United Palace of Cultural Arts

4140 Broadway,
New York, NY 10033

jflundy
jflundy on July 31, 2009 at 8:05 am

As William has reported, the Reverend Ike has passed on. The Reverend deserves a lot of credit for the Loew’s 175th Street Theatre surviving in the form we see today.

A link to his obit in the New York Times is provided by Warren.

William
William on July 30, 2009 at 8:04 am

Reverend Ike died on Tuesday July 28th. 2009 in Los Angeles at age 74.

wurl240
wurl240 on June 18, 2009 at 12:20 pm

I’ve been told the old Robert Morton organ console burned in the theatre a few year back. It was gold gilt and jeweled console when I heard organist Lee Erwin in concert in 1971. Any plans to restore
the console…? And, I think this Morton sounds better than many
others. If it’s not working, what’s it take to get the organ
playing…?

Bway on May 18, 2009 at 7:48 am

Haha, not to reopen the controversy on “what” the title of this theater is, and the NY Times may not have had “the” as part of the name, but it did have “Theater” as part of the name…..“United Palace Theater”. :)

Bway on May 18, 2009 at 7:47 am

For some reason, I couldn’t read that link without logging into the NY Times site, but found another link on google which I didn’t have to sign in for:

Bway on April 23, 2009 at 5:05 am

Thanks so much Joshua for sharing the link with us.

JoshuaCohen
JoshuaCohen on April 20, 2009 at 1:17 pm

A story I did on the United Palace for WNET, New York’s flagship public television station went up on the web today. The piece has some great shots of the interior and gives a good sense of how the building is being used today:

Bway on April 19, 2009 at 10:05 am

It’s just wonderful that this theater is so well preserved.

JoshuaCohen
JoshuaCohen on March 18, 2009 at 1:44 pm

I’m researching a potential story on The United Palace Theater for Channel 13, NYC’s flagship public television station.

I would love to hear from people with a personal connection to the theater, anyone who used to visit the theater as a kid to watch movies, or attended church services during Rev Ike’s heyday. Or even anyone who used to perform there. Please contact me at

Thanks

Bway on February 12, 2009 at 5:04 pm

I was just looking at the link from Life magazine that Warren posted Jan 28th, and then the Ticketmaster seating chart and apprently in the older photo of church service, the 175th St theater didn’t have a center aisle, but it appears that in the current photos (in the United Palace link I linked above Feb 9th) and in the Ticketmaster chart as now having a center aisle. I would assume it would make sense to have a center aisle as a church, so that’s probably why they made it.

Ross Melnick
Ross Melnick on February 10, 2009 at 11:00 am

Warren, I agree with you. I will try and verify the name and get back to you.

Bway on February 10, 2009 at 9:53 am

Haha, this has got to be the most “what is the name of this place” theater on the site.
But in any even, whatever the name of this theater is, I think we can all agree that the places is still a spectacular theater, and the church has done a great job keeping this “cinema treasure” with us, and the extra bonus is that it’s even once again occasionally being used as a theater….. I don’t think we could ask for too much more.

Ross Melnick
Ross Melnick on February 10, 2009 at 9:38 am

Hi Warren — I certainly did not intend to reopen this debate. As previously discussed, please note their URL (http://www.theunitedpalace.com/home.htm) and the name throughout their website: “The United Palace.” I agree with you that it seems strange, but we use the names that theaters/venues provide.

Ross

Ross Melnick
Ross Melnick on February 9, 2009 at 2:52 pm

There was a long debate about this some months ago. We used the name the theater/church goes by — not the one Ticketmaster has.

Bway on February 9, 2009 at 2:36 pm

Actually, I just noticed that….it doesn’t say Theater(re) at all!

Bway on February 9, 2009 at 1:28 pm

….actually, United Palace Theatre, not Theater…. :)

Bway on February 9, 2009 at 1:26 pm

Ticketmaster has a seating chart available for The United Palace Theater:

Bway on February 9, 2009 at 1:25 pm

They have had some really big names perform at the United Palace, and while most are not my thing, a few remotely have. Again, if anyone even remotely…..

LuisV
LuisV on February 9, 2009 at 1:15 pm

I agree Bway! What’s truly special about this theater is that the church, who beautifully restored and maintined this palace over the years, has made it available to be used by the public for secular purposes; i.e. concerts. This is pretty rare and I look forward to someday being able to attend a concert here someday as well. The groups that play here don’t tend to be my cup of tea, but like Bway says. if I am remotely interested, I would love to go just to expeirience the theater in a non-religious way.

I just found out that the B-52’s are expected to play the St. George on Staten Island later this year. That’s a group I would love to see!

Bway on February 9, 2009 at 1:12 pm

Actually, here’s a WONDERFUL slideshow on the United Palace Theater’s website which shows how intact and beautiful the theater still is. Simply spectacular:

Bway on February 9, 2009 at 1:09 pm

Thanks for that photo. The place looks beautiful inside. Thank goodness it was taken over by a church that has beautifully maintained the place all these years…. So many other theaters weren’t as lucky, and instead were left to rot.
Now I think it’s wonderful it’s come full circle, and the place is once again sometimes used as a theater again.
The stage still looks very intact in this photo, which mush have been soon after it closed as a theater.

Has anyone been in the place for a recent concert? I would love to see a current photo. I occasionally check it’s bookings. If it’s ever someone I am even slightly interested in seeing perform, and I am available, I would probably go to the concert just to see the inside of the theater.

LuisV
LuisV on January 27, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Does this theater still have the capacity to show films? The actual web site is not clear though a prior post says that it does. No one, however, has even posted a comment saying that they have seen a film at this theater after Reverend Ike took over.

I mention it because “In The Heights” the 2008 Tony award winner for best musical has announced that the feature film rights have been sold and we can expect a film version of this incredible musical in the next 1-2 years.

What better place to hold the World Premiere that at the Loews 175th Street Theatre, which actually is “In The Heights”!

Imagine the glamour, the red carpet, the attention that it would give to this incredible building!

Bway on January 23, 2009 at 1:00 am

You can search by current or former names. When you do your first search, as screen will come up, and you can click “former names” and search both current and former names at the same time.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on January 22, 2009 at 5:57 pm

P.S.: Calling it the United Palace or whatever doesn’t make me sad at all, because incredibly this beautiful theater has survived and is in gorgeous condition. It would be only a memory today if the folks who call it the United Palace had not bought it and preserved it!

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on January 22, 2009 at 5:51 pm

This naming situation seems to be sparking unnecessary controversy. The list owners should have one policy and stick to it: either list theatres by their original name – or – list them by the current name.

The Internet Broadway Database presents a nice model by neatly listing all names a theatre has been called along with the relevant dates below the current name. Of course they have far fewer tehaters to keep track of than Cinema Treasures.

Apparently the list policy is to use the current name which does create a bit of a conundrum here because the theatre is known both as the Palace Cathedral for worship and the United Palace for other events. So, “United Palace” seems best in this case. Like it or not, the theatre has now been called the United Palace just as long as it was the 175th St Theatre.

My own choice would be to name each page by the theatre’s original name. But even this would cause controversy too, as sometimes a later name would be the most familiar one. But anyway, I don’t have to do the work of maintaining this wonderful site so it’s not my choice.

The ideal would be for theatres to be searchable by both the current article title and any previous names they were known by.
Cheers!