UA Lynbrook 6

321 Merrick Road,
Lynbrook, NY 11563

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on October 11, 2007 at 3:28 am

Thanks, 7train… When I was in #1 to see “The Simpsons Movie” over the summer, I thought the room seemed a little tighter than I recalled from the 1980’s, when I frequented the Lynbrook with regularity. The removal of seats results in the aisle now being somewhat left of center in relation to the screen.

7traintoshea
7traintoshea on October 10, 2007 at 4:32 am

yes, seats were remove to accomadate the hallway. Theatre 1 lost about 100 seats. KS stands for Kintek Stereo, a cheaper sound system. The bad part it is mono in the front with stereo surround.

The only other location in Nassau that Kintek Stereo is AMC Nassau Metroplex screens 7 to 10

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 24, 2007 at 5:15 pm

I assume #1 is the left side of the old orchestra and #5 is the backstage theater which would make #6 the tiny storefront conversion that is off the front of the lobby. What does “KS” stand for?

Also… Were seats lost along the left side of theater 1 to accommodate the passageway to get to theater 5?

7traintoshea
7traintoshea on September 24, 2007 at 5:24 am

seating capacities at lynbrook
1. 312 dts/DS
2. 415 dts/DS
3. 240
4. 225
5. 202 KS
6. 120 KS

No Cupholders, 3 and 4 which are upstairs don’t have Dolby Stereo or digital sound and 5 and 6 which opened in 1989 only have Kintex Stereo

Rory
Rory on September 6, 2007 at 11:29 am

I lived in Hempstead when I was a kid in the sixties and I can remember going to the Lynbrook Theatre on Wednesday, May 28, 1969, to see a double feature of “Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines” and “Planet of the Apes.” Someone at Fox must have thought that would make a good pairing, the ads called it “The Perfect Mates! Apes and Men!” Anyway, “Men” started at 7 P.M. and since it was over two hours long — and had an Intermission! — “Apes” didn’t start until after 10 P.M. I remember my father wondering how I and my siblings were going to get up to go to school the next day. Since I was only nine back then, I can’t now recall the next day. But I do remember the Lynbrook at that occasion. It had a nice lobby and was a big theatre with a balcony. I vividly recall sitting in the center/front of the balcony. “Planet of the Apes” was — and still is — my favorite movie, so to see it like that was a great thrill. I’m sorry to read that the theatre eventually got divided up and is now in such bad shape, but that’s been the fate of most movie houses. Actually I’m surprised the Lynbrook is still standing!

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 3, 2007 at 5:28 am

This page on the Lynbrook Fire Department’s website recounts an incident from earlier this year when the theater’s popcorn machine suffered from technical difficulties. There are some photos of the lobby – and its depressing drop ceiling.

guitarteen226
guitarteen226 on September 2, 2007 at 10:37 pm

Well Ed I agree your right about the RVC Fantasy being the strongest competition. When the movies aren’t in Lynbrook me and my friends go to RVC. They usually have it if Lynbrook doesnt, we dont go to Green Acres cause of the shootings and stuff in the past, Malverne and Franklin Square are far for walking.

Mike I’m sure for some of the work such as painting possibly installing seats and whatnot can be done by students for community service hours. What ever happend to the Fantasy Playhouse? I don’t know how you could demolish that theartre. Like the Lynbrookteen dude pointed out it has alot of history. I too was up in the stage for some party years ago. The theatre has been around quite awhile. I’ve found pictures online www.lynbrookpba.org/OldLynbrook1.htm Check it out.

You do have a great staff Mike.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on August 30, 2007 at 10:18 pm

By the way, I agree with Mike that the introductory comments above should probably be re-written – if only to present a more objective and historically minded intro. I think the thread of comments sufficiently bemoan the theater’s fall from stylish single screen playhouse to dissected and neglected plex.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on August 30, 2007 at 10:06 pm

I often wonder if more locals would visit the Lynbrook if it were a more inviting and well kept place. Fixing that A/C will probably go a long way. Replacing the seats would be another. It’s not as if there are any more modern stadium-styled multiplexes in the area. I can’t imagine the Franklin Square theater being any more comfortable than the Lynbrook – and certainly its auditoriums are smaller than the Lynbrook’s four main rooms. Malverne is the same story – thought it has its own niche audience due to the more sophisticated offerings there. Sunrise Cinemas is a dinosaur from the late ‘70’s and both it and the nearby Green Acres likely suffer from an unfortunate racial stigma in the view of many Lynbrook residents.

The strongest competition to the Lynbrook probably comes from the Fantasy in RVC – which, again, offers no stadium-style comforts. The Fantasy probably has more parking spaces available, due to the large lot behind the stores across the street, so that gives it a definite edge. Is parking the big obstacle in gutting the Lynbrook for a stadium-plex refit?

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 30, 2007 at 9:15 pm

Mike, despite your corporate stance, you’re still a cutie-pie.

xxlive9xx
xxlive9xx on August 30, 2007 at 9:01 pm

My problem is the overall point of this website and what it should be and what it isnt. That blurb clearly is not needed in the sense that its vague. The problem as I have said with remodeling is the layout of the building. As well as the village of Lynbrook not willing to coperate with the needs of the theatre. Regal currently owns over 540 theatres…Lynbrook is not a prime location to take so much concern over. The industry itself isnt exactly thriving and the importance of building in other areas that would be more profitable should be the target for now. Granted I do agree that UA had negleted many of there theatres I believe Regal has a better idea of how to go about these older houses. Regal has closed the unproffitable Meadowbrook, sold Douglaston, closing Patchogue on 9/9/07, and the new Deer Park theatre will open soon. Lynbrook is still to some extent profitable and because of that I think they will do something with it. I respect you’re desire to keep open the older theatre’s and have them retrofitted…it just isnt as simple as it seems.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on August 30, 2007 at 5:57 pm

Mike… I think the state of the Lynbrook itself speaks to the lack of attention UA paid this once proud theater. Those uncomfortably padded wooden seats I sat in to watch “The Simpsons” earlier this month are probably the very same seats in which I watched “1941” back in December of ‘79! It has been the experience of many here on CT that UA allowed a number of its theaters (mostly older single-screen nabes split into 2, 3 or 4 screens) to suffer wear and tear with minimal maintenance – at least here in the NYC area. However, I don’t think that Regal has been in control long enough to fairly pass judgment on their care of the theater.

Perhaps the comments should be adjusted to reflect the promise of new ownership. At least the A/C has been fixed and the burned-out lights on the marquee replaced! If you go to the “About Us” link at the top of any CT page, you can send a message to the CT editors via the “Contact Us” link there.

xxlive9xx
xxlive9xx on August 30, 2007 at 6:45 am

I would love to know how to change the blurb at the top of the page. It would be nice if someone that knows and has worked at the theatre could put up something that isnt so anti-regal/ua.

xxlive9xx
xxlive9xx on August 22, 2007 at 5:00 am

Also Ed…I did run the Lynbrook for a brief time in 2005…I was 21 and still going to school so I couldnt watch it for too long. I’m currently an Assistant Manager at Lynbrook but split my time with Westbury as well. I will be leaving the company soon for a better opportunity.

xxlive9xx
xxlive9xx on August 22, 2007 at 4:53 am

I’m not sure if you are referring to Lanny Brown. He has worked at the Lynbrook for over 25 years…and yes a true gentleman. If you do give us another chance please ask for me. I’d like to share some theatre knowledge with you. Thanks for the response!

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on August 22, 2007 at 4:41 am

Hey Mike… I’m sure you know this already, but your theater’s greatest asset is the wonderful staff you have. Particularly the gentleman who presides up front where the tickets are ripped. A very friendly bunch and I hope you treat them well! If I ever bring myself to take another stab and test out the theater’s A/C, I’ll be sure to say hello to you.

xxlive9xx
xxlive9xx on August 22, 2007 at 3:57 am

Ed…
The air conditioning has been fixed. Of course I can agree that I would like to see the building preserved. However, the issue as always is the cost. They have found that because of the layout of the theatre it would cost far more money to do that then just replace the existing theatre. I’ve heard someone mention the plumbing being a huge problem. It is a shame but I myself am begining to believe that this will end up being a situation where Regal just sucks what they can from this theatre and sells it when it is no longer profitable. Maybe they can use another bank on those five corners!

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on August 21, 2007 at 6:48 pm

I used to attend movies at the Lynbrook back in the 1980’s when it was a quartet. I’ve recently moved into Lynbrook from Queens and have visited the theater twice in the last few weeks. The first occasion was to see the movie “1408” which was playing in the pitifully small theater that has been constructed within former retail space just off the entrance foyer. Avoid this “screening room” at all costs if you like to see movies on a big screen – the room is a small square box and the screen anything but big. The night I went, the A/C was out in the main building but was working in the two newest theaters (the store front space I attended and the theater converted from the old backstage area).

Just a week or so ago, I took my son to the Lynbrook to see “The Simpsons Movie” and once again found that the A/C was not working in the main building. The wonderfully nice ticket-taker (an older gentleman who has worked there for years) was advising that the upstairs theaters were unbearably hot but that the two former orchestra auditoriums were reasonably comfortable. He allowed me to walk in to check out the room before I had to purchase our tickets. It seemed OK so I forged ahead. Little did I realize that I would be spending much of the movie swatting at the gnats that were buzzing around the theater in the humidity. I probably should have asked for my money back, even though we stuck it out to the end of the movie.

The place (particularly the older four theaters) has definitely been neglected over the years – the usual UA treatment. I would have guessed that the well worn padded wooden seats were the originals from 1923, but they probably only date back to the original division of the orchestra floor as they were clearly properly oriented towards the screen. Still, that means they date to the late 1970’s! Any decor that may remain from the theater’s original architecture is obscured by a thick red padding that now adorns the walls and a drap commercial drop ceiling in the lobby and foyer spaces. I haven’t been in the balcony theaters for many years, so I’m not sure if any original design elements are visible.

Mike… I appreciate your point of view as the theater’s manager, but I wonder if the place wouldn’t benefit from some TLC by Regal rather than bulldozing the structure and starting new. There is much history here and to have it unceremoniously razed – without even the consideration of upgrading the facilities – would be a shame. I would love it if any of the original design could be salvaged. Perhaps the drop ceiling could be removed to expose the original lobby decor – if any of it still exists. Even a gut job within the shell of the old theater with a restoration of the facade would be preferrable to a brand new structure. It’s really quite a handsome building and some of that character ought to be preserved.

And whatever happens – fix that air conditioning!

xxlive9xx
xxlive9xx on August 21, 2007 at 3:41 am

I’m a little shocked that I’ve come across this site. I’m currently a manager at the UA Lynbrook and have been since February 2000. In June of 2005 I was transferred to the UA Westbury theatre but have recently split my time between these two theatres as well as the UA Patchogue theatre. While the condition of the theatre has clearly shown it’s age it hasnt been given fair treatment with reguards to ownership. Prior to 2002 United Artist’s had full intentions of giving Lynbrook a new 12 screen theatre. The village and CEO’s for United Artist’s were in constant talks and blueprints were even created. United Artist’s filed Chapter 11 in 2000 and Regal Cinemas (now known as Regal Entertainment Group) acquired Edwards theatre’s and United Artist’s in 2002. Plans for the new theatre were put on hold due to the fact that they have been unable to work out an agreement on parking, the restauraunt next door is an issue, and of course other projects. From what I have heard there is now no plans for at least the next two years to do anything with the theatre. They have replaced a large portion of the roof which cost around $30,000 as well as purchase 3 new compressors for the HVAC system….maybe $10,000….and have had some of the hallways in the past few weeks repainted and fixed. The theatre needs to be knocked down…and I hope that the company sees this soon before it’s too late.

As for the loss of the union projectionist’s…I’d like to add that most manager’s now are level 4 certified operators. We are capable of running the booth properly and have done a quality job since the loss of the union in most of our theatres. However, I will say that this does not make up for the experience that most union operators have. I would prefer for the union to be doing the job instead of me…but I don’t want people to believe that managers are incapable of threading up and running a show flawlessly.

guitarteen226
guitarteen226 on July 21, 2007 at 1:31 am

hey we in lynbrook like our theartre ya it has fallen into disrepar but that can b fixd ,if u want 2 have more screens than when the resterant next door closes than add more but keep the orgininnal structure!!!
that theatre is historic, it dates back to around 1918
the stage uptairs is amasing, i was there 4 a friends bday party many years ago, most people dont even know their is a stage up their!!!!
yes their is plenty of room 4 improvement but it doesnt mean that it has 2 b rebuilt

many historic things in lynbrook r gone like the lynbrook airdome
half the reason the site was maid was to PRESERVE THEATRES so how about WE DO EXACTY THAT

guitarteen226
guitarteen226 on July 21, 2007 at 1:31 am

that theatre is historic, it dates back to around 1918

many historic things in lynbrook r gone like the lynbrook airdome

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on March 28, 2007 at 5:21 pm

EdSolero- Re: your 11/24 comments on the marquee, they re-did the marquee at the Criterion on Times Square in the same manner – United Artists across the top and ‘The Broadway’ on the bottom. I never knew what that was suppose to mean as they continued to advertise in the paper as United Artists Criterion.

Vito
Vito on March 28, 2007 at 2:21 pm

The changeover to managers in the booth is spreading all over the country. IATSE Local 640 of Nassau and Suffolk counties has been able to keep the wolves from the door until now, but it has been common in New Jersey and Westchester for a while now. Only NY Local 306 is able to prevent this, due in part to the requirement by NYC law of an operator’s license. Although I suppose one could argue it’s only a matter of time before managers get licenses or the license is done away with. Optioning a license requires only a written exam; the practical booth exam has been done away with, and costs only$60 every two years. I retired in 2005 but still plan on renewing my license every two years.
Of course the quality of the projection goes down hill with ushers running the booth, but managers in some circuits are receiving projectionist training prior to going into the booth and as a result seem to be doing a fair job. The problems come about when managers are required to perform other duties simultaneous to their booth work, or when union operators are required to operate two locations at a time. I believe the projectionist should never leave the booth.
As for cost, of course it’s cheaper for the exhibitor to employ managers, and they are of the mindset if they lose a show or two it’s still cheaper than having a pro in the booth full time.
So the sad truth is, expect less and less professionals running the show and more and more mishaps on the screen. I do however believe it will be quite a while before you see that in city theatres, I hate to see that change anytime soon.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on March 27, 2007 at 9:32 pm

I saw a movie at the Lynbrook this weekend and when I asked if Tom the projectionist was working that night, I was shocked to learn that they have fired all their projectionists, and now the “managers” are running the show. I spoke to a manager and she told me it happened about a month ago, to save money, and was happening at the smaller UA sites. This was always a union shop and I dread that the quality of presentation will now deteriorate. The night I was there, they couldn’t get the sound to work on the pre-show advertising (a blessing?) and I guess it’s all downhill from here.

Meredith, what say you?

BMitchell
BMitchell on March 3, 2007 at 3:39 am

Lost Memory … awesome postcard photo. I worked in the Lynbrook quad for a couple of years in the early 80’s. Many, many fond memories. The old stage, and the “elephant doors” opening to Hempstead Avenue are gone I guess (WHAT a pity), but what about the basement changing rooms? I’ve been there since it was six-plex’d and there doesn’t appear to be any use now of the basement, but it is there. And the ghost stories … anyone?