Loew's Grand Theatre

157 Peachtree Street NE,
Atlanta, GA 30303

Don K.
Don K. on May 21, 2005 at 5:50 pm

For images of the Loew’s Grand go to this site:

This is the web site of the Pullen Library of Georgia State University. It features a search engine where you can search the files of the collection of the Lane Brothers photographs. There are a number of good shots of the Loew’s Grand.

They are certainly nostalgic for me, since I grew up in Atlanta and attended the Loew’s Grand many times. And yes, I saw GONE WITH THE WIND there several times when it was rereleased.

Patsy on January 28, 2005 at 8:05 am

While in Charleston I spoke to a lady who owned a gift shop and next door was a former theatre. It seems that Charleston had 4 theatres on King at one time! The auditorium still exists, but is being used by the University of Charleston especially during their Spoleto Festival. The marquee is still there, too and is used when the university has a production planned in the former theatre. I told the gift shop owner about the Fabulous Fox since she was originally from Atlanta. She then asked about the Loews and I had to tell her that it doesn’t exist anymore which surprised her very much!

Roz on January 27, 2005 at 7:55 am

Hi everyone, I am also sadden by the loss of the Loews Grand theatre. I did not have the pleasure of knowing about this place but am finding out a great deal. We have an employee is about to retire and Gone With The Wind is her all time favorite movie. She is a gentle southern bell herself and we wanted to do a special poster for her as MISS Scarlett with her face imposed on a picture wearing one of scarlett’s dresses. Do anyone know where I can find a jpg or gif file so that we can honor her in this way? Thanks Roslyn

Patsy on January 14, 2005 at 7:16 pm

BTW, what was built on the former Loew’s site since this was such “prime property”? :–((

Patsy on January 14, 2005 at 7:13 pm

Hard to believe that THE theatre that premiered Gone with the Wind is now….‘gone’! :–((

Patsy on January 14, 2005 at 7:08 pm

McGee: “the desire for the property’s prime site led to it’s demolition”…interesting quote! And does anyone know the whereabouts of the former Loew’s Wurlitzer today?

Patsy on January 14, 2005 at 7:05 pm

I now have a copy of Popcorn Palaces and the former Loew’s Grand Theatre is in there! But so sad that it was demolished as I feel there was room in Atlanta for BOTH the Loew’s and the Fox!

Patsy on December 29, 2004 at 12:08 pm

McGee: Found it interesting to read that a resident of S.W. Atlanta HAD possession of the Wurlitzer! I wonder if Larry, organist in residence, at the Fox knows this fact? Also, where is the organ today?

Patsy on December 29, 2004 at 12:05 pm

I hope to locate a copy of Popcorn Palaces to see the Loew’s Grand Theatre. Thanks to those who have offered photos of this Atlanta theatre.

Broan on December 14, 2004 at 1:38 am

And here is another, closer one. Both from the Charles Cushman collection.

Broan on December 14, 2004 at 1:26 am

Here is a Dec 3, 1951 photo of the Grand and Paramount marquees at night

William on December 5, 2003 at 4:13 pm

The Loew’s Grand Theatre was located at 157 Peachtree Street and it seated 2044 people.

jrm20001 on November 16, 2003 at 11:09 pm

This facility was re-decorated in an Art Deco style when Loew’s took over operation. The theatre was reportedly heavily damaged by fire, although the fire was in an adjacent structure. Most likely, smoke damage and the desire for the property’s prime site led to it’s demolition. A resident of S.W. Atlanta had possession of the Wurlitzer (a Style E 2-manual / 7-rank instrument.)