Texas Theatre

231 W. Jefferson Boulevard,
Dallas, TX 75208

blackiemonty
blackiemonty on August 24, 2006 at 5:03 pm

When were those sign photos taken?

I think the seat is to indicate the location of LHO when captured. It is obvious the material is different from the adjacent seats.

DonLewis
DonLewis on August 24, 2006 at 4:42 pm

My photographs of the TEXAS and TEXAS sign www.flickr.com/photos/lastpictureshow/224125426/
www.flickr.com/photos/lastpictureshow/224127947/ before the classic neon and what was almost certainly porcelain enamel covered steel marquee was done away with. Also note the same irreverant treatment fot the stars in TEXAS sign, neon gone and paint over wonderful artwork and colors. This is Dallas at its best. If there aint money in it, they aint in to it. Dallas is much more into paving than preservation. See another good example, CASA LINDA THEATER.

And by the way if anyone out there beleives that the picture from one of the previous postings is of the actual theater seat that Lee Oswald sat in, please get in touch with me I have some of his stuff for sale.

danwhitehead1
danwhitehead1 on July 24, 2006 at 6:17 pm

I visited the website indicated above by Mark Krefft. They’re claiming that a million dollars has already been spent on this house. !!!??? I don’t think so. No way. Like I said, I was in the movie theatre business for 29 years; I know what a million dollar theatre looks like, believe me. This house? There’s just no way. Where did that 1.2 million dollars that was left over after the initial purchase disappear to? There’s nothing in this house; it’s an empty shell. A million dollars? No way.

danwhitehead1
danwhitehead1 on June 30, 2006 at 5:36 pm

I was in the movie theatre business for twenty-nine years. I looked in the doors of this theatre and I’m pretty sure that nowhere near $1.6 million worth of work has been done in, on or to this theatre.

Patsy
Patsy on June 30, 2006 at 5:11 pm

And after reading about the restoration plans and money amounts, I, too, wonder what happened to all of the money that was slated for the renovation project? Perhaps the person who posted this theatre, Dan Pierce, might know.

Patsy
Patsy on June 30, 2006 at 5:09 pm

After the June 5th photos I can’t believe that the City of Dallas wouldn’t have saved this theatre and at the very least made it into a museum/theatre.

Patsy
Patsy on June 30, 2006 at 5:06 pm

This theatre should be restored and open as it is part of very important history that took place in November of 1963.

danwhitehead1
danwhitehead1 on June 30, 2006 at 12:17 pm

I was by this theatre just this past Monday (26JUN06). It still isn’t open. I wonder what happened to all the money?

Patsy
Patsy on May 30, 2006 at 5:53 pm

The vintage photo shows a beautiful marquee and vertical TEXAS sign which was sadly changed!

Patsy
Patsy on May 30, 2006 at 5:50 pm

I recently saw a program on the History Channel about the assassination of President Kennedy and had forgotten that Oswald had been captured in a movie theatre. I didn’t catch the name of the theatre so decided to go through the list of theatres in Dallas and by chance found the correct one, the Texas Theater! The May 19th vintage photo is really interesting to view…sorry to read that the cost would not allow the restoration of the exterior to be returned to the 1930’s look! Interesting to read that the LHO seat is still intact and that the manager of the nearby shoe store saw LHO enter the theatre without paying for a ticket!

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on May 18, 2006 at 6:34 am

Here is a vintage photo of the Texas theater.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on May 17, 2006 at 10:00 am

There are photos of the Texas theater here and here and one more is here.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on January 24, 2006 at 3:23 pm

There was a shoe store next to the theater in 1963. The store manager saw LHO enter the theater without buying a ticket and called the police. To date, the manager has not been linked with the Mafia, CIA, Cubans, Freemasons, PTA or any other shadow groups.

blackiemonty
blackiemonty on October 15, 2005 at 3:27 am

I visited the Texas Theater in August 2005 and was able to tour the interior which is under renovation. The upper balcony seats have been removed, the first level seats including the seat Lee Harvey Oswald was captured in are still in place. The whole place is rather dusty and appears to have been vacant for quite some time.

The exterior sign (in place during the 60’s) is in bad shape. Hopefully, the restoration will proceed.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on October 4, 2005 at 4:08 am

Architect was W. Scott Dunne. This is a vintage photo of the Texas Theater.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on September 5, 2005 at 8:17 am

Here is a photo of the Texas Theater in Dallas.

trooperboots
trooperboots on January 28, 2005 at 2:29 am

Hi Quixote… The theater had 2 war movies in a double feature on November 22, 1963 when Oswald was captured … “Cry of Battle” with Van Heflin and “War is Hell.” Both were first run films and made in 1963.

QUIXOTE
QUIXOTE on January 28, 2005 at 1:06 am

Does anybody know what was playing there the day Oswald was captured?

William
William on December 15, 2003 at 7:09 pm

The Texas Theatre is located at 231 W. Jefferson Street and when it was a movie theatre it seated 1737 people.