El Capitan Theatre

6838 Hollywood Boulevard,
Hollywood,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

igoudge
igoudge on June 26, 2009 at 1:27 pm

First time to LA and I was able to catch the Nightmare before Christmas here in 3d totally awesome and the condition of the theatre is amazing, a virtual palace of Hollywoods yesteryear.

Patsy
Patsy on May 9, 2009 at 6:48 am

Joe: Quite the interior photo! Thanks. BTW……in a book entitled Lucy A to Z by Michael Karol there is mention of this theatre on page 114.

“This is the Hollywood Boulevard theater in which Desi Arnaz and his band played for Bob Hope’s radio show in 1947.”

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on April 25, 2009 at 11:28 pm

Ken, you are right and USC is wrong. Those three pictures do depict the Downtown Paramount.

This is the El Capitan’s auditorium.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on April 25, 2009 at 10:18 pm

This is definitely the El Capitan, circa late 1930s:

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on April 25, 2009 at 6:43 pm

Interior photos from 1939, from the USC archive. I thought maybe this was the Paramount in downtown, but I will go by the caption.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on February 27, 2009 at 1:53 pm

The LA Times reported today that Martin Weil has passed away. He was a past president of the LA Conservancy and a renovation expert. He was involved in the renovation of the El Capitan in the 1990s.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on November 28, 2008 at 3:31 pm

The other El Capitan on Vine Street can be seen at the top of the page in this undated photo from Life Magazine:

Bway
Bway on October 16, 2008 at 8:47 am

I was in it about 5 years ago, and it is absolutely stunning inside.

AdoraKiaOra
AdoraKiaOra on October 14, 2008 at 8:37 am

Will that continue in the future or not. It looked to be in pretty good condition in general when I walked past last Saturday

William
William on October 14, 2008 at 8:05 am

And Disney helped to pay some of the price tag to do alittle restoration work on the Pantages for the opening of “Lion King” Broadway show. But it was a budget restoration of the house. There was more planned when they did back then, but they had to cut back on the project.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on October 14, 2008 at 7:14 am

Disney is not selling the theatre, because it never owned it. Disney has only been operating it under a long-term lease.

Bway
Bway on October 14, 2008 at 6:46 am

Wow, so Disney is selling the theater? Why?
Do they own any of the other theaters on Hollywood Blvd? I know they have done some things at the Pantages.

AdoraKiaOra
AdoraKiaOra on October 14, 2008 at 5:52 am

An article from UK newspaper ‘The Independent’ printed on Oct 11th 2008.

‘HOLLYWEIRD- EL CAPITAN THEATRE'
Jamie Merrill.
For Sale: The El Capitan Theatre, a unique piece of Hollywood history and a bargain at just $31M. The sale of this splendiferous gilded theatre is a rare chance for one wealthy individual to own a slice of Hollywood history.
Located on Hollywood Boulevard, alongside the historic Hollywood Walk Of Fame, the El Capitan was built in 1926 by Charles Toberman, the real estate developer many called the ’‘Father Of Hollywood’‘ (he put up 36 stylish buildings in the heart of Hollywood). On its debut on 3rd May 1926, when it launched as ’‘Hollywood’s First Home Of Spoken Drama’‘, stars of stage and screen attended its first show, 'Charlots Revue’, starring Jack Buchanan, Gertrude Lawrence and Beatrice Lillie.
The value of the cinema and playhouse (opposite the Kodak Theatre where the Oscars are presented) can only be boosted by the fact t hat it was where ‘Citizen Kane’ had its world premiere. From 1926 to 1936, more than 120 live shows were produced there, including ‘No,No, Nanette’, ‘Anything Goes’ and ‘Ah Wilderness’. Its stage was graced by such stars as Will Rogers, Clark Gable and Joan Fontaine.
Tom Bower, the realtor selling the six-storey theatre, office building and retail store, unimaginatively described the opportunity to buy the El Capitan as chance to take advantage of ‘'a stable occupancy history and an opportunity for an investor to capitalise on long-term rent and absorption of Hollywood’‘. But he has a point. Entrepreneurs take note: as well as being a piece of Hollywood history, the El Capitan is a profitable business and is reportedly the highest-grossing single screen theatre in America, with more than 100 seats, state-of-the-art digital projection and sound, a refurbished 1928 Wurlitzer pipe organ and a screen that rises to reveal a 50ft stage for live shows.
Not too shabby for $31M

AdoraKiaOra
AdoraKiaOra on October 12, 2008 at 8:14 am

I walked past yesterday and took a few pics of the rear of ‘El Capitain’, I will post on my return to the UK.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on October 12, 2008 at 12:45 am

The El Capitan in its original incarnation can be seen in this 1928 USC photo:

haineshisway
haineshisway on October 7, 2008 at 4:17 pm

I also saw two Doctors there – Dr. Zhivago and Doctor Dolittle.

William
William on October 7, 2008 at 4:16 pm

I mean steamed Hot Dogs.

William
William on October 7, 2008 at 4:09 pm

I would say Close Encounters of the Third Kind in 70MM. During the SRO days that incredible waterfall curtain and the streamed Hot Dogs and a Dr. Pepper.
Midnight Express, China Syndrome played well in this large theatre.

Ok this is from it’s El Capitan days, running Snow White for a week.

haineshisway
haineshisway on October 7, 2008 at 3:48 pm

Here’s something that’s pertinent and maybe fun: What are your most favorite memories of attending movies at the Paramount in Hollywood? What are your favorite films you saw there? I’ll start –

Pardners – not so good as a film, but as a kid I loved it, plus I really loved the Paramount – that was my first visit there and I could not believe they had two sets of curtains – the first set went UP while the second set parted. That’s showmanship. And after the film I had my first C.C. Brown’s experience, one repeated hundreds of times right up until the day they closed (I was at their final private party).

The Music Man – saw it opening day, went back with my parents opening night – Pert Kelton was there. Thrilling film, and incredible stereo sound

Bye Bye Birdie – saw it about five times at the Paramount

unihikid
unihikid on October 7, 2008 at 3:42 pm

i know it said email,but the blue line(mta train) to the 6th street terminal,then get on the red line(subway) to hollywood.

AdoraKiaOra
AdoraKiaOra on October 7, 2008 at 3:36 pm

OFF TOPIC!

Now you L.A guys are here could one of you tell me how I would get from Long Beach to Hollywood with public transport -train,bus etc, the El Capitain etc! I’m in L.A this weekend and want to see as many of the palaces as possible while taking in ‘9To 5-The Musical’ at the Ahmanson Theatre.
Thanks!
xIanx
drop me an email if you could-journey time would be most helpful!