Oasis Theatre

63-57 Fresh Pond Road,
Ridgewood, NY 11385

Panzer65
Panzer65 on May 31, 2007 at 1:51 pm

PKoch,
My reply from a May 30 posting, (sorry my time was short that day),the aesthetics of the Oasis from what I can recall were quite simple , if my memory serves me correctly. I believe that the Marquee was overhauled when I attended, and the balcony was closed due to people throwing things. My apologies , PKoch but I cant recall any more aesthetics at the Oasis, I can remember the ones at the Ridgewood, which I will post soon. In regards to the mini mall off Metropolitan Ave., they are functional to say the least,they appear to be a piece of the suburbs brought to the city. Being a life long city dweller I like the convenience they bring.

Panzer65
Panzer65 on May 31, 2007 at 1:42 pm

PKoch, in reply, I have not visited The Atlas Park cinema, but am happy that the lobby is one that has a look and feel that you just stepped into a movie house and not just some auditorium. In regards to the Loew’s Jersey City, its great to see classic theaters revived, the trend now is demolition, and hopefully Landmarks Preservation will move to landmark the Ridgewood, the oldest operating theater in NYC. The Loew’s Jersey city appears to be your favorite or one of them, can you describe it? Does it retain the classic features? As far as Green Acres, that, like the Oasis has a place in my heart, as I spent many times in my parents Chrysler at the defunct drive in, and plan on posting there as time allows. Screens are up to 24?!

PKoch
PKoch on May 30, 2007 at 1:07 pm

Panzer65, you’re welcome to my reply, and thanks for your reply, with all the details of the ballparks. It’s good to know that Citi Field will be an Ebbetts Field replica.

I understand that a Metro North RR station will be built adjacent to the old and new Yankee Stadiums as well.

Panzer65
Panzer65 on May 30, 2007 at 12:04 pm

PKoch, thanks for your reply, the only two classic ballparks left are
Boston’s Fenway Park built in 1912, and Chicago’s Wrigley Field built in 1911. Yankee Stadium, which was built in 1923, was renovated in 1974, and a lot of the old character of the old park were removed.
Incidentally, A new retro style replica of the original Yankee Stadium as it looked in 1923, is being constructed next to the old one, the only feature and this is a definite, is that columns holding the stands will not obstruct any views. It is slated to be completed in 2009, along with the Mets' Citi Field, an Ebbets Field replica.

PKoch
PKoch on May 30, 2007 at 7:32 am

To get back on topic here, we might also discuss the aesthetics of what the Oasis became : first, the roller rink, which Bway has done an excellent job describing his memories thereof, and second, the mini-mall (?) that now occupies that southeastern corner of Fresh Pond Road and Metropolitan Avenue, near the former Fresh Pond LIRR “station”.

PKoch
PKoch on May 30, 2007 at 7:27 am

Panzer65, thanks for your reply. What are the only two classic ball parks left ? It’s good that you’re noticing, and thinking in terms of, aesthetics. New theaters following the trend of the resurrection of “retro” ballparks ? Have you been to the new Atlas Park Cinema at 80th and Cooper in Glendale ? I was there last July 15th, 2006, and, although I didn’t see a film there, I did step into the outer lobby, and liked what I saw. It may not have been as splendid as the revived and restored Loew’s Jersey in Jersey City, but neither was it a concrete bunker at the end of the shopping mall ! I would rserve that “honor” and dubious distinction for the Green Acres 16-plex in Valley Stream, Nassau County, Long Island. Or is it up to twnety-four screens now ?

The lobby of the Green Acres Multiplex, when I was there the last Saturday of January 1987, to see “Star Trek IV”, was so busy, both visually, and in terms of people, that it reminded me of the New York Stock Exchange.

Panzer65
Panzer65 on May 29, 2007 at 3:12 pm

PKoch,
In response to your prior quote from Mr. Leno, indeed ,thats so true,and it does seem to apply to many new construction around the city, theres no aesthetic character being put into many buildings. But i’m starting to see a relationship between old theaters and old ballparks as far as asthetics go. There are only two classic ballparks left, the older ones were considered obsolete and demolished (that word!!). So in a resurrection of"retro" ballparks they decided to correct that mistake by replicating the look and feel of the past parks. I really wish the new theaters would follow that trend.

PKoch
PKoch on May 29, 2007 at 2:51 pm

Panzer65, you’re welcome. That’s a very good description of going to the Oasis, “your second home”, as a kid. Please keep posting here.

True, the new cinemas can’t replicate this. As Jay Leno said, years ago, it’s not a movie house any more. It’s a concrete bunker at the end of the shopping mall !

Panzer65
Panzer65 on May 29, 2007 at 2:02 pm

PKoch,
Thanks for your reply, in my youth living in Glendale in the 70’s, really was an age of innocence, I had a black and white TV that was 12 inches in the house I grew up in, considering the fact that we had no cable and few channels, going to the movies, especially the Oasis, was a cherished memory of my youth I will never forget, and enjoy sharing. I could not wait for Saturday, to walk to that big building with the fancy marquee outside, and the anticipation,,knowing you were going to your second home, where you knew you would enjoy your self! The old theaters like old ballparks, had that feel to them that new ones cant replicate.

Panzer65
Panzer65 on May 29, 2007 at 2:01 pm

PKoch,

PKoch
PKoch on May 29, 2007 at 12:37 pm

Thanks, MikeK. I’ve noticed the “Eat my meat” and “I’ll pork ya !” but not the “welcome home Timmy”. I remember posting about the first two phrases some time ago, if not on the Oasis Theater page, then on the page for some other Ridgewood theater.

Thanks for posting your Oasis movie memories, Panzer65. When I got back home to Ridgewood from my summer 1978 job in western Pennsylvania, I noticed the posters on light poles and traffic lights for a concert by Richard Hell and the Voidoids, and the Dead Boys, Saturday, August 12, 1978, at the Forest Park music grove and bandshell. I didn’t go, as I had returned two weeks later.

The one and only film I saw at the Oasis was “For The Love Of Benji”, the first or second Saturday in January, 1976.

Panzer65
Panzer65 on May 28, 2007 at 9:14 am

I spent many Saturday afternoons viewing matinée movies at the Oasis.At a young age I would walk there and my mother would give me money that today may buy perhaps a pack of gum.I would buy popcorn,soda, and admission, plus money left over.I preferred the Oasis over the Ridgewood and Madison, probably for its kid friendly cartoons and its location. I do recall its days as a concert venue, that being Richard Hell and the Voidoids. An unusual name indeed, I recall seeing this name pasted on light poles and walls, it also marked the beginning of the end of those days of movies there. As a teenager, I attended the roller rink, but it was much too small for its purpose.This building was my favorite theater.

Greenpoint
Greenpoint on May 20, 2007 at 7:04 pm

MichaelFef,
Good job on the vid:
I’m going to friend you…that took me back in time bigtime…in fact that black kid who skates into the frame looks like my friend Nils (or Emmanuel Lewis from Webster)

But seriously its good to see stuff from back in the day: before the hipster invasion-back when it was just neighborhood folks(not transplants from nebraska) having a pizza party and breakdancing with the occasional skating!

Greenpoint
Greenpoint on May 20, 2007 at 6:45 pm

I went here in 6th grade (1985).I had no idea it was ever a movie theatre…i did borrow $5 from my friend Nils and forgot about it until now (so how much is $5 after 22 years really worth?)

MikeK
MikeK on April 26, 2007 at 7:14 pm

So many memories indeed. The Hindenburg, Oh God, etc. as a kid. The weird punk rock shows. The roller rink, where I skated with my future wife. The neighborhood homeless guy (known as Frankie Jordy) who slept in the ticket booth when it was vacant. And finally, ANOTHER drug store(so many opened in Ridgewood in the 80’s. And the Karl Ehmer graffiti was done by a friend of mine (Anthony), when another friend (Timmy) came home from a year in jail. Remember it said “welcome home Timmy” as well as “I’ll pork ya” and “eat my meat”?

Bway
Bway on April 17, 2007 at 10:05 am

Wow, that brings back SO many memories….and wow, it’s “so” 80’s!!
Seeing the video though makes me remember that place almost perfectly from the roller rink days. I was lucky enough to remember it as both a theater in the 70’s when I was a kid, and as the roller rink as a teenager….many a good times in both ways…

mpfaeffle
mpfaeffle on April 13, 2007 at 3:57 am

Here’s a direct – I actually took it off my main page but it’s still in “My Videos”….

Bway
Bway on April 10, 2007 at 5:40 am

Mike, do you have a direct link? I can’t seem to find it, what’s the title of the video there?

mpfaeffle
mpfaeffle on March 29, 2007 at 3:06 pm

I have some video posted on my myspace site of a friend of mine, Buz, doing what was then called “uprock” in the middle dance area after the pyramids were removed. I have more of the skating – just have to find some time to convert and post it. :–)

Michael

R143
R143 on March 27, 2007 at 9:45 am

The Oasis was not in Glendale, but in Ridgewood, the intro address is incorrect. It’s not anywhere near Glendale – Maspeth perhaps, but certainly not Glendale. It needs to be changed to Ridgewood.

But anyway – does anyone know of any interior photos online from when the Oasis was a roller rink?

RobertR
RobertR on November 3, 2006 at 6:21 pm

This was certainly not the 39 classic. It played the Oasis October 69.

Bway
Bway on September 11, 2006 at 6:11 pm

Well, it’s some project to find that stuff, but it is interesting…

RobertR
RobertR on June 16, 2006 at 5:46 pm

Robert, do you have a stack of old newspapers you find these in, or where do you find all these great old ads?
posted by Bway on Jun 4, 2006 at 8:04pm

From two sources, I have access to ProQuest which has the NY & LA Times archives and also my own archives from when I booked and managed theatres. Glad you like them I have so many more I just need to find time to scan them.

Bway
Bway on June 13, 2006 at 10:38 am

Jim, for the record, and it’s mentikoned above, what was removed from the Oasis building is everyting except the actual auditorium itself, which is now the CVS store. The stores facing Fresh Pond Rd were all removed, as well as the entire lobby area, etc, which is where the parking lot is today.