The Space at Westbury

250 Post Avenue,
Westbury, NY 11590

stevenl
stevenl on June 29, 2007 at 11:48 pm

i saw ghost at the westbury theater too. i also saw Neighbors there. the dan aykroyd john beluchi film.

PaulLD1
PaulLD1 on May 24, 2007 at 12:43 pm

Went by it just yesterday. Sheets of white paper now cover up the doors and windows, making it impossible to see from the outside. This year incidentally, marks Westbury’s 75th anniversary as an incorporated village, as well as The Westbury Times' centenial anniversary.

RobertR
RobertR on March 7, 2007 at 4:56 am

SO much time has passed and nothing seems to be happening here?

RobertR
RobertR on July 17, 2006 at 5:02 pm

Some great news everyone. It seems there is a good chance the Westbury will be turned into a performing arts center if the new owner and the town can agree on some things.

PaulLD1
PaulLD1 on March 30, 2006 at 12:09 pm

I would advise all of you NOT to phone the number that Nova posted. I tried it myself today, and was greeted by a very gruff “HELLO”. The man treated my interest in the Westbury theatre building with suspicion. He wanted to know why I was so interested. I told him that the building had just stood vacant for many years, that I hoped something good was coming out of it, and that I hoped it would be a theatre again. He replied “yeah, something’s good coming out of it, but what, we don’t know”. I simply said “keep up the good work”, and that was that. Only time will tell what happens next.

lopez
lopez on March 29, 2006 at 12:37 am

I went past the Westbury yesterday. Workers were gutting out the second story office space at the front of the building. They gave me the following phone number as a building contact if anyone wants to try it…646-529-0977…

PaulLD1
PaulLD1 on March 17, 2006 at 12:45 am

Indeed, RobertR. Where I live, I can buy the print edition of the Times, but if I don’t see any news about the theatre on the front page, I pass it by. Getting back to the subject at hand, does anybody out there know what is happening to the theatre building proper?

RobertR
RobertR on March 15, 2006 at 2:05 am

I tried looking at the online edition of the Westbury Times but could not find out any information about the theatre.

Altoblanco
Altoblanco on March 14, 2006 at 5:59 pm

Not too long ago, the village of Westbury received a grant for a much-needed revitalization of its shopping/commercial district. Many changes have already taken place, and the plan has sparked residential development – two upscale condominiums (92 and 90 units, most of which I believe are one-bedroom) are either under construction or near completion, and other developers are expressing interest to build as well. These are attracting mostly young urban professional types who like the location for its walking-distance proximity to shopping and mass transit, as well as retirees who are “downsizing”. The housing is an “affordable” alternative (relatively speaking) for those who work in NYC and want convenient access to it without having to live in or near it. This housing alone is expected to attract almost 600 new residents to the village.

If only those idiotic owners hadn’t turned the theatre into a pile of garbage, they could have capitalized on all of these changes. Still, it’s better off now that it’s out of their insanely incompetent hands – someone might actually come in now, renovate and make a successful go of it. Considering what developments are occuring in the village, it could be a prime opportunity.

All of this is happening despite the fact that just directly to the east is unsavory New Cassel, for years a depressed “minority” neighbourhood that over time has become permeated with drugs, gangs and [illegal] immigrants (I would advise against travelling through there, especially at night). A blight on the landscape and boil on the backside of one of Long Island’s most vibrant and popular shopping destinations – the Westbury/Carle Place/Garden City area.

PaulLD1
PaulLD1 on March 14, 2006 at 11:54 am

I was riding past the theatre the other day, when the cab driver told me “Y'know, dey’re restorin' it”. Too shock to hear the rest of what he was saying, I decided to investigate the next day. Sure enough, through the soapy glass doors, one could see that the lobby has been torn out, replaced by wooden support beams, while sawdust and a ladder were on the floor. Around the corner stood two dumpsters filled to the rim. I have no idea if the theatre is being restored, or if the building is being converted for other uses. Anyone out there with any news???

RobertR
RobertR on October 24, 2005 at 2:40 pm

“Shoes of the Fisherman” on its neighborhood run in 1969

chconnol
chconnol on October 14, 2005 at 4:03 am

Depressing? Sounds fascinating. Too think I saw “The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother” with Gene Wilder here in 1976 and all that “stuff” was there when I saw it. Amazing.

DennisLeight
DennisLeight on October 14, 2005 at 3:08 am

I worked on the 2/6 Midmer Losh organ for the owner in 1976. His name was Brandt if I recall correctly. He had no interest in the instrument other than to sell it, which he did about a year later. It went into a private home, I believe. The main chamber to the right of the proscenium contained all six ranks. The opposite chamber had only a tubular chime set. The main chest had a Diapason, Stopped Diapason, Dulciana and Salicional, all at 8' pitch. A Bourdon 16' and Vox Humana 8' stood on offset chests. The console was a typical Midmer Losh with an extended 73 note lower manual and a pre-wired, synthetic oboe stop tab. While working there, I noticed lots of stage equipment still in place, including scenery and curtains hanging way up in the fly. There was also an early Vitaphone sound system, erected on a scaffold behind the screen. It was still in use at the time, I believe, although I never saw a film in this theatre. It was a depressing place to work late at night. I can still smell the popcorn and carbon tetrachloride.

PaulLD1
PaulLD1 on September 16, 2005 at 2:58 pm

Sorry to say, nothing has changed since my March 7th post.

RobertR
RobertR on September 13, 2005 at 2:28 am

Is the theatre still just sitting there?

PaulLD1
PaulLD1 on September 13, 2005 at 12:55 am

Another sad day in Westbury: Tear and Gershon, a staionery/candy store that stood across the street from the Westbury Theatre for over 50 years, and where a reporter in the audience of the infamous cough drop caper went to phone the story in (they didn’t have cells back then) has shuttered and closed.

RobertR
RobertR on July 6, 2005 at 4:13 pm

“Orca” played the Westbury the summer of 1977

PaulLD1
PaulLD1 on June 4, 2005 at 6:09 am

I go by there every day on the N 35 bus. Nothing has changed since my March 7th post.

RobertR
RobertR on June 1, 2005 at 11:00 am

Anybody drive by here lately?

RobertR
RobertR on March 24, 2005 at 12:06 pm

There are pictures here of the marquee with the infamous “C-note” donors and the ceiling coming down.

www.antonnews.com/westburytimes/2003/08/08/news/

RobertR
RobertR on March 24, 2005 at 12:02 pm

Here is a picture of the marquee advertising the bankruptcy sale.

www.antonnews.com/westburytimes/2004/09/24/news/

PaulLD1
PaulLD1 on March 10, 2005 at 3:04 pm

To Bob T: Thanks for reminding me that the “Pirates…” played there in ‘83. I remember the marquee read MAJOR STUDIO WORLD PREMIERE, and I had wanted to go very much. Now I remember why I didn’t: it WAS raining VERY HARD that night!

BobT
BobT on March 9, 2005 at 6:52 pm

I only went there once. In ‘83 Universal had an experiment where they were going to open “The Pirates Of Penzance” starring Kevin Kline and Linda Ronstadt both theatrically and on Pay Per Veiw at the same time. I worked for UA at the time and of course none of the chains would touch it. Well, the Westbury was the only theatre showing it and I had never been there before and I had seen the Broadway show with the same cast so what the hell. I only have one thing to say about the experience, it was raining that night.

PaulLD1
PaulLD1 on March 9, 2005 at 4:13 pm

From the Village of Westbury Newsletter:

After several years of litigarion, the Village won the
right to forclose on the (theatre) property and the
courts finally sold the building through a bankruptcy
auction. Although (the) new owners have not completed
plans, they have met with Mayor Strada and agreed to use
their best efforts to fulfill the wishes of the Village
and re-energize the theatre in at least some portion of
the building. The Village will keep this as a goal and
continue to work with these new owners.

Let’s hope so. In the past few years, a pair of stadium sized condos have been going up near Post Avenue, dwarfing everything in site!

PaulLD1
PaulLD1 on March 7, 2005 at 3:37 am

Went by there yesterday. The new owners have soaped the windows so it is no longer as easy to see through. However, I noticed that the concession stand, where the popcorn was still popped right before your eyes (see previous post) has been removed, while around the corner, the trees by the building have been chopped down. The whole place looks very gloomy.