Wiltern Theater

3790 Wilshire Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90010

haineshisway
haineshisway on October 19, 2006 at 5:09 pm

I understand – it just irks me every time I see it – I grew up going to the Wiltern, almost every week of my childhood.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on October 19, 2006 at 4:35 pm

Your entitled to your opinion haineshisway. Maybe you don’t like the post movie theater photos of the Wiltern but others might enjoy seeing what it looks like today. If I come across a vintage photo of the Wiltern I would be happy to post a link to it. Until that time, I post whatever photos I can find.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on October 19, 2006 at 2:32 pm

I understand your point, but it does make it more interesting to see the progression from yesterday to today. This is especially important when you consider how many places like the Wiltern are now parking lots.

haineshisway
haineshisway on October 19, 2006 at 12:30 pm

Wonderful, but we like views when it was a MOVIE THEATER, not this horrid rock/concert house with no seats

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on October 19, 2006 at 6:03 am

Here is another night view of the Wiltern Theater.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on October 14, 2006 at 11:00 am

Here are two photos from the 1920s via the USC archive:

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on October 7, 2006 at 1:55 pm

This is a recent photo of the Wiltern Theater at night.

haineshisway
haineshisway on October 7, 2006 at 11:59 am

If you look to the right of the 1956 photo, you’ll see Yaekel (sp?) Brothers Oldsmobile where they used to broadcast Rocket To Stardom from and where they did live commercials all through the 50s and 60s.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on October 7, 2006 at 11:32 am

Here is a 1938 photo from the LA Library. A dime to park all day isn’t a bad deal:

haineshisway
haineshisway on July 17, 2006 at 2:54 pm

I spent a good deal of my childhood at the Wiltern, going regularly from the mid-50s until the late 60s – see my post above for details about its decline. One of my all-time favorite movie theaters.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 17, 2006 at 2:51 pm

I wasn’t around here then, so I will defer to your opinion.

haineshisway
haineshisway on July 17, 2006 at 2:50 pm

The theater was not a little down – it was still very nice at that point. Three or four years from then it would start to look a little dowdy, both inside and out.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 17, 2006 at 2:41 pm

This photo is from the 1960s. The Melody Lane drive-in across the street has been replaced by an office building, taking some of the focus away from the Wiltern. The theater is pre-renovation and looks a little down. The movie is “The Carpetbaggers”:

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 14, 2006 at 3:16 pm

Here is a panoramic photo from 1948:

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 14, 2006 at 2:51 pm

I thought this 1939 photo was interesting as it shows some adjacent Art Deco structures:

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on March 14, 2006 at 4:40 am

This is another photo of the Wiltern Theater.

haineshisway
haineshisway on February 12, 2006 at 8:27 pm

What can I say about the Wiltern? My father owned a wonderful steak house a block from there, on Serrano and 8th, called the Kiru. As a kid, I would go with him and hang out, then have the chef make me a turkey sandwich, and I’d walk over to the Wiltern and stay there all day. I loved that theater more than any other. The first film I have a conscious memory of seeing there was Lisbon with Ray Milland. I saw the opening day of Tammy and the Bachelor there, with Miss Debbie Reynolds appearing in person and giving away signed 45s of the title song (which I still have), I saw Li'l Abner there, I saw Hercules there, and Jack the Ripper, and Pay or Die, and, best of all, North by Northwest, which I saw every day for a week, and on and on and on. I can’t remember the last time I was there, but I think it was the late 60s and it hadn’t been kept up very well. The Wiltern figures prominently in my first three novels, a trilogy about my childhood growing up in LA.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on December 12, 2005 at 1:21 pm

Another modern photo of the Wiltern Theater can be seen here.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on December 8, 2005 at 3:53 pm

An interesting photo of the theater and surrounding neighborhood, from 1930:

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on December 8, 2005 at 3:44 pm

Here is a 1951 photo from the LA Library. Do they still make Old Grand-Dad?

UKuser
UKuser on November 2, 2005 at 12:49 am

CALLING ALL THEATRE / MOVIE ENTHUSIASTS!!!

T'he Los Angeles Theatre' on South Broadway, LA is playing host to the UK television show ‘Dead Famous LIVE’. We are currently looking for people who would like to come along as part of the studio audience.

‘Dead Famous LIVE’ is a studio entertainment show all about Hollywood History and the paranormal. We will be welcoming celebrity guests on to the show and investigating famous locations around Hollywood which are rumoured to be haunted including the Los Angeles Theatre itself.

This is an invaluable chance to get access to the Los Angeles Theatre, the place where Charlie Chaplin’s ‘City Lights’ premiered in 1931 and to have a thoroughly great day out! (And its free!!)

We’re transmitting ‘Live’ back to the United Kingdom so expect it to be exciting and fun!

We will be filming on three days from 11th – 13th November between 11.30am – 4pm. If you are interested in coming on one or all of these days then email me for tickets!

.uk

I look forward to your responses!

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on October 14, 2005 at 3:55 am

Another photo of the Wiltern Theater can be seen here.