United Palace of Cultural Arts

4140 Broadway,
New York, NY 10033

TLSLOEWS on February 11, 2010 at 3:26 pm

How could someone look up the Loews 175th. theatre by the name it is now if they do not know it? This site is about theatres right.

MGrifo on January 29, 2010 at 3:38 pm

I’m going to see the Allman Brothers in March. Can anyone recommend a decent/safe hotel with parking within a reasonable cab ride from the theater?

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on January 14, 2010 at 3:21 pm

The movie palaces of Washington Heights and Inwood.

Bway on January 6, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Very interesting! Thanks!

HowardBHaas on August 4, 2009 at 1:05 pm

here’s a followup NY Times article on the passing of Reverand Ike and the effect on the church:

HowardBHaas on July 31, 2009 at 11:18 am

Yesterday, I emailed the NY Times article to homepage for news, after seeing William’s comment.

jflundy on July 31, 2009 at 11:05 am

As William has reported, the Reverend Ike has passed on. The Reverend deserves a lot of credit for the Loew’s 175th Street Theatre surviving in the form we see today.

A link to his obit in the New York Times is provided by Warren.

William on July 30, 2009 at 11:04 am

Reverend Ike died on Tuesday July 28th. 2009 in Los Angeles at age 74.

wurl240 on June 18, 2009 at 3:20 pm

I’ve been told the old Robert Morton organ console burned in the theatre a few year back. It was gold gilt and jeweled console when I heard organist Lee Erwin in concert in 1971. Any plans to restore
the console…? And, I think this Morton sounds better than many
others. If it’s not working, what’s it take to get the organ

Bway on May 18, 2009 at 10:48 am

Haha, not to reopen the controversy on “what” the title of this theater is, and the NY Times may not have had “the” as part of the name, but it did have “Theater” as part of the name…..“United Palace Theater”. :)

Bway on May 18, 2009 at 10:47 am

For some reason, I couldn’t read that link without logging into the NY Times site, but found another link on google which I didn’t have to sign in for:

Bway on April 23, 2009 at 8:05 am

Thanks so much Joshua for sharing the link with us.

JoshuaCohen on April 20, 2009 at 4:17 pm

A story I did on the United Palace for WNET, New York’s flagship public television station went up on the web today. The piece has some great shots of the interior and gives a good sense of how the building is being used today:

Bway on April 19, 2009 at 1:05 pm

It’s just wonderful that this theater is so well preserved.

JoshuaCohen on March 18, 2009 at 4:44 pm

I’m researching a potential story on The United Palace Theater for Channel 13, NYC’s flagship public television station.

I would love to hear from people with a personal connection to the theater, anyone who used to visit the theater as a kid to watch movies, or attended church services during Rev Ike’s heyday. Or even anyone who used to perform there. Please contact me at

Bway on February 12, 2009 at 8:04 pm

I was just looking at the link from Life magazine that Warren posted Jan 28th, and then the Ticketmaster seating chart and apprently in the older photo of church service, the 175th St theater didn’t have a center aisle, but it appears that in the current photos (in the United Palace link I linked above Feb 9th) and in the Ticketmaster chart as now having a center aisle. I would assume it would make sense to have a center aisle as a church, so that’s probably why they made it.

Ross Melnick
Ross Melnick on February 10, 2009 at 2:00 pm

Warren, I agree with you. I will try and verify the name and get back to you.

Bway on February 10, 2009 at 12:53 pm

Haha, this has got to be the most “what is the name of this place” theater on the site.
But in any even, whatever the name of this theater is, I think we can all agree that the places is still a spectacular theater, and the church has done a great job keeping this “cinema treasure” with us, and the extra bonus is that it’s even once again occasionally being used as a theater….. I don’t think we could ask for too much more.

Ross Melnick
Ross Melnick on February 10, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Hi Warren — I certainly did not intend to reopen this debate. As previously discussed, please note their URL (http://www.theunitedpalace.com/home.htm) and the name throughout their website: “The United Palace.” I agree with you that it seems strange, but we use the names that theaters/venues provide.

Ross Melnick
Ross Melnick on February 9, 2009 at 5:52 pm

There was a long debate about this some months ago. We used the name the theater/church goes by — not the one Ticketmaster has.

Bway on February 9, 2009 at 5:36 pm

Actually, I just noticed that….it doesn’t say Theater(re) at all!

Bway on February 9, 2009 at 4:28 pm

….actually, United Palace Theatre, not Theater…. :)

Bway on February 9, 2009 at 4:26 pm

Ticketmaster has a seating chart available for The United Palace Theater:

Bway on February 9, 2009 at 4:25 pm

They have had some really big names perform at the United Palace, and while most are not my thing, a few remotely have. Again, if anyone even remotely…..

LuisV on February 9, 2009 at 4:15 pm

I agree Bway! What’s truly special about this theater is that the church, who beautifully restored and maintined this palace over the years, has made it available to be used by the public for secular purposes; i.e. concerts. This is pretty rare and I look forward to someday being able to attend a concert here someday as well. The groups that play here don’t tend to be my cup of tea, but like Bway says. if I am remotely interested, I would love to go just to expeirience the theater in a non-religious way.

I just found out that the B-52’s are expected to play the St. George on Staten Island later this year. That’s a group I would love to see!