State Theatre

703 S. Broadway,
Los Angeles, CA 90014

kencmcintyre on March 3, 2007 at 1:19 pm

Here is a larger version of the photo at the top of the page:

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 7, 2006 at 12:55 pm

Robby the Robot made a personal appearance here in March 1956 to promote “Forbidden Planet”, but to refer to him as a “monster” as it does in this L.A. Times ad is not only inaccurate, but more than a little insulting :)

kencmcintyre on October 7, 2006 at 8:35 am

This is V-J Day in 1945, via the LA Library:

kencmcintyre on September 1, 2006 at 12:50 pm

Here is a 1920s photo. The feature is “Cheaper to Marry”. I don’t know if I agree with that:

kencmcintyre on June 26, 2006 at 9:48 am

I thought this 1946 photo was interesting as it shows the theater as being open all night. As I have read, many theaters were open 24 hours during the war as the workers were on staggered shifts. This may have been a carryover:

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on May 2, 2006 at 12:04 am

On a recent visit to the official web site of the Los Angeles Theatre, when I clicked on the “Other Locations” link at the top of the page, I saw that the State Theatre was listed, along with the William Fox Building. Apparently, these two properties have been added to the holdings of Michael Delijani’s Delson Investment Company. As the Delson Company has been doing an excellent job with the restoration of the Los Angeles Theatre, and has plans to restore the Palace Theatre as well, this seems a very hopeful sign for the State Theatre.

William on March 28, 2006 at 11:45 am

Under the time the Loew’s State Theatre was under operations of Fox West Coast Theatres, they did a remodel in 1945 and Skouras-ized the theatre.

MagicLantern on January 22, 2006 at 1:41 pm

There’s a “for rent” sign on this theatre recently.

kencmcintyre on January 14, 2006 at 11:10 am

Cinematours has a set of color photos that are worth a look:

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on December 3, 2005 at 12:44 am

The L.A. Public Library’s photo database includes a number of pictures of Loew’s State under construction, including this one.

kencmcintyre on November 15, 2005 at 7:03 am

I walked by the State yesterday. The resident church was having some kind of open house, with refreshments. I wanted to go inside, but I didn’t want to hear the accompanying lecture on my salvation, so I wussed out. Maybe next time.

kencmcintyre on November 12, 2005 at 12:27 pm

1938 postcard, from the Pomona Public Library:

UKuser on November 1, 2005 at 10:45 pm

T'he Los Angeles Theatre' on South Broadway, LA is playing host to the UK television show ‘Dead Famous LIVE’. We are currently looking for people who would like to come along as part of the studio audience.

‘Dead Famous LIVE’ is a studio entertainment show all about Hollywood History and the paranormal. We will be welcoming celebrity guests on to the show and investigating famous locations around Hollywood which are rumoured to be haunted including the Los Angeles Theatre itself.

This is an invaluable chance to get access to the Los Angeles Theatre, the place where Charlie Chaplin’s ‘City Lights’ premiered in 1931 and to have a thoroughly great day out! (And its free!!)

We’re transmitting ‘Live’ back to the United Kingdom so expect it to be exciting and fun!

We will be filming on three days from 11th – 13th November between 11.30am – 4pm. If you are interested in coming on one or all of these days then email me for tickets!

I look forward to your responses!

lawrencethomas on October 23, 2005 at 3:28 am

After eating lunch across the street at Clifton’s Brookdale Cafeteria (an amazing survivor of a more gracious era in Los Angeles history) the other day, I walked over to look at the State Theater. Of all the movie palaces on Broadway in Downtown Los Angeles, this one may have the least impressive exterior, but a visit inside of what is now used as a church reveals hidden treasure. The interior is still incredibly ornate, and is surprisingly well-preserved.
And the folks there are friendly, particularly if you can manage at least a little broken Spanish, as I did to gain entry.

kencmcintyre on October 11, 2005 at 1:42 pm

Thanks for the correction.

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on October 8, 2005 at 11:55 am

It is the Pantages, later Warner and Warren, now a jewelry mart. The caption should read 7th and S. Hill St.

kencmcintyre on October 8, 2005 at 11:36 am

The USC Digital Archive says the theater in this picture was on the southwest corner of 7th and Broadway. Wouldn’t that be the State Theater? The website says it is the Pantages.