Titanic ruled the box office. View link
I saw it only once with some relatives of mine and we got in without any hitches, but the theater was packed so i had to sit in the left side of the auditorium. It was an SDDS presentation and the experience was good. I suggest you use google news archive and type in loews wayne. BTW, ticket prices at this theater have reached the dangerous $10 level, .50 cheaper than Clifton Commons and 25 cents less than Clearview’s theater. BTW, what will happen nearly 25 years from now when this place turns 50?

moviebuff82 on October 15, 2007 at 12:54 pm

not sure, it’s still highly profitable for Clearview as it’s still the only place in town where you can buy movie tickets for cheap. When AMC bought the Loews theater in 2006, it put in AMC Cinema, which is a godsend for senior moviegoers who want to pay $5 for a movie, far cheaper than the matinee tickets that CLearview offers. And unlike Clearview, the AMC in Loews has rear window captioning/DVS for disabled people alongside the spaces for wheelchairs. I hope the AMC in Wayne gets a huge makeover and has stadium seating in all of its auditoriums, much like Loews did to its theater in Danbury a few years ago before being bought by AMC. They should add a couple more screens to make it a true multiplex.

rhett
rhett on August 19, 2007 at 6:37 am

Closing the Wayne Preakness quad is a big mistake…that’s the only theatre close enough for the elderly of the town and I’m sure they get college and high school crowds thre too….any idea when they plan to close it?

moviebuff82 on August 15, 2007 at 4:27 pm

that’s good to hear; i know that the security over at the Wyane theater is as secure as Yankee Stadium since there have been reports of stolen cars near the theater as well as riots and that kind of stuff…good thing Wayne is not like Newark!!! It’s too bad that there’s no movie theater inside Willowbrook Mall, since there was one before Loews closed it down to make room for an exterior theater that still makes money.

John Fink
John Fink on August 15, 2007 at 4:23 pm

Where is has it been made known at the Clearview Wayne Preakness Quad will be closing in the near future? While their projection is poor (no screen masking as of my last visit about a year ago) it’s a comparatively more upscale venue than the riff raff you get over at AMC Loews Wayne (which employees Wayne PD for its security services and has a decal on the door stating “No Weapons Allowed On the Premises”. Needless to say neither theaters in Wayne offer a high quality movie going experience, but from what I understand both theaters perform well.

moviebuff82 on August 15, 2007 at 12:44 pm

Are there any plans to close this theater anytime soon? In the near future, the four plex will close (the one owned by Clearview), leaving the massive Loews in Wayne to be the sole multiplex; will that theater get digital projection and maybe some stadium seating? That will be cool, but at a price. The theater has aged well throughout time and change, and was the first multiplex in Passaic County owned by a major theater chain. Was this theater the highest grossing of the Loews theaters that opened in 1982? I would like to wonder about that. And is the sound mostly Dolby Digital at all screens due to the AMC standard? I always liked DTS and SDDS at that theater.

moviebuff82 on June 17, 2007 at 2:51 pm

That’s a good thing. The only changes that were made to this theater was the addition of more theaters, which made the Loews theater the first megaplex in Passaic County long before Clifton Commons came along. That happened sometime around thanksgiving of 1996, when I went to see “Jingle All the Way” in one of the 14 screens, which at the time was the top grossing theater in that area. Even though Clifton Commons has drawn people away from this aging theater with its stadium seating and THX sound, the AMC Loews Wayne is still a decent theater to check out a movie, and is located near a major shopping mall despite being flood prone.

supermp2
supermp2 on June 17, 2007 at 2:33 pm

I went to this theatre for the first time today since it was in the area where I was going. I wish is was closer to me, because I enjoyed it. I don’t know if all the theatres are like this but the one I was in was definitely a holdover from Loews, no AMC changes inside. Which I liked. Also a nice selction of video games (I like that since I tend to arrive early) and even and ice cream vending machine (although it wasn’t working). Plenty of parking, light crowds. Very Nice.

moviebuff82 on June 11, 2007 at 4:59 pm

Here’s a video of the recent flooding around the wayne theater…
thankfully the theater reopened after the waters receded!!!

moviebuff82 on March 8, 2007 at 1:03 pm

Here’s a list of movies that played in 70mm at this theater:
“Gandhi” 1/21/1983
“E.T.” 2/18/1983
“Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom” 5/23/1984
“2010” 12/7/1984
“Dune” 12/14/1984
“A Chorus Line” 12/10/1985
“Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home” 11/26/1986
“Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade” 5/24/1989
“Dick Tracy” 6/15/1990
“Far and Away” 5/22/1992
“Hoffa” 12/25/1992

moviebuff82 on December 13, 2006 at 10:32 am

Do they still use SDDS? I liked that sound system.

Astyanax
Astyanax on December 13, 2006 at 10:28 am

Although not a movie palace, a thoroughly enjoyable moviegoing experience. Unlike the mob scene at Clifton Commons, there is ample parking and no signs of crowds. Makes you wonder how they meet their “nut”. Staff are pleasant and the place is immaculate. Programming blends some blockbusteres with more serious fare.

moviebuff82 on December 13, 2006 at 10:12 am

Any plans for a 25th anniversary event at the theater one year from this month? It would be nice to see hit movies from every year that played at the theater. How has business been at Wayne after Clifton Commons opened?

moviebuff82 on January 23, 2006 at 10:38 am

I agree. AMC should renovate the Bridgewater theatre to have rockback seats, unlike the stale seats that were like the old rockaway theatre before it closed.

John Fink
John Fink on January 22, 2006 at 3:47 pm

Really? They’ll probably make it look more AMC-like. AMC’s new constructions have awsome seats.

moviebuff82 on January 22, 2006 at 1:10 pm

You know, when AMC completes the loews deal, they will close down the wayne theatre and make it stadium seating….

John Fink
John Fink on January 22, 2006 at 4:54 am

It’s a problem with all Loews Theaters actually – the worst is the ill designed Pallisades Center, but even in CT it’s a problem – the ticket line at the LCE Plainville takes 20 minutes to buy tickets. Hopefully this will all change, AMC is pretty good at running a movie theater, Clifton Commons is well run. They also know how to schedule showtimes so that things aren’t all starting around the same time. Theres a reason why AMC is the most successful chain in the country…

umbaba
umbaba on January 22, 2006 at 3:30 am

Theaters 5-6-7-8 are the cutup theaters from the original larger auditoriums…they’re not the best…I never look forward to seeing a film in these auditoriums…

plus, poorly managed, understaffed, and completely unfriendly box-office people and sooo slow….go to a weekend matinee….one box office person answering phones dealing with idiot patrons and sooo slow…I always complain to management to put more box office peole…I’m not the only one though…..all high school employees…know nothing about movies, are rude and unfriendly

moviebuff82 on January 22, 2006 at 2:23 am

Has anything changed since I last went to the theatre (last movie I saw there was “The Matrix” in the spring of 1999). Also which of the 14 screens have 8-channel SDDS? The clearview cinemas in my area don’t have the full surround sound of that system.

pbubny
pbubny on December 28, 2005 at 9:20 am

It makes enough sense so that I can see how they did it. Thanks; I guess the subdivided auditoriums really weren’t as deep as they were originally but the sightlines and screen size were good enough to sort of disguise this fact.

John Fink
John Fink on December 28, 2005 at 8:58 am

Okay, that didn’t make sense, bassicly one theater is behind the other, projecting on to what would have been the left side of the former auditrium wall, it wasn’t expanded out but the theater’s sight lines are good enough that you the divsion isn’t a hiderance (except for that long, dark hallway you have to walk down to get past one theater to the other).

John Fink
John Fink on December 28, 2005 at 8:55 am

Possable but these were larger than the current largest theaters there 3 and 4, they were split so that one theater is behind the other, in half, creating two shallow theaters.

Visual example:

| | | 7 |
| 6 | | _ |
| | to: | | 8 |
__| |
____|

note: not anywhere near scale, but you get the point.

pbubny
pbubny on December 28, 2005 at 6:48 am

The Loews Wayne—whether it was 6, 8, or 14 screens—has always struck me as a perfectly decent place to see a movie. Early in the theatre’s history, it showed 70mm blowups (I think my first visit here was for “Gandhi,” and I also saw “Far and Away,” which was actually filmed in 70mm, here—awful movie but terrific image quality) and the bigger auditoriums seemed like an acceptable substitute for the single-screen houses that were falling by the wayside. My last visit here was for the “Alamo” remake that probably played about as well here as it would have in a “modern” stadium-seating multi; I believe it was on one of the six screens that were added in the ‘90s.

I’m a little hazy on exactly how the two biggest auditoriums were divided when the original 6 was turned into 8, because I remember seeing “Jurassic Park” here (post-8-plexing and pre-14-plexing) in what seemed like a good-sized auditorium—but not, as I recall, in what would have been the original Theatre #1 or the identically-sized #2 across the hall. In other words, if the two biggest theatres were simply split, I would have expected either long, narrow auditoriums or very shallow wide ones. Could Loews have redistributed the space a little more equitably across some or all of the auditoriums to turn 6 into 8?

John Fink
John Fink on July 5, 2005 at 4:22 pm

Loews Wayne and Medows 6 are pretty much identical in design, that was until Loews Wayne cut the two largest houses in half to become 8 and then later added 6 to become 14. The Medows 6 is still open, as is the Plaza 8 (down the street) – both are low price first run houses, hanging on until Muvico comes to town.