Radio City Music Hall

1260 Avenue of the Americas,
New York, NY 10020

Showing 76 - 100 of 3,435 comments

DavidM
DavidM on November 4, 2013 at 9:40 pm

I’m going to be there this Friday morning for the first performance.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on November 4, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Didn’t see any during spring show rehearsals. “Snow” was only thing added for Christmas Show.

DavidM
DavidM on November 4, 2013 at 9:24 pm

rcdt, I meant for “Hearts and Lights”. And have they added a number to replace “Let Christmas Shine”?

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on November 4, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Other than “snow”, which has a kick line, same show as last year

DavidM
DavidM on November 4, 2013 at 9:09 pm

rcdt, from what I’ve read thus far, it appears Haberman and Co. are not putting in any “kick” numbers for the 36. Is this true?

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on November 4, 2013 at 8:55 pm

That was a great response David. Also, this just in……..we will be running a “trailer” at the beginning of every show for the spring show……

DavidM
DavidM on November 2, 2013 at 7:51 pm

rcdt55b, I agree with your assessment about “Snow”. It may be impossible to liven that number, short of having the skaters get married in Central Park. It could be made timelier if it was a same-sex marriage. That said, I have a go-to mantra during the slow sections of the show. I meditate, breathe and keep repeating, “The Hall could have been a parking lot.” I can’t wait to see the spring show.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on November 2, 2013 at 6:49 pm

“Snow” is putting me to sleep. Some spring show testing going on as well.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on October 23, 2013 at 9:36 pm

rcmh was the subject of a jeopardy answer last night in a category devoted to abbreviations.

Vito
Vito on October 23, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Mark and redt55b thanks for that update sure glad to hear 70mm film is staying for the 3D.

DavidM
DavidM on October 23, 2013 at 4:38 pm

I’m glad “Let Christmas Shine” is out. I kind of felt sorry for the six, count ‘em, six singers on the Choral Staircases. They looked so lonely. I hope its replaced with a good, old-fashioned Rockette tap number. And who is going to make the sophomoric joke about Radio City having “balls”? Oh, that would be me.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on October 23, 2013 at 4:08 pm

The “shine” number is gone. Snow scene was added. There will be large snowflake “balls” flying around the house…(this is a lawsuit waiting to happen)…..Some new content added to the digital projectors. 3D film staying the same and on film (as it should be).

markp
markp on October 22, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Vito, my wife is going to a meeting tom'w for all the wardrobe dresses. She heard thru the grapevine there might be some new numbers, but I don’t know if this will affect the booth.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on October 21, 2013 at 9:42 pm

And all those people in the 1940’s going into the theater in the middle of the show, and staying until they got to the part where they would say “this is where we came in…!

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on October 21, 2013 at 9:13 pm

The only lines i can recall that are the longest are those for the xmas spectacular, the easter show, and celebrity jeopardy. Even sold out concerts by big name artists can have long lines as well as the annual nfl draft.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on October 21, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I remember, when I was a kid, those lines used to zig-zag along a cordoned off path in the plaza between 51st and 50th Street, like the queue for a popular theme park ride. I’m pretty sure it fed from the plaza directly onto 50th Street and then up to the main box office. I suppose that helped contain the line as much as possible from having to use precious cross street sidewalk space. Of course, the crowds were no where near as large in the ‘70’s as they probably were during the Hall’s height as a cinema.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on October 21, 2013 at 7:22 pm

“The Bells of St. Mary’s” is the movie Al Pacino and Diane Keaton went to Radio City to see in “The Godfather”. I’m trying to imagine Michael and Kay waiting on that impossibly long line.

Vito
Vito on October 21, 2013 at 5:03 pm

What is the news about this years Christmas show will there be any changes? How will the booth be used

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on October 21, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Some of the longest outdoor waiting lines in RCMH’s history were for the 1945 Christmas Show, with the Crosby-Bergman “Bells of St. Mary’s” on screen. By mid-afternoon, new arrivals often found the end of the waiting line close to Fifth Avenue, on the NORTH side of West 51st Street! The line then moved west towards Sixth Avenue, crossed to the south side of 51st Street, and then continued east again as far as Rockefeller Plaza, where it continued south until 50th Street, when it turned west for its final descent to the box office entrance at Sixth Avenue…I’m posting an image in the Photos Section which shows a portion of one of those lines. Except possibly with a helicopter, I doubt if it would have been able to photograph an entire line due to intervening skyscrapers.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on October 18, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Marilyn Monroe’s first and only film to open at RCMH was “The Prince and the Showgirl,” which had its world premiere there on June 13th, 1957. I’ve posted two images in the Photos Section.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on October 4, 2013 at 5:23 pm

More details on the 90-minute stage spectacular “Heart and Lights,” starring the Rockettes, have become available. The show will open officially next April 3rd, with previews starting March 27th. Here’s a link: Heartandlights

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on October 4, 2013 at 5:16 pm

In the Photos Section, I’ve posted an ad for the world premiere engagement of William Wyler’s B&W “Roman Holiday,” which opened on August 27th, 1953. After seeing her very first Hollywood film open at the “Showplace of the Nation,” Audrey Hepburn went on to win the 1953 “Best Actress” Academy Award for her performance.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on September 26, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Ray Dolby was included in the In Memorium section of this year’s Emmy awards show.

Vito
Vito on September 26, 2013 at 1:15 pm

May I assume that now that those TV people have left the presidium has now been returned to original glory and all the work been completed on the removal of that desecration.? Yes I know a lot of folks thought it looked great for a national audience but I say humbug, if you want that go to Vegas and stop messing with the great stage.

Vito
Vito on September 21, 2013 at 11:14 am

Rob, Thanks for the heartwarming Ray Dolby tribute, he changed and greatly enhanced the way we hear recorded sound. During the sixties and most of the seventies 35mm sound had for the most part gone mono optical a full decade and a half of almost nonexistent stereo sound in the theatres. Then came Dolby and a breath of fresh air had been pumped into the theatres again, finally stereo sound was back bigger and better than ever. It also, thanks in many ways to George Lucas, revitalized 70mm which had all but disappeared. Yup movie sound had gotten pretty dull there for quite a while but Mr. Dolby forever changed that what a joy it has to be to have known both Ray and Ioan Allen both of whom brilliantly improved recorded sound.

I am glad you mentioned the confusion caused by magnetic prints being sent to theatres that could not play them, another great innovation in those times was of course mag/optical prints which to some degree solved that problem. I say some degree cause there was still the issue with one of the mag tracks overlapping slightly onto the optical track area but we lived with that