Paris Theatre

4 West 58th Street,
New York, NY 10019

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on February 2, 2008 at 2:29 pm

i can find out monday as there film buyer books my theater..

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on February 2, 2008 at 10:34 am

Fine Arts should be listed as an alternative name for this location although it was only for a short time in the early nineties.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on October 11, 2007 at 8:56 am

Warren, I wrote World Premiere. When it was posted by the editor Premiere became Premier. I understand the spelling has since been changed. As to caps, I like it that way.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on October 11, 2007 at 6:45 am

And one should never start a sentence with “And” either but who really cares.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on October 10, 2007 at 7:04 pm

That’s a shame. I wonder if a theatrical run of CE3K will happen at all for the anniversary. Perhaps the strong numbers for the “Blade Runner” engagement at the Ziegfeld will encourage a booking. Perhaps even via Digital Cinema Presentation (though I know Spielberg is a big proponent of film). Better still would be a 70MM run, but I doubt we’ll be so lucky..

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on October 9, 2007 at 8:14 pm

A week and a half ago, I saw “The Rape of Europa.” Don’t miss! It is a great film. You learn much, but it is also more entertaining than many current commercial feature films!

Ed, I asked about “Close Encounters of the Third Kind” Staff told me it isn’t going to happen despite earlier expectations or hopes. Hmmm…that film had its World Premiere at the Ziegfeld…..

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 7, 2007 at 9:43 pm

I wonder what’s going on with plans for a 30th anniversary theatrical run of “Close Encounters of the Third Kind” here. According the theatre’s website, the documentary “The Rape of Europa” will start a run at the Paris on September 14th, right after the current engagement of “La Vie En Rose” ends its long run. No word on CE3K at all at the website.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 23, 2007 at 8:15 pm

When I saw La Vie En Rose a month ago, which is still playing, the Paris leaflet stated Coming Soon: Close Encounters of the Third Kind-30th Anniv engagement- 2 WEEKS ONLY!, and Youth Without Youth, Francis Ford Coppola’s first film in ten years, an extraordinary love story wrapped in a grand mystery.

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on July 4, 2007 at 10:24 pm

Jacobs is the last name of the guy who booked the Angelika for Joe Salah. Salah, btw, apparently passed away in April in Paris (sounds like the name of a song…). Thanks to CT member astrocks for that info.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on July 4, 2007 at 8:11 pm

Does anyone have dreative entertainments phone number?

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on July 4, 2007 at 6:16 pm

I don’t know if he is ‘from’ NY originally, but he’s been around for years. He was with Joe Salah and them up in the Angelika’s corporate office on Green St., where they were also involved in distribution of videos.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on July 4, 2007 at 12:31 pm

is the booker from ny?

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on July 3, 2007 at 10:53 pm

I forget his name, but he was the booker for the Angelika in the pre-City Cinema days.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on July 3, 2007 at 9:31 pm

Who books this theater?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on June 24, 2007 at 8:25 am

Here are my photos at the Paris of a few of the movies shown in the last few years:

2005 Happily Ever After, View link

2006
The White Countess, View link
Copying Beethoven, View link

2007
The Namesake, View link
Paris, Je T'aime, View link
La Vie En Rose, View link

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on June 24, 2007 at 7:20 am

Having been well reviewed by the critics, La Vie en Rose seems to be doing well at the Paris. Yesterday, the orchestra was crowded during the afternoon.

The lobby display, in the niche to the right, no longer changes with the movie. I think it was sometime earlier this year, perhaps in February when Breaking and Entering was shown, that the display became a wonderful montage of Paris monuments and actors.

I’d like to see a photo of the former, huge basement lounge.

efriedmann
efriedmann on May 15, 2007 at 7:44 am

I have two very special memories involving The Paris theatre. The first was in 1996 when an old friend and I spend Saturday night seeing HAMLET. This was a four-hour film and we smuggled in a backpack with a bottle of wine, two glasses and snacks. A very fun evening and a great film.

The second was December 5, 1998 – my wife and I were on our first date. We went to see LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL after a wonderful dinner. Somewhere, we still have the original ticket stubs. On December 5, 2008, we have a date to revisit the same restaurant and see whatever film is playing at The Paris. I hope it’s still open then.

Other films I’ve seen there include a revival of Fellini’s 8 ½, LE DIVORCE and THE GOOD GERMAN.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on April 8, 2007 at 11:48 pm

I went to the Paris recently to see BREAKING AND ENTERING and the place was immaculate. It looked like a theatre that had just opened.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on April 8, 2007 at 10:17 am

The Paris is giving out a leaflet describing the current feature, The Namesake (a very good film which was well attended), and specifying Coming Soon: Paris, Je T'aime and La Vie En Rose.

Leaflet also states “Opened in 1948, the Paris Theatre is the longest continuously operating art cinema in the United States. We are proud of the Paris which has premiered many of the best American independent and international films throughout its history. The Paris Theatre is a landmark in the heart of New York City and in the hearts of discerning New York filmgoers”

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on January 21, 2007 at 7:40 am

The basement lounge was long gone by the time I got there. They had photos of it upstairs in the Pathe office (the office with the windows above the marquee) and it was quite a beautiful room. It was a lounge with sofas and chairs rather than a cafe with tables and chairs. Unfortunately I can’t remember a lot of the details.

SMEvans3
SMEvans3 on January 21, 2007 at 6:10 am

Segregation was a bit before my time, and I never heard of the Paris actually being segregated, but I believe the theatre was designed so that it could be segregated. However, I do not know this to be fact, and I had thought my initial comment made clear it was an opinion. It was not an opinion that originated with me. I had heard it several times while I was at the theatre.

I am somewhat sorry I made the initial comment because this is a beautiful theatre, and I hate seeing its page devoted to a debate over segregation. After some time at each place where I have worked, the physical facility became mundane to me. Day in and day out, year after year, the Paris took my breath away. I would hope it is best appreciated for its beauty and usually exceptional films instead of its curious water fountain placement.

Also, I want to thank AlAlvarez for posting the list of films that played there. I used to have that list, but I had lost it.

If dave-bronx worked there when the basement café was open, I would love to hear a little more about it.

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on January 21, 2007 at 6:07 am

I was referring to the blatant segregation as described by AlAlvarez in his post above that went on in 1905. The Paris Theatre was a relatively small venue at the time that it was built, having only 586 seats, and the films that played there had a limited appeal. I’m sure the balcony was built for no other reason than as a solution of how to get 586 seats in a small space. The overall demographics of Manhattan in those days were different, it was more blue-collar than it is today. While the Park Avenue crowd went to ‘a film’ the Paris everyone else was going to ‘the movies’ at Times Sq. and neighborhood theatres.

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on January 20, 2007 at 10:39 am

Yeah, but wasn’t that foolishness over with in Manhattan by 1948 when the Paris opened? I worked at the Paris when Pathe & C5 were still running it but I never heard that story.